Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-06-2013, 4:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Sunnyvale: No on Measure C - Vote Nov. 5

Attention Sunnyvale Residents

On November 5, please Vote NO on Measure C

The measures and candidates up for the vote are listed here.

Measure C proposes to ban regular capacity magazines (an unlawful taking), force ammunition purchasers to register with the City, further victimize people whose guns have been lost and stolen and mandate draconian storage requirements for guns in a person's own home.

It's essentially a gun ban wish list which is already costing the City of Sunnyvale $46,000 and promises to become more expensive if passed due to guaranteed lawsuits.

Measure C is opposed by:

The National Rifle Association
Santa Clara Republican Party of Silicon Valley
Sunnyvale Citizens for a Better Community
Golden Gate 2nd Amendment Council

If you haven't yet registered to vote, please do so. Click here for the California Secretary of State office.

Vote. Get your friends to vote. Get your neighbors to vote. Stop this here and now.

Even if you don't live in Sunnyvale, start sending out NO on C messages to everyone you can. Email, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, everywhere. We want to reach as many people in Sunnyvale as is possible.

DON'T LIMIT YOURSELF TO JUST GUN OWNERS.

Get the word out. This is a bad measure. See:

http://sc4abc.com

for arguments.

More information to follow.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by jdberger; 10-06-2013 at 5:25 PM..
Old 10-06-2013, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

Even if you don't live in Sunnyvale, start sending out NO on C messages to everyone you can. Email, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, everywhere. We want to reach as many people in Sunnyvale as is possible.

DON'T LIMIT YOURSELF TO JUST GUN OWNERS.

Get the word out. This is a bad measure. See:

http://sc4abc.com

for arguments.

Proud to belong to the NRA Members' Council of Santa Clara County

Disclaimer: All opinions are entirely my own.
Old 10-06-2013, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.facebook.com/YesonCSunnyvale2013

This above is a link provided by POLICESTATE in an existing related thread.

Please feel free to assist him in correcting the folks over at "Yes on C" with facts, statistics and links to real life news stories about "good guys" with guns.

Be sure to put the "Like" feature of Facebook to good use as well while assisting POLICESTATE and other associates.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

=8-)
Old 10-07-2013, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Bump.

We really need everyone emailing or calling anyone you know in Sunnyvale to get the word out. Don't limit yourself to just your owning buddies! That won't get it done.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Be sure to visit the following link that is used by the "Yes on C" campaign as an attempt at bringing legitimacy and support to their "arguments":

http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/c...e-measures-b-c

Feel free to add your comments to those who have already taken issue with the Mercury News stated position on Sunnyvale Measure C.

And of course, pass the link on to friends, neighbors, and associates - especially those who live in Sunnyvale.

=8-)
Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Hello Everyone!

Please continue to contribute to the online "No on Measure C" effort.

UPDATE:

Yes, the "Sunnyvale - Yes on C" Facebook page now blocks comments from pro-2A posters. Yes they have also hidden or deleted previous comments. They have even gone a step further and done the same for the individual event pages.

See this for what it is - the "party of tolerance" showing their true colors of intolerance. Consider it a moral victory. It does mean something!

Consider this:

There's not much they can do to control the likes of the following without engendering some public backlash, distaste or cynicism:

http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/c...e-measures-b-c

Thanks to those who have already contributed.

If in the next few days or weeks YOU come across news articles, editorials or extensive blog entries related to Sunnyvale's Measure C with commenting enabled - please be sure to post the links right here in this thread.

The more of us that know - the better we can educate others about the particulars of Sunnyvale's Measure C.

=8-)
Old 10-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.mercurynews.com/sunnyvale...res?source=rss

=8-)
Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 PM

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but how will this measure not violate the State's preemption laws?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

óJeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Old 10-08-2013, 12:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but how will this measure not violate the State's preemption laws?
Excellent question. It will.

