Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 10-02-2013, 1:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.
Default My trip to build a multimedia machine and migrate to Linux instead of Winblows... ?

So I have a project or two.

I need to vidcap a few VHS tapes onto DVD for some folks so they can watch them. One is a collection of work that someone did and the other is an old instructional video that is OOP... Oh yeah, I also have a movie series that I want to put onto you tube and I figure that by editing and what not I can get something out of it all by producing youtube movies with intros and outros...

I am unemployed and have basically 0 money for new hardware currently.
I have at my disposal TWO Socket 939 boards WITH an FX-60 cpu and an Opteron 180 CPU (both 939)

I ALSO just purchased from Microcenter (cause it was on sale) an ASUS MOBO + FX4130 (I think that is what it was) quad core AMD with 8MB L2 cache and 3.8GHZ. PLUS Kingston ddr3 1333 4GB ram kit... For about $140 (mobo and CPU are on sale for $99)

I originally had 2 socket 939 boards in my house. ONE was for my master system that is running now and the other is for my multimedia system that is currently down. My master system is running a jetway 939 with Athlon X2 3800 and it is chugging along nicely now that I put the smack down on my video card.

My multimedia system was working FINE and the Board it was on was a MSI KT8 Neo2 (there are only two of these boards) this was the board with TWO ram slots. It had IDE + Sata but the case it was mounted in gave me NO room once I had everything plugged in and the CDROM drive was installed. The sata and IDE connectors were blocked by the CDROM. The system was with an FX-60 CPU/2GB of RAM/250GB Hitachi SATA hd/64GB WD Cheetah 10k hd/main OS drive and DVDburner were PATA and on the same cable.

SO I got a new case that had more room, BUT at the same time, I did not want to keep that mobo so I bought a new used board to plug it all into because it was a KT8 Neo2 as well, it had 4 slots of RAM and could accept all 4 gigs of RAM. BUT, it failed to see my two SATA drives, one had all of my programs and one was my vid capping drive (cheetah). It also told me that I had a FX-2600 cpu. The BIOS was 3.2. Anyways I JUST updated it to 9.4 BIOS and NOW it shows the correct CPU ID. But, it does not show my two SATA drives. I bought a controller card for PCI and plugged them into that and the thing failed to boot at all.

Did I miss something?

At this point, I put in the new ASUS board with the FX4130, 4GB of ram and hooked everything up, EXCEPT it has no PATA connectors, SO, I am waiting for PATA to SATA adapters to arrive to make my DVD and OS drive into SATA drives so that I can finally be on my way loading them up and getting this work done.
BTW, I already acquired a VCR with a TBC built in to output to my pinnacle vid cap unit. Macrovision should effectively be disabled.

The OS is Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. I have all of my programs on there but after I cap these two things I am thinking of calling it quits on Winblows and moving to a Linux based system.

Arch Linux is what I want, but do they have all of the multimedia editing and what not in Linux that they do in Winblows? I mean, things like TMPEG and Pinnacle and all that anyways. Is there a huge all in one GREAT multimedia authoring/editing/pro/entry level setup that I can get for Linux?

Advice needed on that. Anyone edit movies in Linux?

Meanwhile, I am going to put my orignal 939 board into a box with the opteron 180 and make a VMWARE Hypervisor Sphere and ESXI what not doodad and then load up Server 2012 on the other 939 system in a box and see what I can learn in the next few weeks. My cisco catalyst is a 2900 series switch so maybe I can play with that too.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire

Last edited by stilly; 10-02-2013 at 2:52 AM..
Old 10-02-2013, 9:28 AM
Calguns Addict

I have done no Video editing in Linux, but Windows 7 runs better in a VM on this machine I am typing this on, than natively.

(Firefox and flash don't hang like they did in Windows 7 in this Pear 8 Beta Distro I am using.)

I just skimmed the dissertation above, but try a Windows VM in Linux, and edit in Windows that way, what do you have to lose?
Old 10-03-2013, 9:02 PM
Calguns Addict

I love micro centers sales and open boxes...Many a deal to be had...many

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 10-03-2013, 9:43 PM
Banned

Questions:

Why do you want Arch?

How experienced with linux are you?

Do you want a video editing box or a multimedia box?

-----

Pretty sure if you give me more specifics on what you want to do I can find the applications that people are using.

I'm not a video editor, but I am a Linux professional.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k_lopez View Post
Questions:

Why do you want Arch?

How experienced with linux are you?

Do you want a video editing box or a multimedia box?

-----

Pretty sure if you give me more specifics on what you want to do I can find the applications that people are using.

I'm not a video editor, but I am a Linux professional.
I remember reading that many a decent machine was built on Arch due to it being fast and light, but it just dawned on me. You are right, a multimedia box is NOT a video editing box. I want to put a good combination of software on the hardware and be able to do the editing.

How hard would it be to make an VM image from my current setup, then run it in a VM on Linux when I wipe out Windows?

Currently I have nothing running. Just trying to decide.

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 PM

VMware cold clone will easily create an image of your current drive and allow you to boot it in VMware player
Old 10-04-2013, 9:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Soooo linux is like the ugly GF with a fine body and you put a bag over her head with windows 7 on it when you do it?

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
Soooo linux is like the ugly GF with a fine body and you put a bag over her head with windows 7 on it when you do it?
Old 10-06-2013, 3:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
And a ball-gag in her mouth...

:O

No, but I have my entire suite of video editing and capping programs in Winblows 7 but I put it together some time last year before I found out about Linux so I want to complete a project or two and then make the change over and see if the things I found for Linux will work as well or better.

Thanks d4v0s

SO, if I installed VMWARE and then allowed it to make an image of my C: (which is currently reserved for Windows 7 x64), then I could wipe out the C:. install linux + vmware and then fire up the iamge of vmware and it would act like the C: and still access all of the programs installed on the D: ? Is that how it works?