Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

View Poll Results: What would u choose?
iPhone 5s 64gb 17 41.46%
Galaxy Note3 w/ GearWatch 20 48.78%
Other phone 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2013, 3:23 PM

Default Iphone5s 64gb vs samsung galaxy note3 with gear watch

Wassup my fellow Calgunners!

My EVO 3D is crapping out on me, and torn between the 2! I'm not partial on any, and I own macbook's, IPads, latitude's, and XT2. So I'm deciding wether to go iphone5s or the Note3 with gear watch. My provider is Sprint and I'm torn between the 2. So I'm looking for what u picked and why.

Thanks a lot!
Fred
Old 10-14-2013, 4:29 PM

I have no opinion on the Samsung phone, other than I know people with it and they like it a lot.

iOS vs Android really comes down to whether you want to fiddle or you just want to push the button and have it work. I don't care anymore to fiddle. I don't have the time or inclination for it anymore. I would have loved android phones even 10 years ago. I just want my stuff to do what it needs to do an so I'm iOS.

As for the 5s. It's a really nice phone. Everything on in runs fast. The fingerprint sensor works and is really convenient. Siri with the iOS update, actually works really well now and is useful. If you use your phone for photos and video, the 5s camera is pretty phenomenal. It takes great photos and pretty nice HD video. The improvements for low light photos and flash usage are pretty significant over the 4s or the 5.

Overall, coupled with the iOS update, the phone is really nice.

That being said, considering the 5s vs the Note3 is a bit weird because of the difference in screen sizes. They really are intended for two different users. I'm not sure, if you really want a screen as big as the Note 3 has, how you'd be happy with an iphone.

I'm more of a phone in my pocket at all times kind of guy when I'm running doing things, so I like having a smaller phone. Having something as big as the Note 3, would be distracting for me, running around doing day to day stuff. (Though the screen size is amazingly nice, just not for a phone for me. I rather have something that size or larger when I am at home, using a tablet).

I think one final consideration is which app-verse you are more invested in. If you have lots of iOS apps purchased, you may want to go iphone. If you have lots of droid apps purchased, you may want to go samsung.
Old 10-14-2013, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknownot View Post
I have no opinion on the Samsung phone, other than I know people with it and they like it a lot.

iOS vs Android really comes down to whether you want to fiddle or you just want to push the button and have it work. I don't care anymore to fiddle. I don't have the time or inclination for it anymore. I would have loved android phones even 10 years ago. I just want my stuff to do what it needs to do an so I'm iOS.

As for the 5s. It's a really nice phone. Everything on in runs fast. The fingerprint sensor works and is really convenient. Siri with the iOS update, actually works really well now and is useful. If you use your phone for photos and video, the 5s camera is pretty phenomenal. It takes great photos and pretty nice HD video. The improvements for low light photos and flash usage are pretty significant over the 4s or the 5.

Overall, coupled with the iOS update, the phone is really nice.

That being said, considering the 5s vs the Note3 is a bit weird because of the difference in screen sizes. They really are intended for two different users. I'm not sure, if you really want a screen as big as the Note 3 has, how you'd be happy with an iphone.

I'm more of a phone in my pocket at all times kind of guy when I'm running doing things, so I like having a smaller phone. Having something as big as the Note 3, would be distracting for me, running around doing day to day stuff. (Though the screen size is amazingly nice, just not for a phone for me. I rather have something that size or larger when I am at home, using a tablet).

I think one final consideration is which app-verse you are more invested in. If you have lots of iOS apps purchased, you may want to go iphone. If you have lots of droid apps purchased, you may want to go samsung.

There is not a single thing I could add to this to make it more closely match what I think.

(I have a 32GB 5S and love it. I've had Android devices before, and while I didn't hate them, I didn't find the "it just works" factor to be spectacular.)

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 10-14-2013, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffred View Post
Wassup my fellow Calgunners!

My EVO 3D is crapping out on me, and torn between the 2! I'm not partial on any, and I own macbook's, IPads, latitude's, and XT2. So I'm deciding wether to go iphone5s or the Note3 with gear watch. My provider is Sprint and I'm torn between the 2. So I'm looking for what u picked and why.

Thanks a lot!
Fred
Fred, if you need the large screen you already got your answer....

If you can live with a 4" screen you will probably want to go apple. I just got a LG Optimus Pro 4g with 5.5" screen and love it...

Had an iPhone4s and this was after an old Motorola Razor...so happy to be back in the android camp.