It's one of the objections to the Measure.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 10-08-2013, 1:56 AM

Talking That is a strong enough argument right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
It's essentially a gun ban wish list which is already costing the City of Sunnyvale $46,000 and promises to become more expensive if passed due to guaranteed lawsuits.
Maybe the Council got confused with this Sunnyvale? (Trailer Park Boys)
Old 10-08-2013, 3:18 AM

Never expected this from Sunnyvale of all places.
Old 10-08-2013, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Those of you who do encounter individuals who reside in Sunnyvale who are willing to lend an ear and their consideration, don't hesitate to do the following:

1. Remind them that they need to be registered to vote in the County of Santa Clara.

2. Inform them that the Registrar of Voters for the County of Santa Clara has a website that provides two online tools:

http://www.sccgov.org/sites/rov/Page...of-Voters.aspx

A. A link to register to vote online.

B. A link to mobile apps for iPads, iPhones and Android clients that provide:

- assigned polling place.
- voter guide
- sample ballot
- voter registration status
- vote-by-mail ballot tracking to ensure it is counted
- district and elected officials search

Chances are the folks you encounter are mobile equipped and will appreciate the convenience and will be more likely to follow through per YOUR persuasive effort if you provide them the direct link necessary on a small slip of paper right there on the spot of your encounter.

Thanks for listening and helping out!

=8-)
Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Please, folks. Reach out to friends and neighbors in Sunnyvale.

NO on Measure C

(and NO on B, also - how amazingly underhanded to levy taxes on people who don't have the ability to vote against them. I recall we fought a war on that principle.)

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 10-09-2013, 11:42 AM

I was out walking the other day and saw a "Yes on C" thing on someone's lawn.
I wonder if they'd appreciate an additional banner "No guns here, we won't do anything to resist you taking what you want"
Old 10-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomBytes View Post
I was out walking the other day and saw a "Yes on C" thing on someone's lawn.
I wonder if they'd appreciate an additional banner "No guns here, we won't do anything to resist you taking what you want"
No they would not. And if you place a sign on someone else's property, you are trespassing, and you are messing with their free speech rights. The dumbest thing a campaign can do is either to screw with opponents signs, or place their own signs in an illegal fashion. Not only does it cause legal trouble and causes YOUR campaign having to waste effort better spent on campaigning, it also reflects badly on the cause you ought to support.

If someone in Sunnyvale wants to display a "Yes on C" sign, that's their right. Good for them. Your job, if you are opposed to measure C, is to make sure there are 10x as many "No on C" signs.
Old 10-09-2013, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
No they would not. And if you place a sign on someone else's property, you are trespassing, and you are messing with their free speech rights. The dumbest thing a campaign can do is either to screw with opponents signs, or place their own signs in an illegal fashion. Not only does it cause legal trouble and causes YOUR campaign having to waste effort better spent on campaigning, it also reflects badly on the cause you ought to support.

If someone in Sunnyvale wants to display a "Yes on C" sign, that's their right. Good for them. Your job, if you are opposed to measure C, is to make sure there are 10x as many "No on C" signs.
Chainsaw:

The previous poster stated:

The previous poster DID NOT state:

I'm sure they'll appreciate it when I place next to it an additional banner "No guns here, we won't do anything to resist you taking what you want"

Save the axe for the proposed and actionable actions - not the hypothetical actions please.

=8-)
Old 10-09-2013, 6:32 PM

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere
Old 10-09-2013, 7:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
Save the axe for the proposed and actionable actions - not the hypothetical actions please.
Sorry, maybe I was a bit too strong.

But as a campaigner I've had to waste lots of time on dealing with yard signs, and their abuse. It's totally non-productive. And annoying as well, because it turns a political campaign into a tit-for-tat that gets tempers flaring. I rather prefer campaigns where on the weekend after the election you go out for drinks and dinner with the people from the opposite side (winner pays), because after all you are still neighbors in the same town, and you will have to work together for the next 30 years.

I see where issues become emotional. And that causes perfectly reasonable people to come up with ideas that backfire. I've had to stop volunteers in my campaign from doing unprofessional things that involved buckets of red paint.

