Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-29-2013, 4:13 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

My condolences sir.

I hope it's obvious that I'm not personally attacking you. It not, well I'll shut up too because that wasn't my intention.
Old 12-01-2013, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

It seems in the future that communication between cgn points of contact with campaigns and the NRA will be smoother. If a cgner has brought a candidate to the table that is pro 2A it doesn't take much to have a conversation with that candidate about NRA support.

This is not saying the NRA isn't on top of it but rather that if cgners would prefer to have confirmation that a candidate is or is not pursuing NRA support we will know. Thats not necessarily a deal breaker but it will prevent future monday quarterbacking. If the candidate desires the support then simply contact Paul or whomever he may refer to about support and keep the communication lines open. The NRA has a lot going on, let's do our part to help where we can.

It's understandable that people are frustrated by the outcome but let's remember we're all on the same side here.

Paul, my condolences on your loss.
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Old 12-02-2013, 5:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Recount!!

For Immediate Release
December 2, 2013

California Assembly candidate Susan Shelley requests recount, cites vote discrepancies

Statement of Susan Shelley on request for recount of November 19 election:

A thorough analysis of the reported and certified results of the November 19 special election shows an apparent discrepancy of 206 more votes counted in Los Angeles County than were available to count. I have asked officials at the County Registrar/Recorder’s office for an explanation of these numbers. They have been very helpful, however, questions still remain.

The deadline to request a recount is 5:00 p.m. today. At this time, I believe the discrepancy may be an indication of errors in the count. It may be that these questions will be cleared up quickly, but in an abundance of caution, I have asked for a recount.

The attached two-page summary lists the apparent vote discrepancies and includes a breakdown of the election results.

During my investigation of the election returns, I discovered that over 1,800 vote-by-mail ballots that were logged in as “returned” and included in the county’s vote-by-mail reports were actually undeliverable ballots that had been returned by the U.S. Postal Service. I believe this should be investigated further to see if this was the result of errors by the USPS or whether these voters should be removed from the voter rolls.

I would like to thank the officials and staff at the Los Angeles County Registrar/Recorder’s office for their assistance and professionalism throughout this process. I’d also like to thank Ellen Swensen and the team at the Election Integrity Project, a non-partisan, independent, citizen election oversight group, for their help in reviewing election data. Most of all, I would like to thank my supporters, volunteers, donors and especially the voters. They have forcefully demonstrated that political power belongs not to the people who hold it, but to the people who grant it.

###
We can choose the order in which we recount precincts. If you have concerns about any specific numbers that you saw in the Statement of Votes Cast, please e-mail me and let me know.

Thank you for your support!

Best,

Susan

Susan Shelley
Republican nominee for California Assembly, District 45
20121 Ventura Blvd., Suite 206
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
818-22-SUSAN
www.SusanShelley.com
"Friend" me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/susan.shelley.9
Campaign page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SusanShelleyForAssembly

P.S. Contributions can be made online here. Your support is greatly appreciated.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 12-02-2013, 7:10 PM
Veteran Member

Where's the attachments?

=8-)
Old 12-02-2013, 7:23 PM
Likes Puppy Chow or Ammo
CGN Contributor

@Cessna!

Those are some of the voters I know in the area! They vote by mail.
Old 12-02-2013, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
Where's the attachments?

=8-)
http://susanshelley.us7.list-manage1...b&e=bb69aedcbe

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

Well that's interesting.
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Old 12-03-2013, 8:04 AM

She should demand a recount.

Calguns Foundation contributor
Old 12-03-2013, 3:25 PM
Veteran Member

My brain says:

Challenge those provisional ballots with a magnifying lens...

...something tells me some folks voted twice - or were counted twice.

=8-)
Old 12-03-2013, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Well my area was solidly for Shelly. I hope something becomes of this.

I don't want that Jr gungrabber in the making putz representing me
Old 12-03-2013, 8:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Can't wait. No matter what the outcome so glad they are doing a recount.
Old 12-03-2013, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

One of you guys who helped out needs to call her and make it very clear - a body need to be on the ground at the Registrar of Voters office watching that recount like a hawk.

