Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 12-30-2013, 4:34 PM

Unhappy Sarco 14.45 LDA Frame, not so 80%, up creek and s.o.l.

Okay, ordered a while back and received a frame casting of the 14.45 LDA Para Ordnance. I should of researched more, but for $35 bucks, I'll live. I'm no Einstein, but this isn't an 80% frame, I'd say 40% at the most. The 2 big differences, other than the trigger is the pin right above the trigger, and the sear hole moved from traditional spot. I have been looking for months and spent an ungodly amount of time looking for a jig that will work. Closest I found were for the p12/13 models, which only help do some of the work. Does anyone know of a place I can buy a jig? I'm attached a picture in case anyone has no idea of what I speak. And positive help would be most appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0303[1].jpg (93.4 KB, 167 views)
Old 12-30-2013, 8:59 PM

No jig. If you want it bad enough you will figure out how to do it yourself. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2013, 3:44 AM

First off I don't remember anyone stating that Sarco had any 80% 60% or even 40% Frames, they are all just Castings as advertised.
Also I believe the Sear is in the same place in relation to the hammer. Just more parts involved.
They can be reconfigured to Single action 1911's But it will be a PIA.
You might want to read all of this thread for info.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=700987
Or buy from Sarco a P13 or P12 casting and regroup where parts are available. Also the slides are now available for multiple configurations...
Old 12-31-2013, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

Do you at least have a blueprint of the P14 to go off of?
Old 01-01-2014, 5:32 AM

No, I don't think any are available seeing as how the company Para Ordnance is still in business. But from the schematics of the gun from Brownells it looks like the Hammer, Sear, and Grip Safety holes are in the same position as a regular 1911..
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/sc...ara-p14lda.gif
Old 01-01-2014, 1:16 PM

I looked everywhere for blueprints. All I found was someone saying you have to fly to Canada to get them. Screw that. I'm talking about the 14.45 LDA/LTD. The P14 holes are the same, not what I have. I just ordered a P13 single action from Sarco in case the one I have craps out. The 14.45 has an additional hole above the trigger and the sear hole is migrated southwest. I haven't found any dimensions on placement. And as for "If I want it bad enough I'll figure it out" That only applies to believing in something or wishing something to be true or untrue unless you are rich. Otherwise I could pay to make all problems go away and be solved.
In case anyone is confused, the frame I speak of the the Para Ordnance Model 14 .45 Light Double Action/Limited frame. The diagram at Brownells just gives me part numbers and is limited in help. I have scavenged the internet like a post-apocalyptic vulture in search of information and have come up hungry. Somewhere there must be a rat for me to eat.
Old 01-01-2014, 2:41 PM

Find some one with that gun and measure off it. Again if you want it bad enough... Get creative.
Old 01-01-2014, 9:46 PM

That looks to be the only option left. I have been downloading number pics of both sides and resizing the images. I think I am forced to get all ghetto and hope I make some good enough educated spot drilling decisions. I'm sure I can glean some useful information from this. Thanks anyway. If in the end I am successful, I will post it in the correct forum.
Old 01-02-2014, 4:02 AM

The two holes above the trigger are the trigger pin hole, which connects to a connector link on the side and the slide stop hole. If you have all the parts for the gun, which I doubt that anyone can find why don't you just lay everything out and measure them to get the dimensions of the hammer and sear holes. If you are like everyone else and can't find the (expensive parts) then you are screwed like the rest of us unless you reconfigure the casting into a Single Action...
Old 01-02-2014, 4:12 AM

As for the P12 and P13 check with Hoagiem and see if he is still selling the Jigs..
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=753894
Old 01-02-2014, 9:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk4Ever View Post
Okay, ordered a while back and received a frame casting of the 14.45 LDA Para Ordnance.

The 2 big differences, other than the trigger is the pin right above the trigger, and the sear hole moved from traditional spot.

Does anyone know of a place I can buy a jig?
I don't see the big deal.
Just machine your own fixture to hold the casting in the milling machine vise.
Sure, the LDA casting was never designed to have a trigger bow, but you can still machine the necessary features into the casting to make it into a regular P14 pattern frame.
Just make yourself a broaching cutter and use the quill to make the cuts 0.001" at a time.
It goes easier than you would think.
If the casting has the disconnector hole in the wrong location, just fit a plug into that hole and drill the hole in the correct location.
Given an unlimited machining/fabrication/welding effort, anything can be achieved...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 01-03-2014, 3:38 PM

Hoagiem has the fixtures on Gunbroker, already put those on my watch list. Currently I am in my intel gathering phase. I buy a little bit before I go into logistics phase. Then execution phase. I get conflicting results on what parts can interchange from 1911 - Para P13/P14 and the LDA 14. With no tangible evidence my mind says the mainspring housing should fit any Government size frame. Some things are obviously different, some shouldn't be.
Old 01-03-2014, 4:05 PM

Check out "screen calipers" never used it but looks cool and might help you.
Old 01-03-2014, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Sure, the LDA casting was never designed to have a trigger bow, but you can still machine the necessary features into the casting to make it into a regular P14 pattern frame.
Just make yourself a broaching cutter and use the quill to make the cuts 0.001" at a time.
I don't think that's possible. I posted a picture on the p12/p13 build thread of a side-by-side cutaway view of SA and LDA frames. Anyone interested in doing this should take a look: http://i.imgur.com/L4ytbiK.jpg

Machining the last 1/8th" or so of the trigger ways might break out of the frame on the LDAs. There's less material there above the magcatch hole/behind the trigger, which I assume was removed to make room for the double action trigger swing.

I built that area up with weld and will be machining the trigger rails onto two halves (made from splitting two separate LDA frames) then welding them together. I won't build weld on the other half yet because once I do the rail cut on one side I'll compare the two and see if adding material is really necessary to fit the rails or not

Last edited by Wakawaka; 01-03-2014 at 8:22 PM..
Old 01-03-2014, 8:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakawaka View Post
I don't think that's possible. I posted a picture on the p12/p13 build thread of a side-by-side cutaway view of SA and LDA frames. Anyone interested in doing this should take a look: http://i.imgur.com/L4ytbiK.jpg

Machining the last 1/8th" or so of the trigger ways might break out of the frame on the LDAs. There's less material there above the magcatch hole/behind the trigger, which I assume was removed to make room for the double action trigger swing.

I built that area up with weld and will be machining the trigger rails onto two halves (made from splitting two separate LDA frames) then welding them together. I won't build weld on the other half yet because once I do the rail cut on one side I'll compare the two and see if adding material is really necessary to fit the rails or not

Good looking out!
Welding it up will make it usable.
This falls under my "unlimited effort" comment above...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 01-05-2014, 11:03 AM

Yari, good call on screen calipers. I will definitely try that out to accommodate my dilemma.