Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:33 PM

Default Your thoughts on this used Liberty safe?

I've been looking at safes for a couple weeks now, went to a few places locally and got my hands on some safes and this looks like the best deal to be had (if it's still there on Monday). It's advertised as a Liberty President safe for $1000 (I'm assuming they meant Presidential). It appears to be a few years old (could be 10 years old for all I know?). I wasn't able to look inside because it was locked and staff was busy helping others so I just snapped some pics and went off on my way.

I'm a little leery about about buying a used safe especially one with what appears to be a key lock and possibly having the company do the delivery doesn't help my concern since I don't own a truck or have a hand truck strong enough to roll this behemoth into my garage even if I managed to get it to my driveway. All of that aside what do you guys think? I don't want a good deal to slip away but I have no idea what the specs on the safe are or what the interior looks like. I'm hoping the specs are identical to a current Liberty Presidential safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg liberty safe 1.jpg (91.4 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg liberty safe 2.jpg (91.4 KB, 146 views)
Old 11-29-2013, 10:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice safe. I would contact Liberty, give them the serial number and see that this has never been replaced due to fire. You may also check on the warranty and see what they can offer you for protection. Without seeing the inside it is hard to tell bit this looks like a pretty good deal for $1000. I bet you could talk them down to $800 by making a $700 offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsandoc40 View Post
Might as well go to your local PD and just give up all your firearms. While you're at it, drive down to the border and help a bunch of illegals into the country.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bako88fan View Post
Nice safe. I would contact Liberty, give them the serial number and see that this has never been replaced due to fire. You may also check on the warranty and see what they can offer you for protection. Without seeing the inside it is hard to tell bit this looks like a pretty good deal for $1000. I bet you could talk them down to $800 by making a $700 offer.
Thanks Bako, if it was replaced due to fire how is that a bad thing if it was replaced?
Old 11-30-2013, 1:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm sorry I misspoke a bit. If it were repaired due to fire that would be a little iffy to me. The other issue might be if replacement for a fire meaning that Liberty won't replace the safe again. Therefore, the safe is out of "lives" or exchanges.

I don't know exactly how Liberty does business with used safes of this age but it cannot hurt to ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsandoc40 View Post
Might as well go to your local PD and just give up all your firearms. While you're at it, drive down to the border and help a bunch of illegals into the country.
Old 11-30-2013, 8:01 AM

I wouldn't get too excited until I saw the inside, and spoke with a store employee. It's possible that there was SOME kind of damage. Whether it was water, fire related, or god knows what.

It'd probably be a good idea to call Liberty and see if they can offer any info if you provide the serial #. Who knows.
Old 11-30-2013, 9:10 AM

Do you guys know where the serial number is located on this model safe?
Old 11-30-2013, 9:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shak180 View Post
Do you guys know where the serial number is located on this model safe?
Look inside along the door frame.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That looks like a smokin' deal. $1/lb for a nice safe is an impossibly good price. The Presidential line is almost their best. I would have had the employees open it for me no matter how long I had to wait.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

The last thing I would worry about is the company who sold you the safe doing the delivery. I mean seriously, if you can't trust a retailer who sells safes, who can you trust?

On the condition of the safe and keys, why not just ask? Even if the safe were 10 years old, you have little to worry about other than actual condition. Take a good once over and if you're not satisfied, don't buy it. As for the key, you could ask them if they have all the keys or ask how much they charge to rekey the safe.

Last edited by NytWolf; 12-01-2013 at 12:30 AM..
Old 11-30-2013, 1:31 PM

Are there any specific things I should watch out for when I open the safe up?

Thanks for all your helpful input guys
Old 11-30-2013, 2:24 PM
Vendor/Retailer

That's a nice Presidential 25, its old because it does not have the bevel on the edge, guessing it is roughly some where mid 90's. Serial numbers would be on the back, lower right hand side. All Liberty Safes that go through fire are replaced, attempted break in are repaired or replaced. It probably has minimal fire protection but depending on the age its a 3/16" or 1/4" box probably the later. Awesome safe for the price. I have a 16 year old used Presidential 50 on my floor right now and the thing is in beautiful condition and functions flawlessly. That is a heavy box for $1000. My thoughts anyway, from a Liberty dealer for 22 years.
Best,
Brad
West Coast Safes, Inc.
Old 11-30-2013, 2:47 PM

nice safe and decent price. Check the fire rating, if it is 60 to 90 minutes and north of 800 lbs., buy it...you won't get a better deal. Since its used you can probably get it cash for $900. Liberty is reputable.
Old 12-03-2013, 8:40 PM

Went down there and the liberty was pending sale to someone else but the floor guy kind of put me onto fire safes, he had a nice 2 hour rated amsec safe for sale for $1050 shipped to anywhere in my house. It doesn't have an rsc rating but in that price range of gun safes this used fire safe is a worthy if not better candidate, I'm highly considering getting it.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:05 AM

FYI, RSC rating is absolutely worthless.