Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-29-2008, 3:15 PM

Default Nightforce or US Optics

I was thinking about a US Optics SN3 1.8-10 or a NightForce 2.5-10 NXS. I was wondering which one would be a better pick? I need something rugged and clear (lol, doesn't everybody?), and was wondering what are the thoughts and opinions of those on this board? What are y'alls experience with either? The nightforce is an illuminated scope correct?
Old 01-29-2008, 3:22 PM
Calguns Addict

uso if you want all the bells and whistles, most importantly a ffp scope. uso is a custom scope, so you can do anything you want to it with the right amount of cash.

but for that power level, i don't think you really need to spend the big bucks and go with uso.

look at the leupold mark4 3-10x which might fit the bill very well, or a 10x fixed scope from ior.

Last edited by PistolPete75; 01-29-2008 at 3:24 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 3:22 PM

Nightforce 2.5x is better. Excellent glass, illuminated reticle and much lighter weight. Also, you can pick whatever mounts you want.
Old 01-29-2008, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't think you'll find many people that put the NF ahead of the USO in quality. Its close, but not quite to USO level. More importantly, NF does not offer a ffp scope. That may change after the shot show.

What type of shooting do you want to do? Do you know what first focal plane is and why its important? Do you care if its ffp or sfp? If you don't mind a sfp scope and limited adjustment per turn of the knobs, the NF is probably all you'll need.
Old 01-29-2008, 5:00 PM

I am new to scopes and from what I understand- with the FFP the rectical gets larger when the mag. is turned up along with the sight picture. But why is this preffered? I would think having the sight picture grow and the recticle stay the same would alow for a more precice shot with less recticle covering the target.
I have never owned a scope before and am curious why most everyone opts for the FFP when available as an option. Thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 5:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10RoundLimit View Post
I am new to scopes and from what I understand- with the FFP the rectical gets larger when the mag. is turned up along with the sight picture. But why is this preffered? I would think having the sight picture grow and the recticle stay the same would alow for a more precice shot with less recticle covering the target.
I have never owned a scope before and am curious why most everyone opts for the FFP when available as an option. Thanks
With a FFP, assuming you have some type of ranging reticle such as mildots, you can range at every power as the reticle increases with the power level.
Old 01-29-2008, 5:05 PM
Calguns Addict

As to the question NF v USO - there is no comparison - the NF is a good Benz, the USO is a Bentley - how many scopes can you dirve nails with and have them still work as they should?
Old 01-29-2008, 5:34 PM

I was looking more for a FFP and did not realize the NightForce was not FFP, and with what you have said, I am going for broke (quite literaly) and goin for the USO, thanks for the opinions, thought about the Leuopold for awhile, but I already had a few, and wanted something new. The type of shooting is more for 2-600, I was thinking along the lines of using it for the tactial shooting matches at chabot and what not.
Old 01-29-2008, 5:35 PM

Thumbs up U.S.OPTICS

Go with a U.S.OPTICS , I Have a SN4 1X4 POWER Variable on my M1A. It is built like a Tank plus the people at U.S. Optics back their product 100%. They mounted my scope for me and bore sighted it for me free of charge. The optics in their Scopes are top notch, and they come with lifetime warranty. Go with them! Wedge
Old 01-29-2008, 5:42 PM
Calguns Addict

One additional advantage to a FFP scope (I personally feel this is the most important benefit) is the ability to do hold over/under at any magnification. If cost is not an issue, the USO is a great choice.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Old 01-29-2008, 5:43 PM
Calguns Addict

If the cash is there hit the USO. You may also want to look at IOR. They have a 2.5-10x42 FFP illuminated with 1/10 mil clicks. It should be close in quality to the NF but less money.

Last edited by Prc329; 01-29-2008 at 6:26 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 6:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think if you're going USO I'd push you toward the higher magnification version of that scope. You won't be hurt for ranging since it's FFP. You'll have more flexibility if you ever decide to do 1000yds+ (though you can do that with 10X -- more is just nicer).

You could also choose the Sniper's Hide 3-18X scope from IOR. A LOT less money and a fantastic piece of glass (I was amazed).
Old 01-29-2008, 6:07 PM

what is the wait time for ordering a USO? I just want standard mil clicks and a tactical mil reticle?

Last edited by snaggletooth; 01-29-2008 at 6:18 PM.. Reason: made a typo
Old 01-29-2008, 6:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
One additional advantage to a FFP scope (I personally feel this is the most important benefit) is the ability to do hold over/under at any magnification.
This IS the most important benefit. Ranging is done when the rifle is rested, steady and high magnification isn't a problem. Holding off may need to be done at closer ranges, unsupported, etc. High magnification is a problem under those circumstances.

