Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-16-2014, 6:32 PM

Default More FUD at The Range - Utah CFP Class

I took the Utah CFP class at The Range/Police Science Institute in Fresno, and the instructor was characteristically spreading FUD. He seemed to have this theory that a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit is really only a blanket for a California CCW, and that anywhere you carry you are carrying under your California CCW and subject to its restrictions.

The class was really only about filling out the application and getting the instructor's stamp, but I think even that part was misleading. He said that we were required to send Utah a copy of our California CCW, even though the instructions clearly say that "if your state does not recognize the Utah permit then this [requirement to send a copy of CCW] does not apply." California does not respect any other state's permits, and is not on Utah's list of states that this requirement applies to.

In another unrelated statement, he pointed out that he has a "Glock ten four" (I'm pretty sure this means a Gen 4 10mm Glock 20, but who knows) and that we (the students) couldn't get the same gun because he's law enforcement and we're not. I suppose he is an SSE-denier.
Old 01-16-2014, 6:37 PM

Guess I won't go their for my class.
Old 01-16-2014, 6:56 PM
Irritable Smut Lordô
CGN Contributor

I suspect what he probably said - and you misheard - was "Glock Gen 4." Which, yeah, you can't get and he can. (Without SSE, at least.)

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 01-16-2014, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
I suspect what he probably said - and you misheard - was "Glock Gen 4." Which, yeah, you can't get and he can. (Without SSE, at least.)
You are probably right. He probably wasn't wrong about the make of his gun. So he has that going for him, which is nice.
Old 01-16-2014, 9:31 PM

Bummer dude.
This has been known for some time now.

Quotes are from other threads, as linked.

Quote:
Need a ccw class in Fresno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
I have taken classes at The Range for the last few years to include my initial and about 2 renewal classes.
Now I got to tell you that my experience this last time (this past July) was terrible and I will now seek my next renewal elsewhere.
It is true that The Range is convenient but the quality of instruction has slipped a lot since my first class about 6 or so years ago.

Quote:
Just got CCW - Fresno PD

Quote:
Congratulations.
Iíve always felt a bit conflicted over the whole ordeal. Good that I got the permit but a bit dirty that I have to ask for permission from da man.

I took my class at The Range also years ago when it was much better quality.
I've taken a few renewals there and have seen the quality decline to a point that I will not go back. It was very convenient since you can take the class & shoot in the same session but this last time (about four months ago) I got into a heated confrontation with the douchbag reserve sheriff deputy over the heaps of FUD he was spreading around.

Anywho, I will be looking elsewhere in about a year & a half.
Quote:
The instructor spewing the FUD in my class was John Mikkelson.
It seemed to me (just a feeling based on his demeaner) that he was trying to make himself out to be someone of importance. He said he is a reserve sheriff deputy so of course he came to class dressed out in his vest, duty belt and badge. He came across rather aggresive but seemed to handle push back from myself and a couple others fairly well.
He made a point to remind everyone to keep concealed at all times because to do otherwise would expose us to a brandishing charge. This is of course NOT TRUE and in direct contradiction to what Kendra, (the lawyer lady) had told us just a half hour earlier.
This is but one of a handful of instances of FUD he laid out before us.

I stand by my assessment and will not return for my next renewal.

I am taking recommendations for other instructors in the Fresno area.

"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."
--- Jeff Cooper, June 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Put you link where your opinion is.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

One place to avoid, where would you guys suggest to go to instead? Preferably closer to Riverside/San bernardino
Old 01-20-2014, 8:53 PM

Yeah, that sounds like The Range to me.