Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:32 AM

Default 17 HMR rifle

Alright guys, quite the newb here when it comes to .17 rifles. I never owned one and know little first hand about them. I've been thinking about getting one in the real near future (tax return). I'm interested to hear what is the best bang for the buck. I'm thinking about going for the Marlin 917, unless someone convinces me otherwise. I appreciate your time and comments.

All I have right now are pistols and shotty's so i'm open to just about any rifle suggestions. I'll eventually get a .17HMR, .22LR, and .30-30 rifle with this years tax returns.
Old 01-27-2008, 6:38 AM

This link's about a 22, but I believe Savage has a similar model in 17. Good luck.

Jest tylko ziemia. Jedna ziemia i pory roku nad nią są.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-27-2008, 6:51 AM

The Marlins and Savages in .17HMR shoot about the same according to the reviews, but the Savage has the Accutrigger. This is a better trigger than on the Marlins, and the pull weight is adjustable, down to 2 1/2 lbs I believe. I have a Savage 93R17 Classic and it shoots really well. You'll want to get a decent scope if you're planning on shooting at a distance. I usually shoot a groundhog or squirrel target at 100yds and try to shoot the eyes out. For that kind of shooting a 14-20 power scope is needed (at least for my old eyes).
Old 01-27-2008, 8:46 AM
Banned

I have a Marlin 917V and really enjoy shooting it. Last summer I went to a friend's ranch that was infested with ground squirrels. The 917V took out so many I lost count. At 100 yds or less, it's awesome. Close to a .223 in terminal performance (pink mist). I did make shots at 200 and even 300. My longest kill was a lasered 327 yds. The squirrel just fell over, but did die. If there is any wind at all, hits are very difficult beyond 100-150 yds. One positive factor with the 17 HMR is it's low noise and ricochet level. One local landowner who owns a winery lets me shoot squirrels on his property because I use a .17, and he feels it is much quieter and safer than a .223 or other centerfire. The Vmax is very frangible and there is little chance of ricochet. I don't believe the little 17 would carry much more than 500 yards with sufficient energy to do any damage.

My 917V is set up with a BSA Sweet-17. Along with a range finder, I simply get a good 100 yd zero, lase the target, dial in range, and hit probability is extremely high. All of the 17 gr V-max shoots the same in my gun, no matter the brand. (I've heard that 17HMR is all made by CCI, regardless of label) The 17Gr TNT shoots very close to V-max, and the 20 gr shoots a little high in my rifle. I use V-max most of the time.

Considering the great accuracy and performance of the HMR, I think the $12/50 ammo cost is a bargain. If you shop around, you can get the price down to $10/50. Cost is roughly the same as the 22 Mag, but the 17 V-max bullet is much more effective.

I'm very happy with the 17 HMR and recommend it. In fact, I just bought a Remington 597 yesterday (a deal I could not refuse), and I have a Ruger Super-Single-Six on order.

If you want an extremely accurate out of the box set-up with great performance, go with the 17 HMR.

Last edited by 11Z50; 01-27-2008 at 9:08 AM..
Old 01-27-2008, 9:37 AM

I totally agree with 11Z50. I have the Marlin 917V as well and it is prob. the most accurate gun in my safe. I shot 7 rnds through 1 ragged hole the other day at about 100 yds. Never shot anything that good in my life . Ammo can be pricey but for what you get it is well worth it... I heard people were having probs with the mag feeding on the Marlins, too loose or something, my mag fits a little sloppy but has never affected my shooting and I have had no loading problems.

Calhunter380
Old 01-27-2008, 9:59 AM

I'll let you know in a couple weeks. I jusr DROS'd a Ruger 96/17 lever action with BSA sweet 17 scope to match. The guy I got it from says it's a tack driver at 100 yds on the small black dot sticker that comes with the shoot-n-see...

