Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Bernardino Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member

Default geocaching..

I ran into a few of these guys on Sunday out on BLM land where I shoot. I have shot on this spot at least 25 times in the last 6 months and have only seen one truck roll by and a Razor. I bet I have spent 120 hours out there seen two people, until Sunday.

Its a flat spot with about a 10 foot rise about 200 yards out. The land behind my targets is going out to restricted area (Edwards) No rocks and no brush in this area. It looks to have been a shooting area for some time, my son and I are cleaning it up bit by bit.

I learned a very hard lesson that day. I had no idea that about 300 yards behind my little 10 foot hill there were 3 guys out there looking for what they called "treasure" ..geocachers .

They had left their car and were out in the desert walking around. No excuses, I screwed up and thank god nobody was hurt.

FWIW, please take note and watch out for these guys. Its not like a jeep or other ATV you can hear coming from a mile away.
Old 11-15-2013, 5:49 AM

It's not your fault!!!! It' the hider of the cache. They didn't recon the area and place a safe cache. It's the geocaching mentality that causes the problems. I use to geocache but the attitudes of making a hobby a competition really sucks. I mean who in their right mind would hide a cache in a shooting area?????
Old 11-15-2013, 6:22 AM

If it were me I would have highly suggested to them to enter the fact that the cache was in a regular shooting area on the online log to warn others to be careful. Geocachers are pretty good about self policing and pointing out dangerous cache locations, and having them moved.
Old 11-15-2013, 6:26 AM

Yeah, that sounds like a failure on the cache placer's part.
NOTE TO SELF: Do not place geocaches at the target end of a shooting location, in active minefields, or inside industrial meat grinders.
Old 11-27-2013, 4:13 PM

It is possible that the direction the GC'ers came from MAY too have been a similar direction where the original Cacher placed the GC, thus never noticing that there was a "range" on the other side of a knoll

Then again, even if you don't hear them, I'd think they'd hear gun shots and should've been on the alert

In the end, glad no one got hurt. Make sure you always scout downrange (even if you have to check every 30mins-hr if it's possible that someone could be over a knoll or ridge or something
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!
Old 12-01-2013, 9:37 AM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Woodford View Post
It's not your fault!!!! It' the hider of the cache. They didn't recon the area and place a safe cache. It's the geocaching mentality that causes the problems. I use to geocache but the attitudes of making a hobby a competition really sucks. I mean who in their right mind would hide a cache in a shooting area?????
I too used to GeoCache and is the responsibility of the owner of the cache to not place the people finding it in harms way... Or at least warn the hunters in advance. Ridiculous that they would place it in the line of fire!