=8-)
Old 12-06-2013, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Latest from campaign......

Hi, everybody,

The recount of the extremely close special election in Assembly District 45 begins Monday! It's open to the public, and if you'd like to come and show your support, here's the info:

Monday, December 9
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder County Clerk
12400 Imperial Highway
Norwalk, CA

Here's the schedule:

8:30 a.m. - Briefing in Room 52E11A, on the fifth floor
9:15 a.m. (approximate) - Recount begins in room 5200
4:30 p.m. - (Approximate) Counting concludes for the day
4:45 p.m. - Susan Shelley will make a statement about the recount
There will be two fifteen minute breaks and a one-hour break for lunch.
(Video and audio recording are not permitted in the recount room.)

The cost of the recount is about $5,441 per day at a minimum, and we have some of it covered, but we need your help to be sure we have the resources to do a full recount if we find irregularities in the vote count. If we find reason to believe that the election results could possibly be overturned, we must pay for a full recount in order to have the election recertified. Please donate $20, $50, $100, $250 or whatever you feel you can give to help. If the recount reverses the outcome of the election, the county will refund the cost of the recount, and I'll refund your contribution to you. (This is a contribution to Susan Shelley for Assembly, 2013, subject to maximum contribution limits.) Donate online or send a check to Susan Shelley for Assembly, 20121 Ventura Blvd, Suite 206, Woodland Hills, CA 91364.

You're welcome to join me outside the Registrar/Recorder's offices at 4:45 p.m. to hear the results of the first day of the recount.

Thank you for your your support!

Best,

Susan

Susan Shelley
Republican nominee for California Assembly, District 45
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
818-22-SUSAN
www.SusanShelley.com
Campaign page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SusanShelleyForAssembly

P.S. Let's make sure that every vote counts. Please help us cover the costs of a full recount! Contributions can be made online here. Your support has made this campaign possible.

Contributions to Susan Shelley for Assembly are not tax deductible.

Paid for by Susan Shelley for Assembly, 2013
Committee ID 1358945
Woodland Hills, CA 91364

Copyright © 2013 Susan Shelley for Assembly, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this e-mail because you're a personal friend of Susan Shelley, or because you opted in at our website or otherwise asked to be "on the list" for communications from the Susan Shelley for Assembly campaign.
Our mailing address is:
Susan Shelley for Assembly
Woodland Hills, CA 91364

Old 12-07-2013, 3:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
One of you guys who helped out needs to call her and make it very clear - a body need to be on the ground at the Registrar of Voters office watching that recount like a hawk.

=8-)
Yep. ^ this.
Old 12-09-2013, 3:41 PM

Seems like she is there with bodies to watch over this.

Be interesting to see how things shape up but she may need some finances to be able to full investigate.
Old 12-09-2013, 4:33 PM
Veteran Member

KNPR just broadcasted a blurb about the recount!

Cited the recount was requested because there were 200 more votes counted then there had been to count!

Can't wait to hear the results!
Old 12-09-2013, 6:01 PM

Now I'm hearing news that Susan called off the recount????

What happened?!!?
Old 12-09-2013, 7:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Hi, everybody,

The recount is over. The counting confirmed the optical scanner totals. We counted twenty polling places and only two additional votes turned up. It wouldn't be productive to spend more money counting the rest.

Thank you for your support, your e-mails and calls, your enthusiasm, your donations, and your friendship. The press release is below.

Best,

Susan

For immediate release
December 9, 2013

California Assembly candidate Susan Shelley ends recount after manual tally confirms totals in 18 of 20 precincts recounted

Republican candidate Susan Shelley, who lost an extremely close race for a Los Angeles-area Assembly seat in a special election on November 19, ended a recount after one full day of counting mostly confirmed the official vote totals.

Los Angeles County workers manually tallied the votes from 20 of the 136 Los Angeles County precincts in six hours on Monday.

