Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Default Desktop power supply dead, what brand to replace it with?

My desktop computer quit working, so I took it to the shop to get diagnosed. They traced the problem to a bad capacitor in the power supply.

Who makes the good power supplies these days? It's been a while since I assembled this.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:30 PM

Seasonic is still my go-to manufacturer for PSUs. Corsair is my occasional fallback, but their product line is a mix of platforms from several PSU manufacturers (CWT, Seasonic, and Flextronics depending on the model).

If there's a particular power supply that you have in mind, http://www.jonnyguru.com/ is the place to go for PSU reviews.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

PC Power & Cooling. Expensive but worth it. Higher quality components that won't fry your entire system if it dies.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I've used Corsair for a couple of builds with great results. They are well-made power supplies.

But before you replace yours, have you considered replacing the bad cap? It's probably an electrolytic capacitor that dried out. You can probably replace it for less than $2. I had a large Samsung flat panel display that suffered the same problem in its internal power supply. IIRC, 2 or 3 of the caps were bad, but I replaced them all (with better quality caps). I was able to save a good display for less than $10.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 09-23-2013, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

+1 on Corsair PSU's. Bought several to replace the PSU's on several friends computers and no issues. Depending on which friend I did the work for the computer is still running anywhere from as little as 6 months ago to as long as about 4 years.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

Old 09-23-2013, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

Spyguy, I know how to solder but I'm not sure which capacitor it is. I only know what they told me at the shop. How would I find out? What kind of equipment do I use to test these things?
Old 09-23-2013, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Thermaltake and a UPS (even a cheap one is better than none)... I personally have never had issues with PFC, or non-PFC power supplies on a simulated sine-wave UPS, but I hear this CAN cause issues. I have only had power supplies die if they were hand-me-downs from friends on city-power. Oh, and blow the dust out of them every year if you turn the computer off daily, or once every 3-6 months if you leave it on 24/7, depending on your dust-factor (live on a farm, etc)...

Most people who I have seen have blown, or leaking caps on their board, or power supply use straight city power(, aside from the Capacitor-plague).

If you can afford a pure sine-wave UPS, get one... I won't do it, until my main one dies.

Thermaltakes have 3-5 year warranty, on the only ones I have used.

Last edited by the86d; 09-23-2013 at 1:58 PM..
Old 09-23-2013, 1:58 PM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaded Claymore View Post
Spyguy, I know how to solder but I'm not sure which capacitor it is. I only know what they told me at the shop. How would I find out? What kind of equipment do I use to test these things?
Do a google search for "Electrolytic Capacitor" to see what it looks like.

As for repairing it, they are usually visible without any test equipment. Simply open it up ad look at the tops of the capacitors for splits. Do a search on google for images of failed electrolytic capacitors.

That said, it is best to just replace the power supply.

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Old 09-23-2013, 1:59 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyguy View Post
I've used Corsair for a couple of builds with great results. They are well-made power supplies.

But before you replace yours, have you considered replacing the bad cap? It's probably an electrolytic capacitor that dried out. You can probably replace it for less than $2. I had a large Samsung flat panel display that suffered the same problem in its internal power supply. IIRC, 2 or 3 of the caps were bad, but I replaced them all (with better quality caps). I was able to save a good display for less than $10.
I have done the same to two flat screen monitors and one large LCD televisions in the past couple of years.

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Old 09-23-2013, 2:08 PM
Calguns Addict

I have soldered new caps on motherboards and the others went bad.

Replace it.
Old 09-23-2013, 3:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I have soldered new caps on motherboards and the others went bad.

Replace it.
^^^^
THIS

To me a monitor is a different beast. I like my monitors and use them and I look at them and I depend on them.

I depend on my PSU also but it is either on or not. A PSU is NOT worth it to me to take apart and replace a single capacitor because there might also be other things that are bad or close to bad and will then break in a little longer as well.

For PSU, I just replace. I might replace a fan if that is the only thing I can tell is wrong (making the dust in the bearing noise or just gummed up and stopped).

I hear a lot about Seasonic and the PC Power and Cooling and I would consider one of them, but off the shelf I tend to grab Corsair or OCZ. I am running an OCZ in my game system, been running the 700W silencer now for over 4 years. No issues and it is firetruck red (cause firetruck red = performance...)

For a monitor I would consider a new power board from Fleabay or a new monitor that was used from Fleabay. They also sell kits of capacitors for certain models as well but I am not a veteran solderer so I will attempt to change out the jacked capacitors on a spare board only.
Old 09-23-2013, 3:04 PM

you'll be fine with any major well respected brand
seasonic or corsair would be my picks..I have a pc power and cooling which has outlived anything I've ever owned but I hear they got bought out by ocz (which is not a bad brand either)
Old 09-23-2013, 3:35 PM
Veteran Member

I like antec.
"I like to think there are three measures of a man: How much steak he can eat in one sitting, how full his mustache is and how quickly he can whittle a spear in the event of the apocalypse." - Ron Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ Kind
I believe if Jesus owned a sidearm he wouldn't have been crucified.
Old 09-23-2013, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

Corsair, Enermax, Antec, CoolerMaster ... computer power supplies are one of those things that you do truly get what you pay for. Anything around the $80 range for a 500W should be decent enough.
Old 09-23-2013, 3:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofrights View Post
PC Power & Cooling. Expensive but worth it. Higher quality components that won't fry your entire system if it dies.
^^^THIS^^^

Great PSU's... I've got several that are over 15 years old and still working! They are the Timex of PSU's!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 09-23-2013, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

15 years?

