Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach
Default Safes that are camoflaged as something else or hidden?

I need to get a larger safe within the next year. Currently, the only place to put a safe is in the garage (until my 25 yr old daughter gets married and moves out).

My dilemma is the garage is my man cave, where I hang out and watch MLB and NFL. I frequently leave the garage door open when I'm in there. So, I want a safe that doesn't look like a safe, or that look like something else. My thought was a safe that looks like a fridge. Does anyone make such a safe?

Any ideas?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 09-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Get an old fridge, remove the doors, hollow them out and attach them to your safe.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Build a wooden frame and cover it with plywood. I personally use the same box that the safe came in.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:24 PM

See the "gas pump" ??

Old 09-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Uh team... Thats cool and all... But delete that pic?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Calguns Addict

*****in garage.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Born and raised in California, but living in a slightly more free state now

http://bedgunsafe.com/
Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This!

I survived the great CG of 2015
Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 09-24-2013, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by team5150 View Post
See the "gas pump" ??

Now that's freaking cool! Can you show us the gas pump up close and opened up to reveal the safe?

The bed and couch safes, while cool, wont work in a garage setting. And neither appears to be a real safe. I want a true fire proof safe that's hidden. Not a cheap steel box that any thief could break into with a screwdriver or crowbar!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 09-24-2013, 1:15 PM

I can help out with the daughter situation, pops..
Old 09-24-2013, 1:21 PM

I just got my Sturdy bolted down yesterday and am in the same boat. I'm trying to find some type of refrigerator decal or magnet to disguise it. Might hit the local vinyl shops to see what they can do as well.
Old 09-24-2013, 1:33 PM

It's not a gun safe - it's a beer fridge but it COULD be anything.

Just throwing a thought out there.

The kits to make it look like that are on line. Just look up gas pump fridge.

http://www.dragraceresults.com/artic...-fuel_kit.html

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/too-64-4-21

Last edited by team5150; 09-24-2013 at 1:42 PM..
Old 09-25-2013, 3:58 AM
Veteran Member

Ooooohhhhhh. Okay thats okay. I actually know someone who made a cabinet out of a vintage coke vending machine.
Old 09-25-2013, 8:04 AM

OP - It's all about camouflage. My garage is my man cave and also a part time motorcycle shop. I have mine installed in such a way that it just blends in, and noone even notices it but the most observant people who are also gun owners.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 09-25-2013, 8:34 AM

used coke machine
Old 09-25-2013, 8:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-J View Post
OP - It's all about camouflage. My garage is my man cave and also a part time motorcycle shop. I have mine installed in such a way that it just blends in, and noone even notices it but the most observant people who are also gun owners.
Got a pic???
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 09-25-2013, 6:19 PM

I just hang a blandly colored, nondescript cloth over my safe and it pretty much disappears to the casual observer. It's not elegant but it's effective and inexpensive.
Old 09-25-2013, 6:24 PM
buns4life
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower View Post
used coke machine
Dunno about capacity...

Old 09-25-2013, 6:47 PM
9mm>.40
CGN Contributor

I'm going to make mine look like a port-a-potty.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 09-25-2013, 6:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns4life View Post
Dunno about capacity...
Is her capacity measured in Cokes or Cox?

I think he meant this kind of Coke machine...

Coke-Machine.jpg

LMAO!!!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:

Last edited by Darryl Licht; 09-25-2013 at 9:22 PM..
Old 09-25-2013, 6:55 PM

I'd want one of those but instead of a gas pump, have it look like a fridge.
Old 09-25-2013, 8:50 PM

"used coke machine" LOL I am LMAO!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2013, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns4life View Post
Dunno about capacity...
comedy!!!!
Old 09-25-2013, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

Bravo!!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:03 PM

Just a plain ole box store variety pre fab particle board cabinet. So many people have them in their garage, nobody would think twice.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:12 PM

Or the safe could just as easily be one of the white full length storage cabinets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team5150 View Post
It's not a gun safe - it's a beer fridge but it COULD be anything.

Just throwing a thought out there.

