Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-02-2013, 1:21 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Default I Need Suggestions For A New Vest

Hello!

I have been working a non-patrol assignment for the last year and I will soon be returning to the field (by choice!). The vest I used for the last few years was a level 3A and it seemed very heavy. It was torture in the summer months and even in cool night weather it trapped a lot of heat.

The worst part was that it bunched up around the bottom and made it look like I had a spare tire above my Sam Browne. In short it just sucked.

I plan to do it right this time. I am willing to spend money on the right product, but I want something thin and pliable that doesn't cook me like a turkey. Level 2 or 3 should be OK, as I still plan to use a small trauma plate in the front.

We all know that no concealable armor will stop every type of projectile so I am looking for a reasonable amount of ballistic protection with maximum comfort and cool to wear.

I respectfully ask that only active LE who wear a vest in the field daily respond with their feedback. I don't have any use for feedback from the guy that wore a vest at Front Sight for a two day class and really liked it. I have to wear this thing all day every day. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 2:19 PM

US Armor makes some good vests but I would recommend going with some of their higher end ones. Their low end stuff, while the ballistic protection may be good, is stiff, hot, and the straps don't last long (though all vests may now be coming with their redesigned straps so that may no longer be an issue on any vests from them). Their customer service has been top notch, and if you are near the shop they are more than happy to take care of you there.
Old 10-02-2013, 2:35 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
US Armor makes some good vests but I would recommend going with some of their higher end ones. Their low end stuff, while the ballistic protection may be good, is stiff, hot, and the straps don't last long (though all vests may now be coming with their redesigned straps so that may no longer be an issue on any vests from them). Their customer service has been top notch, and if you are near the shop they are more than happy to take care of you there.
Thank you, I noticed they are in Cerritos. That is definitely close. Do they sell direct to LE?

Last edited by Bobby Ricigliano; 10-02-2013 at 2:43 PM..
Old 10-02-2013, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

I wear a Point Blank level III-A. It's light and comfortable for a vest. I also have two 5x8 steel rifle plates in front and back. They're expensive, but worth it IMO.

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 10-02-2013, 9:12 PM

I would check out Second Chance or ABA.... My second chance vest was extremely comfortable! And their so cal distributor in Pomona actually sized me and made sure I was happy with the vest before I paid....
Old 10-02-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Thank you, I noticed they are in Cerritos. That is definitely close. Do they sell direct to LE?
Standby for a PM this evening.
Old 10-03-2013, 9:10 AM

Since you get to choose the vest, check out Renegade Armor's vest with Twaron panels. The manufacturer rep is located in S. Cal and one of the sellers is The Vest Man in Lawndale. I believe they sell the vest for $750.
http://www.renegade-armor.com/defender.html

After checking out a sample, it is the vest that I will be ordering soon to replace an expired one that met the NIJ 0101.05 standard.

Everyone seems to complain about the current vests which meet the current NIJ 0101.06 standard with Kevlar panels. The Kevlar seem to be thicker and less pliable than former NIJ 0101.05 standard panels.

Got ORI?

Front Sight Diamond Member
Old 10-03-2013, 1:41 PM

Checkout US Armor. They offer a 'tailor' fit not just standard sizing. It makes the vest much more comfortable with less 'spare tire' and vest creep. I had this for my last vest. I made an appointment, swung by the factory (Cerritos) and got measured. In a few weeks they called and I went by to pick it up. They insisted I try it on there to make sure they got it right.

That vest was much more comfortable than my current ABA standard size vest.
Old 10-03-2013, 5:39 PM

I also use a custom vest based on my measurements. My agency provides it. It is IIIA also. I have never experienced the "spare tire" or "creep" as you describe, probably because it fits just right. I do, however, agree that it is not comfortable during warm/hot weather. I tried all kinds of different shirts to help with the heat and moisture, but none of them worked very well. I asked around, and everyone says the same thing. One officer told me it will always be hot and I should just accept that. Another told to work nights when it is nice and cool outside.
I did see one person wearing a vest with ice packs inside the armor. It was like a vest within the vest. The ice packs thawed in about an hour.