Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-13-2008, 9:21 AM
B.C. B.C. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Bay
Posts: 173
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default edit

EDIT

Last edited by B.C.; 07-11-2016 at 8:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-13-2008, 9:25 AM
randy randy is offline
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Clarita, CA & Winnemucca, NV
Posts: 4,643
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I think there is a form on the DOJ web site you can use to check and get it registered in your name.

If it's got sentimental value to you what do you think it would have to the person who it was stolen from.

Be a stand up guy and register it you'll sleep better.
__________________
I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-13-2008, 9:33 AM
B.C. B.C. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Bay
Posts: 173
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post
I think there is a form on the DOJ web site you can use to check and get it registered in your name.

If it's got sentimental value to you what do you think it would have to the person who it was stolen from.

Be a stand up guy and register it you'll sleep better.
EDIT

Last edited by B.C.; 06-12-2015 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 AM
tyrist tyrist is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,556
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Just take the gun in and have it run to make sure it is legal. It's not worth it to get caught in possession of a stolen firearm.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 AM
TimG's Avatar
TimG TimG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lake View Terrace
Posts: 355
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Can you just register a gun you have in your possesion ?? wouldnt you have to do a PTP transfer or something of the sort ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Fjold Fjold is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Near Bakersfield
Posts: 20,601
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimG View Post
Can you just register a gun you have in your possesion ?? wouldnt you have to do a PTP transfer or something of the sort ?
A parent can give a handgun to a 18 year old or older child at any time if the child has a HSC and then sends in the intrafamilial transfer form.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2008, 10:42 AM
TimG's Avatar
TimG TimG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lake View Terrace
Posts: 355
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
A parent can give a handgun to a 18 year old or older child at any time if the child has a HSC and then sends in the intrafamilial transfer form.
DOH!! I knew that. Looks like reading comperhension is not my strong point today. lol
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 AM
B.C. B.C. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Bay
Posts: 173
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

EDIT

Last edited by B.C.; 06-12-2015 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-13-2008, 11:03 AM
762cavalier's Avatar
762cavalier 762cavalier is offline
NRA Training Counselor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,626
iTrader: 50 / 100%
Default

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/...pdf&images=yes

Just fill out this form and send in your 19 dollars. This is for handguns. You don't need to worry about long guns or shotguns.

This won't apply at all to your one gun a month quota.
__________________
In any type of fight, & especially gun fights, there are no winners ..... just varying degrees of losers. The only fight you win is the one you never get into.


NRA Certified Instructor
Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor

Smog Inspections in the Sacramento area.

Last edited by 762cavalier; 02-13-2008 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
theDfactor theDfactor is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Simply go to:
http://www.hotgunz.com/?gclid=COPz7q...FQYLbAodpGPJyQ
and enter the serial number... No other action is required... It takes only seconds to get an answer.
It is a simple and prudent way to check a weapon BEFORE purchasing it…
You can even do so from most hi-tech cell phones instantly…
Caution… Many guns are reported stolen, recovered and returned to the rightful owner, and then sold by the rightful owner… The serial numbers are not always removed from the NCIC data base, and you could be held in custody for possession of a stolen weapon until the issue gets sorted out… Hopefully all the legal owners will still be alive…!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
MaHoTex's Avatar
MaHoTex MaHoTex is offline
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Isola di Linosa
Posts: 5,195
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

A near 4 year necro post... Holy old posts batman!
__________________
NRA Life Member

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!


Waiting for Trump to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Hillary Clinton.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-20-2011, 1:32 PM
bruceflinch's Avatar
bruceflinch bruceflinch is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gun Point, KA
Posts: 39,769
iTrader: 66 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDfactor View Post
Simply go to:
http://www.hotgunz.com/?gclid=COPz7q...FQYLbAodpGPJyQ
and enter the serial number... No other action is required... It takes only seconds to get an answer.
It is a simple and prudent way to check a weapon BEFORE purchasing it…
You can even do so from most hi-tech cell phones instantly…
Caution… Many guns are reported stolen, recovered and returned to the rightful owner, and then sold by the rightful owner… The serial numbers are not always removed from the NCIC data base, and you could be held in custody for possession of a stolen weapon until the issue gets sorted out… Hopefully all the legal owners will still be alive…!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
A near 4 year necro post... Holy old posts batman!
Noobies 1st post....
__________________
Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-20-2011, 1:40 PM
HighLander51 HighLander51 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,144
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

The HotGunz thing doesn't work anyway. I just ran the serial numbers of two Open STI race guns that I know where stolen from USPSA shooters, and reported. The numbers didn't show up.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-20-2011, 8:08 PM
G-forceJunkie's Avatar
G-forceJunkie G-forceJunkie is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SCV, So. Cal
Posts: 4,134
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Same here, I punched in the SN of a gun I had stolen 15 years ago, its not on there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
The HotGunz thing doesn't work anyway. I just ran the serial numbers of two Open STI race guns that I know where stolen from USPSA shooters, and reported. The numbers didn't show up.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-20-2011, 8:20 PM
jaime7818 jaime7818 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: merced county
Posts: 342
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
Same here, I punched in the SN of a gun I had stolen 15 years ago, its not on there.
I actually believe you!?!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
an AW bill in NV would go over like a fart in church
[QUOTE=russ69;6282246]Nope. Life is just like gym class...show up and take a shower and you'll do OK.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-15-2011, 5:20 PM
Zedrek's Avatar
Zedrek Zedrek is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,804
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Adding to this old post, HotGunz is a user reported database. So unless you reported it stolen to them it won't be in there. You can always call the police and have them run the serial number to see if it's stolen. You know, from a pay phone of course.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:42 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.