The kits to make it look like that are on line. Just look up gas pump fridge.

http://www.dragraceresults.com/artic...-fuel_kit.html

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/too-64-4-21

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 09-26-2013, 2:32 PM

my problem with a gun safe in the garage is that it took me about 2 weeks of having my safe in the garage to realize its probably not a good idea to have the safe that close to my plasma cutter, my welders and other various tools. I moved it into the house away from those tools.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
My dilemma is the garage is my man cave, where I hang out and watch MLB and NFL. I frequently leave the garage door open when I'm in there. So, I want a safe that doesn't look like a safe, or that look like something else. My thought was a safe that looks like a fridge.
My only concern with your plan is this: say you're hanging out in your garage with the door open and you're watching a game. A neighbor wanders by, sees the game on and stops to ask you about the score. You two start talking sports and next thing you know, he asks you if he can grab a beer or drink from the fridge...
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 09-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member

Or he jusy helps himself!
Old 09-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Calguns Addict

One way to disguise a safe in a garage is to place it in a corner against a wall that's common with the house, then frame a wall around it with 2x4's & sheet rock. Put a closet door with a basic key-lock door knob (no high-security locks). Put the following sign on the door: "Water Heater"

For added effect, get one of these water heater warning signs and stick it on the door:

(Of course, this idea only works if your water heater isn't already exposed in your garage.)
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveTPO View Post
I just hang a blandly colored, nondescript cloth over my safe and it pretty much disappears to the casual observer. It's not elegant but it's effective and inexpensive.
That's what I was thinking too. Maybe a tarp or some kind of banner to hang on the front so you won't notice it if the garage door is open and someone is walking by.
If not that, put a bunch of magnets or stickers on the front to conceal the brand name.
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 09-28-2013, 9:45 PM

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too. Maybe a tarp or some kind of banner to hang on the front so you won't notice it if the garage door is open and someone is walking by.
If not that, put a bunch of magnets or stickers on the front to conceal the brand name.
You will want to conceal not only the brand name, but any safe-like features in general. The dial or electric keypad for example, and the hand wheel or latch handle should also not be obvious.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5&G23 View Post
Ditto. An old mattress pad draped over it with some crap stacked on top - would like a fridge from a distance.
People generally don't drape blankets over operating refrigerators, and people generally don't bother to store refrigerators that are not operational. If it were me and I saw a large safe-sized object under a tarp or blanket, I'd assume it was a safe. I'm sure any thief with a little street-smarts would assume the same.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 PM

I just completed building a cabinet for my safe yesterday and now I can open up my garage door without the large cardboard covering the safe.

Last edited by U5512; 09-29-2013 at 4:05 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
I'm going to make mine look like a port-a-potty.
I was thinking it would be better not use a vintage coke machine or gas pump, thieves know their value. A port-a-potty would be great, lol.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 09-29-2013, 6:42 PM

Default Cool option

I installed an electronic RFID shotgun rack inside a closet. This thing is the fastest thing I could find balancing speed with security. I just hung a jacket over it and it looks like a coat rack! My shotgun is ready to go. The price is higher than other options but this thing is a tank! I was surprised to get more than I paid for.

Www.securerifle.com

The customer service was not bad either.

Last edited by Barking Iron; 09-29-2013 at 6:46 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I use magnets to hold up an American Flag on one safe and Stars and Bars on the other Then park a car in front of the whole business

"Everyone has two lives,the second one starts when you realize you only have one "

Last edited by thomashoward; 10-06-2013 at 6:41 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
use magnets to hold up an American Flag on one safe and Stars and Bars on the other
I was thinking of using a U.S. Flag to drape over it too haha. I have cleaning supplies on top of my safe so I could use that to anchor it.
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 09-30-2013, 1:11 PM

Quote:
People generally don't drape blankets over operating refrigerators, and people generally don't bother to store refrigerators that are not operational. If it were me and I saw a large safe-sized object under a tarp or blanket, I'd assume it was a safe. I'm sure any thief with a little street-smarts would assume the same.
The idea is not to make it look like something it isn't, rather it's just a way to hide the characteristics of a safe from the casual walker-by. You're right, a blanket over a safe will not dissuade a thief, it's only there to make sure he doesn't look twice as he's passing your open garage.
Old 09-30-2013, 3:33 PM

Grab a couple large moving boxes, cut the tops and bottoms and then place them over the safe in such a way that they just look like a couple moving boxes "stacked" on top of each other (the safe would be in the middle of them where you made the cut outs).

A fridge box is kinda a dead giveaway, putting them in an old water heater is an interesting idea but not fireproof...course you could just get a Snap-safe and bring the pieces up into your attic to assemble the safe in a spot that is structurally sound....