The recount did not address the questions raised earlier by Shelley about the number of ballots available to count. Working with the Election Integrity Project, Shelley found an apparent discrepancy of 206 more vote-by-mail ballots counted than were processed as countable.

Shelley, a Woodland Hills author of three books on the U.S. Constitution, was present at the recount along with observers from the Election Integrity Project, a non-partisan citizen volunteer organization. Joining Shelley at the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder County Clerk's offices were EIP President Linda Paine, Vice President Ruth Weiss, Chief Analyst Ellen Swensen, analyst Chuck Athas and observer Stan Huess.

Also present at the recount were Kurt Schroeder, a Republican Central Committee member from Assembly District 66, RIchard Hunter, chair of the Ballot Integrity Task Force, and three members of Shelley's team.

The votes from twenty polling places were recounted manually, resulting in one additional vote for Shelley in a Northridge precinct and one additional vote for Democrat Matt Dababneh at a polling place in Woodland Hills. Vote-by-mail ballots were manually counted for 18 of those twenty polling places, resulting in no change. The margin of victory in the election was 329 votes.

The recount was overseen by the Division Manager of Election Information, Alex Olvera, and the Assistant Division Manager, Laticia McCorkle. Five observers on behalf of Dababneh were also present.

In addition to the manual count of ballots, Shelley and the EIP team reviewed rosters from five polling places along with rejected vote-by-mail ballots, provisional ballot information and the original materials from ballots that were remade by county workers to make them machine-readable.

Shelley challenged the rejection of eight vote-by-mail ballots that were excluded for a signature that did not match the voter affidavit, but county officials rejected Shelley's contention that the signatures were similar enough to be from the same person across a span of decades.

"The recount today confirmed that the optical scanners tallied the votes correctly," Shelley said Monday night. "County officials have committed to continue to work with me to answer all unanswered questions. Voters should have confidence that every vote counts. We had a very close election in the 45th Assembly District, and I congratulate Matt Dababneh and wish him well."

Shelley's campaign supporters paid for the one-day recount.

###

For more information:

Susan Shelley
Republican candidate for California Assembly, District 45
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
Office: 818-22-SUSAN
Susan@SusanShelley.com
www.SusanShelley.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/susanshelleyforassembly
Facebook: www.facebook.com/susan.shelley.9

Old 12-09-2013, 8:50 PM

Well we did quite a bit a it showed. A good blueprint for upcoming elections.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:44 PM

May not be 100% related...

But I am holding my breathe, and wishful, for the expected voter backlash that will surely ensue over Obamacare during 2014.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Optical scanner recount?

Focus should have been on provisional ballots and mail-in's that came in the last few days with not a enough variation in signatures, addresses, etc.

=8-)
Old 12-10-2013, 1:03 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, so some votes had been rejected due to signatures not matching old affidavits? What is that? There seems to be murky waters around all this. Never heard of that before.

Was the recall halted because the campaign has to pay for it?

Btw, good job Shelley and her campaign for not giving up.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 PM

With all those dead republicans who are now voting democrat did you really think any of your votes actually counted?
Old 12-28-2013, 9:13 PM

You know what is really sad and awful about this is that the election was up for grabs. In my area of Woodland Hills I voted around 6:30 pm after work, out of all the hundreds, maybe thousands of eligible voters in my precinct I was voter number 59..... Do you know how sad that is ? All those potential votes for Susan and people couldnt be bothered to get up of their collective bottoms and go out and votes.

She lost by 200 odd votes, thats nothing in the grand scheme of things.
It makes me sad and mad. We could have broken the dems super majority but we are back to square one again. Sometimes I really hate this place !!!

Old 12-28-2013, 9:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Why did the democrat have so much more money than her?

Old 12-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Why did the democrat have so much more money than her?
Dablahblah had the whole Dem machine behind him and Shelley was grassroots.

