Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

I have the same Marlin a 1894 I bought soon after they came out.
I added the Williams FP with target knobs for shooting the steel chickens etc.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Beautiful sights. I would love to change them out personally, but I usually shoot it with a scope anyway.
Old 01-09-2014, 8:07 PM

I am wondering if you guys have an issue with Marlin's action. When I was buying my Lever gun, I tried the marlin 30-30 and the action feels grainy and seems so hard to pull up and down compared to the Henry. That turned me off, and I decided to just pony up the extra cash for the Henry.

How is the action on the Rossi? Guy from Big 5 have the lever locked and won't let me try it.
Old 01-09-2014, 8:25 PM

Personally I prefer the Rossi.... I have worked on mine and they are smooth....have both a Henry and Winchester but they are not as smooth and fast...
Old 01-09-2014, 8:41 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

I've handled both, and with a little bit of time behind it, the Marlin lever typically has a very smooth, solid feel, but their claim to fame is the strength. They are the only lever gun action that will hold up to the Buffalo Bore hard cast lead in +P+

I would pick Marlin strictly on the strength of the gun itself. FWIW, check out the stats.
Old 01-09-2014, 9:24 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Mossburg also makes a economically priced lever, based off the winchester receiver.
Old 01-10-2014, 2:35 PM
Kitchen Operator
CGN Contributor

Its a shameless plug, but 2 of my lever guns are currently for sale in the Marketplace. Just a warning to some: You may want to avert your eyes from the pictures of the first gun - It is one of the "either loved or reviled" Mossberg 464 SPX's (30-30 tacticool lever gun, y'all!).

The second is a plain vanilla Rossi R92 in 38spl/357.

And I believe that I'm asking quite reasonable prices! Of course, if you don't think I am, you can thread-crap on me here and not risk getting banned like you might if you "commented" in the Marketplace

Linky:
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=877677

Not getting out of lever guns by any stretch of the imagination 'cause they are just too much fun. But once I sell these I will be down to 'only' 5
Old 01-10-2014, 2:52 PM
Wikipidiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh1 View Post
Its a shameless plug, but 2 of my lever guns are currently for sale in the Marketplace. Just a warning to some: You may want to avert your eyes from the pictures of the first gun - It is one of the "either loved or reviled" Mossberg 464 SPX's (30-30 tacticool lever gun, y'all!).

And I believe that I'm asking quite reasonable prices! Of course, if you don't think I am, you can thread-crap on me here and not risk getting banned like you might if you "commented" in the Marketplace

Linky:
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=877677

Not getting out of lever guns by any stretch of the imagination 'cause they are just too much fun. But once I sell these I will be down to 'only' 5
That is a good price on the Rossi! Have tried any of the Hornady FTX or monoflex bullets?
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
We have the time and the hammers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown
Study and learn our history and law as it is -- not as you would like it to be.
Old 01-10-2014, 3:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its a shameless plug, but 2 of my lever guns are currently for sale in the Marketplace. ...
If you're ever in San Diego, let me know and I'll take one of those 16" 92's off your hands. My 686 is looking for a buddy to pal around with.
Old 01-10-2014, 3:17 PM

If you were local I'd come buy the Rossi right now.
Old 01-10-2014, 3:24 PM
Kitchen Operator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Have you tried any of the Hornady FTX or monoflex bullets?
No, I haven't tried any yet. Truth be told, I bought the SPX in January, 2013 when it came into stock, but at the height of the panic. And since it was my only 30-30 gun, I bought whatever ammo I could find and afford. While the Leverevolution was minimally available, it was not what I could call "affordable", so I just bought a little bit to have something to shoot in case I needed it. But I've only shot the SPX a couple of times at the range, and I always had a bit of the less expensive PPU soft point to shoot.
Old 01-10-2014, 3:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Same for me. I'm up in contra costa county and that Rossi is calling to me. I'd pay your gas to get it up here. Interested?
On my Marlin action, it grinded. I had the action polished out a ton during the ten days and its pretty nice. The smith said it looked like it was assembled with unfinished parts.
New factory I was told.
Thanks for all the pics and info on sights.
Old 01-10-2014, 3:45 PM
Kitchen Operator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliedad View Post
Same for me. I'm up in contra costa county and that Rossi is calling to me. I'd pay your gas to get it up here. Interested?
If only it was a takedown, and could fit in one of the bags on my Gold Wing...

