Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-10-2013, 12:04 AM
student88 student88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Women Gun Owners Questionaire

Hi everyone I'm a university student graduating with a degree in Criminology, for one of my assignments I have to conduct a survey questionaire on women gun owners. The criteria for the women is as follows you have to have purchased your first firearm between 2005-2013. Recently in the past couple of years the amount of women gun owners has risen as some of you probably already know. The purpose of the assignment is to study a group of people that do not have alot of data on them already, there is plenty of data on men but not so much on women which is why I decided to go with that. In the past variables such as living in an area with a high crime rate or being the victim of a crime have caused spikes in ownership. Now there are some new variables such as increase in mass shootings and hurricane katrina/hurricane sandy. The qustionaire has no political agenda attached to it, me personally I am against gun control I believe every law abiding citizen should have the right to defend themselves and bear arms.

Heres the survey you may PM me your responses or post them in a reply within this thread completely up to you. If any men on the forum have a wife or significant other that fits this criteria (having purchased your first firearm within 2005-2013) then it would be greatly apreciated if you could give them the questionaire. If there are any questions you feel are to personal or your not comfortable answering then you don'thave to answer. If there are any more details anyone would like to know regarding the study I will be more than happy to answer them.


1. What is your first name (You may use a fake name)? How old are you?

2. What is your background/ethnicity?

3. What is your occupation?

4. Where do you live, and do you live by yourself or with family/friends?

5. Is the community you live in safe? Does your community have a sufficient number of police? Do you think they are trained well enough to handle the crimes in your community? If not did this influence you to purchase a firearm?

6. Do you think you are more vulnerable because you are female? Have you or anyone you know ever been the victim of a crime? Did this influence you to purchase a firearm?

7. How much TV do you watch? What type of programs are you watching? Did any form of media or news reports influence you to purchase a firearm?

8. Is the community you live in vulnerable to a natural disaster? Are there a sufficient number of government personnel to keep you safe? Are they trained well enough to keep you safe? If not then did this influence your purchase of a firearm?

9. Is owning a firearm a hobby for you? Do you use your firearm for hunting, skeet shooting, or any other sporting activities? Are these activities the main reason for you owning a firearm?

10. What was your stance on the 2nd amendment “the right to bear arms”? Did the 2nd amendment influence you to purchase a firearm?

11. When exactly did you buy your first firearm? What kind of firearm was it and how many have you bought so far? What was the initial reason for you buying a firearm?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 AM
kaligaran's Avatar
kaligaran kaligaran is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,750
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Edit: I purchased my first firearm in 1997. Sorry I didn't see that earlier. I'll leave this here anyway.


1. What is your first name (You may use a fake name)? How old are you?
Jennie - 34

2. What is your background/ethnicity?
Caucasian

3. What is your occupation?
Software Engineer

4. Where do you live, and do you live by yourself or with family/friends?
With my partner, no kids.

5. Is the community you live in safe? Does your community have a sufficient number of police? Do you think they are trained well enough to handle the crimes in your community? If not did this influence you to purchase a firearm?
Yes.
No.
That's a loaded question. I think the police do their job well but they can't be everywhere.
No.

6. Do you think you are more vulnerable because you are female? Have you or anyone you know ever been the victim of a crime? Did this influence you to purchase a firearm?
I don't feel more vulnerable but I do think that many bad guys see a female as vulnerable therefore making women a more likely target for random crimes of 'opportunity'.
No that isn't a factor in my purchasing of a firearm. The force equalizer is the same for people of all sizes, ages, genders.

7. How much TV do you watch? What type of programs are you watching? Did any form of media or news reports influence you to purchase a firearm?
I watch a lot of science/discovery/history.
No.

8. Is the community you live in vulnerable to a natural disaster? Are there a sufficient number of government personnel to keep you safe? Are they trained well enough to keep you safe? If not then did this influence your purchase of a firearm?
Yes.
No.
I don't know how they are trained. They are cops. I expect they would do their job the best they could but then again as I said before, they can't be everywhere.
No.

9. Is owning a firearm a hobby for you? Do you use your firearm for hunting, skeet shooting, or any other sporting activities? Are these activities the main reason for you owning a firearm?
Owning a firearm isn't a hobby, some of the things I do with it is.
Yes.
No.

