Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-17-2016, 8:06 AM

Default LibreOffice vs MS Office

I would like to suggest a bit of an odd strategy that we can use to help slightly de-fund some of the more ardent anti - Rights of the Individuals donors out there.

"Promote the use of LibreOffice at your company as a way to reduce costs vs the company continuing to pay for MS Office."

Here is the logic behind what might seem like a mental disconnect:

- 3 of the largest donors to the anti-gun movement have been MS made billionaires, Gates, Allen, and Balmer. This is especially true in the recent WA state problems.
- As long as people keep buying their software, more or less, we are helping to fund a group of mega donors that are directly against what we are trying to accomplish in retaining our constitutional rights.
- While MS is best known for Win OS, their big money makers are the MS Office suite, and Server software and services.

I don't have an axe to grind against MS in general, but I am not going to help fund people with such directly different views of how people run their personal lives.

How to avoid buying MS Office:

- LibreOffice was developed as an open source, free to use, alternative to MS Office
- Contributors to the development included IBM and a lot of other companies and people who didn't want to be tied to any one company or operating system

I have converted my own small company to 100% LibreOffice. It works, and I use it every day to produce and read files generated by my clients and customers that are using MS Office. It can do virtually anything that MS Office can do. The difference is, it is free. You are of course welcome to make donations to the group that keeps it all going, similar to how this web site is operated.

It might seem like a small item in a company, but it costs at least $100 / year to keep MS office licensed in a company, and single copies of the full pro version are around $400. That is a big chunk of the cost of a modern computer.

Perhaps that is enough to get your CFO to think about such a transition. Personally, I would avoid bringing up the second amendments rights aspect in your company though, as their could be people who under cut your efforts for personal political reasons.

Give it a thought.

Harry
Old 02-17-2016, 8:35 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm all for marginalizing any company that back Anti-2nd Amendment causes, and even better if such a swap to other services are with a company that supports 2nd Amendment rights.

The only problem I see is that these guys - Gates, Allen, and Balmer - no longer are earning their predominant income from things related to Microsoft. They are so diversified and broadly invested in so many other areas and industries, that doing the above will have no impact on their personal income.

If you wanted to attack these guys personally along with their cash-flow, you would be better off spending money on research to root around in their closets for skeletons; afterall, it has worked well on Eliot Spitzer and Leland Yee. Bill Cosby is not too happy about such things either.

I would love to see Soros or Bloomberg taken down in the same manner; these guys are likely crooked to the core, but they've got gobs of money to pay people off to stay quiet, look the other way, settle big, or simply degrade anyone's claims with high-priced teams of attorneys.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 02-17-2016, 8:41 AM

I've been using libre office for a couple of years on a linux mint OS, and I haven't found anything not to like about it
Old 02-17-2016, 8:46 AM
Wikipidiot
CGN Contributor

If I could figure out how to use R1 addressing in the spreadsheet I'd have no reason to complain.
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
We have the time and the hammers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown
Study and learn our history and law as it is -- not as you would like it to be.
Old 02-17-2016, 9:04 AM
membrum ex machina
CGN Contributor

I have taken windows off both my home machines and replaced it entirely with freeware, including LibreOffice. There is great software and great people who support it out there.

Sent from a remote location
Mark 16:16
Old 02-18-2016, 8:50 AM

All hail Linux Mint!
Old 02-18-2016, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gleam View Post
I'm all for marginalizing any company that back Anti-2nd Amendment causes, and even better if such a swap to other services are with a company that supports 2nd Amendment rights.

The only problem I see is that these guys - Gates, Allen, and Balmer - no longer are earning their predominant income from things related to Microsoft. They are so diversified and broadly invested in so many other areas and industries, that doing the above will have no impact on their personal income.

If you wanted to attack these guys personally along with their cash-flow, you would be better off spending money on research to root around in their closets for skeletons; afterall, it has worked well on Eliot Spitzer and Leland Yee. Bill Cosby is not too happy about such things either.

I would love to see Soros or Bloomberg taken down in the same manner; these guys are likely crooked to the core, but they've got gobs of money to pay people off to stay quiet, look the other way, settle big, or simply degrade anyone's claims with high-priced teams of attorneys.
Hi, I don't have any disagreement with what you are saying in general, but what I am suggesting for this very narrow project, is slightly different:

- The ex MS guys still hold a lot of MS stock in their portfolio. They are very dependent on the price of MS shares as part of their overall capability to make political cause donations.
- This approach does not require anyone to spend any money at all - it saves people money.
- The idea of switching to LibreOffice at your employer does not require them to accept anyone else's political views. It can save your company money, so this idea can be sold to management entirely on a "financial savings" basis. This will make it a lot easier than saying "you should switch because MS managers don't like guns".
- If everyone who is a calguns forum, NRA, and GOA were to quietly, but actively promote this idea, it will start to build up a momentum. Momentum like this could have quite an impact on MS Office use, and the stock price of MS.
- Most people who read one internet forum, also read others. If we start also posting on these other internet forums, facebook, etc, about the idea of "moving to LibreOffice because it works so well and saves so much money", it has the potential to create a much larger effect.

