Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 12-20-2013, 4:59 AM

Default Best Basic/Intermediate Pistol Training in Sac Area?

Hey all,

I was hoping that I could get some recommendations for quality affordable pistol training in the Sacramento area. I have done some googling and turned up a few different classes/schools with varying prices, but I really don't know who to go with.

Also, I am unsure of what level of training I should start with. I own my own handgun and know pistol safety, operation, cleaning, etc inside and out. I am just a ****ty shooter and have had no formal instruction, ever. I need to work on my fundamentals of shooting, but also don't want to spend half the class (or more) going over gun and range safety and basic pistol components. So what level of class do you think would be best for me to start out at?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-20-2013, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAuthority View Post
Hey all,

I was hoping that I could get some recommendations for quality affordable pistol training in the Sacramento area. I have done some googling and turned up a few different classes/schools with varying prices, but I really don't know who to go with.

Also, I am unsure of what level of training I should start with. I own my own handgun and know pistol safety, operation, cleaning, etc inside and out. I am just a ****ty shooter and have had no formal instruction, ever. I need to work on my fundamentals of shooting, but also don't want to spend half the class (or more) going over gun and range safety and basic pistol components. So what level of class do you think would be best for me to start out at?

Thanks for the advice!
Any reputable instructor is going to review pistol basics (safety, the draw, firing line procedures, etc)... and if they spend the first part of a class doing it, so much the better. They don't know you or what level of training you've received.

Take a beginning class, you will learn something you didn't know before and it will provide you the knowledge and mechanics to take more advanced classes later. I've turned a few friends on to shooting instruction and have taken a beginning class three times. I went to each out of support and friendship, but I always came away with something new. On the flip side, I've taken intermediate and advanced classes and in every class there are students who obviously should not be there because they're way above their skill level to shoot safely.

Beyond this, if you want customized and specific instruction, you may be better off hiring an instructor for a private, 1 on 1, lesson.

All of that said, check out grayops. www.gofast1.com, I think. Gordon is solid.

My .02.
Old 12-20-2013, 7:31 AM

diveRN,

"I am just a ****ty shooter and have had no formal instruction, ever. I need to work on my fundamentals of shooting, but also don't want to spend half the class (or more) going over gun and range safety and basic pistol components. So what level of class do you think would be best for me to start out at?"

Thanks for the advice!

It's a good question, many Calguner's would fall into this group. Which/what tests can one preform to answer the skill level. And where to preform these tests. My guess is some of the CCW testing could/would be a good start.

I have not been to the range in awhile. I'm planning on starting carefully and slowly. Would be "nice" if ranges would run tests and give some feed back.

I also am concerned about attending a total beginner's class. Starting/entry class should have a pre-class for complete beginners.

1911Tuner (That one's my own. I'm a rescuer. It's What I do.)
Old 12-20-2013, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveRN View Post
All of that said, check out grayops. www.gofast1.com, I think. Gordon is solid.

+1 ... Legit as it gets.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 12-20-2013, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy1911 View Post

I also am concerned about attending a total beginner's class. Starting/entry class should have a pre-class for complete beginners.
Perhaps the best thing to do in this case is to call a particular training location and talk with the instructor personally and let them know of your training needs/wants and let them guide you from there.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 AM

Another +1 for GrayOps and Gordon Gray. Teach at all levels out at Sac Valley.

Also check out LMS Defense. They have regular classes out at Sac Valley as well. GTG.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 AM

Thanks diveRN,

"Perhaps the best thing to do in this case is to call a particular training location and talk with the instructor personally and let them know of your training needs/wants and let them guide you from there."

What I think my skill is and what this body can do, vary different things. First time at an action-type meet I missed two of four bad targets about 6' to 8' away. I did this very quickly. Have a lot of practice with a jammed 1911 (don't ask).

One sister is a RN, the other is a Lab Tech

1911Tuner (That one's my own. I'm a rescuer. It's What I do.)
Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 PM

Highly recommend Gordon.

I know what this man needs, bring me the bourbon!
-CK Medic 538
Old 12-20-2013, 6:10 PM

http://www.gofast1.com/

been thru several so has wife

highly recomend
Old 12-22-2013, 9:55 AM

No experience yet with Gray Ops, but plenty of classes with LMS Defense. These guys are dialed in, and there is plenty of instruction for the individual.
Highly recommend these guys.
http://www.lmsdefense.com/schedule/
Old 01-12-2014, 5:02 PM

Gray ops is great!!! Great people and training.