Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-27-2013, 5:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question Blade bayonet Chinese SKS is C & R?

Can I sell a blade bayonet SKS to a C & R holder in CA? Can I sell FTF?

I thought no, I cannot, but someone recently told me yes, blade-type is legal to do so. The example in question is an arsenal /26\ in a triangle in the 8-million serial number range.

Thanks for any info/help...
Old 09-27-2013, 6:50 PM

Chinese /26\ SKS's are the only ones that can be somewhat accurately dated by the s/n. For 1 Million+ serial numbers, add the 1st digit to 1956 to determine the year of manufacture. Yours would be 1956 + 8 = 1964 so it is 49 years old and not eligible for FTF transfer in California. The recent imports from CAI and IO Inc were granted C&R status by the Feds so this may be the blade-type SKS's you were told about. They all seem to be in the 3 million and less s/n range and include some Sino-Soviet and so called "ghost" rifles with very low s/n but no /26\ stamp.
Old 09-27-2013, 8:13 PM

Blade does not determine C&R status. This one needs transfer thru a dealer.
Old 09-27-2013, 9:01 PM

Post the serial number and we can date it. Most likely it is C&R status and can be FTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!
Old 09-28-2013, 4:36 AM
Calguns Addict

my spike bayonet chinese SKS was missing the bayonet when i got it 4 months ago. the last owner got it in the 90s. i reinstalled the spike bayonet. i know their was a time when they only sold them in CA with the bayonet removed. but all SKSs for a long time have the bayonet attached. is their still a law out their saying no bayonet on some chinese SKSs but others it is OK.
Old 09-28-2013, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
my spike bayonet chinese SKS was missing the bayonet when i got it 4 months ago. the last owner got it in the 90s. i reinstalled the spike bayonet. i know their was a time when they only sold them in CA with the bayonet removed. but all SKSs for a long time have the bayonet attached. is their still a law out their saying no bayonet on some chinese SKSs but others it is OK.
In 1989, Bush Sr. banned the import of non-sporting rifles that had military features. This included Chinese SKS's with the bayonet attached. To get around this ban, the bayonets were either removed or the bayonet lug was milled off. To add a bayonet to a Chinese SKS that was imported after the ban went into effect in 1989 would be illegal unless you swap out enough parts to satisfy 922r. The hard part in determining if your SKS can have a bayonet or not is determining when it was imported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
Post the serial number and we can date it. Most likely it is C&R status and can be FTF
The OP already posted it's in the 8 million range so it's not C&R.
Old 09-28-2013, 8:18 AM
Calguns Addict

what i do not understand is all the chinese SKSs for sale retail have the bayonet . Are YUGOs exempted because my 1978 YUGO came with the Bayonet installed. i think this is a old law that no longer applies. if it did every YUGO would have the bayonet removed.
Old 09-28-2013, 8:38 AM

lol.

As was already stated, the style of bayonet has nothing to do with a weapon's C&R status.

And I believe there is still no concrete evidence that any Chinese SKS is of a certain date. We have a joint knowledge base that says it is how Lurch described it. But I am pretty sure the ATF still hasn't issued anything that trumps their exemption of Chinese SKS rifles from their C&R label. The recent imports are apparently ok, but unless you can prove your rifle is one of those, I'd be pretty leery of selling it as one.
Old 09-28-2013, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

sorry if i am missing something but turners was not long ago selling YUGO SKSs that in no way were imported before 1989, nor were they made over 50 years ago. many YUGOs still being sold retail with bayonet installed.
Old 09-28-2013, 9:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
sorry if i am missing something but turners was not long ago selling YUGO SKSs that in no way were imported before 1989, nor were they made over 50 years ago. many YUGOs still being sold retail with bayonet installed.
As you remember Shanghai guy asked if particular SKS with or with no bayonet is under C&R regulation and able to buy/sell FTF.
What you wrote - Yugo SKS obviously less than 50 y. o
you able to buy in store. So what?
You not able legally buy them FTF cash and carry.

