Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Default LASD Academy

I was just wondering about LASD Academy. I have seen some pictures of some recruits wearing their military ribbons during academy. Is it just for academy only or are they allow to wear their ribbons anytime they want.
Thank you for your help.

Hoping Ron or Retired could answer this for me. Just curious.
It does look nice and fancy in the picture

In RSO we are allow to wear small military logo pin in our uniform.

WTT VP9 with Garret Industries Holster
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1191907

Last edited by BoJackUSMC; 09-28-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Old 09-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Usually only for special events or inspections. Typically when you get your class photo taken or graduation. Your D.I. will let you know when it is a good idea to wear them.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Department policy allows them to be worn on the Class A uniform at any time, but in practice it is usually only done on special occasions.

I worked with a guy who had received the Departments Medal of Valor, Medal for Bravery, and the Meritorious Service (Gold). Add in his Distinguished Flying Cross, Silver Star, Bronze Star, and Vietnamese Cross of Gallentry, and he had quite a collection.

The Department "Ribbons" are awkward to line up and it is time consuming to put them on. In addition to the various valor and distinguished service ribbons, each Division had ribbons, as well as FTO, marksmanship, etc. The only ones usually worn are the valor and distinguished service awards. The others are considered "participation" awards to most.

The ones that really mean something:

Medal of Valor. (red/white/blue)
ALADS Medal for Bravery. (red/blue)
Meritorious Conduct -Gold (blue/white)
Meritorious Conduct -Silver (red/white)
Lifesaving Award (blue/white/blue with red cross in center)
Distinguished Service Award(green/gold)
Meritorious Service Award (green/gold/green)
Exemplary Service Award (gold/green/gold)
Sheriff's Award (gold/green/gold) narrow stripe

The requirements for many of these awards are very strict, so you don't see them being worn very often. Second awards of the same level (very rare) are represented by another ribbon of the same. There is no "Oak Leaf Cluster" like the military uses.

When awarded, they have a ribbon for daily uniform wear. The ribbon is made of epoxy resin in colors to denote the award. The actual medal is only worn when presented, or at other functions "deemed appropriate by the Sheriff.". There is a smaller pin that can be worn on the lapel of business attire.

There is another pin that is often worn by vets. It is a badge and a US flag that says, US Verteran, Still Serving Proudly". It is a very nice looking pin.

Here is what some of those awards look like:

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 10-23-2013 at 8:11 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Additionally, the LASD only authorizes the wearing of ribbons representling personal awards only. Many department members have improperly worn military ribbon bars containing all of their military ribbons.

Postscript - A better quote from LASD policy is "Awards and Decorations." LASD policy further restricts wear to those ribbons earned during wartime.

Last edited by RickD427; 09-29-2013 at 7:40 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 2:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Additionally, the LASD only authorizes the wearing of ribbons representling personal awards only. Many department members have improperly worn military ribbon bars containing all of their military ribbons.
Did not know that...

Old 09-29-2013, 6:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Thank you Ron Solo for your help sir.

WTT VP9 with Garret Industries Holster
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1191907
Old 09-29-2013, 6:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Did not know that...
Ron,

That issue came to me when one of my sergeants (an ex-Marine, Vietnam Vet) went on the warpath over the issue. If I remember the exact wording from the MPP it was only "Decorations and Awards" that could be worn on the LASD uniform. There is also language in the MPP that further restricts members to only wearing ribbons earned during wartime service.

I earned six rows of ribbons during my military service. Only about half of them could be properly worn on my sheriff's uniform, but then I only wore them once - that was at a veteran's memorial where the family requested.
Old 09-29-2013, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Since I'm not a vet, I didn't keep up on a lot of the military stuff. Guys rarely wore them, and it was usually on Veterans Day, Memorial Day, etc.

I had a Captain give me a hassle about wearing two ribbons for the Medal for Bravery, saying I should only wear the Medal of Valor ribbon. He was wrong, since they are seperate awards, and there is no Oak Leaf Cluster for additional awards.

All he had were the ribbons you can buy for the divisions you worked. He gave the Admin Division the highest priority. In 30 years on the Departmnt, he had less than three in uniform patrol as a deputy, sergeant, and lieutenant. He was a back stabbing climber.

Old 09-29-2013, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Since I'm not a vet, I didn't keep up on a lot of the military stuff. Guys rarely wore them, and it was usually on Veterans Day, Memorial Day, etc.

I had a Captain give me a hassle about wearing two ribbons for the Medal for Bravery, saying I should only wear the Medal of Valor ribbon. He was wrong, since they are seperate awards, and there is no Oak Leaf Cluster for additional awards.

All he had were the ribbons you can buy for the divisions you worked. He gave the Admin Division the highest priority. In 30 years on the Departmnt, he had less than three in uniform patrol as a deputy, sergeant, and lieutenant. He was a back stabbing climber.
Ron,

I'm sorry that you had to work for a captain like that. I was lucky. In nearly all of my departmental assignments, I had very good command staffs to work for. In the very few instances where I didn't, I didn't stay very long.
Old 09-29-2013, 9:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Most of the places I worked I had very good command staff to work for, but there were two captains that had no ethics or morals. Both were weasels. Not bad for a 32 year career, and I only had to deal with those two for about a year each before they stabbed enough people in the back to move on. I was only a casualty once, but got out before anything too bad.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:02 PM

I went to a LASO Academy Graduation in 2008. I thought the military ribbons were a real touch of class that honored the vets in the class.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Most of the places I worked I had very good command staff to work for, but there were two captains that had no ethics or morals. Both were weasels. Not bad for a 32 year career, and I only had to deal with those two for about a year each before they stabbed enough people in the back to move on. I was only a casualty once, but got out before anything too bad.
Ron,

Drop their names! Are they still on!? C'mon, you're retired..!! Spill it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"
Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, since one is the current Sheriff's Aide, and the Sheriff signs my CCW, I will do something they didn't. I will take the high road and not mention their names.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Well, since one is the current Sheriff's Aide, and the Sheriff signs my CCW, I will do something they didn't. I will take the high road and not mention their names.
Dang. You narrowed it down some, but now I have to do some research

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"
Old 10-15-2013, 8:53 PM

The Greene/gold ribbons are also looked upon as "desk-commando" awards too. Cheesy to wear and display them in most "ground pounder's" opinion.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
Old 10-15-2013, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
The Greene/gold ribbons are also looked upon as "desk-commando" awards too. Cheesy to wear and display them in most "ground pounder's" opinion.
I've felt the same way after seeing a guy I know get THREE of them before he ever went out to Patrol.
Old 10-20-2013, 7:51 AM

+1 for the man, Ron, I have been reading your postings for a while now, I do find myself looking for them as i enjoy reading them. +1 for the high road.
Old 10-21-2013, 7:04 PM

I left LASO almost 18 years ago to move north. I think my wife is going to drag me back down there in the next month or so to visit. I should get a medal just for going back down there. I worked with some good guys but that's about all I miss of that area.
Old 10-22-2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantcme View Post
I left LASO almost 18 years ago to move north. I think my wife is going to drag me back down there in the next month or so to visit. I should get a medal just for going back down there. I worked with some good guys but that's about all I miss of that area.
Like me!!!! . <---------- (good guy)

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.