Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 01-03-2014, 7:47 PM

Default 3 gun rifle set up

Hello,

I have a rifle I would like to set up for 3 gun. Some day I would like to be a competitor. I have done a local match and had fun with an aimpoint, as most targets were close. I believe real 3 gun the targets can be out there a bit. I wanted to know what people ran with that compete in the real deal? Right now I have an AR with an eotech. I have another that only has fold down sights and I want to upgrade. Do people run scopes with side red dots/ACOG with red dot on top/ etc....? I want to see the overall consensus.
Old 01-03-2014, 8:17 PM

Welcome!

Sounds you are on the right track. Run what you have and try your gear first, you are GTG.

After a few months of feeding the habit, you will meet, see and try different set ups and you will find your own flavor.

Depending on the Division you will shoot, and organization, that will help dictate what you will set up your rifle.

Your questions on ACOG + Red dot at 45 Deg is used in Open division

I've seen Grand Master Shooters use an ACOG TA11 and others use US optics and others use Burris MTAC . it's all over the map because it's preference.

Hope it helps.. Enjoy the game!

Rudy Project Shooting Pro Team

Old 01-03-2014, 8:24 PM
Vendor/Retailer

A lot of it depends on the max range of your local range and as Gun Fu mentioned, your division. Most folks shoot Tactical Optics and the 1-4 and 1-6x dominates there. You will usually see the Burris TAC30/MTAC, Trijicon AccuPoint TR24, Vortex 1-4, Vortex HD 1-6 and the Swarovski Z6i 1-6. For Open Division, I usually see ACOGs, Trijicon 3-9x or the Z6i with offset red dots. You can shoot your EOTech/AimPoint only setup in Limited/Tac-Irons division.
Old 01-03-2014, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

There's a really nice sight from leupold... called a prismatic. No magnification, but it is a corrected image with an adjustable ocular... the only one like it I think.

Limited in IMG rules allows for iron or non-magnified optics... some of the greats, like your own Chris Schechiatano from the bay area uses one of these... ive seen him bury poppers at 400 with it.

Keep in mind... MOST targets are under 80 yards, as the shooting bays allow. Some targets are far... so a 1x can be very competitive... and at "club level" matches (usually shorter ranges), you will not be at a disadvantage.

Kill the thought of a reddot plus magnifier... too much weight, too much to manipulate, and when your up close and need peripheral vision, the flopped over magnifier tends to get in the way.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 PM

I am trying 2 different optics - a 3x red dot for longer range, and a reflex red dot mounted on a 45 degree offset for in close targets.

Results have been mixed. Will try again this spring to see if I will continue with this set-up. Zero combat application but for a competition tool, it works.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnet View Post
I am trying 2 different optics - a 3x red dot for longer range, and a reflex red dot mounted on a 45 degree offset for in close targets.

Results have been mixed. Will try again this spring to see if I will continue with this set-up. Zero combat application but for a competition tool, it works.
Interesting findings... Please expand your thoughts on combat application.? . i'm curious.

I have a similar set up, however I have offset Iron sights...

Old 01-03-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun fu View Post
Interesting findings... Please expand your thoughts on combat application.? . i'm curious.

I have a similar set up, however I have offset Iron sights...
With my mounts, the reflex has too much play - seems every few outings the mount moves and throws off the zero. Being off axis it is much more difficult to hold at the exact same angle to have the bullet hit as predictibally as I think it should.

When wasting ammo on paper, cardboard and steel, if I miss a target, I add more lead - not what I would want to be my life on in a combat situation.

How did you offset the iron sighs?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 PM

I see.. sounds like your experience is disappointing, I think it's the mounts giving you issue...What mounts are you using?

I use this weaver for red dot mount.. Solid, no movment
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/577...ory-rail-black

There's are the offset Irons
http://www.dueckdefense.com/

Once you debug your mounts and after more practice and training..I think you will find great results....
I would definitely depend on my gear for real use...

Good luck

Old 01-03-2014, 11:04 PM

Gun_fu, thanks for the links. Will go look into these when I get home.
Old 01-04-2014, 6:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. I should learn the divisions for 3 gun. I shoot IDPA too, and used to shoot steel madness in Corona Ca. I am just getting used to the eotech, I should probably just stick with that for now. My local range in Illinois in theory can go out to 600 yards. They have 25-100/200/600 yard bays. I have not run one of their matches yet, I ran one that only went out like 50 yards.
Old 01-06-2014, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnet View Post
Gun_fu, thanks for the links. Will go look into these when I get home.
You are welcome bruddah.. Anytime..

cc56 and ldsnet ,

3rd Sunday every Month @ Raahague's Rifle only match.

http://www.jvindustries.net/match.html

Bring em out...

DVC

Old 01-07-2014, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc56 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I should learn the divisions for 3 gun. I shoot IDPA too, and used to shoot steel madness in Corona Ca. I am just getting used to the eotech, I should probably just stick with that for now. My local range in Illinois in theory can go out to 600 yards. They have 25-100/200/600 yard bays. I have not run one of their matches yet, I ran one that only went out like 50 yards.
Ya I would run what you have now, sounds like a good set up for local 3 gun club matches. Im running an eotech and I am at a slight disadvantage when the targets are are past 80 yards. I can easily hit them they are just way smaller then the guys that are running 1-4x or 1-6x. We really dont have divisions at my club level matches so I am going head to head with guys in all divisions. Once I step out of the local matches im going to pick up a 1-6x its almost a must when your talking about steel at 3-600 yards out.
Old 01-07-2014, 9:42 AM

Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Banned

Most 3 gun matches will not run steel past 400 yards. Yes, dots are tough on small targets. My 5 MOA dot covers the 4.3" clays at 80 yards, so it was hard at the last Norco rifle match, so I changed my 10/22 up and put back on the 2-7 scope and mounted the dot at 45 degrees forward to deal with it. I run Trijcon 1-4's on my tactical AR's and Trijicon 3-9s with 45 degree Trijicon Red Dots on my Open AR's.

Last edited by HighLander51; 01-07-2014 at 12:29 PM..