Last edited by Nuuze; 01-27-2008 at 11:57 AM..
Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 AM

I really, really like my CZ military trainer...
Old 01-27-2008, 12:57 PM

The Marlin and Savage are both decent rifles but they don't come close to the quality of the CZ. I would suggest that you at least take a look at the CZ prior to making your decision.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/34002

Last edited by Viking23; 01-27-2008 at 1:01 PM.. Reason: add link
Old 01-27-2008, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldude View Post
The Marlins and Savages in .17HMR shoot about the same according to the reviews, but the Savage has the Accutrigger. This is a better trigger than on the Marlins, and the pull weight is adjustable, down to 2 1/2 lbs I believe. I have a Savage 93R17 Classic and it shoots really well. You'll want to get a decent scope if you're planning on shooting at a distance. I usually shoot a groundhog or squirrel target at 100yds and try to shoot the eyes out. For that kind of shooting a 14-20 power scope is needed (at least for my old eyes).

+1. I bought my Marlin 917 before the Savage w/ the accutrigger was introduced. I wish I would've waited but the Rifle Basix trigger I installed made not having the accutrigger a non-issue The marlin rocks. It's my favorite rabbit death implement.

Edit: To answer the OPs original question, if I was to do it all over again, I'd get the Savage with the Accutrigger, just because it comes w/ a good trigger from the beginning. Everything else comes after......

Last edited by scootergmc; 01-27-2008 at 1:09 PM..
Old 01-27-2008, 1:37 PM

You really should look at the CZ's. The 452 Varmint in .17 HMR is a beauty.
Old 01-27-2008, 3:18 PM

I appreciate everyones answers. Like I said, I was leaning toward the Marlin initially. I think I'll have to look at the Savage with the accutrigger and also take a look at the CZ. Again, I appreciate everyones time and info.

Jeff
Old 01-27-2008, 4:00 PM

I have a Marlin 917VSF with a Tundra thumbhole stock and the Rifle Basix trigger at 1 lb 6 oz.

It's stupid-accurate and has killed quite a few ground squirrels.

The CZ is nicer IMO overall when it comes to finish and bolt "feel" but it is no more accurate than the Marlin. I've tried CZ, Marlin, and Savage .17's and they were all extremely accurate. In fact, I have yet to fire a .17 that shoots poorly.
Old 01-27-2008, 5:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Both the Marlin and Savage are fantastic rifles. Another option is to convert a Ruger 10/22, thus having access to a huge selection of aftermarket parts to build your rifle to any spec you wish.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Old 01-27-2008, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
Both the Marlin and Savage are fantastic rifles. Another option is to convert a Ruger 10/22, thus having access to a huge selection of aftermarket parts to build your rifle to any spec you wish.
True, you can convert a 10/22 Magnum to .17HMR (or a standard 10/22 to .17 Mach 2.) There have been reports of the bolts failing in the 10/22 magnums and I think they were pulled off the market for a redesign.

I believe Ruger actually announced a 10/17 back in 2004... but I don't think it ever came to market.

Last edited by Kiba; 01-27-2008 at 6:07 PM..
Old 01-27-2008, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
thanks for the insight scootergmc. is that a predator stock? how much does that run? where do u buy those from?
Old 01-27-2008, 6:35 PM

Looks like a Tundra stock. I have the exact stock (color and all) on my Marlin as well. Very comfortable.

$125 here...

http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart...&productId=113

Just an FYI... appears that Revival Industries (maker of those stocks) is out of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Lima View Post
thanks for the insight scootergmc. is that a predator stock? how much does that run? where do u buy those from?

Last edited by Kiba; 01-27-2008 at 8:14 PM..
Old 01-27-2008, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
Looks like a Tundra stock. I have the exact stock (color and all) on my Marlin as well. Very comfortable.

$125 here...

Just an FYI... appears that Revival Industries (maker of those stocks) is out of business.

Thanks Kiba. You guys are awesome. I'm amazed at the knowledge you guys have.
Old 01-27-2008, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

I was just thumbing through the latest issue of Gun Tests magazine, and they tested 3 .17 Mach 2 rifles. Here's what they thought:

NEF Sportster - rated A, inexpensive, a ton of fun, very accurate, very simple and well balanced (single shot break open).

