Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 12-21-2013, 7:49 AM

Default 1911 Single Stack Class USPSA Holster Question

Hey guys so I am gearing up to attend my first USPSA shoot and I will be shooting my 1911 (Kimber Eclipse Target II) and I had a question in regards to holsters. I am aware that kydex is super popular and while I have been told to check out comp-tac and blade-tech, I am kinda liking the idea of a leather holster. That said, I have a few questions for my fellow calgunners that know more than I! First, I believe that the holster (Don Hume) I have pictured is USPSA legal but I wanted to double check. (How about IDPA?) Second, I know holster wear is a fact of life but will leather wear the gun less than kydex? Third, are there any disadvantages to leather over kydex for competitions? Lastly, Should I just toss the leather idea into the garbage and get a blade-tech or comp-tac? If so, what is a decent, not too expensive blade-tech or comp-tac holster for USPSA/IDPA competition shoots at the local level?

And just FYI, this setup will only be used for shooting games.

As always, thanks for you help CG.

Last edited by Garyson1311; 12-21-2013 at 8:14 AM..
Old 12-21-2013, 2:35 PM

Looks good for both IDPA & USPSA to me.

"Second, I know holster wear is a fact of life but will leather wear the gun less than kydex?"

Kydex is awful on a gun finish. Leather is better for wear in my opinion.

"Third, are there any disadvantages to leather over kydex for competitions?"

Leather may be a bit slower (draw) due to friction. Kydex also retains its shape better. I know the Pro's seem to like the kydex better.

"Lastly, Should I just toss the leather idea into the garbage and get a blade-tech or comp-tac?"

I would get a kydex. I use a blade-tech for single stack and its been good for about 5 years now of USPSA competition. I also use a blade tech in production division.

"If so, what is a decent, not too expensive blade-tech or comp-tac holster for USPSA/IDPA competition shoots at the local level?"

Just get on the Blade Tech site. My son uses a Blackhawk holster for his 1911 and its fine. He doesn't have the "Serpa" model (?), but just the drop in type.

Have fun!
Old 12-21-2013, 3:38 PM

Thank you for your response and shedding some light on this for me! I will definitely check out blade tech. Can't wait for my first shoot!
Old 12-21-2013, 3:53 PM
Banned

For competition you want a Kydex holster. The Blade Tech straight drop Revolution holster for $27 bucks is the ticket. You can run it as either a paddle or belt loop. Single stack mag pouches are the ticket, you can wear as many as you want in USPSA, but only 2 for IDPA. Accept the fact your gun may get wear and tear in competition. You'll need a gunbelt made for competition also, the Wilderness Tactical Original Instructors belt in 5 stitch 1.5" wide. any money left get Pelto Tac 6 electric ears, neckband. Then grip it and rip it
DVC

Old 12-21-2013, 3:57 PM
Banned

Garyson1311, where are you located at? Me and my crew are at Norco Running Gun every Saturday, you can hook up with us.
Old 12-21-2013, 9:26 PM

As others stated, there are lots of great, inexpensive kydex options for 1911 holsters. 99% of them will be legal for both IDPA and USPSA. Don't go cheap on the belt though, I good one makes a big difference and will last for a very long time.

Personally I run Safariland gear and have been very happy with it, but many, many shooter run Blade Tech.

Holster (5197 - $25): http://www.copquest.com/23-2760_safa...ith-detent.htm

Mag pouches (771 - $22 each): http://www.copquest.com/23-8101_safa...zine-pouch.htm

Belt (Double Alpha - $55 - NOT IDPA legal, but great for USPSA): http://www.midwayusa.com/product/267...lt-1-1-2-nylon

Old 12-23-2013, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Garyson1311, where are you located at? Me and my crew are at Norco Running Gun every Saturday, you can hook up with us.
Located in Apple Valley. I'll send you a PM. I would love to check it out.
Old 12-23-2013, 9:38 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded for pointing me in the right direction. Now its time to shop!!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:36 AM

Ok so I took some advice and ordered the blade tech revolution Kydex shooters kit that consists of the revolution holster and a double mag pouch. Since the kit came with a double pouch, I also ordered an additional double mag pouch. Hopefully I did not make a mistake on the double pouches (Maybe I shoulda ordered singles?). I think I will be picking up 1 more single pouch (blade tech revolution so they match) so I can have 5 mags on my belt (That or I may do 1 in the pocket)

For now, my belt will be seeing double duty as I will be using my wilderness tactical 5 stich instructor (1.75 inch) that I use for CCW.

Thanks again, guys and gals.

Highlander, once I get my gear set up and get a little practice in, I will definitely be hitting up you as I look forward to shooting with you!

Last edited by Garyson1311; 01-03-2014 at 11:39 AM..
Old 01-05-2014, 5:49 AM
Banned

You are good to go with you gear, single mag pouches are just easier to arrange than doubles, but they work fine. Apple Valley has a nice action match (not USPSA or IDPA)

http://www.applevalleygunclub.com/index.php?page=24
Old 01-05-2014, 4:15 PM

For most USPSA matches you'll want at least 6 mag pouches if your firing single stack. If you are limber then 3 doubles work (remember for SS the mag pouch needs to be located at or behind your hip bone). I use a quad blade tech - not being limber. Get the tech lock attachments with the mag pouches as it takes space between mags. You can buy these separately if you already got the mag pouches. BTW Blade Tech is the way to go. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2014, 7:02 PM

I've never needed more than 5 mags (8-round) on my belt for USPSA Single Stack. Stages in USPSA have a maximum round count of 32. Starting with 8+1 in the gun and 5 mags on your belt gives you 49 rounds.