Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-03-2013, 5:08 PM

Default Background issue?

I've been in a pre service academy for six months and have been applying to agencies, most recent was my PIQ at lapd this morning. Here's my issue. I screwed up and drove a little drunk on 9/21/13 and integrity is important so I didn't lie. No DUI, just drunk driving. Am I just waiting for my DQ letter at this point?
Old 10-03-2013, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Honestly, I am not too sure because you did not get DUI, but 09/21/13 going to have negative impact on you for sure. Whatever happens just man up and use this experience as a learning experience.
Old 10-03-2013, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishtq View Post
No DUI, just drunk driving.
Is there a difference? or did you not get arrested, but admitted to a stupid behavior that there is no way they would have found out about unless you or someone you were with told them about? Honesty is always the best policy, however there probably isn't a person alive who hasn't done something stupid that only they know about. So why tell anyone else you were stupid?
Old 10-04-2013, 4:28 AM
Calguns Addict

You admitted to breaking the law, and a life threatening one at that, within the last two weeks, while attending an academy and actively applying to agencies. What kind of commitment to the law do you think that is going to show prospective employers? If you had done that in the past, and shown that you had grown from it and past it, and stayed straight since, I would say it would not be a deal breaker. But, with this being in the last two weeks, I think this is going to hurt you for a while.

Just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Seems like that pendulum is about to shift.
Is this your Calguns?

Old 10-04-2013, 8:57 AM

A good friend of mine was all smiles and extremely up-beat after leaving the interview room after an LAPD interview. I asked him why he seemed so happy, and he replied "I told them something that they don't often hear. I told them that I'm honest.". Now, I don't know if that disqualified him, but I'm about 75% sure that it did.

In January of 1970, an LAPD background investigator spoke with my landlady, asking her if she thought that I'd make a good police officer. She replied, "No....he's too honest!"

During the final step of my background investigation, that same investigator told me about what my landlady had said. Jokingly, I exclaimed, "Hey, no I'm not!".

You should NEVER offer information about yourself that might disqualify you, unless you're absolutely sure that they will find out about it later. In essence, leave sleeping dogs alone....and what THEY don't know about you won't hurt you!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Dude, really? Go ahead and admit it and the doors are shut for good.

Yes integrity is important, but were all human. We cant tell you what do, just remember once you do open Pandoras box. It cant always be shut.

Another thing just because you "drove drunk" doesnt mean you were. Did you have your BAC measured to determine that?

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 10-04-2013 at 10:05 AM..
Old 10-04-2013, 12:44 PM

I was pretty far along with a local department and was DQd for admitting the same. I was disappointed, but I don't lose any sleep. Being DQd for drunk driving is way better than being DQd for lying by omission. I'll try again in a year. You may have to wait too. If you were really on the fence about admitting, maybe posting on this forum wasn't the best idea.

https://htpscourse.com/
Old 10-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbisquit View Post
I was pretty far along with a local department and was DQd for admitting the same. I was disappointed, but I don't lose any sleep. Being DQd for drunk driving is way better than being DQd for lying by omission. I'll try again in a year. You may have to wait too. If you were really on the fence about admitting, maybe posting on this forum wasn't the best idea.
^This
You just need to man up and try again next year or so. You are better of being DQd then lying on your application to different department. DQd means you still have a chance, but lying means you are done.
Old 10-04-2013, 1:37 PM
Veteran Member

You will most likely be disqualified for a period of time. If you had lied and it was discovered you would have been disqualified for good. You will be allowed to reapply after a few years most likely.
Old 10-04-2013, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbisquit View Post
Also, it may be a good idea to continue to admit,(to the same mistake) since you already have, as there will likely be a notation in your file...

Last edited by IA300; 10-04-2013 at 2:13 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-04-2013, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishtq View Post
I've been in a pre service academy for six months and have been applying to agencies, most recent was my PIQ at lapd this morning. Here's my issue. I screwed up and drove a little drunk on 9/21/13 and integrity is important so I didn't lie. No DUI, just drunk driving. Am I just waiting for my DQ letter at this point?
You really showed bad judgement.

Just because you put yourself thru the academy, you know LAPD will make you go thru their academy? BTDT
Old 10-04-2013, 6:25 PM

Just don't lie about it in the future either. On background questionaires or an oral panel I bet what you say/admit to in an oral panel follows you around as well.
Old 10-04-2013, 7:44 PM

I know I made a bad decision. I was 10 drinks over like 8 hours then I waited like 2 hours before I drove but I know I wasn't completely sober so I told the truth. I don't want to get hit on the polygraph. I'm just going to own my bad decision and hope that it works out well.
Old 10-05-2013, 1:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

All the background guys I have spoken with have all said the same thing. If there is no paper trail, it didn't happen. I don't know if that is good advice, but its worth listening to.
Old 10-05-2013, 1:51 PM
Banned

Did u admit to having a few beers and drinking or having a shot contest, winning and then driving? Its all in how you said it.
Old 10-05-2013, 3:35 PM

10 beers over 8 hours waited a couple and then drove home. No shot contest here. I just won't risk failing a polygraph for that. No paper trail but I'm going to disclose everything.
Old 10-05-2013, 4:10 PM
Veteran Member

Polygraph isn't real. It just measures your biological responses. Aldrich ames who worked for the CIA and passed secret's to the Soviet's passed a poly... If you know how to control yourself, or how it works you'll see It's bunk science.

People who routinely tell the truth are still DQ'd. Because they're a nervous wreck and every question they answer looks like their deceitful. Which is why they aren't used as evidence in court.
Old 10-05-2013, 4:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would say it will DQ you for a period of time. Proceed as normal and keep applying to different agencies. Next time, get a designated driver!

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 10-05-2013, 4:59 PM

10 drinks over 8 hours?

PARTY!!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 5:49 PM

If you get DQ'd by lapd it's almost like the kiss of death with other departments in the area.

Good Luck.