Marlin 917M2 - rated A-, big gun feel in a small caliber bolt action, accurate, nice fit and finish.

Savage Mark II - rated F, didn't like the plasticky feel, the gritty, creepy trigger, fast-heating barrel (the other two were heavy barrels), worst groups, really wished for the Accutrigger, heavy barrel FV version.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-27-2008, 9:31 PM
Deplorable by choice.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Close enough to see it but not close enough to smell it.
Smile

I jumped on the 17hmr early. It's a lot of fun.

I won a Savage 93 as an NRA door-prize a few years back and it's the most accurate weapon I own. You can literally shoot the staples out of the target at 100 yards. Boringly accurate.......

I had a 10/22Magnum for a while, until a friend offered me $600 for it. The prices have gone a little wacky but it's a sellers market. They stopped making them due to the aforementioned bolt problems. The cool thing is that Ruger will offer you a replacement rifle should you send it in for work.

I also have a Marlin 917, a Rough Rider SA , and a S&W 647 in 17hmr. The damn things breed like rabbits.

Oh yeah, still trying to get my Automag II to run with the High Standard 17hmr barrel.

For a country founded by the average man rising up against an oppressive government, we sure have an obsession about not giving up our guns.

“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
Old 01-27-2008, 9:46 PM
Janitors assistant

I have both the savage and Marlin I prefer the marlin. That said I also have an Excel arms Accelerator rifle, it is semi auto and pretty reliable. only 2 failure to feeds in 200 rounds so far. it is an accurate little rifle that will spend your money quick.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Vendor/Retailer

your Excel .17HMR shot fine? Hum... you must be lucky to pick a working 17HMR semi auto rifle from Excel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I have both the savage and Marlin I prefer the marlin. That said I also have an Excel arms Accelerator rifle, it is semi auto and pretty reliable. only 2 failure to feeds in 200 rounds so far. it is an accurate little rifle that will spend your money quick.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Janitors assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82A1CAL View Post
your Excel .17HMR shot fine? Hum... you must be lucky to pick a working 17HMR semi auto rifle from Excel.
I am finding that the problems they had were many and corrections have been addressed. I was assured they had been fixed before I bought this rifle. It is like saying all Beretta 92's are just a round away from a broken frame. There were some in the beginning but you dont hear of them now. I have my rifle and that of a friends to base my opinion on.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Vendor/Retailer

My 22 Mag shoot fine but we had 5 that were returned because they didn't shoot! All 5 had bolt replacement and went back multiple times. I wonder what they did because they were blaming on the ammo. We tried 17gr and 20gr, they still won't shoot. It's a great gun if it shoots but ours didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I am finding that the problems they had were many and corrections have been addressed. I was assured they had been fixed before I bought this rifle. It is like saying all Beretta 92's are just a round away from a broken frame. There were some in the beginning but you dont hear of them now. I have my rifle and that of a friends to base my opinion on.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Janitors assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82A1CAL View Post
My 22 Mag shoot fine but we had 5 that were returned because they didn't shoot! All 5 had bolt replacement and went back multiple times. I wonder what they did because they were blaming on the ammo. We tried 17gr and 20gr, they still won't shoot. It's a great gun if it shoots but ours didn't.
I understand they were "fitting" guns and now there is more of an assembly line vision of interchangeability. It could be total BS, but when they say they make them when ordered they arent kidding. You have to wait for these guns still! I think they started outsourcing some parts to meet demand. I also see a difference in the angle of the feedramps from previous accelerator pistols I have compared first hand.
Old 01-28-2008, 7:07 AM

Default Black Lightning

Hmmm.. the Excel Arms rifle looks exactly like the Black Lightning offered by Mitchell's Mausers. Anybody know if they are the same?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Lightning.jpg (31.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-28-2008, 8:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post

$125 here...

Affirmative. Revival is done.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:07 AM

Well, of course, you could always step up to a Volquartsen .17 HMR; if you had a lifetime to wait for it and make payments! Actually, I do own one of these, and it took 8 months to get it, but it is amazing!!!

"People like you are why people like me own guns."

Mr. Heston had it right