Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-30-2013, 1:49 PM

Default Nightstand Handgun Safe Options with Children In House

UPDATE: 11/20/2013
Here's a video of my nightstand installation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC1g8uiGq88

UPDATE: 11/14/2013

I ended up purchasing the Stack-On PDS-500 Drawer Safe with Electronic Lock and picked up at Walmart (ship to store for free to also maintain warranty and return it easier if necessary). I have it propped upside down, on the side next to my bed, so that when I put the combo in, the lid will be able to fall down easier with gravity.

The buttons do feel a little "mushy" and it's hard to tell if they pressed correctly or not with the audible beeps turned off. A yellow light blinks every time you push the button down, but with it upside down and on the ground, it's very hard to see.

I'd say, I'm very happy for the $40 I spent on it as a starter safe. I'll know more as time goes on.

UPDATE: 11/5/2013
Looks like the Stack-On PDS-500 was the winner for $36.80 (Used, Like New).

Just mount it vertical, upside down, and the door should plop open with gravity. The batteries won't be an issue since I ultimately plan on opening it daily so I'll be able to tell the battery life that way.

And according to their website: "Approved by the California Department of Justice as meeting their standards for firearm safety."
http://www.stack-on.com/categories/s...-2/products/56

It's my first starter gun and the price is so minimal, even if I don't use it for a gun, I'm sure I could think of other uses as my 3 babies grow and I need to secure additional items away from their curious hands.

Thanks everyone for your links on other manufacturer's and options. It really gave me multiple things to think about. Perhaps in the future, I'll find it prudent to invest in something more expensive.

ORIGINAL MESSAGE
I have small children in the house, and I want to have a handgun CONTAINER within arms reach of my bedside that can also be opened easily should I need to retrieve it quickly. I'm guessing biometric, or a quick punch code combo. Theft is not the concern. Just keeping my kids from touching the gun and sending me to jail.

I'm assuming I'll also want to make sure it's DOJ CA compliant:
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/gunsafe

I was looking at the Gunvault SpeedVault SV500 as an option, but I don't know if it's DOJ CA compliant [EDIT: It IS DOJ Compliant: http://www.gunvault.com/sv500.html. Any other popular options out there?

I know there's the option of taking it out of one of my other gun safes and putting it bedside, but that'll also require me to remember 100% to put it back every morning, which I don't want to rely on.

This one seems to be the cheapest option at only $39.97!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...jeffersocom-20

THANKS COSMOS 7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yr6ATdaDQ8#t=178

Last edited by JeffersonKim; 11-20-2013 at 10:07 AM..
Old 10-30-2013, 2:48 PM

I bought that speed vault and I love it. It will keep the kids out, but a large screw driver or fat foot / stomp your either going to get in it or rip the thing off the wall. Its definitely not a "safe" (if someone were to break in.) but thats not what its intended for.
Old 10-30-2013, 3:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersonKim View Post
I have small children in the house, and I want to have a handgun safe within arms reach of my bedside that can also be opened easily should I need to retrieve it quickly. I'm guessing biometric, or a quick punch code combo.

I was looking at the Gunvault SpeedVault SV500 as an option, but I don't think it's DOJ CA compliant. Any other popular options out there?

I know there's the option of taking it out of one of my other gun safes and putting it bedside, but that'll also require me to remember 100% to put it back every morning, which I don't want to rely on.
check other brands/models. For example, this one

Stack-On Personal Drawer Safe Biometric Solid Steel Pry Resistant Door $120 on Amazon
Old 10-30-2013, 3:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branden967 View Post
I bought that speed vault and I love it. It will keep the kids out, but a large screw driver or fat foot / stomp your either going to get in it or rip the thing off the wall. Its definitely not a "safe" (if someone were to break in.) but thats not what its intended for.
If police raid your house and find out you keep your loaded gun in this vault, you may be charged.
Old 10-30-2013, 3:24 PM

How well do you want it protected, and how much are you willing to spend? Just your young children, or something more substantial. Any kid with internet access can probably find a method to open most of the brands mentioned in this thread. Plus anything with a tubular lock (everything mentioned) is pretty straightforward to pick.

I would recommend investing in something with a Simplex lock like a Fort Knox or similar. Gives you the convenience of code and will be a very solid unit.
Old 10-30-2013, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderr View Post
If police raid your house and find out you keep your loaded gun in this vault, you may be charged.
BS. It meets the definition of locked container. Please cite some evidence.
Old 10-30-2013, 3:26 PM
Veteran Member

As far as I understand, OP is looking for a nightstand safe option, not a storage safe.
Old 10-30-2013, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
BS. It meets the definition of locked container. Please cite some evidence.
Before you start spitting in someone's face, you'd better educate yourself

Having a gun in a locked container is only good when you transport the handgun.