Dont know how up to date and complete this is but it gets the point across:

Contributions to Dababneh For Assembly 2013

Contributions to Shelley For Assembly 2013

One thing i wonder is, now that Dabeblah knows how we almost derailed his designs of becoming a career taxpayer leech. Is he going to take a jab at the Dems favorite punching bag - the law abiding gun owner?

Maybe he will go full retard right out of the gate ala Rob Bonta
Old 12-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Why was the republican machine asleep at the wheel? I guess California is written off. This was a stupid loss for them. Fools.

Old 01-02-2014, 9:02 PM
CGN Contributor

I noticed on the contributions list for Shelley, there was a lady from Fresno that gave a good amount.
Her name Connie Conway, and she will be running for State Senator in 2018. I'm assuming, if she is
endorsing Shelley, she must have the same point of view. Maybe someone to keep an eye on.

USS Bristol County LST 1198
Attack Squadron Seven...Mission-Assault
Gator Navy
VFW
American Legion
NRA

Cat herding by appt. only.- The crazy cat man.

Last edited by katranch; 01-02-2014 at 9:12 PM..
Old 01-02-2014, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katranch View Post
I noticed on the contributions list for Shelley, there was a lady from Fresno that gave a good amount. Her name Connie Conway, and she will be running for State Senator in 2018. I'm assuming, if she is endorsing Shelley, she must have the same point of view. Maybe someone to keep an eye on.
November 2018 is a long ways off... almost five years away. Obama will be well into his third term by then...

Calguns Foundation contributor
Old 01-03-2014, 5:38 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
November 2018 is a long ways off... almost five years away. Obama will be well into his third term by then...
I disagree. By then, the concept of a presidential "term" will be thoughtcrime, as it implies the necessity of periodic reelection. In fact, the office will no longer be called the presidency due to the divine nature of his lifetime appointment to 'serve' as high prophet.

Reloading Clubs: SF, East Bay

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 AM

I want to reiterate that we need to look at what we were able to accomplish here as a model. Obviously from the news coverage of the election and everything else that happened, people on both side of the fence took notice. Maybe the NRA and Republican party didnt come out to actively support Susan, but looking at what WE as a community were able to do for a candidate, has opened some eyes. I would expect that if WE back more candidates in the same way we backed Susan, we'll see much more support from the big players.

I hate to draw parallels here but many people have written this state off. If you look at the American Revolution, we as a people had to prove ourselves to potential allies like the French before they would step in and help us. The same thing needs to happen here. Money is better spent places where they know it will make a dent, until we can prove that it will do something here they wont send a dime.
Old 01-04-2014, 5:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeon2whls View Post
I want to reiterate that we need to look at what we were able to accomplish here as a model. Obviously from the news coverage of the election and everything else that happened, people on both side of the fence took notice. Maybe the NRA and Republican party didnt come out to actively support Susan, but looking at what WE as a community were able to do for a candidate, has opened some eyes. I would expect that if WE back more candidates in the same way we backed Susan, we'll see much more support from the big players.

I hate to draw parallels here but many people have written this state off. If you look at the American Revolution, we as a people had to prove ourselves to potential allies like the French before they would step in and help us. The same thing needs to happen here. Money is better spent places where they know it will make a dent, until we can prove that it will do something here they wont send a dime.
there are posts on people buying new guns and posting pictures that will be on the internet forever. Too BAD INSTEAD OF BUYING UNNEEDED GUNS SENDING THE $$$$ TO PRO GUN CAUSES.
Old 01-05-2014, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
there are posts on people buying new guns and posting pictures that will be on the internet forever. Too BAD INSTEAD OF BUYING UNNEEDED GUNS SENDING THE $$$$ TO PRO GUN CAUSES.
There is no such thing as an unneeded gun.

Good point none the less. We all need to do more.
Old 01-09-2014, 5:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeon2whls View Post

Good concepts and yes you are correct !
Old 01-10-2014, 8:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'M IN!!!!