10. What was your stance on the 2nd amendment “the right to bear arms”? Did the 2nd amendment influence you to purchase a firearm?
You misquoted it. It's "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms...". That's a big misquote.
No.

11. When exactly did you buy your first firearm? What kind of firearm was it and how many have you bought so far? What was the initial reason for you buying a firearm?
I bought my first firearm at age 18 when I was legally able to purchase a long gun. It was a shotgun.
And since then I've bought more than I need and less than I want.
The initial reason was home defense and sport shooting.


Edit to fix misspelling.
__________________
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL

Last edited by kaligaran; 12-10-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2013, 11:28 AM
PM720 PM720 is offline
Calguns.net Shooting Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Covina
Posts: 1,501
iTrader: 120 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by student88 View Post

1. What is your first name (You may use a fake name)? How old are you?
Dude! Did you seriously just ask a bunch of women WITH GUNS how old they are? Do you like living on the edge?

JK, Carry on!

Scott
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-10-2013, 11:28 AM
student88 student88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Thank you Jennie! I apreciate you taking the time to answer the questions!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-10-2013, 11:29 AM
student88 student88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Dude! Did you seriously just ask a bunch of women WITH GUNS how old they are? Do you like living on the edge?

JK, Carry on!

Scott
hahaha! yes I was a bit worried of the raction to that question
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-10-2013, 12:48 PM
LittleOldLady's Avatar
LittleOldLady LittleOldLady is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 240
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I think your data needs to address all female gun owners.
It would give you a more balanced perspective than that narrow band.

Not just a small grouping. And not just the new shooters.

Why the small grouping of female firearms owners if I may ask?
__________________
"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Dalai Lama

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-10-2013, 3:09 PM
student88 student88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

it's because theres been a tremendous increase in the amount of women gun owners in recent years as you may know. the study aim to focus on the new owners and find out why they are purchasing firearms.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-10-2013, 3:15 PM
LittleOldLady's Avatar
LittleOldLady LittleOldLady is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 240
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Nods in understanding
__________________
"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Dalai Lama

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-11-2013, 1:23 PM
waho's Avatar
waho waho is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 257
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Question # 10. Why past tense? Sounds to me like an anti-fishing expedition.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-11-2013, 1:26 PM
kaligaran's Avatar
kaligaran kaligaran is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,750
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waho View Post
Question # 10. Why past tense? Sounds to me like an anti-fishing expedition.
Based on wording of the question and the misquote. It does sound like the author isn't a 2A activist for sure.

Perhaps it is a fishing expedition. IDK.

However there's no personally identifiable information being requested. So I think it's good to show that there are women of all walks of life that are joining the gun owner and shooting sport ranks. In fact, we've always been there, just joining at a higher than average rate.
__________________
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-11-2013, 1:40 PM
LittleOldLady's Avatar
LittleOldLady LittleOldLady is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 240
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
Based on wording of the question and the misquote. It does sound like the author isn't a 2A activist for sure.

Perhaps it is a fishing expedition. IDK.

However there's no personally identifiable information being requested. So I think it's good to show that there are women of all walks of life that are joining the gun owner and shooting sport ranks. In fact, we've always been there, just joining at a higher than average rate.
Maybe joining at a higher than average rate, but where/when I grew up everyone had guns.

Maybe more like standing up today and actually saying, 'I have a gun!' because it was not feminine to have a gun(I muse).
__________________
"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Dalai Lama

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 12-11-2013 at 1:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-11-2013, 1:53 PM
Pally Pally is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 717
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

IDK...The OP's post seems a little odd. Doesn't NY have enough readily available data for the student/researcher? (The OP posted additional detail in another section of CG)...IDK
__________________
NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-11-2013, 2:06 PM
kaligaran's Avatar
kaligaran kaligaran is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,750
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleOldLady View Post
Maybe joining at a higher than average rate, but where/when I grew up everyone had guns.

Maybe more like standing up today and actually saying, 'I have a gun!' because it was not feminine to have a gun(I muse).
I grew up in TN so I'm in the same boat as you.