= = = = = = = = = = = = =
"If we see that Germany is winning we ought to help Russia and if Russia is winning we ought to help Germany, and Neither of them thinks anything of their pledged word."
Harry Truman - As quoted in The New York Times 07/24/1941
"We do not keep anybody as our enemies;
But we do not recommend others to consider us as their enemy." V. Putin - 04/16/2015
Old 09-28-2013, 9:44 AM
Calguns Addict

i thought were were talking about legally owning a Chinese SKS with the bayonet still installed after 1989. C&R does not matter to me. what does matter is if my chinese SKS is legal with the bayonet installed. their is no way they can tell if it was imported off the rifle or instaslled on the rifle 25 years later.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Yugoslavian M59 and M59/66 are classified by the ATF as C&R and were not specifically banned in the 1989 importation ban. This is why they can have a bayonet.

Last edited by Lurch762; 09-28-2013 at 9:53 PM..
Old 09-28-2013, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

I believe that federally all SKS's are c&r, but leave it to California to screw that up for everyone. cryin' shame really, but I guess that's the price you pay for this great weather, pffffffft.
Old 09-28-2013, 2:36 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
I believe that federally all SKS's are c&r, but leave it to California to screw that up for everyone. cryin' shame really, but I guess that's the price you pay for this great weather, pffffffft.
California only uses the federal definition of C&R. Everything the feds say is C&R is also C&R in California. SKS's that are known to be over 50 years old are C&R. SKS's listed by name on the C&R list are also C&R.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 09-28-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I believe that federally all SKS's are c&r, but leave it to California to screw that up for everyone.
Federally, Romanians, Russians, and Albanian SKS rifles are specifically listed. The Yugo variants are also specifically listed.

Nothing from China is specifically listed, and nothing from China is verifiable as being manufactured 50+ years ago. Yes, we know that there are certain dating patterns. But the ATF has not specifically said that Chinese SKS rifles are C&R eligible.

The only caveat to that is the recent imports that were brought in as C&R because they were sitting whereverthehelltheyweresitting for +50 years. That does not mean that all SKS rifles are C&R and has nothing to do with California as stated in the post above.

This is an old post, but still maintains relevance until proven otherwise.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...?f=50&t=111997
Old 10-04-2013, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mievil View Post
Federally, Romanians, Russians, and Albanian SKS rifles are specifically listed. The Yugo variants are also specifically listed.

Nothing from China is specifically listed, and nothing from China is verifiable as being manufactured 50+ years ago. Yes, we know that there are certain dating patterns. But the ATF has not specifically said that Chinese SKS rifles are C&R eligible.

The only caveat to that is the recent imports that were brought in as C&R because they were sitting whereverthehelltheyweresitting for +50 years. That does not mean that all SKS rifles are C&R and has nothing to do with California as stated in the post above.

This is an old post, but still maintains relevance until proven otherwise.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...?f=50&t=111997
I don't know how the new chinese imports got there C&R status but it is not from the rifles being stored here for 50 years.There is rifles that have stock carvings that predate 1964.They are also to beat up to be used for a few years and then packed in cosmo and stored for 50 plus years.I think since they were not imported through china is how they git there C&R status.
Old 10-04-2013, 6:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
California only uses the federal definition of C&R. Everything the feds say is C&R is also C&R in California. SKS's that are known to be over 50 years old are C&R. SKS's listed by name on the C&R list are also C&R.
not so. the 50 year thing is a California perversion of the federal law. elsewhere there are many things that are c&r and nowhere close to 50 years old. handguns as well have NO c&r status in California. here it has to be 50 years or older, and a long gun. not that it matters, pretty soon we'll only be allowed muskets that have a minimum overall lenth of 72 inches and no evil features, like a trigger. ugh.
Old 10-04-2013, 1:04 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
not so. the 50 year thing is a California perversion of the federal law. elsewhere there are many things that are c&r and nowhere close to 50 years old. handguns as well have NO c&r status in California. here it has to be 50 years or older, and a long gun. not that it matters, pretty soon we'll only be allowed muskets that have a minimum overall lenth of 72 inches and no evil features, like a trigger. ugh.
You are confusing California's dealer transfer exemption with C&R status. They are two different things. Every single firearm that the feds consider C&R is also C&R in California. Doesn't matter how old they are. Doesn't matter if they are handguns, long guns, machine guns or short barreled rifles/shotguns. EVERYTHING the feds say is C&R is also C&R in California.

The fact that California bans certain C&R firearms or places additional restrictions/requirements on the transfer of certain C&R firearms doesn't mean those firearms aren't C&R firearms.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin