Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-07-2013, 4:59 PM

Default Making a 10/30 PMAG for 7.62

I have some PMAG repair kits that I'm wondering if I can set up for use with my 7.62x39 upper. I've already got magazineblocks that are meant to make them into 10 round mags for .223 rounds. I'm wondering if there are issues with making these into mags just for 7.62 instead. I loaded one of my current 10/30 with about 6 or 7 rounds and everything cycled just fine.

I already have some 10 round mags that are supposed to perform this functionality but there are no markings on them that indicate they are for 7.62. Since there is nothing to distinguish them from .223 mags, and they'll hold more than 10 rounds of .223, I'm trying to do the right thing and err on the side of caution....for the mags I have and the mags I'd like to build legally.

I'm looking for guidance before plugging in my dremel.
  • What should I do to make it self-evident that these are for 7.62?
  • Would I need to mark them as 7.62 as a CYA measure?
  • Should I remove the raised 5.56 marking from the mag body?

I'd like to keep this informative and avoid any rants about what I shouldn't have to do, free state comments, etc. Hopefully this can be informative for those who might want to pick up a few more repair kits before the 1/1/14 deadline comes. This isn't an attempt of any kind to skirt the law and have .223 mags that hold more than 10 rounds, so let's keep it serious please.
Old 11-07-2013, 6:44 PM
Banned

A- Only a Jury can tell you if your HOME MANUFACTURED magazine is legal. This is of course after you have bought your lawyer a new bass boat. If they say you did it wrong, you loose your firearm rights FOREVER. Your lawyer goes fishing.

B- Only HOME MANUFACTURED magazines have this "issue."

C- The DA must prove;
1- You manufactured it
2- You did it less then 3 years from the date you where charged
3- They have jurisdiction in the area in which you committed the crime.

D- You can ONLY be charged with; manufacturing, selling, transporting in CA Large capacity magazines. Making a 10/30 IMPROPERLY is manufacturing a Large Capacity magazine. Even if it holds only 10rd, its still a LCM.

Never manufacture a 10/30 at home. never admit to anyone you manufactured a 10/30 at home. You help the DA meet his/her burden when you do.

E- Large Capacity Magazines are LEGAL to own. You just have to meet certain requirements. See "C" for a list of things to ask yourself.

Last edited by CWDraco; 11-07-2013 at 6:46 PM..
Old 11-08-2013, 3:55 PM

That's an interesting perspective that certainly keeps me from moving forward. However, these are already "manufactured" repair kits, so I'm not certain that by assembling them with a mag block that I am somehow "manufacturing" anything.

If you take a look at the purpose-built 7.62 10 rounders from ACS, they look identical to a .223 10 rounder except that they are longer. No matter how closely I look, I don't see a difference in the follower, feed lips, or front edge of the mag. I plan on marking these in a way so that I never load .223 rounds into them and was hoping to do the same for a PMAG, although my guess is the official designation would have to be more like "10/21" since the overall capacity is different for 7.62.

Anyone else have any input on this subject? I didn't want to post this in Librarian's thread "Magazines: all the answers you need" but maybe I shouldn't shy away. I'd love his feedback.