Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > Ventura Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 6:51 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Ventura Gun Show Update

Despite what their ads say this weeks gun show will not have modern firearms. We were notified this morning when we were attempting to setup our guns that the promoter did not procure the necessary licenses. We pulled our displays and will not be a vendor at the show.
805-256-1547
www.islandviewent.com
www.facebook.com/IslandViewEnterprises
www.youtube.com/IslandViewGuns
sales@islandviewent.com
Sun- Th 12-6:30pm
Sat - Sun 12-8pm
"We Are Not the Store That Tells Everyone We Are Building A Range, We Are the Ones That Did It!"
Old 11-02-2013, 7:04 AM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor

Wow, sorry to hear that, a whole lot of wasted effort on your part! I'm sure there are a lot of upset buyers at the show as well.
Old 11-02-2013, 7:08 AM

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-02-2013, 7:09 AM
Veteran Member

Weird
Old 11-02-2013, 7:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Stoopid American Redneck™
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandviewent View Post
the promoter did not procure the necessary licenses
Seems like the kind of thing that the promotor of a "Gun and Knife show" wouldn't forget. Why do I have a hard time believing this was an accident?

"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015
Old 11-02-2013, 10:33 AM

It's the road runner show enough said
Old 11-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Stoopid American Redneck™
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag_Surfer View Post
It's the road runner show enough said
True. The last one was pretty lame as I recall. Crossroads is Dec 21/22. Guess I'll wait it out.

"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015
Old 11-02-2013, 11:40 AM

The woman from Road Runner hollering down the line said the DOJ pulled their permit yesterday at 3pm, anyone know what the real scoop on this is.

I'm pissed, wasted gas, parking and admission to wander around a taser and beef jerky show. There's a couple hours of my life I'll never get back.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:42 AM

I feel bad for the 40 + people that went to go pick up there jd lowers and were not able to .. lucky for me I had a trip planned to come to san Diego this same weekend I was called letting me know they were ready to be picked up
Old 11-02-2013, 12:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Found out after I got to front of line at 9:40 that no modern firearms. Waste of time and money. At least i got there before they charged for parking. Show was empty half the tables empty. No powder and 22s for $60-75 per brick. Got my buck knife sharpened for a productive 5 minutes.
Old 11-02-2013, 2:15 PM

Ok, folks.... First off, my license packet was mailed to DOJ over a week ago, they claim they did not receive it. After telling me Thursday to get them the form, I faxed a copy in, the person there gave me their physical address to have someone take a replacement fee in yesterday morning, they refused to accept it when they got there. They then told me around 10:30 am that if I brought another promoter on as a co-manager that would be acceptable. So, I stopped at Chiriaco Summit, changed all of the paperwork from my name to a friend who does other shows locally, with his permission of course, and faxed it over to them. They called me back at 11:52 a.m. and said, "oh, this isn't going to work, he has to sign all of the forms by noon!" They could have made it happen, they didn't want to... they refused to.
Old 11-02-2013, 2:32 PM

The signs informing people of this weekends issue begin before you pay to park... there are multiple signs. At any time, at any event if someone is displeased and does not mention it to the promoter while they are still there, it is their own fault. We lowered the admission to $8, $7 with the coupon to compensate for the deficit in modern gun vendors. Which besides Island View, we lost a total of 3 other vendors completely... most stayed and just put their modern firearms away.

The reason the show is light on tables is the same as it has been for the past several shows... the Crossroads entity trying to run all of the other promoters out of business by booking on top of their shows. They booked a show in SF this weekend to prevent any vendors from wanting to travel south from Northern or Central CA and a show in Glendale, AZ to prevent vendors from traveling west from AZ. If you don't believe me, ask any reliable gun show afficiando that has been around for a couple of decades or so.

Anytime anyone, vendor or public comes to me with an issue, I am more than happy to try and come to resolution where no one leaves unhappy or discouraged. I have been doing this all day today, and for the most part we have gotten nothing but encouragement and support from dealers and the public.

JD Machine was told they could deliver the lowers that they were supposed to this weekend. If they did not, that is a decision they made and had nothing to do with the show or it's situation. Those were completed transactions and by law they could have met them at Von's even to deliver, so, they could do it here as well.

Anyone with any comments, questions, etc is more than welcome to contact me, Since I am NOT Crossroads, you will not be treated with disregard or disrespect. Thank you.
Old 11-02-2013, 2:56 PM

Didn't see the sign before the parking lot, but by the time I got to the ticket window, I was fully aware. Decided to go on in anyways, but I view gun shows like I did the reloading clinic; entertainment. I wasn't fully disappointed, but it was disheartening.

25-40% vacancy throughout what always used to be full of vendors. Although the parking lot was full and there were 100 people in line for tickets ahead of me, there was an odd lack of attendees. No lines at LAX, didn't bump into a single person all day.