DAMN. Imma hafta have a closer look at them now. WOW. That is crazy.
Old 09-23-2013, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1911 View Post
I like antec.
Same here. I got started on Antecs after a Tom's Hardware power-supply torture test quite a few years back. Theirs were the only reasonably priced power supplies that actually met or exceeded all the voltage and current ratings advertised on the box. I use their Basiq series most of the time; good value for your buck. The quality continues to be up there, so far.

I've also heard good things about Thermaltake, but I haven't used one.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 09-23-2013, 9:38 PM

I wish I had spent the extra money for a modular or semi-modular power supply.
Old 09-23-2013, 9:44 PM
Veteran Member

Corsair is the way to go for PSUs.
Old 09-23-2013, 9:49 PM
Calguns Addict

All 4-5 stars (out of 5) and less than $50

http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...a-Micro-Center

750w for half off (Reg $75 now $39), 5 stars. Dont know how well the brand is made but it sounds good and has good features with 100,000 hour projected life and crossfire ready

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...X_Power_Supply

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.

Last edited by blazeaglory; 09-23-2013 at 9:53 PM..
Old 09-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Deemed Irrelevant
CGN Contributor

Is it a high-end gaming or PhotoShop PC or just an average web-surfer?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 PM

Default Corsair CX430

Quote:
My desktop computer quit working, so I took it to the shop to get diagnosed. They traced the problem to a bad capacitor in the power supply.

Who makes the good power supplies these days? It's been a while since I assembled this.
I have in stock Brand New In the Box: Open for trade.
Corsair CX430

Last edited by Clever; 09-23-2013 at 11:52 PM..
Old 09-24-2013, 7:15 AM
Calguns Addict

I personally had bad luck with OCZ RAM, and they exchanged it for more bad OCZ RAM. I will never buy their products again, but that is just me.
Old 09-24-2013, 7:24 AM

Default OCZ

Quote:
I personally had bad luck with OCZ RAM, and they exchanged it for more bad OCZ RAM. I will never buy their products again, but that is just me.
I couldn't agree more. I have 5000 pieces and need to run Hiren V.15 to make sure they work. 80% failure!! I will never do business with them.
Old 09-24-2013, 7:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever View Post
I couldn't agree more. I have 5000 pieces and need to run Hiren V.15 to make sure they work. 80% failure!! I will never do business with them.
As I was... It isn't just me!

Were they DDR3 with a gold heat-sink?

I have never use the Hiren ISO for anything yet... is it quicker than booting to a Linux distro that has "Memtest*" in the boot options, or M$' Memtest ISO?

Last edited by the86d; 09-24-2013 at 7:39 AM..
Old 09-24-2013, 7:49 AM

Best way to replace any broken PC part, is to replace it with an iMac.
Old 09-24-2013, 8:45 AM
CGN Contributor

^^^ That is like buying a Yugo to replace your Corvette that got a flat tire.

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Old 09-24-2013, 8:46 AM

Default Ram

Quote:
As I was... It isn't just me!

Were they DDR3 with a gold heat-sink?

I have never use the Hiren ISO for anything yet... is it quicker than booting to a Linux distro that has "Memtest*" in the boot options, or M$' Memtest ISO?
No its not just you. I am stuck with them (DDR2 and DDR3 Gold heat sink). I own a DVR repair company, When we swap out the MOBO the Ram just acts up. Hiren helps but at such a high failure rate it is just not worth the effort.
Old 09-24-2013, 2:58 PM

Quote:

Wow...what shop was this? Tracing down to a bad capacitor? Most places would just call you and say bad power supply.

I have Corsairs and they are great. I've also used Antec and Cooler Master and haven't had any of them fail yet.

Unless you know your way around working with electronics down to the component level, like everyone is saying it will probably be easier to just swap out the bad power supply. Your time is money as well so factor that in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
^^^ That is like buying a Yugo to replace your Corvette that got a flat tire.
LMAO!!! That is so awesome! Love this analogy to the guy saying replace it with a Mac!!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

I've had CoolerMaster, Corsair, Thermaltake, Raid Max, and assorted no name. The only PSU I've had die on me was a Thermaltake but that was after 4 years of heavy use. Any major brand should be fine. I suggest a modular unit for easier cable management.
Old 09-24-2013, 4:28 PM

i just use something thats on sale at fry's. i've personally had the same psu for 15+ years now.
Old 09-24-2013, 9:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Corsair. I'm writing this on one that's been powering this old desktop
for 6 years going on 7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139010

Last edited by bg; 09-24-2013 at 9:26 PM..
Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 PM

I also agree with seasonic modular power supply. I have a fanless one that is about 400w that is pretty awesome running 24/7.

Getting another power supply, yeah it will be another seasonic, 800w minimum for my ASIC mining box.

When i got my first seasonic, was just pleasantly surprised a company puts a lot of thought into the packaging of their product. People say good things bout the corsair and coolermaster ones as well.