Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 AM

Default Thoughts on Remington 783

Just wanna feel how my fellow Calgunners think about the R783? Seems like a great start having Button'd rifle'd barrel, cylindrical receiver, and an adjustable trigger? Iuno tell me what cha' think
Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Its alot better than the 770 (which is crap) but its still not a 700.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 AM

The verdict is still out on this gun. Give it a few more months or maybe a year to see what reviews will be generated as the the gun just hit the market this past January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Here's my analogy that anybody on calguns can understand:
Hunters = law abiding gun owners
Poachers = school shooters
See how big the difference is?
Old 10-02-2013, 12:25 PM

I bought a 770 and like it. I found out about the gun because a guy was selling it for a SMOKIN deal and I wanted a 30-06 for hunting. I think it really depends on what you will be using the firearm for. In my case, I wanted a decent shooting rifle that would only shoot a few boxes of ammo a year and would not break my heart if it got banged around while hunting. For what I wanted, the 770 fit the bill. I wouldnt recommend the gun for weekly benchrest shooting but for a gun that only gets a box of rounds through it a year for sighting in and hunting, I think its great and will last me the rest of my days.

Many people hate on the 770 because its not a 700 and it wasnt meant to be and doesnt cost as much as a 700. Its a cheaper Remington rifle and while the bolt is a little sloppy, if you research the 770 online most people who hate on it dont own it or shoot only 700's and many people who actually own the 770 are satisfied with it.

If the 783 is similar, go check it out, you might be suprised. I like my 770, regardless of what people think. I shoot it well enough (at 100 and 200 yards) that I havent felt the need to upgrade, yet.

Last edited by Garyson1311; 10-29-2013 at 9:34 AM..
Old 10-02-2013, 12:54 PM

It looks a lot like a Savage Precision Target action with a magazine (a la Savage Axis), barrel nut, AccuTrigger, pillar bedded stock, button rifled barrel, indeed it seems to borrow from the Savage design.

Here is a review on it: http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...ton-783-review

If it's anywhere near as accurate as the Savage, at a MSRP of $451 it gotta be a really outstanding value. It puts my old 788 to shame, appearance and function wise. My plan is to pick one up as soon as they are available in more short action calibers.
Old 10-02-2013, 8:52 PM

The 783 has many similarities to the Marlin X7. My Marlin is an excellent rifle at its price point which was $359 at the time I bought it in stainless. I have read on other forums that Remington has backed off the production of the Marlin because it cut into sales of the 770. Regardless of that, if the 783 is as good as the Marlin X7 than it is a very capable rifle.
Old 10-24-2013, 6:58 AM
Veteran Member

I just read the review in American Riflemen and its a savage Axis with a better stock design.

Rigid action with good out of box accuracy that can be improved with trigger work/handloads maybe restocking with a ridged laminate.

With a action wrench caliber changes could be quick.

Looking at the bolt handle it looks a little weak/slim at the base of bolt body, and I don't know how it will handle sticky cartridges or stuck cases when you break out the mallet.

That trigger guard shape has got to go!
Old 10-24-2013, 4:59 PM

Honestly. I believe it is doomed to be a poor quality failure like the 770 and the 710 before it. Remington is getting very desperate to flood the market with a cheap rifle to compete with all of the countless other cheap poor quality rifles flooding the market today.
My advice:

* If you want a Remington, buy the 700 and live with a good rifle that is infinitely upgradeable.

* If you really have to pinch some pennies, get the savage - its the best of the cheap guns.

* If you want the best cost to quality ratio and don't plan on building the gun up over time, get a Tikka
Old 10-29-2013, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
* If you want a Remington, buy the 700 and live with a good rifle that is infinitely upgradeable.

* If you really have to pinch some pennies, get the savage - its the best of the cheap guns.

* If you want the best cost to quality ratio and don't plan on building the gun up over time, get a Tikka
^^^ I'll second that. My choice would be; save up for the 700. You may not get it as soon as a cheaper rifle, but you won't be sorry.
Old 11-16-2013, 4:10 AM

I own two I bought one for my son and got other as a gift. I have taken it hunting many times. It's accurate, solid, and reliable in my opinion. I also own a 700 and I guess you can't compare to a 700's fancy materials, but the 783 does the job and does it well.The 783 is a great wear and tear gun and is dead on just like my 700. So I'd say go for it and shoot your heart out!

Last edited by 44magdave; 11-26-2013 at 8:24 PM..
Old 11-16-2013, 4:19 AM

Don't forget to look at what Savage has to offer in a comparable package and caliber.
Old 11-16-2013, 6:45 AM

I second what North Bay Guy said. When I first saw the Savage my initial impression was - wow what a cheap piece of ****. Then I bought a Precision Target Action for a build. Live and learn. The Target AccuTrigger is good just as it is, and the entire rifle and action can be disassembled with a folding allen wrench set, a screw driver and maybe a 1/16" pin punch to replace the ejector. Barrels and bolt heads swap in and out with a barrel nut wrench and vise (there's more to it than that, but any mechanic can do it). Now I have three Savage customs and half a dozen barrels in various calibers.

The Remington 783 is worth looking at too, but don't sell the Savage short.
Old 11-26-2013, 8:03 PM

I just picked up my 783 in 30-06 and put a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 x 44 on it. I bought it as a hunting rifle, and I know it is not a 700. I'll get a 700 eventually, but for now this seems to fit the mold of what I am looking for. So far I really like it. The action could use a little polishing, but I imagine that normal wear will take care of it. I'll report back after a solid day at the range.
Old 11-30-2013, 6:17 PM

Took it out to Angeles today. The wind was blowing well. The first shots were about 4" to the left. By the 10th round or so I was in the 1 1/2"-2" range. Over all, I am very happy with it. Now if this wind would go away...