Wait time on USO is now 4-6 weeks. Get the reticle in the same unit of measure as the knobs. If you're going to get a mil reticle, get mil knobs.
Old 01-29-2008, 6:43 PM

Are all variable magnification USO scopes FFP?
Old 01-29-2008, 6:45 PM

Wow, its hard trying to finding someone who has the scopes on the shelf, I guess I'm going to have to go through US Optics themselves. Where did you guys go to get your scopes?
Old 01-29-2008, 6:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklin1297 View Post
Are all variable magnification USO scopes FFP?
As far as I know. They may do something on a custom level if you want a sfp.
Old 01-29-2008, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggletooth View Post
Wow, its hard trying to finding someone who has the scopes on the shelf, I guess I'm going to have to go through US Optics themselves. Where did you guys go to get your scopes?
US Optics directly. There are some vendors out there that can get you a little discount here or there. But if you talk with USO, they'll probably give you the same discount.
Old 01-29-2008, 7:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you're in SoCal you should just go visit them.
Old 01-29-2008, 7:57 PM

Where in socal are they from? I would like to go and visit them just to visit them, I much rather like to handle business on a one on one matter.
Old 01-29-2008, 7:58 PM
Calguns Addict

They're in Brea. If you go to their shop you will spend money. Its just something that happens.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Why USO? YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT. Reticle, knobs, finish, etc. Don't expect the optics to be any better than a top of the line scope from Zeiss, S&B, Nightforce, IOR, etc. That's not the point. The optics are good enough for anyone.

USO scopes are heavy for a reason. The scopes are designed for competition andcombat. You can drop the rifle on the scope and probably not lose zero. If your life or reputation depends on the scope, then pay the man and get what you want. You'll probably keep it for a lifetime.

Now, if you don't really know what you want, then you might want to get a cheaper mildot reticle scope and play with it for a year. Then you'll be confident in what you order from USO. Don't expect USO to replace the reticle for you if you order the wrong one. The way they put them together, they can't take them apart again.

Again, why ffp? Because the ranging, and bullet drop and holdover corrections are fool-proof. Like, stress of being in competition or under fire fool proof. No concern about the mag setting because the reticle is anchored to the far field scene at all mag settings.

HighPowerOptics - Sports optics, scope services, rifle scope installation tool kits for rent

Last edited by bruce_ventura; 01-29-2008 at 10:31 PM..
Old 01-30-2008, 6:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Turners in Chino Hills has a couple in stock, but you might as well go to Brea and buy direct. If you can pay in cash, they'll give you a good discount. FYI, all variable scopes by USO are FFP. They probably could make a SFP, but it will cost quite a bit extra because of the development costs.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Old 02-09-2008, 12:40 AM

hmmnnnn........ interesting, I think the tables have turned.........
Old 02-09-2008, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpratt View Post
We "nightforce " have the FFP now as well as the Zero stop option. The FFP scope will be available for order around June and we expect them to be a highly sought after optic.
Ken Pratt
Nightforce
This is true if the street price stays below $2K. Otherwise, you're into USO territory. Not to mention the new premier ffp optic thats supposed to be in the same price range. Whats the status on some better knobs with more adjustment per rev?
Old 02-11-2008, 7:38 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpratt View Post
would have to dissagree on one of the comments regaurding NF as a good Benz people who are winning in the game and setting records are shooting what? not to mention the german F class team shoots NF. And we do have FFP comming in June. if resolution is a large factor take a NF optic and a lets say one of the competions and put them in a resolution machine. there is no he say she say around facts machines dont know opinion.
Sorry kenpratt, NF might be suffering from the home team advantage here...

So Cal vs GA? I'm not sure we even know where GA is.

HighPowerOptics - Sports optics, scope services, rifle scope installation tool kits for rent
Old 02-19-2008, 1:34 PM

Went to US Optics yesterday with a friend who just recently bought a USO scope second hand and wanted to get it checked out to see if everything was good to go. Met with Arnold at USO, one of the founders, who will be taking care of looking the scope over, who also lead us on a tour of the USO shop. It was an awesome experience and they now have a new USO convert and will have a new customer soon. You will get what you paid for at USO, and the fact that their shop is only 30 minutes from me to get my scope (future) serviced under lifetime warranty is wonderful. Great bunch of guys there.