Dave
Old 10-15-2013, 4:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Once I had a physical keyboard, I can't go back to "just a touch-screen K/B".
Full screen display AND keyboard function with cursor keys can't be beat, and it is easier to edit if you botch a txt, especially case (which is why most iPhone users don't case-correct?)... and scroll to next field, or prior. It is pretty inefficient, annoying, and illogical to have "back" in different places in different apps on iPhones, but with iOS7 you are getting Android's touch-interface anyway. MY biggest annoyance with iPhones is that you cannot use the landscape keyboard in the WiFi encryption key settings, (at least in <iOS7?) but some people love 'em...

Has Sprint service gotten any better as far as data stopping/creeping for no reason (requiring Airplane Mode to be enabled and then disabled to reinitialize the pipe)?

Last edited by the86d; 10-15-2013 at 7:15 AM..
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Once I had a physical keyboard, I can't go back to "just a touch-screen K/B".
You get used to a virtual keyboard eventually. At least I have.

As for your comments on editing and such, the editing functions have become more useful over time in iOS. It's not perfect, but it's no longer annoying.

And truthfully, now that Siri is working so well, I've been using that more than anything on longer messages or emails. The dictation works pretty well and usually only requires a few corrections. It's much faster than using the keyboard.

(I still use the keyboard for short messages or email responses).
Old 10-15-2013, 3:57 PM

I would recommend to wait for the Nexus 5, if you can... Unless you need a large screen AND a stylus.

I have Samsung phones for the last few years and the thing that tick me off is that there is always something broken with the feature that I really like.

With the Note 3, the Slow-Mo video is horribly pixelated. Look at some examples in YouTube and compare it to the iPhone 5S. Not to mention the lack of updates, bloated software, etc.

I am not advocating iPhones, but if you're going to get an Android phone, just get it from the company who developed Android... Google!
Old 10-15-2013, 7:33 PM

Okay 5 for Apple and 5 for android. Wth? Maybe I'll just flip a coin
Old 10-15-2013, 8:30 PM

I still don't see how you are picking between the note and the iPhone since they are so apples and oranges. Do you need the screen size? Do you want the ease of use of iOS? What is your main consideration?
Old 10-15-2013, 8:39 PM

Go with the Iphone. It's smooth
Old 10-16-2013, 9:55 AM

Really depends on what you need:

Android
- Awesome Google stuff integration, from Calendar, Mail, Office, Maps, etc.
- Change the looks of your phone (Widgets, skins, etc.)

iPhone
- Awesome Apple integration - iCal, Mail, etc
- Great warranty - anything broken and still under warranty, just go to Apple store.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:25 AM

I was anticipating getting the 5s... I've had iPhones since they've been in use, I get the new generation every time it comes out. This time i went with The Galaxy S4.

I don't know about the Note but i can speak for the operating platform as i assume they will be somewhat if not completely similar..

I only spoke Apple so in the beginning it was a bit confusing (took me about 3 days to get comfortable with android ) but there is absolutely no need to fiddle with anything once you have it set up the way you like it.

The Kies program from Samsung makes it very simple to sync with all of your apple stuff pretty seamlessly... Pics, music, podcasts, contacts, calendar... you name it. Apart from all of the frills like hand gestures for answering calls, opening programs, you can open multiple windows and view / work simultaneously like on a lap or desk top....(that's what sold me) There is absolutely nothing buggy about this latest android platform (that i've come across) I haven't found the need to root it (although i might for a free hotspot) I went with the S4 because the Note would be too big but if i could easily carry the Note I would. The big screen is awesome, you will find that the iPads will get less and less use. It's just so convenient to have a Lg screen on your phone.

Side note- Everything else i have is Mac, my Ipads (Gen 1 and Gen 4) and my MacBook Pro 13" I love these and cant ever see myself going back to a PC or a different tablet but as far as the phone is concerned, I'm sticking with my Samsung.... No regrets here.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

My wife just kicked her iphone 4S to the curb and went with Note3!

- Awesome screen
- Fast
- Good battery life

Her iphone definitely didn't offer the vaunted "It just works experience" and was far more flaky than my Android. If I hadn't recently bought an HTC One I'd also go for the Note3.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmartin View Post
I only spoke Apple so in the beginning it was a bit confusing (took me about 3 days to get comfortable with android ) but there is absolutely no need to fiddle with anything once you have it set up the way you like it.

The Kies program from Samsung makes it very simple to sync with all of your apple stuff pretty seamlessly... Pics, music, podcasts, contacts, calendar... you name it. Apart from all of the frills like hand gestures for answering calls, opening programs, you can open multiple windows and view / work simultaneously like on a lap or desk top....(that's what sold me) There is absolutely nothing buggy about this latest android platform (that i've come across) I haven't found the need to root it (although i might for a free hotspot)
I know plenty of people that have gone back and forth between droid or iOS at one point or another.

