Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-22-2014, 9:35 AM
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Hollow-Base Bullets For Pistols ???

What, if any, differences would I notice vs standard flat bases? I'm thinking that the HB may tend to drive itself tighter against the rifling. Would this cause an increase in accuracy or pressure spike?

Also, I would think that given a common weight, the HB would have to be a bit longer than one with a flat base necessitating a new load work-up.

Specifically, I'm looking at Berry's 9mm 124rn if anyone has tried them. They are available in both styles.

Being north of 60 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 01-22-2014, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

I got roughly 50 fps of speed increase with the HB, and it had a slight increase in recoil. I was able to use 0.2 grains less of hp-38/win 231 powder. I was shooting in action pistol competitions and didn't notice any difference in performance or accuracy. I have switched to bear creek moly coated lead bullets as they are cheaper than berrys and work well.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I picked up almost 1000 of each, 148 grain flat base and 148 grain hollow base bullets, same maker, same profile. I have shot almost all of them and here is my take on the difference.

Since they were the same weigh and profile I thought if seated the same depth case volume would be the same because what was removed from the base to make hollow, was added to the sides (volume below the case mouth stays the same). The only difference I thought would be the hollow base being a little taller had more of a bearing surface and would probably cause more friction and like you said might expand the base (possibly raise pressure a little or seal better and raise speed?). They were loaded as .38 and .357 (most being .38) and not near max. They both (hollow & flat base) shot the same, POI was the same and I did not see any pressure signs to show any difference between them. I do not have a chrono to check speed though.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:35 PM
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlyps2 View Post
I picked up almost 1000 of each, 148 grain flat base and 148 grain hollow base bullets, same maker, same profile. I have shot almost all of them and here is my take on the difference.

Since they were the same weigh and profile I thought if seated the same depth case volume would be the same because what was removed from the base to make hollow, was added to the sides (volume below the case mouth stays the same). The only difference I thought would be the hollow base being a little taller had more of a bearing surface and would probably cause more friction and like you said might expand the base (possibly raise pressure a little or seal better and raise speed?). They were loaded as .38 and .357 (most being .38) and not near max. They both (hollow & flat base) shot the same, POI was the same and I did not see any pressure signs to show any difference between them. I do not have a chrono to check speed though.
Good point I totally missed that aspect. If I go with a HB, I'll just back off .2 grains just to be on the safe side.

Being north of 60 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:47 PM

I have always found I had to drive the HB bullets to near max velocity to get any accuracy from them. Anyone else share that experience?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-02-2014, 6:58 AM

I shoot 38 LHBWC as my target load, they are powder puffs.

I would not recommend anywhere near max loads with HB. It is known that if pushed too hard at times the skirt will separate from the bullet and lodge in the barrel, creating an obstruction for any follow up shoots. Stick strictly with the load data as given for HB bullets only.
Old 02-03-2014, 1:26 AM
Veteran Member

I like HB for 9mm because with my normal 231 load, flat base bullets often do some crunching of the powder and the HB doesn't. Guess I like the idea of not having a compressed load at all.