Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-15-2008, 9:06 AM

Default GS5 -VS- OLL .22lr ??? Is it legal???

Since evil features are allowed on the 22 GS5, And 22 rimfire does not fall under the evil weapons features...

So here is the question? Can you take your OLL and do a bolt conversion to an upper and use high cap 22 cal mags, would this be legal???

If so who makes the best bolt conversion???

Thank you?
Old 02-15-2008, 9:19 AM

Most people recommend using a dedicated 22lr upper (Spikes Tactical & Model 1 Sales) and a lower specifically marked 22lr (Spikes Tactical, Sabre Defense).

If you have hi-caps legally aquired, they're legal to use.
Old 02-15-2008, 9:37 AM

Drop in conversion or a more permanent set up?
Ciener kit is a good drop in conversion though.

Last edited by Linus; 02-15-2008 at 9:45 AM..
Old 02-15-2008, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal_addict View Post

So here is the question? Can you take your OLL and do a bolt conversion to an upper and use high cap 22 cal mags, would this be legal???

If so who makes the best bolt conversion???

Thank you?
Sure you can. Can you find anything as to why you can't? (hint; you won't find anything, but the mere fact that you search for it and do research will educate you on WHY you can and fill you in on other AW laws). Just make sure the high cap mag is NOT fixed and is fully detachable on your rimfire build with "evil features."

Check out http://www.blitzkriegtactical.com. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.

Last edited by ohsmily; 02-15-2008 at 9:51 AM..
Old 02-15-2008, 4:30 PM
Veteran Member

Just make a dedicated .22lr upper, using a bolt conversion with a .223 barrel is a bad idea unless you are very very thorough with your barrel cleaning. Down the road when you revert to .223 and the barrel has buildup from 5000 rounds of .22lr, a ka-boom is much more likely.
Old 02-15-2008, 4:56 PM

I have a .223 upper that I was not using and decide to convert that as my dedicate .22LR upper. What I did was, take the gas tube out, cut the tube, turn the tube up-side-down to block off the gas port, throw in the ceiner kit, done. It's working fine except the ceiner kit usually will have firing pin breaking after 3-4k rounds. Since that upper will not see anymore .223 round, no need to worry about ka-booms.
NRA certified RSO, Pistol/Rifle/Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor, Certified SIG/Glock pistol armorer. Any question, please feel free to sent e-mail to ontargetrange@sbcglobal.net or visit our forum on Calguns under vendor section!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Shot my Spike's .22 upper today. Over 1000 rounds so far without a cleaning or hiccup!! Awesome fun!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
Just make sure the high cap mag is NOT fixed and is fully detachable on your rimfire build with "evil features."
A rimfire rifle with a fixed large-capacity magazine does not violate CA AW ban, unless named on the AG list for AK/AR or in the original Roberti-Roos list.
Old 02-16-2008, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_711 View Post
Just make a dedicated .22lr upper, using a bolt conversion with a .223 barrel is a bad idea unless you are very very thorough with your barrel cleaning. Down the road when you revert to .223 and the barrel has buildup from 5000 rounds of .22lr, a ka-boom is much more likely.
Have you heard of this happening before? How often? I usually fire some .223 after each range trip if I've been shooting .22 and I always clean the rifle later on.
Shooting 5K of .22 without a good cleaning is asking for trouble anyway, but I've just never heard of a KB even being a concern with all the people using the .22 conversion kit.