Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:40 PM

Default Active duty: Where to store gun collection?

I'm thinking about going into the Air Force as a nurse and was wondering what I should do with my gun collection. Most of my family members are not too fond of guns and I don't want to burden them with a large gun collection if I don't have to. I am also leery about leaving them with others in case they get used or neglected. (ie. No base armory or shooting buddies). Is bringing them with me a viable option if I live on base? I assume that living off base will be easier, but I will still have to follow state laws and this won't even be applicable if I get stationed overseas.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambutan316 View Post
I'm thinking about going into the Air Force as a nurse and was wondering what I should do with my gun collection. Most of my family members are not too fond of guns and I don't want to burden them with a large gun collection if I don't have to. I am also leery about leaving them with others in case they get used or neglected. (ie. No base armory or shooting buddies). Is bringing them with me a viable option if I live on base? I assume that living off base will be easier, but I will still have to follow state laws and this won't even be applicable if I get stationed overseas.
Gotta be checked in at the local base armory if I recall.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Depends on the base. Most likely, you will NOT be able to take them overseas. DEFINATELY NOT on deployments. On or off home station base in a storage unit is the best you can do if headed to a posting where personally owned firearms are not allowed. Yes, this can be for months or years at a time.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:51 PM

If you are on base and do not have BAH (basic allowance housing) and decide to take your weapons with you, they will have to be stored in the armory. However, if you are married and live out in town, you'll be able to keep them at your residence.
Old 12-18-2013, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaeger31 View Post
If you are on base and do not have BAH (basic allowance housing) and decide to take your weapons with you, they will have to be stored in the armory. However, if you are married and live out in town, you'll be able to keep them at your residence.
This. I've never had to deal with it, but I heard checking in / out Personally Owned Weapons from the battalion armory is a PITA.
Old 12-18-2013, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossedRifles View Post
This. I've never had to deal with it, but I heard checking in / out Personally Owned Weapons from the battalion armory is a PITA.
Yeah, you don't decide you want your guns and then just walk in and grab them. No sir.
Old 12-18-2013, 5:21 PM

I never had a major problem when living in the barracks, just had to check out/check in when the arms room was open but I had to live by the armorers schedule or keep them off post overnight at a buddies place if they closed before I was done with them. No different then checking out issued items. They'd just give you a weapons card for each one after the xo/co signs off on it.
Old 12-18-2013, 6:56 PM

I don't know how armorers are in the Air Force but the armorers in the Marine Corps will mess with your weapons. I would suggest if you have to put them in the armory look into a solid and lockable armorers case that you can put all of your firearms into and lock up. It might be expensive but it is the only way to can be sure of your firearms not being tampered with. Some gun shops do also have storage for firearms on site, so you might want to ask around.

Think of it this way if you were locked inside of a cage that you can choose who has access to entry to it would you not play with a firearm that is locked up inside?
Old 12-19-2013, 1:13 AM

Like take pictures with it and wiping of the n"ts? I seriously doubt any armorer is going to f with yo s. Just paranoid.
Old 12-19-2013, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bravo1p View Post
Like take pictures with it and wiping of the n"ts? I seriously doubt any armorer is going to f with yo s. Just paranoid.
Not paranoia, reality! I had to store two handguns on base for about 3 months in the Navy Armory - both of my handguns were messed with. They actually broke my S&W 622 (gouged the rear sight somehow).

You will want the sturdiest case they will let you use to store it in the armory. These days the pelican rifle cases are very common- if I had to do it again, that is what I would use.

Obviously you can't take them with you to OCS or bootcamp.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bravo1p View Post
Ha ha ha! ^^ This is hilarious. I've had to inventory for one battalion and you couldn't imagine what those guys do locked up in that CLP smelling container all day every day especially with gun's that's are not commonly in their inventory.
Old 12-19-2013, 7:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaeger31 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossedRifles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
Yeah, you don't decide you want your guns and then just walk in and grab them. No sir.
This must be an Air Force/other branch thing. I can speak for Marine Corps only.
For us, we can keep personal weapons in the house (yes, base housing) no problem. no safe required (all applicable laws involving prohibited persons/minors apply).

If you decide to keep your weapons in your unit armory, bring them in a locked case, inventory on the spot, lock and store. this prevents the curious from F'ing with your stuff while you're obviously not there. most times unit armories will hold your weapons while you deploy as well.

Last edited by Germz; 12-19-2013 at 7:53 PM..
Old 12-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Calguns Addict

If you're married and you live on post there should be no reason you cant store your weapons in your house. I do.
Old 12-20-2013, 1:24 PM

Back on Pendleton I was single, so the government thought that I wasn't responsible enough to keep my guns in the barracks. Simple solution was to keep them in a fellow sergeant's house on base less than a minute away. I actually cut it close because right after I dropped off a Python and left base, I had my vehicle searched coming back.

Moral of the story: Having dependents somehow makes you more fit to keep your arms than single servicemen.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 12-20-2013, 1:55 PM

I've gone an entire career in the Air Force dragging firearms with me to various duty stations.

Occasionally I have had to stash them with other people, such as when I was stationed in Europe (left them with my parents at my home of record), and now as I am moving to Cali from being stationed in a free state.

When I was living in some base housing as a temporary resident, I had to store them in the base armory. When I was a permanent resident in married base housing, I kept them at my house once my Commander signed a slip and gave me permission.

Overall it hasn't been too much of a pain, but I have spend a lot of money a couple times over the years shipping rifles to myself to store them with my folks.
Old 12-20-2013, 3:50 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will probably end up leaving most of my firearms with a close relative.