Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-20-2013, 4:23 PM

Default So, Walked Into My LGS... and Bagged an SKS! (pics added)

I could't believe my luck when I found a nice Chicom SKS for sale in my local gun store. I live in the Santa Barbara area and dropped by Goleta Valley Gun & Supply, and there she was -- a Chinese SKS. I have been looking for an SKS for a couple of months, but never thought I'd find one locally.

Details: It looks like a factory 26 (stamped with triangle) rifle with a four digit serial number starting with the letter "E" (E4764). The bore is bright and shiny, and the stock is in very good condition. All serial numbers match. I paid $395.00... tell me I got a fair deal.

Can anyone help me identify the year of this rifle? Is this a Sino-Soviet rifle? I will post pics after I get her out of jail. Oh, and she has copious amounts of cosmo on the receiver and in the chamber.

FYI: Rick at Goleta Valley Gun & Supply said he would be getting more SKS rifles in the near future. I also saw a very nice Mosin 91/30 for sale... think he's asking $169.00, don't hold me to the price... I was so excited to get my SKS, I can't remember the exact price.

Last edited by DirtyRussianAmmo; 10-01-2013 at 2:24 PM..
Old 09-20-2013, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

Any other C&R's? Mausers?

Antiques?

BTW, nice catch. Rick sold me my Winchester 1917 for a good price.

Sad that I couldn't get him to go down in price on that 1873 Trapdoor carbine that had been refinished.
Old 09-20-2013, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdawg View Post
Any other C&R's? Mausers?

Antiques?

BTW, nice catch. Rick sold me my Winchester 1917 for a good price.

Sad that I couldn't get him to go down in price on that 1873 Trapdoor carbine that had been refinished.
The Mosin was the only C&R I really paid attention to... could've been more gold there, but after I got my hands on the SKS, tunnel vision set in.
Old 09-20-2013, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

not bad!
Old 09-20-2013, 5:04 PM

Actually, I was in the store earlier today when I heard Rick get a call on the phone asking about SKSs and he mentioned he had a Chinese one in stock. That was probably you, OP!

Emdawg: he had some Mausers - one was an RC "ar" code that was kinda overpriced at 600. He had another 98k at 800 IIRC, and a Yugo M48 but I didn't inquire to the price since I'm not that interested in the Yugos at this point. He had some sporterized Enfields too, but for me, sporterized = ignore. I also checked out Dodge City and they let me preview their up and coming gun store but nothing of real import either. They have a Garand but likely overpriced to the CMP as all gun store Garands are.
Old 09-20-2013, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
Actually, I was in the store earlier today when I heard Rick get a call on the phone asking about SKSs and he mentioned he had a Chinese one in stock. That was probably you, OP!

Emdawg: he had some Mausers - one was an RC "ar" code that was kinda overpriced at 600. He had another 98k at 800 IIRC, and a Yugo M48 but I didn't inquire to the price since I'm not that interested in the Yugos at this point. He had some sporterized Enfields too, but for me, sporterized = ignore. I also checked out Dodge City and they let me preview their up and coming gun store but nothing of real import either. They have a Garand but likely overpriced to the CMP as all gun store Garands are.
LOL, that WAS probably me. I was looking at another SKS that was for sale up north... seller only wanted to do an FFL transfer, I called to see what the fee was for a private transfer, that's when Rick said he had a couple of SKS rifle for sale. Turned out, he only had one for sale, guess who bought it
Old 09-20-2013, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

The price on ammo is still coming down but has now reached reasonable levels.

You can afford to go shoot it a bunch and have some fun with it.
Old 09-20-2013, 6:52 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

$395.00 is a bit high for a Sino Soviet but by the time you add in shipping, transfer fees, DROS, etc. you did fine. You must post many pictures of it when it comes home.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading

Last edited by Capybara; 09-20-2013 at 8:04 PM..
Old 09-20-2013, 7:00 PM

It is a scarce and desirable, first year, first production, Sino-Soviet SKS, and $395 is a sweet deal on it.
Old 09-20-2013, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
It is a scarce and desirable, first year, first production, Sino-Soviet SKS, and $395 is a sweet deal on it.
Very cool! Thank you for supplying the rifle's pedigree. This was my first C&R purchase, lol. Hey, even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while.
Old 09-20-2013, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
$395.00 is a bit high for a Sino Soviet but by the time you add in shipping, transfer fees, DROS, etc. you did fine. You must many pictures of it when it comes home.
Will do, sir.
Old 09-20-2013, 8:06 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
Ahh, I was basing that off of my three Classic Sino Soviets that were $339.00 for matching. But all of those extra fees would take it above $395.00 if he didn't have his FFL03,

So you can tell from his serial which year of production? Interesting, I thought all of the Chinese SKS dates were sort of unsure. Thanks for the tips Marcus.

Old 09-20-2013, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Congrats OP, you'll love shooting your SKS. The are great rifles, fun to shoot and will eat anything you feed it. If you have restrictions on steel bullets at your range, Prvi Partizan makes great ammo and its usually the best price for the types that don't attract a magnet. Their brass is good too so save your cases and you can reload them.
Old 09-21-2013, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield47 View Post
Congrats OP, you'll love shooting your SKS. The are great rifles, fun to shoot and will eat anything you feed it. If you have restrictions on steel bullets at your range, Prvi Partizan makes great ammo and its usually the best price for the types that don't attract a magnet. Their brass is good too so save your cases and you can reload them.
Thanks! Can't wait to get it cleaned up and go shoot it. Luckily my range, Winchester Canyon Gun Club, allows steel, but thanks for the Privi Partizan tip.

Here a good deal on Tula 7.62x39 for anyone that needs to stock up:
http://www.laxammo.com/ammunition/7.62x39-ammo/52
Old 09-21-2013, 2:11 PM

Quote:
So you can tell from his serial which year of production? Interesting, I thought all of the Chinese SKS dates were sort of unsure. Thanks for the tips Marcus.
I believe they call these chicoms as "ghost rifles" since they don't follow the chicom numbering. Supposedly they were made from remaining Russian parts. I could be wrong so I'm sure Marcus could point that out.
Old 10-01-2013, 2:24 PM

Just got my SKS out of jail, still full of cosmoline. Here are a couple of photos. This is NOT a numbers matching rifle, not even close. Noob false alarm, sorry about that. Besides that, I'm thrilled to have the rifle, can't wait to clean it up and shoot it.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Last edited by DirtyRussianAmmo; 10-01-2013 at 2:33 PM..
Old 10-01-2013, 2:36 PM
Veteran Member

still nice!
Old 10-01-2013, 3:11 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Beautiful, I like it! Looks cleaner and a bit nicer than my Sino Soviets. You did well, come shoot it at the Glass Factory once we open back up.

Old 10-01-2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOAR79 View Post
still nice!
Thanks.
Old 10-01-2013, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Beautiful, I like it! Looks cleaner and a bit nicer than my Sino Soviets. You did well, come shoot it at the Glass Factory once we open back up.
Thanks. That sounds like a plan.