Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-13-2014, 3:25 PM

If you dont clean them than who will.
Old 01-13-2014, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
I shoot USPSA competition with some ladies and asked if they clean their guns. Both told me they don't clean their guns nor do they load their ammo. Their husbands clean their guns and load their ammo!!

They just shoot!
Oh, now, I don't load. I can, and used to, but I find it so boring. Meanwhile, my husband loves to work up loads and do all of the fiddly stuff associated with loading. I just shoot whatever he makes for me, or else I go buy what I want.

He has an interest in it and I don't. He's not much interested in my livestock projects, so I do every bit of dirty work with those, unless he gets a wild hair to get involved.
Old 01-13-2014, 4:46 PM

That's a no brainer. I would never trust someone touching my expensive guns.
Old 01-13-2014, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
I clean mine, but certainly not after every trip. Stripping my CZ's is a real pain, literally. I have a hard time punching out the slide stop and putting it back in because I have small hands and don't have the brute force, so he sometimes helps with that. I do the cleaning myself, but find it a little frustrating.
my CZs were rough too until they broke in, perhaps my "cheater" method might be of some use to you.

grab a plastic soda/water/pom top and a plastic putty knife (.88 Home depot). place the cap on a hard surface (flat side up) and put the slidestop point on it and press down. the stop should lift up 1/4" or so. slip the plastic putty knife under that space and PING! since it is plastic vs steel i have yet to see any marring on the slide from this method.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:24 PM

I throw mine in the drive, put some Dawn in the feed, and use the pressure washer............

Then I dunk 'em in the 50 gal. barrel of 30W gear lube.....

Dalai Lama

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 01-13-2014 at 11:33 PM..
Old 01-14-2014, 3:25 AM

Yes, of course I clean them.........silly question......... : )

cheers

Carla
Old 01-14-2014, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Charles View Post
Must have missed what you had to say. Did you redact it for a particular purpose, or out of habit?
Old 01-14-2014, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitcheyRch View Post
If you dont clean them than who will.
Some gents I know take their firearms (AR15s and SGs) to their LGS and pay for cleaning! A few have even asked me to help them!

So, next week, I'm having a gun-cleaning, Chinese Take-Out and Martini party at the request of one of my gentleman shooting buddies! He's bringing the Take-Out!!
Old 01-14-2014, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphodel View Post
Yes, of course I clean them.........silly question......... : )

cheers

Carla
Not so silly. I don't make assumptions, I just wanted to hear from the other Ladies in the Forum! Thanks for responding.
Old 01-14-2014, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Oh, now, I don't load. I can, and used to, but I find it so boring. Meanwhile, my husband loves to work up loads and do all of the fiddly stuff associated with loading. I just shoot whatever he makes for me, or else I go buy what I want.

He has an interest in it and I don't. He's not much interested in my livestock projects, so I do every bit of dirty work with those, unless he gets a wild hair to get involved.
I haven't put much thought into loading, yet! Who knows, one day I may have to if the search gets really difficult and if I ever get some spare time. You're lucky to have an "in-house", direct connection to loads!
Old 01-14-2014, 8:02 AM

You dishwasher gals crack me up!
Old 01-14-2014, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrr View Post
What amazes me is when you purchase a gun they only tell you how to field strip and lube. When we really need to know the complete detail of taking down and putting back together.

I love YouTube for this but hate that I have to go through multiple videos to find what I need. Once I see it no issues taking apart and putting back together.

Amen!
Old 01-14-2014, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
I clean mine, but certainly not after every trip. Stripping my CZ's is a real pain, literally. I have a hard time punching out the slide stop and putting it back in because I have small hands and don't have the brute force, so he sometimes helps with that. I do the cleaning myself, but find it a little frustrating.
Well, I just got a new CZ, so I will have to see how difficult it is! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-14-2014, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
I shoot USPSA competition with some ladies and asked if they clean their guns. Both told me they don't clean their guns nor do they load their ammo. Their husbands clean their guns and load their ammo!!

They just shoot!
Now, that's the life!!

Oops, oh, yeah, that's someone else's life!
Old 01-14-2014, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
With respect to the Ladies Forum... (I found this via the "New Posts" link, I don't normally troll the Ladies page)...

My wife is perfectly competent to clean her own guns. There are two that are an SOB to re-assemble (Para P-14 LDA and a Ruger Mark III) so she shoots them rarely because of the dread of getting them all back together. Her primary pistol is a Sprinfield XD and it is a breeze to strip, clean and re-assemble. I believe she cleaned her AR exactly one time, at the range. She managed it with ease, so I have no dobut she could do it again.

She has a tendency to rely on me for chores that are dirty, require mechanical aptitude or exposure to chemicals. I'm kinda ok with that. I don't like tasks that involve a high level of fussy detail, such as ironing shirts. So we have an "exchange of labor" agreement of sorts. As a consequence, I do the majority of gun maintenance in the house due to the fact that my guns are usually dirty when hers are, and there's no sense in both of us getting our hands dirty. But she can certainly manage on her own when necessity arises, and did well before we ever met.