Last edited by riderr; 10-30-2013 at 3:32 PM..
Old 10-30-2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Before you start spitting in someone's face, you'd better educate yourself

Having a gun just a locked container is only good when you transport the firearm.
Wasn't spitting in your face, and I believe you are the one in need of education. Any locked container is good (legally) for both residential storage and travel provided that a reasonable person would believe that it limits access (ie not a cardboard box).

Even if you don't believe me, what part of the Speedvault do you believe doesn't meet the linked definition? It's even listed as DOJ approved on Gunvault's site so I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make.
Old 10-30-2013, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Quote:
Didn't know that! Charged with what? I know plenty of people who keep loaded firearms in their homes outside of any type of "safe". What would they get in trouble for if the police come knocking?

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 10-30-2013, 3:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Hopefully someone can post that safe lecture at that one CON.

I'll see if I can find it. Great info.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 10-30-2013, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wasn't spitting in your face, and I believe you are the one in need of education. Any locked container is good (legally) for both residential storage and travel provided that a reasonable person would believe that it limits access (ie not a cardboard box).
Did you check the URL above? The requirement for the gun safe are clearly stated. It's not just a locked box

Quote:
Even if you don't believe me, what part of the Speedvault do you believe doesn't meet the linked definition? It's even listed as DOJ approved on Gunvault's site so I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make.
yes, SV500 is CA DOJ approved. I relied on OP research without checking it by myself. My bad. I apologize.
Old 10-30-2013, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Did you check the URL above? The requirement for the gun safe are clearly stated. It's not just a locked box
Those requirements only exist for defining what CA considers to be a gun safe, and even then only really in the context of the requirements the safe-storage affidavit.

Quote:
Does California have a law regarding the storage of firearms?

Yes. If you keep any loaded firearm within any premise which is under your custody or control and know or reasonably should know that a child (person under 18 years of age) is likely to gain access to the firearm, you may be guilty of a felony if a child gains access to that firearm and thereby causes death or injury to any person including themselves unless the firearm was in a secure locked container or locked with a locking device that rendered it inoperable.

(Pen. Code, 25100, 25200.)
Read the penal code. Any locked storage container suitable for travel is equally suitable in the eyes of the law for residential storage. Doesn't necessarily make it good storage, and certainly doesn't mean you can use it in the purchase affidavit, but it will be legal.
Old 10-30-2013, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Hopefully someone can post that safe lecture at that one CON.

I'll see if I can find it. Great info.
Old 10-30-2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Those requirements only exist for defining what CA considers to be a gun safe, and even then only really in the context of the requirements the safe-storage affidavit.

Read the penal code. Any locked storage container suitable for travel is equally suitable in the eyes of the law for residential storage. Doesn't necessarily make it good storage, and certainly doesn't mean you can use it in the purchase affidavit, but it will be legal.
Correct. I do not use this container as a gun safe its just its night time holding spot while Im in bed.
Old 10-30-2013, 4:17 PM

Sorry for not being clearer. I just need a container so that my kids don't get to it, but I can get to it quick while I'm in bed.

Old 10-30-2013, 4:30 PM

I always keep a loaded firearm on me 24/7 at home. My other guns are unloaded and locked up. When its bedtime I put the gun next to me loaded. Its also about education, I have 4 boys ages 10, 8 and 6 year old twins and all know about gun safety and are so use to seeing me with a gun they ignore it. Its like if I was holding a cell phone. I know kids will be curious but I tried to curb that by letting them hold it and examine it closely (unloaded of course) to get that curiosity out of their heads. Good luck though on your search for something safe for your home. God bless

Proud Christian
Proud Father
Proud Libertarian
Proud NRA Member
Azusa Pacific Pride!! Go Cougars!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfearl View Post
Copious amounts of hookers and blow will cure what ails you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
I can't find anything funny to say about how Dicks suck...
Old 10-30-2013, 4:58 PM

I picked up a V-Line Top Drawer safe and I love it:

http://www.deansafe.com/vin.html

I originally ordered a Barska biometric safe from Amazon. When it arrived.. it just felt cheap. And after putting in the batteries it immediately malfunctioned and sounded the "open" alarm after it was completely closed.

These V-line safes are built like tanks and made here in the States. They have a mechanical code that seems very reliable. It's worked flawlessly every time that I've used it. No keys, no batteries. The steel is thick and heavy and it can be bolted down.

I'm able to keep a Glock 23 and S&W 686+ 3" in there comfortably with one extra glock mag and two speedloaders for the S&W.
Old 10-30-2013, 5:19 PM
Tactical Mall Ninja
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Firerescuebatt07, kids are not immune from sleepwalking or suffering from other types of sleep disorders that can override the training you've given to them. Please rethink your HD strategy.
Old 10-30-2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksmart View Post
Firerescuebatt07, kids are not immune from sleepwalking or suffering from other types of sleep disorders that can override the training you've given to them. Please rethink your HD strategy.
Thank you for the advice, theres no getting into my room without me knowing. Good thing my kids do not sleep walk!

