Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 01-14-2014, 9:18 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default AAR LMS Defense Evolution of Mindset, 14-15 Dec 2013

On 14-15 December 2013 LMS Defense held our Evolution of Mindset course at our purpose built reality based training facility in Oroville, CA. The instructors for the course were Dr. Neal Olshan a psychologist who specializes in performance psychology and Josh Jackson a veteran police officer and instructor. LMS Defense’s Northern California Training Center is a roughly 6000 square foot scenario based training facility designed to provide civilians and law enforcement the opportunity to train in furnished facility that is representative of the environments that we find ourselves in. The ability to replicate household, commercial and industrial environments at one training site is unique and allows LMS Defense instructors the ability to conduct training that is realistic, relevant using skills that are repeatable.
The Evolution of Mindset course differs from what has become the “norm” in tactical training. Although most firearms trainers teach to some aspect of mindset in their curriculum, the majority of courses focus on the skills of delivering accurate fire on a paper or steel target and how to most efficiently manipulate your handgun or carbine. The Evolution of Mindset course is different. The focus of this course is the mind.
Proper mindset is critical in order to be successful in any endeavor be it business, sports, relationships or combat. Learning how your brain works and subsequently how to control your physiological responses to stress is paramount to winning. The Evolution of Mindset curriculum takes a segmented approach to teaching the students how to manage their response to stress and ultimately the stress of reality based scenarios. Although scenario based training cannot exactly replicate the true stress of a life and death encounter many aspects of critical decision making can be replicated closely enough to allow the student to practice the skills.
Prior to the course students are provided with a series of audio recorded mental exercises to help them begin to understand what the curriculum would entail and work towards a baseline skill set for the first day of the course. At the beginning of training day 1 the students met at the training center and after handling administrative tasks and a safety briefing Dr. Olshan taught a classroom block covering basic brain function and responses to stress. As part of the lecture specific areas of focus were identified by the students. These included the ability to focus under stress, making quick decisions, fear of pain and the unknown, ad fear of failure in front of their peers and family. It was interesting to note that the group of students made up of both civilians and law enforcement professionals had many similar fears and concerns. Through the incorporation of wireless heart monitors student baselines were established. Additionally there was a substantial use of video to allow students to see firsthand what they did and did not do during the training evolutions. Following the lecture, students were introduced to the first of several building block training exercises which were each designed to successively increase the level of stress and problem solving complexity for the students. Many of the scenarios were performance based in that a task had to be accomplished while processing outside stressors. Force on Force scenarios were also used to create a greater level of realism for the students. As will all classes held at the training center all necessary equipment was provided to the students. For this course the force on force component was conducted using a mix of airsoft, Shock Knife and light combatives. As each training scenario was presented and completed, student data was collected and then evaluated. After each evolution the tools that were provided to the students were also modified to increase the student’s ability to manage stress and their own physiological responses to stress.
Scenario based training is a delicate dance of managing training opportunity and student down time. To maximize the training the scenarios are kept short and focus on particular stressful aspects of violent encounters or everyday situations that may I fact be different than they appear. After breaking for diner the class returned to the training center for an evening session. At the conclusion of the evening session the students indentified and codified their personal methodology to manage their response to stress in a short duration.
Training day 2 began at the training center and after the requisite safety briefing and discussion of the learning points of the first day we moved directly into additional training scenarios. During the first day of training students worked towards skills that allowed them to reduce their level of stress and control the physiological response in a time frame of less than a few seconds. The goal of day two was to decrease that time substantially to allow the student to control their stress response in a little time as two seconds or for example the time it takes to move to a breech point and then make entry into the room. Each of the scenarios presented to the students throughout day two worked towards this goal and as with day one each scenario was debriefed and pertinent video was reviewed.
When teaching shooting skills it is easy to set a validated standard of performance and measure students against that standard. The skills taught in this class can also be measured through the real time data that is collected. Over the course of the two days this data was recorded and evaluated which provided each student an individualized roadmap to their application of the skills. For instructors it is always a great feeling to watch students perform a skill better at the completion of the course based on what they have learned. As an instructor of firearms skills it is hoped that our students will never need to apply those skills in a life or death situation and if the needs should ever arise that the student’s application of the skills will allow them to succeed. The unique aspect of this course is that not only do the skills apply to managing stress and the physiological responses to it during a life or death encounter but these same skills can be applied to a variety of everyday situations. If you are looking for a new opportunity to challenge yourself and build on the skills that you have been using on the flat range by incorporating them into realistic scenarios this class just may be what you are looking for.

I would also like to thank the following companies for their support of LMS Defense and our students.
XGO- Performance base layers
www.proxgo.com
Slip 2000- Extreme Weapons Lube
www.Slip2000.com
Cell: (530)403-9420
Email: JoshJackson@LMSDefense.com
www.LMSDefense.com
Old 01-14-2014, 9:20 AM
Vendor/Retailer

www.LMSDefense.com
Old 01-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Vendor/Retailer

www.LMSDefense.com
Old 02-12-2014, 9:30 PM

Well first off I have been training for a few years now with a variety of instructors and training companies. I feel hands down that this class was extremely beneficial for me.
There has been a natural progression in my training starting in pistol, carbine and shotgun classes for fundamentals, speed and accuracy. Then I got into the home defense classes LMS offers and this introduced the stress, target identification/threat assessment, force on force and movements that fighting inside of structures requires.
Then there is this class, Evolution of Mindset. This class for me was a combination of all the previous LMS classes I had taken. It required me to focus on the basics while learning the new skill sets of the class. It linked together the fundamental principle of square range accuracy and speed, then added the CQB movement, problem solving skills, target identification/threat assessment and force on force aspects of the home defense classes. All that with a healthy serving of stress inducing activities, problem solving scenarios and stress from light combatives.
When I first started my heart rate was the through the roof. At one point it hit 160BPM after one scenario of physical exertion and stressful scenario. But using the tools that were given to me by the end of the class I would only get to about 115-125 BPM on a bad adrenaline dump but could recover quickly and still function. I was no longer getting auditory exclusion, tunnel vision or having a hard time breathing! It was really a huge help.
I am very happy I took the class and look forward to furthering my training and expanding my tool box.
A big thank you to Josh Jackson for putting this course together with Dr. Neal Olshan. I look forward to seeing how this evolves!
To me not only my life may depend on the training I do but the lives of my loved ones may as well and to me that is my everything. That's why I train!

Orlando G
Old 02-12-2014, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the review, good stuff going on in Nor Cal.