I will say this about iOS vs Droid, especially for the people that who have flipped and/or flipped back one way or the other.

Pretty much to a T, the people on iOS (irrespective of the iphone they are using) complain about being locked into iOS and not being able to do x, y, or z, but are generally happy with the way that iOS works in general in day to day usage.

People on droid, generally are happy they can customize but after a period of using the phone (which ever one it is) complain about feature x, y, or z not working correctly or that the phone ends up being buggy, laggy, or working strange after awhile.

Your mileage may vary. I hope you are just as happy in a month or a couple of months with your Samsung. I've seen plenty of people switch over to droid, quite happy at first and then not so happy after awhile.

(Same with people coming from droid who are happy at first and then railing against iOS because they can't change the one thing they want to do a specific way on the iphone).

It's only the kool-ade drinkers, that are only iOS or only Droid and have never flipped one way or the other, that always seem to be happy 100% of the time.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:22 AM

Forgot to mention one thing that made me move to Android: Google voice integration.

It's great to have one number that rings everywhere and don't have to deal with number porting.

I REALLY like the slow motion camera on the iPhone 5S though.
Old 10-16-2013, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
Really depends on what you need:

Android
- Awesome Google stuff integration, from Calendar, Mail, Office, Maps, etc.
- Change the looks of your phone (Widgets, skins, etc.)

iPhone
- Awesome Apple integration - iCal, Mail, etc
- Great warranty - anything broken and still under warranty, just go to Apple store.
All android phones have great warranties as well. If you get the handset protection plan, the warranty is extended beyond the manufacture's original warranty and all repairs are covered. I'm currently still using an android phone from 09' and they still cover me when I have any issues. I am planning on upgrading to the Note 3 soon though.

If you ever lose or damage your phone, you can pay the deductible and they will send you another phone. I think apple recently started doing that too, but I'm not too sure.
Old 10-16-2013, 3:53 PM

Love my LG Optimus Pro 4G...great battery life, smooth and fast as hell and if you get a 2yr. contract it can be had for under $100.00. The 5.5" screen has one of the highest ppi count in the industry. It comes with 32gb and can accept a 64gb MicroSD memory card.

Dave
Old 10-16-2013, 4:01 PM

Oh, I am not saying that Android phones have crappier warranty. My bad..

It's the warranty service and process that Android manufacturer is a bit lacking.. IF you need that service.

I had Samsung phone that had a bad radio (no SIM detected error, even though one is in). The phone had no water damage nor physical damage. I went to Samsung and they said I need to contact AT&T to "initiate the process". Went to AT&T store and they said I need to contact Samsung.

When I had my iPhone 4, the power button crapped out (was a common issue - Google it) and all I need to do just go to Apple store and they give me a new one, no question asked.

Regardless, I currently OWN an Android phone and loves em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneeasy View Post
All android phones have great warranties as well. If you get the handset protection plan, the warranty is extended beyond the manufacture's original warranty and all repairs are covered. I'm currently still using an android phone from 09' and they still cover me when I have any issues. I am planning on upgrading to the Note 3 soon though.

If you ever lose or damage your phone, you can pay the deductible and they will send you another phone. I think apple recently started doing that too, but I'm not too sure.
Old 10-16-2013, 4:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why would you waste your money on Galaxy Gear?
Old 10-16-2013, 9:53 PM

I got the note 3 and the galaxy watch this week. Love them both. You won't be disappointed. Only the Apple fanboys or the cheap asses will hate on the watch.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Oh, I am not saying that Android phones have crappier warranty. My bad..

It's the warranty service and process that Android manufacturer is a bit lacking.. IF you need that service.

I had Samsung phone that had a bad radio (no SIM detected error, even though one is in). The phone had no water damage nor physical damage. I went to Samsung and they said I need to contact AT&T to "initiate the process". Went to AT&T store and they said I need to contact Samsung.

When I had my iPhone 4, the power button crapped out (was a common issue - Google it) and all I need to do just go to Apple store and they give me a new one, no question asked.

Regardless, I currently OWN an Android phone and loves em!
Gotcha, I usually just go through the carrier, but you're right, apple stores everywhere so once you make your appointment, you got your phone fixed.