Now, when it comes to deep cleaning, there are times when a man needs to know his limits. An AR is a piece of cake to fully strip. A lot of other guns are not so forgiving. I've had the Ruger revolvers completely apart and it's a chore but do-able if you can manage getting the spring-loaded parts apart and back together (can be tough on the hands/fingers though). I'm sure my wife would have a very difficult time with that just because of the hand strength required. A lot of the rifles and shotguns we own have some complicated inards. I would need a manual and some specialized gunsmithing tools to give these a full disassembly, cleaning, lube and reassembly. There are some tasks it is just a better idea to hire out.
Thanks for your post! Yes, I am familiar with the exchange of labor concept and yes, the ARs are challenging for me and my girlfriends. It's OK, we're building up our arm strength!
Old 01-14-2014, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
Even though I do clean my own (and enjoy it as said in the previous post) I will admit that sometimes I do wait till the next day... /gasp
Gasp! Me, too!
Old 01-14-2014, 8:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrr View Post
Yep clean all of mine. Usually the night I am done shooting fom that day. But after yesterday's 3 gun match an a bore snake through all 3 and they are sitting there waiting for me like dirty dishes. Will get to them today or tomorrow.
I heard it was a long hard match...
Old 01-14-2014, 9:21 AM

TBH I have been cleaning my own guns since I was eight or so.
I have always had a mechanical knack. I love taking things apart to see how they work.

I lived in a dry climate so mostly it was a brush down the barrel and an oil soaked rag so no rust would occur.
The smell of the chemicals makes me break out and gives me a really bad headache so I try to do it in a well ventilated area with gloves and breathing protection.

I still have my first guns which were given to me over 50 years ago and they look just like they did when I was given them.
They each have over 100k rounds at a rough estimate and they are still accurate and shoot fine with just that cleaning.
They would have more but I stopped using them in favor of higher calibers and different styles.
I wanted a larger bang and more than just a pop.
My Dad(ex military) taught me how to shoot and maintain firearms.

Sometimes, since I work long hours and an irregular schedule, my spouse cleans them for me.
Sometimes I clean them all. Just depends.
The percussion ones are a real bear to clean properly.

I consider it part and parcel of shooting, just like a car is oil changes and tuneups. If I do not do it myself I darned sure know how to if I have to.
It is beyond me why someone would pay someone to clean their firearms. Would scare me to not know what they did to them behind my back.

If you own something with mechanical parts better know how it works and how to fix it if it breaks.

Dalai Lama

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 01-14-2014 at 9:35 AM..
Old 01-17-2014, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally View Post
Some gents I know take their firearms (AR15s and SGs) to their LGS and pay for cleaning! A few have even asked me to help them!

So, next week, I'm having a gun-cleaning, Chinese Take-Out and Martini party at the request of one of my gentleman shooting buddies! He's bringing the Take-Out!!
if it is just him and you, he just got himself a date LoL! did this guy shoot before meeting you or are you the one who got him into gun ownership
Old 01-17-2014, 6:20 PM

cs: Naw, just a small group of friends are getting together to clean.

He had a few 22s sitting around for 25+ years getting rusty. I took him to the range, sold him one of my 9mms and got him back into shooting!

He brought his girlfriend and her daughter to the range and they loved it! He is so happy! Made me happy, too!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally View Post
cs: Naw, just a small group of friends are getting together to clean.

He had a few 22s sitting around for 25+ years getting rusty. I took him to the range, sold him one of my 9mms and got him back into shooting!

He brought his girlfriend and her daughter to the range and they loved it! He is so happy! Made me happy, too!
Good work!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Still not clear on this question. Is the point that there is someone else in the household who would clean the guns for you? Because they (he) like to, or can do it when cleaning their own guns or whatever. Is this a "man's work" vs "woman's work" question? Personally, I really hate to clean guns, it feels like housework to me, but I do it anyway.

I'd like to think that any of us would clean our own guns, just to know for certain what's inside and that it's working properly.

That said, all my babies go to a good gunsmith at least once a year (or more) depending, for a look over, tune up, repairs or replacements, and a professional cleaning.

(I shoot at a large range and have often fantasized about having a small shop on the premises that you could drop guns off to be cleaned on demand, while you go have a coffee. And then drive home with minty-fresh guns in the car... Wouldn't it be great if you could have your guns cleaned with your solution of choice, so the car could smell of Hoppe's or Froglube or whatever? Possible gawdawful liability, but wouldn't it be great?)
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 01-19-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Old 01-19-2014, 1:01 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

great idea, Bonnie!