Just as an FYI: Due to another request I have received from a Calgunner in response to my Marketplace ad, I am trying to figure out how to ship a gun in CA. I know it needs to go FFL-to-FFL, and I'm trying to find out which local FFL's will do this. So far I have found 1 who is willing, and has done this a couple of times in the past. He specified that his service charge and the shipping cost would total around $50. I don't know whether this is a reasonable price for this service or not, as I can't find any other local FFL who does this. So if someone wants one of the guns shipped... I think it can be accomplished. But adding $50 to the price for shipping kinds of F's up an otherwise good deal.

Last edited by tmh1; 01-10-2014 at 3:49 PM..
Old 01-10-2014, 9:36 PM

The $50 isn't really that big a deal but the receiving ffl will charge $100.00 to receive it.
All in, yeah the $150.00 is tough.

Now back to my solution, I've seen many a motorcycle with a guitar case on the back........

Just saying.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Three hundred seventy? Hell yeah that's a good deal! I recently bought one for a hundred bucks more plus tax at Big 5. Only difference being that mine is the 20" model.
Old 01-11-2014, 1:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If only it was a takedown, and could fit in one of the bags on my Gold Wing...

Just as an FYI: Due to another request I have received from a Calgunner in response to my Marketplace ad, I am trying to figure out how to ship a gun in CA. I know it needs to go FFL-to-FFL, and I'm trying to find out which local FFL's will do this. So far I have found 1 who is willing, and has done this a couple of times in the past. He specified that his service charge and the shipping cost would total around $50. I don't know whether this is a reasonable price for this service or not, as I can't find any other local FFL who does this. So if someone wants one of the guns shipped... I think it can be accomplished. But adding $50 to the price for shipping kinds of F's up an otherwise good deal.
It doesn't need to go FFL-FFL. It may be a rule made by the receiving FFL, but no state or Federal law requires it.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 01-11-2014, 1:29 PM

Love my marlin 30-30. Taken pigs and deer for years with no problems. Great gun..
Old 01-13-2014, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Why are you wasting your time with those pretenders to the throne when you could be shooting one of these ;-)

J/K, I know the Rossis are nice but a 1951 Winchester 1894 in .30-30 is cheaper and more fun plus it's C&R!!! Although .30-30 ammo is going to kill your bank account if you don't reload.
How about these, 1873 Winchesters in 44-40 and 32-20, not cheaper though. Marlin in 30-30. Ammo for the Wins can be tough to find, they are the guns that won the west! The Marlin is a great gun, great shooter.

Old 01-18-2014, 8:33 PM

So I just got to shoot the Rossi in .45 mag today and its great. Action is smoother out of the box than the Marlin and even so after the marlin was worked on. I see what people mean when they say the Marlin is stronger. Just beefier. Sites on Marlin seem better but that's an easy fix and I did really well today with the Rossi up to 100 yards.
Cowboy at heart maybe?
Old 01-18-2014, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

I always thought the Model 92 was stronger than the Marlin 94.
Old 01-18-2014, 8:56 PM

Marlin 336 in 30-30 was my comparison/reference.

Ill be shooting both a ton so ill check back in.
Old 01-18-2014, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
I always thought the Model 92 was stronger than the Marlin 94.
I don't know one way or the other, but the Rossi '92 comes in a 454 casull.

I would say that counts for something.
Old 01-19-2014, 8:18 AM

I love my lever gun. It's a 1941 model Winchester 30-30 with a Williams fp sight added. Picked it up for $300 on my 18th birthday. Right now I'm getting the components together to reload 30-30 because it's hard to afford to shoot it otherwise.

I'd really like to pick up a 45-70 lever someday.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Default The Rossi is plenty strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloChicken View Post
I don't know one way or the other, but the Rossi '92 comes in a 454 casull.

I would say that counts for something.

Paco Kelly over at Leverguns.com has handloaded the venerable .45 colt to some pretty impressive velocities using the old warhorse. Pressure levels are in the 50,000 range if I recall.
Old 01-19-2014, 2:20 PM

Finally had a chance today to take my Rossi out to see how she runs. Have to admit that I'm pretty happy with it and can easily see it becoming one of my favorite go-to guns for range trips.