What android phone do you have now? I'm still rockin' the HTC G2, I love the physical keyboard
Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattspd View Post
I got the note 3 and the galaxy watch this week. Love them both. You won't be disappointed. Only the Apple fanboys or the cheap asses will hate on the watch.
Haha, the watch does seem nice, I don't hate on the watch, just the price.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Haha, the watch does seem nice, I don't hate on the watch, just the price.
The price isn't that bad when you think about what it does. I spent over $300 on a luminox that the band broke in 3 months and it was just a watch. The Galaxy gear does way more than I thought it could do. It's in the early stages of development and I can't wait to see what the 3rd party developers come up with in the near future. Plus answering your phone that's in another room with just the watch is badass.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:08 PM

I was a long time iPhone user that switched to a note 2 last year. It was a great phone for me. So great that I just got the note 3 and the watch to go with it this week. Unless u are wearing some skinny jeans, carrying the note around in your pocket is a non issue. I do all day. The watch is epic. I am just starting to get good at using it and it is seamless integration for sure. You won't go wrong with a note3!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknownot View Post
I know plenty of people that have gone back and forth between droid or iOS at one point or another.

I will say this about iOS vs Droid, especially for the people that who have flipped and/or flipped back one way or the other.

Pretty much to a T, the people on iOS (irrespective of the iphone they are using) complain about being locked into iOS and not being able to do x, y, or z, but are generally happy with the way that iOS works in general in day to day usage.

People on droid, generally are happy they can customize but after a period of using the phone (which ever one it is) complain about feature x, y, or z not working correctly or that the phone ends up being buggy, laggy, or working strange after awhile.

Your mileage may vary. I hope you are just as happy in a month or a couple of months with your Samsung. I've seen plenty of people switch over to droid, quite happy at first and then not so happy after awhile.

(Same with people coming from droid who are happy at first and then railing against iOS because they can't change the one thing they want to do a specific way on the iphone).

It's only the kool-ade drinkers, that are only iOS or only Droid and have never flipped one way or the other, that always seem to be happy 100% of the time.
I hear ya, Yeah, i hope in a couple of months i'm happy with it too... I will say that so far so good... I really considered myself a hardcore apple fan but I guess i wanted to try something different.... The only thing that hasn't been seamless is the transferring of my playlists from my iTunes to the Samsung. My iTunes library transferred just fine. Other than that, it's been stellar.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Gotcha, I usually just go through the carrier, but you're right, apple stores everywhere so once you make your appointment, you got your phone fixed.

What android phone do you have now? I'm still rockin' the HTC G2, I love the physical keyboard
I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. It's great and fast, though I truly miss the Galaxy Note because of the screen size.

I am thinking of getting the Note 3,but can't afford $700 right now. I always buy my phone off contract since I don't want to lose my grandfathered data plan.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattspd View Post
Did you get it from T-Mobile?
Old 10-18-2013, 7:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I am thinking of getting the Note 3,but can't afford $700 right now. I always buy my phone off contract since I don't want to lose my grandfathered data plan.
I feel the same way, I am considering opening a new line just to keep my unlimited data plan... I used 34.8 gigs last month and am on track to do about the same thing this month...
Old 10-18-2013, 9:26 PM

I was an Apple iphone user for the last 5 years. I went with the Note3 10 days ago and am completely happy. Yes the size took a little getting used to but I don't miss my iphone at all. Be careful until you get used to the size, you'll drop it.
The N3 is very customizable, the screen is amazing and the 13mp camera is nice as well.
My wife likes the N3 as well but went with the iphone 5 due to size. She's petite, me, not so much.
I was only able to find one mfgr. that produced a leather belt pouch (Moonshine Leather), it works just fine.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-18-2013, 9:34 PM

This should answer your question"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpH4hrV38J0
Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilson99 View Post
This should answer your question"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpH4hrV38J0
yup, hilarious.

lets get real a moment shall we? apple products are always a year or two behind the times. there is nothing current with their tech besides a new 64bit proc that wont be utilized....until the next iphone is released.

the note 3 is by far the best device currently on the market. pick it up and play with it a bit, its absolutely perfect as far as i can tell. the watch is cool but obviously not needed.
Old 10-27-2013, 4:41 PM
Calguns Addict

If your phone needs to integrate with an active lifestyle then the smaller iPhone is ideal. They even make everything proof cases for it so it can ride, run, fall, swim or whatever with you.

If you're uhh... husky then you already have pant sizes big enough to carry the Note 3.
Old 10-27-2013, 5:05 PM

I think it comes down to screen size and how many google services you use.

IPhones were the best for a long time, but android/Samsung have caught up. Windows phones are still dog ****.

Last edited by Catch; 11-06-2013 at 12:38 AM..