Was able to meet two new vendors with great products and stopped by and spoke to many others with whom I've dealt with before. They made the entire trip worth it.

But.... the vendors are piiiiiiissed. Between this and what Lori described above, it sounds like the McManns have an uphill battle ahead of them.
Old 11-02-2013, 6:43 PM

Thank you. Also, people need to realize that comparing our show to Crossroads is like comparing fruit to cupcakes as a snack... Crossroads is a multi-million dollar corporation with literally dozens of employees working on each task involved in their shows, I do everything on our shows from start to finish... by myself with the help of a very faithful mate and a few close friends that are paid so little they may as well be volunteers. We do and attend gun shows for a love of gun shows and my Father, who loved gun shows and originally built the show from nothing 25 years ago. Some of you may think the Crossroads show is so great, but they are the ones who destroyed it by coming in where they didn't belong riding off of our coat tails and oversaturating the market. We had 5 shows a year here in Ventura for over 20 years, every show was a good show. Then they came and the first half of the year there is a show every month, and they all suck! Unbelieveably there are people who think we are the ones who should leave. Think of your own businesses and lives and how you might think and act if this were you...

Now, tomorrow, Nov. 3rd if any of you locals would like to be part of the solution, not part of the problem... I would like to invite you to bring your items to fill the empty spaces at the show at no charge. We have exhibitor set-up from 8-9am, don't forget to set your clocks back. Remember, this weekend only, no modern firearm sales. You can email me to let me know you are coming or just show up at the office. Really hope to see some of you in the morning. Lori
Old 11-02-2013, 9:39 PM

What does no modern firearms mean? Does this mean only c&r?
Old 11-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Calguns Addict

WTS: IMR4064, H335, H322, H4198
IWI TAVOR B16 FDE 5.56/.223
Old 11-03-2013, 6:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura Gun Show View Post

Now, tomorrow, Nov. 3rd if any of you locals would like to be part of the solution, not part of the problem... I would like to invite you to bring your items to fill the empty spaces at the show at no charge. We have exhibitor set-up from 8-9am, don't forget to set your clocks back. Remember, this weekend only, no modern firearm sales. You can email me to let me know you are coming or just show up at the office. Really hope to see some of you in the morning. Lori
Wow, your going to piss off the vendor that paid for this show.
Old 11-03-2013, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Wow, your going to piss off the vendor that paid for this show.

Yea more than a few were pissed. Hell, almost half of the vendors that had displays that they were setting up that Friday evening just packed up and left.
Old 11-03-2013, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadela08 View Post
What does no modern firearms mean? Does this mean only c&r?
There were C&R and antique guns on display, as well as non-firearms (read uppers and 80%'ers).
Old 11-04-2013, 5:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

no firearms newer than 50 years old were allowed. (no modern firearms)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 AM

Correct! And, licensing issues are resolved for the January show. The vendors who paid for their spaces were comped plenty of extra space and I am sure understand that by asking folks to bring in allowable stuff to fill in empty space, I was only trying to enhance the show. You see, with my parents, mainly my Father, Pat McMann, having been an exhibitor at gun shows many years before I was even born... a lot of the vendors at the gun shows are like family to me. Hence, with their dislike for other promoters and just the fact that since we have been at the fairgrounds for over 25 years and it is the right thing to do.... I have sold property and so on to continue to have the financing to advertise and keep these shows going. It is completely untrue that anywhere near half of the vendors that were already there on Friday packed up and went home! 3 vendors who were already there packed up and went home, Island View had their display cases there, they were one of the 3 and they were not even booked into the show!! Nobody would have thought to call them and tell them there was an issue because they never called and said they were even coming to the show. This is a normal practice for them, sometimes they call and say they are coming, sometimes they just show up, sometimes they don't show up at all! We never know what they are going to do. 2 other vendors who had nothing but modern firearms left Friday, 2 vendors came in Saturday had to go back home, 1 went home erroneously because he thought he could not use his modern firearm to display his product. Everyone else stayed and just downsized their display to exclude their modern firearms. Again, this is why we reduced the admission the admission to $8, only $7 with a coupon from the $11 it was supposed to be this past weekend. If you have any comments, questions or suggestions further on this matter, please feel free to contact me privately at roadrunnershows@hotmail.com. I never want people to be unhappy or angry with me or our shows, that is not what I was taught business is about, and I was taught that gun shows are supposed to be FUN! I have a show at the end of the month to plan for and probably will not check back here for comments, please email me. Lori McMann
Old 11-09-2013, 3:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I will go to the mcmann roadrunner show again. I was able to find couple deals that made the show worthwhile in the end.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:41 AM

The lower cost worked out for my buddy that went to just buy ammo. haha