Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-11-2013, 6:19 AM

Default Drill question for US Marine NCO's

Grandfather's funeral is coming up. He's a US Army WWII vet and requested that his grandsons that served wear their dress uniforms and be pallbearers at his funeral. I fly out tomorrow and the funeral is on Sat so not much time.

I was discharged a number of years ago but rate to wear my Blues. I've read up on the regs and I will be in complete compliance.

So my questions are: a family member suggested that I bring my NCO sword and possibly command the rifle salute at the grave side portion of the funeral.

1) Will the American Legion allow a former Marine NCO to command the ceremony?

2) I can't track down a frog, my hometown is in the middle of nowhere Arizona so there really aren't even any over night services to ship one if I ordered one today. So the question is, would it be acceptable to lead the ceremony without a scabbard/frog if the American Legion soldiers were already assembled? With the sword already at Order Arms?

These American Legion soldiers will be fairly older guys and, at least in my home town, they don't march to position, just pretty much stand around until it is time.

If this can't happen, at least I want to report back that I exhausted all resources. Thanks for your service and thanks for taking the time to give me some input.
Old 12-11-2013, 8:37 AM

Call your local VFW or reserve unit. The reserve units have way more knowledge on this stuff then us active guys as we don't really do a lot of funeral details.

As far as the sword goes it needs to be properly worn if used. I don't think swords are traditionally used at funerals, but I differ to someone with more expertise. If you are anywhere around Oceanside I can have a frog for you today. I have one in my uniform box in my garage.
Old 12-11-2013, 9:03 AM

Reading up on the topic, my understanding is that in order to lead men under arms you need to be armed yourself. I may be mistaken, I've poured over alot of info in the last 24 hours.

I guess I'm a bit tired and stressed, I didn't even think of trying to get a hold of the local command in Arizona
Old 12-11-2013, 9:10 PM
Veteran Member

What part of AZ.
Old 12-12-2013, 1:34 PM
Veteran Member

From this NCO, I would honor your grandfather, his service and his request, and not sweat the letter of the regulation. No one will say a word to you if you are or are not wearing a sword.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
From this NCO, I would honor your grandfather, his service and his request, and not sweat the letter of the regulation. No one will say a word to you if you are or are not wearing a sword.
Concur. You are there for your grandfather, you are not active any more, just get it done with the utmost respect possible. If someone tries to gig you for no frog, tell them to f*ck off.

Ammunition Supply Point
Vacaville, CA
707-448-8662
Great Owners, nice selection of firearms!
OLL AR
Old 12-13-2013, 11:05 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

My dad always taught me to just do the best you can. Sorry for your loss.
Old 12-17-2013, 7:49 PM

As long as you are properly wearing your uniform and don't have a gotee or super long hair or anything crazy nobody will care. But reservists always handle funerals because they have to rationalize their existence call them and ask what to do if you really want to do it by the book.