Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-01-2013, 9:24 PM

Default San Diego Reserve Officers/Deputies

So I was researching info on becoming a reserve officer. Apparently there is no modular academy in San Diego that does POST level I. I was thinking, "well that's ok I'll just try level III and II and do less stuff as a reserve, maybe get the level I later."

Well after looking at SDPD and SDSD websites, it says they want their reserves to have Level I.

http://www.sandiego.gov/police/recru...shtml#reserves

Reserves must possess a current POST Level I certificate and pass the Police Background. (No persons with felony convictions or currently on probation accepted.)

http://www.sdsheriff.net/volunteer_reserves.html

You should meet the following criteria:
◾Complete full basic academy before final acceptance.

I am under the impression that Full Basic = Level I POST

So whats the deal with that? Are level II and III just not worth the time to train/hire? Even if they work for free, is it not worth it for the department to do all the background and interviews?

Do any departments around SD take on Level II or III reserves?
Old 10-02-2013, 8:41 AM

OK I found that Escondido takes Level II and III, But thats a little far north. Any info about other departments? OR any info about SDPD and why they only want Level I. Or am I wrong and that info is wrong?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:51 AM

Depends on how the agency uses their reserves. I don't know SDPD or SDSD's philosophy on reserves but generally:

Duties in the Level 3 portfolio maybe covered by another job classification (PSO, CST,...) at the agency. It could bring up contract/labor issues if "free" Level 3 reserves start taking positions or 'special assignments' from the other job classification.

Level 1 and 2 reserves need to complete FTO. At the end of FTO the level 2 can only work under direct suprevision of an officer. A level 1 can work independently on patrol. So for the same training investment a dept can get a second body in the car (still a good thing) or an independent officer. From that perspective, there is greater value in the level 1.
Old 10-02-2013, 2:28 PM

I understand how some officers don't like reserves. I just read a huge thread on another webforum where the union supporters would bash reserve volunteers for stealing their jobs and overtime pay.

I would love for someone from the SD departments to give some insight on how the feeling towards reserves are over here.

Thanks mixicus for confirming what I thought about the Level Is.

Last edited by ECG_88; 10-02-2013 at 5:17 PM..
Old 10-03-2013, 7:17 AM

Default Reserve Academy

I did level II, then II and I in the bay area about 7 years ago and almost all of the depts. up there want level II (minimum) - I believe Santa Clara SO was cool with level III's but I remember being told they wouldn't do much by way of actual law enforcement.

When I went through the Academy Level II was a decent level to reach, you learned much more than level III but I went on to close out Level I when it came available and to be honest, in my humble opinion level I is what really is needed to start the job. Obviously with Level I there are all the elements but the big difference I remember was the driving. I believe (could be wrong) that you need the EVOC course if you plan on driving or operating code 3 in the vehicle.

Aim for level II as a minimum, I think that will get you prepped and plan on doing level I (if you are lucky to find a class that's actually running) and get ready to run in Level I - its not impossible and I was never the fittest guy but we would run .5 mile to get to where we would run the 1.5 mile test run and I got that down from a miserable 17+ minutes to under 11 minutes.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2013, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castelle View Post
I did level II, then II and I in the bay area about 7 years ago and almost all of the depts. up there want level II (minimum) - I believe Santa Clara SO was cool with level III's but I remember being told they wouldn't do much by way of actual law enforcement.

When I went through the Academy Level II was a decent level to reach, you learned much more than level III but I went on to close out Level I when it came available and to be honest, in my humble opinion level I is what really is needed to start the job. Obviously with Level I there are all the elements but the big difference I remember was the driving. I believe (could be wrong) that you need the EVOC course if you plan on driving or operating code 3 in the vehicle.

Aim for level II as a minimum, I think that will get you prepped and plan on doing level I (if you are lucky to find a class that's actually running) and get ready to run in Level I - its not impossible and I was never the fittest guy but we would run .5 mile to get to where we would run the 1.5 mile test run and I got that down from a miserable 17+ minutes to under 11 minutes.

Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement. I definitely want to do Level II at the minimum, it just depends on time and money for classes. Once Level II is done I will see what academies are doing a Level I night class. I still got to work a full time day job to pay the bills.
Old 10-03-2013, 3:51 PM

SDSO will hire you as a Level II reserve if you meet the qualifications (background, etc). Level III is only for specialized details like SAR, so if you're not already affiliated with the department, you probably won't be hired as a Level III. The deputies love reserve IIs and IIIs because those are jobs that they either don't want to do, or there aren't positions for.
Old 10-04-2013, 7:57 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

When I was a Level I, there was a course for it. Eventually the course got wrapped up with Module D, and basically became a full academy. I'm not sure if anyone offers it anymore, it has been almost 20 years since I took the course (mutafugger I can't believe it has been that long, wth...)
Old 10-12-2013, 6:27 PM

SDSO is looking for a lot of Level IIs and SAR is always in need of more Level IIIs and Level IIs and they sponsor a lot of the costs of the academy if that interests you. I'm midway through Level III academy now and looking to go into Level II academy in January. The problem is that due to budgeting issues Grossmont only has their academies every 2 years so there won't be another set until late 2015 for anyone looking to get in now.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:40 AM

Is Grossmont the only academy they will semi sponsor? What about Palomar?
Old 10-14-2013, 5:40 PM

I have worked around a lot of reserves in SD and they seem to be fine. Reach out to Quinton Kawahara, do a google search.

He can answer a lot of questions for you.

from the great nowhere
Old 10-17-2013, 1:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
Is Grossmont the only academy they will semi sponsor? What about Palomar?
Just goto Miramar (sd sheriff,sdpd) ran academy and be done with it in 6 months. Full POST basic.

Its going to be full time, but their reputation is better than grossmont.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 10-17-2013 at 2:49 PM..
Old 10-17-2013, 1:51 PM

I would love to go to the miramar academy, Its the closest location to my place, but I cant afford to take 6 months off.
Old 10-17-2013, 2:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
I would love to go to the miramar academy, Its the closest location to my place, but I cant afford to take 6 months off.
Most people who goto Miramar are self sponsored, are on some form of assistance, pel,unemployment, live with parents. Or a agency is taking care of them.

You can try Palomar(San Marcos), its a year long program " extended format" gives you 60 credits for a AA in CJ. Youd have to drive a bit. Pretty pricy costs like 5k or more.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 10-17-2013 at 2:57 PM..