Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-29-2008, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member

Default Give me your opinion: Magnifier Eo vs. Aimpoint

I want to get a x3 magnifier for my Eotech. I know most will probably say get the Eotech because it will match your optic. But I don't mind getting a different brand if it's better. Which one and why?
Old 01-29-2008, 8:31 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Aimpoint is a bit better glass I think. Ive shot both and definitely prefer the aimpoint in looks and clarity.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:47 PM

I've looked through them side by side and I can't tell a difference - EOTech is cheaper too as it comes with a mount. That being said, I like the LaRue flip mount better than the EOTech one so if you have the extra dough get the Aimpoint w/ LaRue mount - he sells them as a package deal on his site.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 PM

I had the opportunity to try out both the Aimpoint and the Eotech magnifiers at the SHOT Show. I was glad that I did because I could not live with the Eotech in its current configuration. Here are my observations:

1. I found the eye relief on the Eotech magnifier way too short. YMMV, but here is what I found. Even mounted almost all the way back on the rail, I had to strain my head unnaturally forward to get the appropriate view through it. It was an unnatural position and my neck was uncomfortable. I literally could feel the back of my neck straining. It was not for me. I asked the Eotech reps at SHOT whether they will be making it with longer eye relief. They said that they had received some requests for that but that there were no production plans at this time. (Heck they just came out with these ones.) I was intending to purchase one of these for my 552 so I was disappointed, but happy that I'd found this out before I bought it, mounted it, and then found that I didn't like it.

Lastly, this could not be resolved by mounting the unit further back on the rail. The samples that I tried were almost all the way back on the rail. Any further and they would have limited access to the charging handle. (It also would have precluded a rear sight.)

2. Other than the eye relief problem, I found the Eotech magnifiers were bright and clear.

3. The eye relief on the Aimpoint magnifier was longer than the Eotech. Picking up several rifles with the Aimpoint magnifier, I found I could see through them comfortably in a normal shooting position and cheek weld. It was a very noticeable difference between the two. It seemed "just right" on the Aimpoint.

4. The Aimpoint magnifier can be used with Eotechs or Aimpoint sights. I have decided to get the Aimpoint magnifier to use with my 552.

5. The Eotech flip to side (FTS) mount drops the magnifier lower on the right side of the receiver than similar mounts for the aimpoint. When talking about it with a couple mount vendors, they referred to the Eotech FTS as the "brass deflector" mount. I don't have any first hand experience with that, but they said that brass deflection was an issue according to someone's review. Maybe someone here who's used it can verify it.

6. I found the LaRue flip to side (they call it "pivot"), detachable mount for the Aimpoint magnifier to be really slick. It is a detachable lever mount, so you can easily remove the magnifier to mount on another rifle or to use as a monocular. This mount also has a pivot feature which swings the magnifier out of the way for short range shooting. I was impressed enough that I bought one on the spot. Here is a link to the mount and below is a picture of it:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=131

If you have the opportunity, I recommend trying them both out while mounted on a rifle. It made a big difference in my decision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1011710%20200.JPG (11.5 KB, 105 views)
Old 02-08-2008, 9:44 PM

The Larue pivot mount is awesome. Totally intuitive. Grab and yank. And rock solid.
Old 02-09-2008, 5:55 PM

Save yourself some money and get one of the Aimpoint copy magnifiers they sale on ebay they are very well made and just as good. They only cost $80. I know most of you think you are getting the best equipment when you pay a high price for it but that is not always so. They are just magnifiers and nothing more. They are very easy and low cost to manufacture. The $400 price tag is a rip off.

Read the reviews on the AP copy magnifiers.

GC
Old 02-11-2008, 12:40 AM

I was also at shot show this year and asked one of the aimpoint reps why the magnifier was so pricey. He pulled a Hillary Clinton and started answering questions that I had not asked. I personally think these magnifiers are WAAAAAAY overpriced. Another consideration besides the copies are the PoBoy specials from LaRue:
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...Po+Boy+Special

do a search on ar15.com for a bunch of reviews
the general consensus is that the eye relief is pretty short but the optics are very high quality - made by hensoldt which is arguably the best on the planet, and are a great value. I've been very close to buying these multiple times but keep thinking/hoping that the perfect solution will be coming out soon...
Old 02-11-2008, 2:25 AM

Glade someone asked this question!