Proud Christian
Proud Father
Proud Libertarian
Proud NRA Member
Azusa Pacific Pride!! Go Cougars!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfearl View Post
Copious amounts of hookers and blow will cure what ails you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
I can't find anything funny to say about how Dicks suck...
Old 10-30-2013, 6:05 PM

I have the fas1 safe.

http://fas1safe.com/
Old 10-30-2013, 7:21 PM
Banned

I still havent seen anyone open with a "trick" an svb500 from Gunvault.
See, the hinge and "lock" are not in the front, they located in the rear.
Again its not a safe. But it keeps the kids out.
A thief with enough time and proper equipment and will open any safe.
Old 10-30-2013, 7:59 PM

mini vault bolted to the wall or night stand or dresser. Guns either belong on my hip, in my hand or in my safe but not on the night stand....
Old 10-30-2013, 8:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i'd most likely go with a Fort Knox offering.
Old 10-31-2013, 6:35 AM

Quote:
I have small children in the house, and I want to have a handgun CONTAINER within arms reach of my bedside that can also be opened easily should I need to retrieve it quickly. I'm guessing biometric, or a quick punch code combo. Theft is not the concern. Just keeping my kids from touching the gun and sending me to jail.

I was looking at the Gunvault SpeedVault SV500 as an option, but I don't know if it's DOJ CA compliant. Any other popular options out there?

THANKS COSMOS 7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yr6ATdaDQ8#t=178
Whats wrong with the cheaper amazon product is the key pad. When you look at the more expencive products all the locks have the key buttons in a line. Not shaped like a key pad. this is so in the dark you can place your hand on the lock and feel each button. No moving around, just index the lock under your fingers and work the combo in order. Gun vault even shapes theirs like fingers. As a way to keep curious little hands off, these work just fine. I bought one of these for our house. its big enough to put my wifes purse in or a hand gun if we have guests in our home. I got the Bio Metric lock but found one that also had a key backup. Its not a burglery safe, but a convineant place to keep little hands out. DR
Old 10-31-2013, 7:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Forget about the DOJ compliancy. It's not going to make a difference. For now, I'd hold off on the biometric items until they've proven their reliability over a longer time and more positive experiences from end users.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Old 10-31-2013, 7:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I like GunVault products (SV500, GV1000, and GV500) because they are well made and easy to open in the dark. If you have a good place to mount it to then the SV500 is a great choice.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 10-31-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Old 10-31-2013, 7:47 AM

I too have a GunVault (GV1000) in my bedside nightstand.
Old 10-31-2013, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Just keeping my kids from touching the gun and sending me to jail.
You're worried about the wrong thing.

From the Office of the Attorney General:
Quote:
Does California have a law regarding the storage of firearms?
Yes. If you keep any loaded firearm within any premise which is under your custody or control and know or reasonably should know that a child (person under 18 years of age) is likely to gain access to the firearm, you may be guilty of a felony if a child gains access to that firearm and thereby causes death or injury to any person including themselves unless the firearm was in a secure locked container or locked with a locking device that rendered it inoperable.
Note that you can keep guns loaded or not wherever you want and until a child causes *death or injury* with it, it's not a crime. You don't need to be worried about committing a crime, you need to be worried about your kids accidentally killing themselves. As long as that doesn't happen, then there's no issue of whether or not you committed a crime. This is why having a DOJ approved safe doesn't matter. Either you're confident that your kids can't/won't hurt themselves with your guns and then the type of safe you're using doesn't matter or you're not confident that your kids won't hurt themselves with your guns, in which case, I can't imagine you wouldn't want to change your storage strategy regardless of whether or not you have a DOJ approved container.

I have the V-line Top Draw and it seems to work well, though it isn't as fast to open as one of the biometric ones. I may buy one of those to try out as well, but I'm not sure how confident I am in biometric technology working correctly just yet.
Old 10-31-2013, 9:57 AM

How does $7.98 + tax sound.

Master Lock Password Plus Set-Your-Own Combination Padlock

Just get a Glock case (if you don't already have one) and put this lock over the handle.

The two (2) toggles per tumbler are set at 90deg. to each other.

Since you can "re-key" this lock, set it so that all the toggles form an inverted "V" opposite the shackle. Then move them alternating Left-skip-right-skip-left One (1) place each to scramble the combination.

To open, just "fast-ball" fork your fingers on both sides of the shackle and on top of the high-point toggles... and then pull. The pressure on the toggles will automatically rotate them back to the "V" pattern and the lock falls off in your hand.

