Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 10-04-2013, 4:07 PM

Default 80% glock

been looking into 80% 1911 frames and it seems that there's plenty of headache that comes along with these. So i decided to look into glocks and first found a home gunsmithing forum where a member built an airsoft frame into a g22. there was some trial and error and a few problems he didn't resolve.

well, i managed to find a different site selling steel parts kits to build a glock frame. It looks like it involves some welding, grinding and drilling but looks doable. Im not sure on the forums policy on posting links, but google "armus kits" and the site will come up. google "iron glock" and a forum comes up with step by step instructions to complete the build. Thought i'd share and try and get some feedback cause i'm really considering pulling the trigger on the project.

tl;dr version 80% glock, good idea or bad idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p54.jpg (96.8 KB, 223 views)
Old 10-06-2013, 5:24 AM

that's a wrong kit (Marigold1) it has full steel grip that doesn't really need an airsoft frame, but it's more time to build, but no specific airsoft frame is required.

The new build works on this airsfot frame, it's anywhere from $13 to $16, available in many airsoft places, in US.

See, this frame will accept Glock magazine without any modifications, one of those is an actual Glock frame

So the kit is this:

the kit + airsoft:

and the rails you are making are like these:

Old 10-06-2013, 5:24 AM

Here are two "Glocks" side by side, one built on MG3 + ZM17 and another MG1 + HFC

you see they are practically identical:

but "Glock" built on MG1 has the steel grip/mag well, the one build on MG3 does not:

MG3 is just an easier build, but it is dependent on specific airsoft pistol.
Old 10-06-2013, 7:00 AM

Tagged.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:00 PM

Somebody please offer build parties for these!
Old 10-06-2013, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member

Boris you sir are a god
Old 10-07-2013, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Boris_ View Post
that's a wrong kit (Marigold1) it has full steel grip that doesn't really need an airsoft frame, but it's more time to build, but no specific airsoft frame is required.

The new build works on this airsfot frame, it's anywhere from $13 to $16, available in many airsoft places, in US.
Right on, thanks for chiming in boris. i was a little unclear about the differences between the kits. that said, now i'm totally sold on this build. so to build from an airsoft frame i would need that zm17, the MG3 kit and the jig, correct? do you use anything else to help secure it to the frame?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boromokot View Post
Right on, thanks for chiming in boris. i was a little unclear about the differences between the kits. that said, now i'm totally sold on this build. so to build from an airsoft frame i would need that zm17, the MG3 kit and the jig, correct? do you use anything else to help secure it to the frame?
the jig is helps a lot to keep rails parallel. Before jig I "welded on slide" with mixed results and know people did similar things.

Since the steel "rail" is one solid piece, it's fairly well secured by two pins (locking bar pin, at least one) and the pin holding the trigger of housing.

I scroured surface for better bonding. Glue acting as bonding and bedding agent at same times. I've used an elastic "liquid nails" but something more harder would probably work better to fill the voids. Once voids are filled, the rail has large area of contact with frame, to distribute shock. The glue is best not be brittle, but slightly flexible, similar to nylon.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Sweet tagged#
Old 10-08-2013, 11:59 AM

I look forward to a range report on this.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:12 PM

FYI before you guys post anything else on this thread topic PLEASE note that doing what was IN THEROY was done above, not actually done to make a real pistol, would be considered the illegal manufacturing of a firearm.

So it is a good thing that what was posted above was just a discussion in theory of how it could be done, but since it would be illegal it was not done to actually produce a firearm, just exercising first ammendment rights to talk about things.

Because everyone on CalGuns knows that the BATF&E as well as the CA DOJ routinely read the website.

Everyone on CalGuns also knows that before anything is allowed to be a "80%" frame/receiver it MUST be submitted to BATF&E for approval to be classified as "80%" unless you are the one that made it from a block of metal/plastic on your own for yourself.

It is a good thing CalGun posters know all this and don't post anything they did that could be illegal on a public forum.

Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 10-08-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Old 10-08-2013, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith Dan View Post
FYI before you guys post anything else on this thread topic PLEASE note that doing what was IN THEROY was done above, not actually done to make a real pistol, would be considered the illegal manufacturing of a firearm.

So it is a good thing that what was posted above was just a discussion in theory of how it could be done, but since it would be illegal it was not done to actually produce a firearm, just exercising first ammendment rights to talk about things.

Because everyone on CalGuns knows that the BATF&E as well as the CA DOJ routinely read the website.

Everyone on CalGuns also knows that before anything is allowed to be a "80%" frame/receiver it MUST be submitted to BATF&E for approval to be classified as "80%" unless you are the one that made it from a block of metal/plastic on your own for yourself.

It is a good thing CalGun posters know all this and don't post anything they did that could be illegal on a public forum.

The pistol 100% real, shoots 100% bullets and 100% legal in Mass, where I hail from. Not sure about CA or what you comrades have to deal with.

ATF does not make determination on "80%" anything. This term does not exist. They determine if item is firearm or not, "79.9%" or "80%" term is as real as Ded Moroz. I still wait on ATF letter for all the hammers and tools in my garage ... you know, just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-09-2013, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith Dan View Post

making laws for yourself before your government can provide them for you.

Now I see why the great state of CA is where it's at these days. Yikes.