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buy a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 01-19-2014, 7:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Personally, I really hate to clean guns, it feels like housework to me, but I do it anyway.
Yea, me too, I hate cleaning guns more than reloading. It is just you have to do that to shoot competition.
Old 01-19-2014, 7:16 PM

Wait, are you suggesting that someone else would clean my guns. Who and where.
Old 01-19-2014, 7:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My live in Buttler My heiny does mine for me
Old 01-19-2014, 7:18 PM

Today was my best day ever, I took my daughter and her friend shooting and later they cleaned the guns, (she's 19 and friend is 21)... And I was supervising
Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 AM

I clean all of my own guns and always have. I am actually a fanatical clean gun person. Usually, when my husband and I go shooting we clean the next day. We set up the table with all of our supplies and he cleans what ever he shot and I clean whatever I used. The only shotgun I have that brings out the swear words is the Beretta 3901. That thing is easy to tear down and a PITA to put back together. I actually enjoy gun cleaning and inspection. I have learned a lot.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 01-20-2014, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
I clean all of my own guns and always have. I am actually a fanatical clean gun person. Usually, when my husband and I go shooting we clean the next day. We set up the table with all of our supplies and he cleans what ever he shot and I clean whatever I used. The only shotgun I have that brings out the swear words is the Beretta 3901. That thing is easy to tear down and a PITA to put back together. I actually enjoy gun cleaning and inspection. I have learned a lot.
Awesome family fun, I need to get my best more involved in this, thank you for sharing
Old 01-20-2014, 4:36 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickshooter View Post
WTT home-made meatloaf dinner w all the fixins for gun cleaning services! can also substitute full italian dinner including home-made pasta!
Hmm, I AM getting pretty tired of my own cooking!

Scott
Old 01-20-2014, 4:43 PM

Who else is going to clean them?
Old 01-20-2014, 6:37 PM

Yes, I clean my own guns. My husband taught me how to shoot, but part of that was teaching me how to take care of my weapons myself.
Old 01-20-2014, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Still not clear on this question. Is the point that there is someone else in the household who would clean the guns for you? Because they (he) like to, or can do it when cleaning their own guns or whatever. Is this a "man's work" vs "woman's work" question? Personally, I really hate to clean guns, it feels like housework to me, but I do it anyway.

I'd like to think that any of us would clean our own guns, just to know for certain what's inside and that it's working properly.

That said, all my babies go to a good gunsmith at least once a year (or more) depending, for a look over, tune up, repairs or replacements, and a professional cleaning.

(I shoot at a large range and have often fantasized about having a small shop on the premises that you could drop guns off to be cleaned on demand, while you go have a coffee. And then drive home with minty-fresh guns in the car... Wouldn't it be great if you could have your guns cleaned with your solution of choice, so the car could smell of Hoppe's or Froglube or whatever? Possible gawdawful liability, but wouldn't it be great?)
1. No exclusive point in my original post, just sheer curiosity.
2. I clean all of my own guns (handguns, rifles and shotguns) and I like it!
3. I have read my owner manuals and utilized youtube for instruction.
4. I recently had a little gun-cleaning party (lasted 4 hours). I invited a few friends- it was FUN, productive and enlightening. I admit long guns are harder to clean than handguns!
5. Haven't found a local gunsmith yet.
6. I've had that same fantasy; dropping the guns off for a good cleaning while still at the range!
Old 01-20-2014, 9:07 PM

This thread has created a spinoff:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post13247742

it looks like there is definitely a population that would be more than happy to have their guns cleaned for them if a viable service existed.

Last edited by Off the Roster; 01-20-2014 at 9:47 PM..
Old 01-20-2014, 9:08 PM

No I let the maid do it......
Old 01-24-2014, 4:18 PM

nope.. hubby does it

just like he does the laundry and dishes lol
Old 01-25-2014, 9:28 AM

Addendum on my previous post: Even though the other half sometimes cleans them because of my long hours at work. I still break them apart and inspect that they are put together properly.

Same with the only one time I have ever taken a gun to the gunsmith, I brought home the rifle and stripped it down to its individual parts and thoroughly inspected it.

It is my life that is on the line if it is put together wrong!

Dalai Lama

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
Old 01-26-2014, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS. BANG BANG View Post
nope.. hubby does it

just like he does the laundry and dishes lol
LUCKY YOU!
Old 01-26-2014, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickshooter View Post
This thread has created a spinoff:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post13247742

it looks like there is definitely a population that would be more than happy to have their guns cleaned for them if a viable service existed.
Yeah, I saw it a few days ago! I like the fact that it morphed into a discussion about entrepreneurship! Ingenuity and Capitalism at work!
Old 01-26-2014, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleOldLady View Post
Addendum on my previous post: Even though the other half sometimes cleans them because of my long hours at work. I still break them apart and inspect that they are put together properly.

Same with the only one time I have ever taken a gun to the gunsmith, I brought home the rifle and stripped it down to its individual parts and thoroughly inspected it.

It is my life that is on the line if it is put together wrong!
I hear you!