My rather too harsh post was intended to make sure that randomBytes wouldn't go do something stupid. Where by "stupid" I mean: Something that would cause you and bulgron (and whoever else is running the No on C campaign) a head- or heart-ache later, or that would make voters ask "what kind of jackass did that".

Apologies if it was insulting.
Old 10-10-2013, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Bump.

I know everyone is focused on Sacramento right now, but anything you can do to reach out to Sunnyvale voters, whether they are gun owners or not, and tell them to vote NO on C is very important.

We're pretty sure that this kind of thing is coming to all the cities in the Bay Area, so mutual support at the local level is critical.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:01 AM

Unfortunately all the people I know, including my wife's family, in Sunnyvale can't be bothered with civic duties and don't care unless laws affect them... And they don't like icky guns anyways..

I fully expect this to pass.

Old 10-10-2013, 2:43 PM

Relate, I sent an email to all the current candidates for Sunnyvale City Council, and so far only Glenn Hendricks, Candidate for Seat 2, has responded:

Quote:
I am against Measure C.
I don't think this is appropriate for the City level. There are already enough regulations from the Federal and State level.
Glenn
Based on this, I will be supporting Glenn in eliminating the current members who supported placing this measure on the ballot.

Edit: Just got a response from Andy Frazer, Candidate for Seat 1:
Quote:
I oppose Measure C. I think local gun control laws have proven to be ineffective. Worse, they distract from the real issue: the inability of our elected officials to address the mental health problems that are at the root of the gun violence in this country.
Thanks
Andy Frazer
Based on this, I will also be supporting Andy in eliminating the current members who supported placing this measure on the ballot.

Last edited by dachan; 10-10-2013 at 6:29 PM..
Old 10-10-2013, 4:22 PM

That is good to know.
Old 10-10-2013, 4:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletboy View Post
Unfortunately all the people I know, including my wife's family, in Sunnyvale can't be bothered with civic duties and don't care unless laws affect them... And they don't like icky guns anyways..

Does "can't be bothered with civic duties" mean "can't be bothered to vote at all"? Because if so, I'm okay with that in this case.

Old 10-10-2013, 5:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletboy View Post

Perhaps the following might be easier for them to act on:

If they don't have the time or desire to examine the candidates or issues - then simply ask if it's too much to ask to take their ballot and vote "NO" on all the measures and be done with it.

Not ideal...but at least they can take the easy way out and do everyone else the favor of not adding to the "damage" caused by any and all poorly thought out policy ideas in Sunnyvale.

Can you sir at least ask them to consider that?

=8-)
Old 10-10-2013, 6:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
Does "can't be bothered with civic duties" mean "can't be bothered to vote at all"? Because if so, I'm okay with that in this case.
Dangerous. Non-voters help turn a slight majority position into an overwhelming majority position.

Imagine what would happen if only the true believers on the pro-gun and anti-gun side voted in Sunnyvale, with 90% of the population (those that don't care very much either way) choosing to not vote on this measure. Then Measure C would probably be approved by an overwhelming majority, which would be bad for you guys.

From a voter breakdown point of view, I think the likely way to defeat Measure C (if it is possible at all) requires three things. First, inform the large majority in the middle, which doesn't care very strongly either way, and try to bias them slightly towards the pro-gun position of "no". If they go 55% against measure C, you have a chance. Second, make sure the turnout among the true pro-gun believers is very close to 100%. Third, do all that without attracting the attention of the "yes on C" campaign, because they can play the same game in the middle too, and we don't want to wake up the sleeping giant. With it being only 4 weeks away from the election (meaning people are beginning to cast their ballots by mail or via early voting already), the next two weeks will be crucial to get the voters in the middle energized and informed.

Question for the campaign: Have you started pulling vote return information? What's the turnout? If you have categorized voters, is the turnout good among likely supporters?
Old 10-10-2013, 8:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Question for the campaign: Have you started pulling vote return information? What's the turnout? If you have categorized voters, is the turnout good among likely supporters?
LOL!