Hopefully to clarify what I meant, I was referring to the rate of new female gun ownership increasing I think is higher than average.
__________________
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-11-2013, 2:15 PM
CAL.BAR CAL.BAR is offline
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South OC
Posts: 3,821
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Not sure how valid a poll it's going to be when he gets half a dozen female responses. (seriously, we can count the # of women on this site with fingers and toes it think)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-12-2013, 10:42 AM
kaligaran's Avatar
kaligaran kaligaran is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,750
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
Not sure how valid a poll it's going to be when he gets half a dozen female responses. (seriously, we can count the # of women on this site with fingers and toes it think)
That's not true (thank god). I know of at least a couple of dozen I've seen that flat out said they were a female or had an obviously female user name.

The thing is that most people don't realize that some of the members of female until they say it. In fact almost all members assume everyone is male.

I can't tell you how many times I've been called 'bro'.

Reminds me of the scene in Matrix (the original):
Trinity: What?
Neo: I just thought, uhm, you were a guy.
Trinity: Most guys do.
__________________
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-01-2014, 4:12 PM
onequickshift's Avatar
onequickshift onequickshift is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 473
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

1. What is your first name (You may use a fake name)? How old are you?
Some call me Tokki. I am 29.

2. What is your background/ethnicity?
I am euro and asian, both of those halves in use are very mixed.

3. What is your occupation?
I work in LE, side stuff I train here and there, and also train others.

4. Where do you live, and do you live by yourself or with family/friends?
Keep homes in CA, CO, TX mainly. And no, not by myself

5. Is the community you live in safe? Does your community have a sufficient number of police? Do you think they are trained well enough to handle the crimes in your community? If not did this influence you to purchase a firearm?
Safe? Generally I'd guess. And yes sufficient to say the least. And yes trained very well. Regardless didn't influence for firearm purchase.

6. Do you think you are more vulnerable because you are female? Have you or anyone you know ever been the victim of a crime? Did this influence you to purchase a firearm?
Yes. And yes. I used to model when I was younger, I was both softer and physically weaker then. I was almost raped after a gig, and that happens; just decided was not going to let animals have their way.

7. How much TV do you watch? What type of programs are you watching? Did any form of media or news reports influence you to purchase a firearm?
I don't really watch tv.

8. Is the community you live in vulnerable to a natural disaster? Are there a sufficient number of government personnel to keep you safe? Are they trained well enough to keep you safe? If not then did this influence your purchase of a firearm?
Generally I think everywhere is subject to any kind of disaster, from fire to flood, earthquakes and so on. I think there are sufficient personnel on hand to respond to some emergencies, but I don't think its a good idea folks solely rely on public service to take care of them for everything, I believe every person should keep themselves readily in shape, keep a decent amount of food for themselves and family, and or have their own firearms for protection. Dialing 911 for a 5min or longer arrival doesn't solve certain encounters that're settled in under 60 seconds.

9. Is owning a firearm a hobby for you? Do you use your firearm for hunting, skeet shooting, or any other sporting activities? Are these activities the main reason for you owning a firearm?
Eh, yes and no? I don't really see firearms as a hobby, I use them as tools, like I do snap ons on a car or bike, but yes I do get enjoyment out of them, and actively run & gunning, I like applying training, and practice. So if need be in real world scenario, skillsets practiced and used, can be utilized fully. After running into folks, and trying different firearms, of theirs; yes does influence purchases for firearms

10. What was your stance on the 2nd amendment “the right to bear arms”? Did the 2nd amendment influence you to purchase a firearm?
My stance is everyone has that right, and anyone in elected seats should not and do not have a right to needle pick at it to justify their own wants and agendas. And yes it did, right to bear arms.

11. When exactly did you buy your first firearm? What kind of firearm was it and how many have you bought so far? What was the initial reason for you buying a firearm?
I can't remember, 05-06 I think? And it was a Glock. Initial reason was because after leaving a modeling gig, I was being watched by a guy, who to say the least wanted to do as he wanted with me. And yes, was the reason I bought. How many have I bought so far? A lot. Mostly long guns, because I enjoy them more. I enjoy building them. I buy lowers in bulk and usually transfer completed rifles to friends and associates at LGS as gifts like I did for christmas Companies like Noveske, BCM, are my fav I also like "Long Knocks of God", just picked up 2 GAP Rifles I like shotguns, just not as much Hopefully that helps.

Lastly, I am in a group with other women who are close friends, mostly veterans and or current LE, I will pass along your survey
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:39 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.