When scrambled, it looks like a nightmare to the kids, but it is fast and easy to unlock, even in the dark.

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 10-31-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandimal View Post

Just get a Glock case (if you don't already have one) and put this lock over the handle.

Since you can "re-key" this lock, set it so that all the toggles form an inverted "V" opposite the shackle. Then move them alternating Left-skip-right-skip-left One (1) place each to scramble the combination.

To open, just "fast-ball" fork your fingers on both sides of the shackle and on top of the high-point toggles... and then pull. The pressure on the toggles will automatically rotate them back to the "V" pattern and the lock falls off in your hand.

When scrambled, it looks like a nightmare to the kids, but it is fast and easy to unlock, even in the dark.

GR

I like that idea! DR
Old 10-31-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Charged with what?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:

GR
Interesting. I'll take a look.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:

GR
Do you know if the option you're listing would fulfill the DOJ CA requirements for safe and secure storage?

I'm assuming the case qualifies (since that's what comes with the gun!), but I'm not sure what they would say about the padlock, if anything at all.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:32 PM
Calguns Addict

I use this Homak Safe bolted inside of a nightstand drawer for my HD revolver:

http://www.amazon.com/HOMAK-HS100366...productDetails

I have had it for a few years with no complaints at all. Uses 4 AA size batteries.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnights View Post
I picked up a V-Line Top Drawer safe and I love it:

http://www.deansafe.com/vin.html

I originally ordered a Barska biometric safe from Amazon. When it arrived.. it just felt cheap. And after putting in the batteries it immediately malfunctioned and sounded the "open" alarm after it was completely closed.

These V-line safes are built like tanks and made here in the States. They have a mechanical code that seems very reliable. It's worked flawlessly every time that I've used it. No keys, no batteries. The steel is thick and heavy and it can be bolted down.

I'm able to keep a Glock 23 and S&W 686+ 3" in there comfortably with one extra glock mag and two speedloaders for the S&W.
Those V-Lines are looking a lot more enticing due to not requiring batteries like the cheaper options.

At $171.30 on Amazon for the V-Line Top Draw Security Case vs. $139.95 for the Gunvault SpeedVault SV500, it may be worth paying a little extra to have a mechanical setup, rather than batteries.

A lot of the reviewers on Amazon look at between 6 - 12 months for the life of a 9 volt battery. I don't know if I want to test the unit every night before going to bed.

Not including tax, the price difference is $31.35.

That means at an average price of $2.15 per 9 volt battery with a lifespan averaging about 9 months, it'll take me approximately 11 Years for the 9 Volt battery purchases to equal the price difference between the mechanical safe. And this is assuming 9 volt battery prices never go up.

I anticipate I'll use the mechanical safe for more than 10 years, so in which case, I guess it makes more sense for me to invest in the mechanical safe option for $31.35 more.
Old 10-31-2013, 2:52 PM
Banned

Well I have 2 SVB500 (biometric speedvaults). Have had them for 2 years now.
No problems whatsoever. I have changed their batteries once. At the yearly mark. I should have waited longer, but i don't really know how long they willl last. I open one of the SVB500 daily. (My EDC). The other once a week.
It has been the best gunvault investment to date.
It does not have a motor. Works with gravity. That's why the battery lasts a long time on these things. I highly recommend them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-f0Sf3cDvk
Old 10-31-2013, 3:01 PM

How about you don't get your house raided and your golden?
Old 10-31-2013, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Sorry for not being clearer. I just need a container so that my kids don't get to it, but I can get to it quick while I'm in bed.

I have that one. Had it for almost a year now. It's okay. A bit too small as it turned out. If I could do it again, I'd get something a little bigger.
Old 10-31-2013, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerescuebatt07 View Post
I always keep a loaded firearm on me 24/7 at home. My other guns are unloaded and locked up. When its bedtime I put the gun next to me loaded. Its also about education, I have 4 boys ages 10, 8 and 6 year old twins and all know about gun safety and are so use to seeing me with a gun they ignore it. Its like if I was holding a cell phone. I know kids will be curious but I tried to curb that by letting them hold it and examine it closely (unloaded of course) to get that curiosity out of their heads. Good luck though on your search for something safe for your home. God bless
I have two boys here on weekends and I felt just as confident as you do. I also remember being that little boy. Being taught wrong from right. Learning gun safety and how to treat a firearm.
I also remember showing my friends when my parents were not home. I remember knowing where each gun was and witch rounds went to what gun. I was knew right from wrong but I was still a kid. The fear of getting beat from my father, in trouble or hurt or even death didn't change anything.

This is why I am changing my mind about where and how I store them. Kids will always be kids. Good luck.

Sent from iPhone.