I have an aimpoint and an eotech and I've been sharing an aimpoint 3x between them.

I was just getting ready to order the eotech magnifier, but if the eye relief on it is shorter than the aimpoint there is no way I would be happy with it. I already have the 3x aimpoint back as far as I can (without running out of rails and/or interfering with the charging handle).

Speaking of eye relief... I love ACOG scopes, I just wish they had a bit more eye relief. I usually have them as far back on the rails as possible. I guess it's a good thing that .223 doesn't kick much!!
Old 04-04-2008, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Rules View Post
I had the opportunity to try out both the Aimpoint and the Eotech magnifiers at the SHOT Show. I was glad that I did because I could not live with the Eotech in its current configuration. Here are my observations:

1. I found the eye relief on the Eotech magnifier way too short. YMMV, but here is what I found. Even mounted almost all the way back on the rail, I had to strain my head unnaturally forward to get the appropriate view through it. It was an unnatural position and my neck was uncomfortable. I literally could feel the back of my neck straining. It was not for me. I asked the Eotech reps at SHOT whether they will be making it with longer eye relief. They said that they had received some requests for that but that there were no production plans at this time. (Heck they just came out with these ones.) I was intending to purchase one of these for my 552 so I was disappointed, but happy that I'd found this out before I bought it, mounted it, and then found that I didn't like it.

Lastly, this could not be resolved by mounting the unit further back on the rail. The samples that I tried were almost all the way back on the rail. Any further and they would have limited access to the charging handle. (It also would have precluded a rear sight.)

2. Other than the eye relief problem, I found the Eotech magnifiers were bright and clear.

3. The eye relief on the Aimpoint magnifier was longer than the Eotech. Picking up several rifles with the Aimpoint magnifier, I found I could see through them comfortably in a normal shooting position and cheek weld. It was a very noticeable difference between the two. It seemed "just right" on the Aimpoint.

4. The Aimpoint magnifier can be used with Eotechs or Aimpoint sights. I have decided to get the Aimpoint magnifier to use with my 552.

5. The Eotech flip to side (FTS) mount drops the magnifier lower on the right side of the receiver than similar mounts for the aimpoint. When talking about it with a couple mount vendors, they referred to the Eotech FTS as the "brass deflector" mount. I don't have any first hand experience with that, but they said that brass deflection was an issue according to someone's review. Maybe someone here who's used it can verify it.

6. I found the LaRue flip to side (they call it "pivot"), detachable mount for the Aimpoint magnifier to be really slick. It is a detachable lever mount, so you can easily remove the magnifier to mount on another rifle or to use as a monocular. This mount also has a pivot feature which swings the magnifier out of the way for short range shooting. I was impressed enough that I bought one on the spot. Here is a link to the mount and below is a picture of it:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=131

If you have the opportunity, I recommend trying them both out while mounted on a rifle. It made a big difference in my decision.
the larue mount grabbing the aimpoint 3x lines up with eotech no problem?
Old 04-04-2008, 8:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosparx View Post

Speaking of eye relief... I love ACOG scopes, I just wish they had a bit more eye relief. I usually have them as far back on the rails as possible. I guess it's a good thing that .223 doesn't kick much!!
You picked the wrong ACOGs... the TA11 series are excellent with 2.3" instead of the 1.5" of the 4X optics (TA01 and TA31)
Old 04-06-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
the larue mount grabbing the aimpoint 3x lines up with eotech no problem?
It lines up w/ the EOTech 557 no problem. The 557 has a built-in riser to accommodate magnifiers. The mount is a little high for other rail-mounted EOTech's (same goes for the EOTech magnifier mounts too). I used it behind my rail-mounted EOTech 512 for several months while waiting for my 557 and although you can see a little shadow at the top of view it's still useable since you'll be focused on the reticle.
Old 04-16-2008, 8:44 AM

Larue also has a Low Pivot magnifier mount (not listed on the website, but is available by phone) that works with Eotechs (e.g. 552's) mounted directly on to your rail. Same price.