You say that like we have the faintest idea what we're actually doing.

If this exercise has taught us anything, it's that we desperately need a political consultant operating in the Bay Area who can explain how to do all this stuff.

Old 10-10-2013, 9:15 PM
Banned

It's too late to build a campaign organization for this election (and it was too late a month ago too). I agree with the lesson you've learned. The time to build infrastructure will be after this election.

Maybe some organization (NRA? CGF? CRPA?) could have manuals, consultants, databases, expertise, rolodexes ready to go. We'll probably see more and more local gun issues, which need to be fought one at a time.
Old 10-11-2013, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

UPDATE:

Governor Brown's actions today have resulted in the "YES on C" campaign taking on the characteristic of "bumper pool".

1. AB 180 has been vetoed. This means preemption is still the State standard.

The Anti's "bumper pool" ball just bounced back at 'em.

2. AB 299 has been vetoed. This means that in the State's view, a policy that can result in a victim of theft to be instead treated as a criminal IS NOT GOOD PUBLIC POLICY.

The Anti's other "bumper pool ball" has bounced right back at 'em.

What does this mean overall in the larger picture?

The Anti's are on record via public meetings and in written communications as assuring the residents of Sunnyvale and the City of Sunnyvale that they do not have to concern themselves with lawsuits.

The likelihood of lawsuits occurring AND those lawsuits succeeding should Measure C pass have now just increased - and the Anti's are likely going to be forced by curious Sunnyvale residents to "clarify" their previous statements in light of the actions taken by the Governor today.

Too add "what ifs" to the "legal fodder", the ammunition sale record keeping requirement of Measure C becomes even more potent in light of the above:

1. PRIVATE INFORMATION will have to be stored on site in a secure manner.

2. That PRIVATE INFORMATION will be stolen at some point in the future - at no fault of the record keeper.

3. Criminals WILL use that PRIVATE INFORMATION to target homes inside and outside the city of Sunnyvale in order to acquire firearms and ammunition illegally.

4. Because the City of Sunnyvale will own the ordinance AND there is no automatic grant of immunity from the State, there will be a lawsuit against the City of Sunnyvale.

5. The likelihood of such suit proceeding is high.

6. The number of litigants will number in the thousands due to the nature of ammunition sales.

7. The damages will be extensive if the lawsuit proceeds...

To all helping out with the "NO on Measure C" effort - please be certain to "arm" yourself with the above information - and use it effectively to your persuasive best when meeting and engaging residents of Sunnyvale.

Once again, your help is greatly appreciated!

=8-)

Last edited by mrrabbit; 10-11-2013 at 2:03 PM..
Old 10-12-2013, 8:42 PM
Veteran Member

Something Else To Examine:

Sunnyvale council seat elections.

The following is one site to start with - "seats" are ordered at top of page.

http://sarette.com/measure-c/

Sample ballot pamphlets have already gone out as well - assuming they contain candidate statements - grab one of those if you have a chance.

Perhaps a rule of thumb when examining candidates to start with when lacking particulars is that candidates that have their feet on the ground, elbow grease on the paper, etc., are more likely to be those who are Pro-2A or at least not Anti-2A.

- Engineering and Construction background
- Independent Business background (not dependent on government contracts)
- Technical Work (not just policy) in Building / Planning Dept. of Sunnyvale

If you have time to look into the particulars of Measure C, I don't think it is too much to ask that you take a quick look at the candidates for council seats in Sunnyvale's November 5 election.

=8-)
Old 10-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Sunnyvale City Manager's Page/BLOG:

http://sunnyvale.ca.gov/Newsroom/Cit...er-7-2013.aspx

Go down to the "Finance" section...

Sale Tax revenue of approximately 30 million is 200,000+ short of forecast.

This means:

1. Sunnyvale will have to be very careful about minimizing any further future "hits" against an already tight budget.

2. "Spend on Services, Not on Lawsuits!" has a nice campaign slogan type of ring to it.

Signs anyone?