I'm disappointed that I waited this long to finally get one. Been wanting one for over ten years, but just never bothered to follow through and slap down the cash for one.

I've got the 20" model and it feels like the perfect size and is well balanced. Reliably fed both .38 and .357 without any problems and I can't complain at all about its accuracy. My only complaint is the size of the lever "hoop", but that's kind of my fault for having gorilla hands and banana fingers.

The action felt a little tight, but I've got plans to strip and clean it, then work the action a few hundred times to speed up the break in period.

Here she is ....

Old 02-04-2014, 3:36 PM
Calguns Addict

I have terrible self-control issues. A Winchester 94 recently came home with me, and today I made an offer to buy a Marlin 30TK.
Old 02-09-2014, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
I'm sure the Rossi is just fine, but I've gotta say, Marlin lever actions are probably the beefiest actions out there. Buffalo Bore ammo and other high pressure ammo consistently says to shoot them out of only Marlin lever actions or Ruger pistols and names each model. That says something to me. If you're only shooting standard ammo through it though, you should be fine. I just like the feel and function of Marlin levers over just about anything out. The 1895gbl .45-70 is my new lever that makes the trousers a little tight.

This is what I'm after! Something like this

44 or 45-70

Last edited by matt86m; 02-09-2014 at 8:27 AM..
Old 02-09-2014, 1:59 PM

Cant go wrong with a Marlin!
Old 02-09-2014, 2:14 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

That is sure a thumper! I'd love to get the 1895GBL also. Its one of my next "on the list" rifles to get.
Old 02-09-2014, 4:18 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Please just ignore most everything this guy says. I laughed most of the way through this. From Red dot, to the sights, to everything he says that is just personal opinion, but he thinks is the gospel.

I love how people say "tactical" for lever actions.

Old 02-09-2014, 5:01 PM

Default Lever Action

Don't forget Winchester 94 Trapper 44Mag that comes with a 16 inches barrel. Great little brush or SHTF gun and it hold 8 rounds of 44s can be reload any time.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...03C&mid=534094

Last edited by Viper49; 02-11-2014 at 7:03 AM.. Reason: add link
Old 02-10-2014, 9:08 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Bee, what model 94 is that you've got? What caliber?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:40 AM

We shoot the Marlin 94C in 357.

For bigger calibers, I leave the Winchest 94 30-30 in the safe, and bring out the Savage-99 in 300 Savage. In 30 caliber, the Savage 99, Browning BLR, and some of the other box type magazine lever guns shoot much nicer rounds.

The 30-30 never has been a very powerful round. Not even somewhat powerful.

on the flipside though, the 30-30 has proven you don't have to have "This Weeks Golly Jeeze Whiz Super Magnum" for deer or smaller at 100 yards...
Old 02-10-2014, 3:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNE228 View Post

on the flipside though, the 30-30 has proven you don't have to have "This Weeks Golly Jeeze Whiz Super Magnum" for deer or smaller at 100 yards...
My backyard is literally a 40 acre Christmas tree farm. I don't carry anything else.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 02-10-2014, 9:03 PM

Be careful they can be an addiction
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lever.jpg (86.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-11-2014, 2:47 PM

I have a Marlin JM stamp 1894C in 357 mag, one of my favorite rifle. That rifle will go to the graves with me. I do have a scout pistol scope on it, so my blind eyes can see haha. Lever rocks!
Old 03-06-2014, 9:49 PM

Here's my well used Winchester 92 .44-40 with a lot of special features. Shotgun butt, tang sight, folding rear sight, round barrel (less common), take down, and pistol grip. And let's not forget the great Savage 99, in this case a 1948 .300 pictured here with other old stuff.

Old 03-07-2014, 7:27 AM
Veteran Member

Default Win. 92

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...sp?family=022C

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 03-07-2014, 3:34 PM
Made in the USA

I've been trying to ignore this thread... but its too intriguing...

I'm kinda liking the idea of a high power lever action rifle... I think the only time I've shot a lever action was a .22 when I was about 9 years old (longer ago than I'd like to admit)...
Old 03-09-2014, 11:50 PM

I recommend the complete video editions of The Rifleman.
Chuck Conners (both NBA and MLB, by the way).