Last edited by jtfernandez213; 01-10-2014 at 8:11 PM..
Old 01-21-2014, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Default I pledge allegiance to the Democrat party and to the Agenda for which it stands

Quote:
Democrats boasted a two-thirds majority at the start of 2013, with a windfall of newly won seats allowing them to advance their agenda without Republican votes.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Thanks to 225,000 out of 250,000 registered voters not giving a crap, we get this.

Surely there were many times more gun owners, republicans, right leaning independents, property owners that should be interested in preventing new taxes and fees in that 225K than the mere 300some votes we needed to win.

Really unbelievable.
Old 01-21-2014, 4:49 PM

Disgusting.
Old 02-04-2014, 7:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Probably need a new sticky thread for the next election date.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Immediate Release
February 4, 2014

Republican Susan Shelley sets rematch, announces run for California Assembly

Author Susan Shelley, the Republican candidate who came within 329 votes of victory in the November special election in Assembly District 45 in the San Fernando Valley, announced today that she will run for the seat again.

"I'm pleased to announce the endorsement and support of the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association and Assembly Republican Leader Connie Conway in this important effort to stand up for ordinary Californians," Shelley said. "California's government is out of balance. We have one-party rule, controlled by special interests. Politicians who want to increase spending have a veto-proof majority to pass anything and hand the bill to taxpayers."

Last September, Shelley emerged from a crowded primary field to finish in the top two. She garnered 49.4 percent of the vote in the November run-off, 25 points over Republican registration and 14 points over the total ballots cast by registered Republicans, which was 35 percent of all ballots cast according to data from the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder.

"We demonstrated in November that the voters of the 45th Assembly District are tired of politicians who think tax increases are the solution to every problem," Shelley said. "Californians already pay far too much. I will stand up for taxpayers, I will fight for affordable energy and water for Valley residents, and I will always vote to protect Proposition 13."

###
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some additional information about the voter turnout, the final official results on November 19, and the turnout in past elections in the 45th Assembly District. A close look at the data shows how strong our campaign was -- at 49.4% of the vote we were 25 points above Republican registration and 14 points above the total number of ballots cast by registered Republicans, which was 35 percent in this election.

This time, we will win.

Thanks to your efforts and generous support, we were able to raise $100,000 in the 2013 campaign. This time, we need $250,000 to get our message out to the voters and to make sure we can respond to the attacks by our empty and frightened opponents. How frightened? Senate Democratic leader Darrell Steinberg reacted to our near-victory in the November 19 election by calling for an end to special elections in California.

That's what happens when entrenched politicians are confronted with the reality that voters are not happy with them. They try to get rid of the voters.

Here's a better idea. Let's make it clear that the people of California have had enough of wasteful spending, high taxes, and excessive regulation. Let's send a message, clear and loud. Let's raise the kind of money that will make Darrell Steinberg put his fist through drywall.

Tell your friends. Tell your neighbors. Tell your relatives.

Please give $20, $50, $75, $100, $250, or whatever you can afford. Ten dollars buys business cards. Two hundred dollars buys yard signs. Two thousand dollars buys TV commercials. With your help, our message will get to every voter in the district. With your support, we will make it clear that the people of California want a better future and are willing to fight for it, and win.

You can make a contribution on our secure website by clicking here, or send a check to:

Susan Shelley for Assembly, 2014
Woodland Hills, CA 91364

And here's a save-the-date note: Our next wine-tasting event is Wednesday, February 19, at 7:00 p.m. at Total Wine in Northridge. As always, we'll have sandwiches, soft drinks, a sampling of California wines, and a lot of great conversation. You can RSVP at this link.

Thank you for your calls and e-mails, for your support and good wishes. We're off and running.

Warm regards,

Susan

Susan Shelley for Assembly, 2014
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
818-22-SUSAN
www.SusanShelley.com

Old 02-04-2014, 8:21 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Probably need a new sticky thread for the next election date.......
... or update the title on this one.

Reloading Clubs: SF, East Bay

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 04-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

I have been starting to see new Susan Shelley signs going up around my area for the June 3rd primary election.

Time to get the word out again