Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 10-26-2013, 5:29 PM

Default LC .308 Shell Casings

As I was at my local range today firing off some of my reloads, the RSO ( I'm one of them too) approached me and offered 10lbs. Of one fired LC .308 casings that were once fired from an M60 by our U.S. Coast Guard for $30. Proceeds go to help the youth shooting program at my gun club.

So, as a newby since April on reloading did I do good on this 10 lb. transaction? I was told that when I load up these to use a low charge. Thicker brass. By the way, there is more of this available. I only saw one other 10 lb. bag but, there may be even more for all I know.

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 10-26-2013, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0321jarhead View Post
As I was at my local range today firing off some of my reloads, the RSO ( I'm one of them too) approached me and offered 10lbs. Of one fired LC .308 casings that were once fired from an M60 by our U.S. Coast Guard for $30. Proceeds go to help the youth shooting program at my gun club.

So, as a newby since April on reloading did I do good on this 10 lb. transaction? I was told that when I load up these to use a low charge. Thicker brass. By the way, there is more of this available. I only saw one other 10 lb. bag but, there may be even more for all I know.
Are you trolling us? I just paid like 3 times that for less LC brass :P It's good brass for my 308, but you will have to swage the primer pockets.
Old 10-26-2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
Are you trolling us? I just paid like 3 times that for less LC brass :P It's good brass for my 308, but you will have to swage the primer pockets.
No, seriously. $30 I paid. Sounds like I did well with your reaction. I honestly have NO idea what this normally goes for.

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 10-26-2013, 10:12 PM

You got a good deal... Might be tight on the resizing though... Imperial sizing wax will be your friend... A small base sizing die might be needed... Ck brass with a case guage or your chamber after sizing to be sure... Ck your books for loading mil brass as different than comm. brass... Good luck !!! ..Cheers..
Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Calguns Addict

You may have to toss some of the brass as the machine gun fired stuuf can be hard to resize. A few may not be able to be resized.
Do not let that worry or stop you. Just want you to know ahead of time.
I had a great deall of 223 and 308 machine gun fired brass and that is what happened to me. I got mine free so I was not concerned about tossing a few.

I also used small base RCBS dies. I used the lee hammer and punch deprimer tool and a Dillon super swager for the primer pockets.

You will need to back off the powder charge 5-10% for the thicker brass.
Hornady one shot lube was a bust for me. I had/have great results with the RCBS Pump Spray case-slick lube. Imperial wax also is very good.

It is good brass.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:58 PM

I just did two shells today. De-primed using a Lee full length sizing die. I lubed the cases with some Lee lube. Have some Hornady spay but, thought it would be best to use the Lee lube for those two. I sure felt the resistance while re-sizing...WOW. Trimmed them too. I'll have to get some Imperial. The two cases came out good though.

As for the 5-10%, I was just reading about that in my recipe book, thanks.

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 10-28-2013, 6:58 PM
Veteran Member

They wont last long (maybe 2-3 firings) in a gas gun due to initial MG stretching.

But will be ok in a bolt gun depending on how you size.

Still a good deal.
Old 11-02-2013, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmintl View Post
They wont last long (maybe 2-3 firings) in a gas gun due to initial MG stretching.

But will be ok in a bolt gun depending on how you size.

Still a good deal.
Interesting to know, thanks. I just measured and the difference and before resizing the numbers are only of .002(+) I have noticed.

The primer pocket I cleaned out on only two of the shells. Re-primed those two with Win. Lrg. R/P by using the Lee Basic Hand Primer with not a problem.

I would like to use some of these in my Savage 10FPLE and M1A. So, for as to semi-auto I will need to buy a WILSON CASE LENGTH GAGE. Especially for my M1A.

Hope I'm on the right track on this project.

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan