Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-22-2013, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Why no class action suit against California for DROS fees?

In the past week, I jailed three long guns. Because of politics-driven shortages, it was impossible for me to find the three firearms I wanted at a single dealer, so that means I had to complete three separate DROS forms and pay the damn $25 fee three times.

Everyone knows this is a scam and the DOJ is raking in a HUGE profit from DROS fees. They've already admitted it when they said they are going to use the millions in surpluses to fund their newly created disarmament activities. The reality is, there should be no fee attached to the DROS. Otherwise, how is it different than a poll tax? The state literally spends billions on all kinds of nonsense BS like entitlements for illegal alien law breakers, multilingual ballots for citizens who supposedly all speak English, all kinds of homosexual activism and promotion, and other nonsense, waste, fraud, and abuse. But WE lawful firearms owners have to pay an outrageously high fee every time we purchase a gun, even though it only costs a fraction of a cent for them to execute an automated database query. At the very least, it should have been a refundable deposit contingent upon you passing the check: if you pass, you get your deposit refunded; if you fail you forfeit your deposit as a fee.

But the bottom line is, even given that the state has determined that we have to fund the DROS process, how can the state be allowed to profit from it?
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 09-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

I think this is the least of our worries at this point.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Lawsuits against DROS fees have been filed and have been in the works for a while.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyguy View Post
But the bottom line is, even given that the state has determined that we have to fund the DROS process, how can the state be allowed to profit from it?
Because they are our lords and masters now. Forward to the future, comrades!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
I think this is the least of our worries at this point.
Every infringement is an infringement. Besides, defunding the government is one of the most effective means of reigning in its power.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRangel View Post
Lawsuits against DROS fees have been filed and have been in the works for a while.
My understanding is that lawsuit is about unjust delays in the DROS process beyond 10 days (which should be entirely unrelated anyway: the DROS should be instantaneous; the 10-day waiting period was supposedly for "cooling off"). Does that lawsuit also address the problem of excessive DROS fees and the government pocketing that surplus?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 PM

This is the case challenging the DROS fees:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=817772
Old 09-22-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonfort View Post
This is the case challenging the DROS fees:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=817772
I understand that the legal system acts in geologic time scales, but... that suit was filed 2 years ago. How long do these things take?

So many pending lawsuits, so few decisions. And even fewer favorable ones in this jurisdiction.
There are certain rights that are not to be subject to popular votes, otherwise they are not fundamental rights. If every fundamental liberty can be stripped away by a majority vote, then it's not a fundamental liberty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyhog
When the governor vetoes a bill that would make it a felony to steal a gun, but signs a bill into law that makes it a felony not to register a gun you already legally own, you know something isn't right.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody_special View Post
I understand that the legal system acts in geologic time scales, but... that suit was filed 2 years ago. How long do these things take?

So many pending lawsuits, so few decisions. And even fewer favorable ones in this jurisdiction.
I believe there are threads in the Legal forum discussing all the pending cases. Might want to take a gander over there.
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Old 09-23-2013, 7:36 AM

I read the linked thread but it didn't have any real information aside from a link to the initial press release, 2 years ago.
Old 09-23-2013, 3:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My understanding is that lawsuit is about unjust delays in the DROS process beyond 10 days (which should be entirely unrelated anyway: the DROS should be instantaneous; the 10-day waiting period was supposedly for "cooling off"). Does that lawsuit also address the problem of excessive DROS fees and the government pocketing that surplus?
Sorry about that. I had both links and posted the wrong one. Meant to post this. The same case is already posted.
Old 09-23-2013, 4:06 PM

Quote:
In the past week, I jailed three long guns. Because of politics-driven shortages, it was impossible for me to find the three firearms I wanted at a single dealer, so that means I had to complete three separate DROS forms and pay the damn $25 fee three times.

Everyone knows this is a scam and the DOJ is raking in a HUGE profit from DROS fees. They've already admitted it when they said they are going to use the millions in surpluses to fund their newly created disarmament activities. The reality is, there should be no fee attached to the DROS. Otherwise, how is it different than a poll tax? The state literally spends billions on all kinds of nonsense BS like entitlements for illegal alien law breakers, multilingual ballots for citizens who supposedly all speak English, all kinds of homosexual activism and promotion, and other nonsense, waste, fraud, and abuse. But WE lawful firearms owners have to pay an outrageously high fee every time we purchase a gun, even though it only costs a fraction of a cent for them to execute an automated database query. At the very least, it should have been a refundable deposit contingent upon you passing the check: if you pass, you get your deposit refunded; if you fail you forfeit your deposit as a fee.

They are looking to redirect more savings from DROS to APPS TOMORROW, and officially put into practice that anything but "approved" after ten day wait = no firearm. See this link and email your disgust:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=827663
Madison Society Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 09-24-2013, 3:25 AM

I will mail out a check of 100 dollars to Calguns Foundation this week.

This is better than NRA which appearently has abandoned California.

Organizations filing law suits in court for gun owners deserve my money and yours too
Old 09-24-2013, 6:49 AM

Who created the DROS fee? Wasn't that something we got from Bush Sr.?
Old 09-24-2013, 9:15 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Who created the DROS fee? Wasn't that something we got from Bush Sr.?
No.

DROS - Dealer's Record Of Sale - is a California thing, and has has been in place here in some form since 1924.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
No.

DROS - Dealer's Record Of Sale - is a California thing, and has has been in place here in some form since 1924.
Thanks for the correction.