=8-)
Old 10-14-2013, 8:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, we won some and lost some in the Governor's office. All the more reason to redouble efforts in Sunnyvale. Please reach out to friends and family and encourage them to vote NO on Measure C.

It's an off-year election - so voter turnout is the key to victory. If you haven't, please register - and please remember to vote on Nov. 5!

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 10-14-2013, 8:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It's too late to build a campaign organization for this election (and it was too late a month ago too). I agree with the lesson you've learned. The time to build infrastructure will be after this election.

Maybe some organization (NRA? CGF? CRPA?) could have manuals, consultants, databases, expertise, rolodexes ready to go. We'll probably see more and more local gun issues, which need to be fought one at a time.
Unfortunately, it's outside CGF's bailiwick. CRPA has the resources, but not the organization. Not sure about NRA - though they're helping.

It would be neat to have a PAC. A boy can dream, you know.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 10-15-2013, 9:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Candidate Forum Tonight

There is a candidate forum tonight at City Hall Council chambers. This is the big one and I'm told there should be a good crowd there. Turns out, it is possible for us to hand out campaign information in the waiting area outside of chambers.

Volunteers are needed to hand out "NO on C" flyers.

6:30 - 7:00 to hand out flyers.

7:00 - 8:00 if you want to listen to what the candidates have to say.

456 W. Olive Ave in Sunnyvale.

Respond to this post if you can help out.

NB: Folks, our ground game sucks. We need volunteers. We need an hour of your time. There's no way that we're going to win this thing if the entire weight of the opposition is on the shoulders of just a couple people. Even if you don't live in Sunnyvale - if you're close by - you can volunteer for an hour or two.

If you want to win - first you need to show up.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 10-15-2013, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post

It would be neat to have a PAC. A boy can dream, you know.
There's talk of building one with a specific focus on Santa Clara county. Raising the money isn't the hard part. Finding people who are actually willing to carry a pro-gun message to the general public is the hard part.

I figure that we need 100 people minimum fired up enough to walk precincts, man phone banks, stuff envelops, etc, in order to be competitive. We need at least 100 dedicated people in the county just because for any given day/weekend/etc, some number of people will be busy doing other stuff and so won't be able to help when an activity is planned.

We also need at least one good accountant who can help us with FPPC filing requirements, and we need a few people with campaign experience to give us solid advice.

Like I said, there's just been some talk so far. No actual forward movement on the idea has happened.

But if you'd like to help, PM me here on this site. WARNING: don't expect a response until after Nov 5. I'm kind of buried these days.

Old 10-15-2013, 3:15 PM
Veteran Member

REMINDER!!!

Sunnyvale Candidates Forum - Tonight

7:00pm, City Council Chambers

456 Olive Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA

=8-)
Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Tonight's candidate forum:

Communications
Revenues
Motel Tax
Mixed Used Development
Downtown Development
High Density Housing
Civility on City Council
Parks
Sale of City Owned Land
Pension Reform
Campaign Donations from PACs
Campaign Donations from Developers
Traffic
Affordable Housing
Mobile Home Parks
Land Use
Plans
LinkedIn
Utility Tax
Who Lives in Sunnyvale
Community
Public Safety
Water
n++;

Without a ballot pamphlet or flyer in your hand, you wouldn't have known that an elephant had been relegated to the corner of the room.

=8-(
Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No on everything.

Tap Merrick is an anti gunner and sides with Tony Spitalari.

-- John Wayne as Davy Crockett in The Alamo
Old 10-17-2013, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Tap Merrick is an anti gunner and sides with Tony Spitalari.
Totally agree on this point.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Bump.

Come on people, we aren't done yet. Call and email everyone you know in Sunnyvale and tell them to vote NO on C.

We've also got a facebook page here. Stop on by and give us a like:

https://www.facebook.com/NoonmeasureCnov5

Old 10-19-2013, 1:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't use Facebook but here ya go....

Attachment 273839

-- John Wayne as Davy Crockett in The Alamo

Last edited by wjc; 04-06-2014 at 7:16 PM..