LibreOffice works on Mac, Win, and Linux OS platforms, and is quite mature now. This makes is a good target application for moving into a significant size corporation.

Harry
Old 02-18-2016, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
Hi, I don't have any disagreement with what you are saying in general, but what I am suggesting for this very narrow project, is slightly different:

- The ex MS guys still hold a lot of MS stock in their portfolio. They are very dependent on the price of MS shares as part of their overall capability to make political cause donations.

- This approach does not require anyone to spend any money at all - it saves people money.

- The idea of switching to LibreOffice at your employer does not require them to accept anyone else's political views. It can save your company money, so this idea can be sold to management entirely on a "financial savings" basis. This will make it a lot easier than saying "you should switch because MS managers don't like guns".

- If everyone who is a calguns forum, NRA, and GOA were to quietly, but actively promote this idea, it will start to build up a momentum. Momentum like this could have quite an impact on MS Office use, and the stock price of MS.

- Most people who read one internet forum, also read others. If we start also posting on these other internet forums, facebook, etc, about the idea of "moving to LibreOffice because it works so well and saves so much money", it has the potential to create a much larger effect.

LibreOffice works on Mac, Win, and Linux OS platforms, and is quite mature now. This makes is a good target application for moving into a significant size corporation.

Harry
Don't get me wrong - I think it was a great suggestion. I guess I was adding something ADDITIONAL we should considert and didn't qualify it. ( I would love to take these few people that are running are country like Kings behind the scenes down to size on a personal level).

Your sugggestion above opened my eyes to something I knew nothing about and I'm looking into it, especially with the postive replies above.

For that, I thank you for the advice!
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 02-18-2016, 5:05 PM

For a small business, you might make the claim that it would save money....

Until you looked at the total cost of conversion. At this point, MS Office is pretty much what everyone knows how to use. If you make the swap, you will have to test the compatibility of any application that is integrated with any of the MS Office apps, you will have to spend the money to uninstall MS Office and install Libre Office. You will have the cost of lost productivity as people try to figure out what feature "X" is named and what menu it exists in.

The actual cost to implement this app suite will be substantial in any medium to large business.

BTW, full disclosure requires me to admit that I use Libre Office on all my computers. It also requires me to admit that I was in IT for 32 years and had to consider the points made above and many others when recommending a software or hardware solution to my customers. Often the cost of the purchase was a miniscule part of the actual implementation.
Old 02-19-2016, 3:06 AM

I use LibreOffice, whihc used to be OpenOffice.

FrankMo
Old 02-19-2016, 3:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Sorry, I misread you thread title.

I couldn't figure out

vs msoffice.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 02-19-2016, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androsynth View Post
All hail Linux Mint!
Mint really surprised me. I run it on one of my laptops. Has been very stable and as mentioned above LibreOffice seems pretty solid as well.
Old 02-19-2016, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iktomi View Post
I've been using libre office for a couple of years on a linux mint OS, and I haven't found anything not to like about it
Same here. I built two computers for my two kids and one for myself and set all three of them up with Linux Mint OS and Libre Office a couple of years back. Although the computers are a bit dated now, they are still running strong. Kids still do homework on them without any issue and I use mine for everything (work, play, finances, etc.).

I put together one for my wife too, but she wanted to stick with Windows 7. Aside from that, the hardware is exactly the same. After a long period of sound problems and the occasional BSOD, she finally relented last year and had me transition her to Linux Mint OS and Libre Office. She has not complained since. Sound just works now and no BSOD.

Unfortunately, we still end up paying M$, but indirectly, since they purchased Mojang. The whole family plays Minecraft.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...for-25-billion
Old 02-19-2016, 1:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This really belongs in the Tech/ Internet forum, it's not a CA 2A issue.
Old 02-19-2016, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofrights View Post
This really belongs in the Tech/ Internet forum, it's not a CA 2A issue.
Actually, please keep this thread here. This is about a strategy to weaken the donations and cash flow of people who oppose 2nd amendment rights.

In this thread, we are developing a method to do this and I have some more ideas that I will be contributing in the next few weeks. It is a little bit different than the more conventional approaches, but it might actually help more than you think.
Old 02-19-2016, 3:43 PM

Don't do it.

You'll just look stupid.

Your CEO won't give even 1/2 a sh*t. You may be disturbed to find out that the CEO probably doesn't even know who you are.

The company IT director will laugh in your face. No IT manager worth hiring will drop a software suite that is in common usage to support some boutique package that happens to align with your political choices.

Corporate reality.

Edit: IBM? Sore loser. Not your friend.