Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-18-2013, 6:44 PM

Default M96 feeding problems!

hey guys, I just got my first M96 Swede. After lovingly removing all of her cosmo and admiring all her lines and curves, I loaded up some rounds for this weekend using PPU brass, and Hornady 140gr SST's loaded to manual recommended length of 2.905"

While checking to make sure my rounds would chamber ok I discovered that they dont seem to like being fed from the magazine. when stripping the round out of the magazine, the rim of the case binds on the face of the bolt, preventing the round from aligning to the chamber, creating the issue. If not fed from the magazine, they chamber and eject without problem.

I tried my google-fu on this and turned up only a few related discussions on mausers of all types seeming to have this issue, but no solutions.

Has anyone encountered this with their swede, or other mauser that has found a solution? Any input on fixing this is MUCH appreciated!
Old 09-18-2013, 6:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Im not sure. I bet a dremmel will fix it.
Old 09-18-2013, 6:57 PM

Check the extractor for burrs, deformities, etc
There could also be an issue with the follower spring.

Rb.
Old 09-18-2013, 7:07 PM

In addition the what Rustybore mentioned regarding extractor and follower spring issues, I would also check the follower itself. Make sure that the cases are pushed against the back of the magazine and not pushed forward.

When the bolt strips off a round from the magazine, the rim of the case will slide into the space between the extractor and bolt face on its way to battery.

Some extractors will not ride over the rim of the case if you manually feed a round into the chamber but will work fine from the magazine. A little metal removal from the front of the extractor to change the angle usually fix this.

Since your location is top secret, I could not help you out in person. I have spare parts including extractors and bolts that I could help you diagnose your issues but not knowing where you are, I can't help you.

Last edited by pro-nra; 09-18-2013 at 7:10 PM..
Old 09-18-2013, 7:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've noticed a lot of irregularity with the rims on Swede cases... not so much with the PPU you are using but the Remington cases I have tried are almost impossible to get into a shell holder. I wonder if it would make any difference to try some Norma or Lapua? That's all I use anymore

Err... I do have some Nosler too, and that is nice brass as well.
Old 09-18-2013, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

It's a common problem with controlled feed Mausers, and compounded using Privi brass. The bottom edge of the extractor needs a bevel stoned on it to fix the feeding issue. The claw of the extractor needs to be stoned to match the groove and angle, of the extractor groove on the Privi brass.
Remove the bolt and separate the shroud/firing pin assembly. Take a round and slide it under the extractor into position on the bolt face. It should slide in with very little resistance, and hold a loaded cartridge firmly.
Unless you have a box full of spare extractors, don't be lazy and try to use a Dremel. Use a fine grit stone, or a piece of 240 grit wet or dry sandpaper wrapped around a wood dowel. Go slow, sand, try, and repeat if needed. It's easier to remove metal from an extractor than it is to replace it.
Old 09-18-2013, 7:36 PM

PRO-NRA, you kill me sometimes, lol. Im down in socal, I've bought 4 pounds of powder off you. I will check all these things you guys mentioned and get back to you, I would REALLY hate to have to take a dremel to the backside of the extractor, even if I'm the only one who will ever know.
Old 09-18-2013, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky_0811 View Post
PRO-NRA, you kill me sometimes, lol. Im down in socal, I've bought 4 pounds of powder off you. I will check all these things you guys mentioned and get back to you, I would REALLY hate to have to take a dremel to the backside of the extractor, even if I'm the only one who will ever know.
The only spot on the backside of the hook you want to mess with is that bottom edge where the rim first contacts, and no more than 2-3mm of it.
For all the ammo companies that load the Swede ammo, seems none get the SAMMI case specs right, on rim thickness and groove angle. "Tuning" your extractor to the brass you use, will extend the life of both.

Old 09-18-2013, 8:06 PM

trap thats some good information, thanks for the diagram! I just finished doing some trial and error testing with an unprimed dummy. the clearance between the rim and the extractor hook is fine. It does appear that there is a tad too much spring tension (probably caused by out of spec brass). and it also appears that by removing a hair of material, as suggested by you fine folks, would do the trick. I'll hit it with some wet 400 grit tomorrow and get back to you all.

Thanks for all the wisdom!

Last edited by ducky_0811; 09-18-2013 at 8:12 PM..
Old 09-18-2013, 8:11 PM

ducky_0811, sorry I could not remember user name. PM me your address and I'll mail you a good extractor, a Norma and Lapua full sized dummy round for your to try in your rifle. I bet they will work.
Old 09-18-2013, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-nra View Post
ducky_0811, sorry I could not remember user name. PM me your address and I'll mail you a good extractor, a Norma and Lapua full sized dummy round for your to try in your rifle. I bet they will work.
PM sent!
Old 09-18-2013, 9:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
hey guys, I just got my first M96 Swede. After lovingly removing all of her cosmo and admiring all her lines and curves, I loaded up some rounds for this weekend using PPU brass, and Hornady 140gr SST's loaded to manual recommended length of 2.905"

While checking to make sure my rounds would chamber ok I discovered that they dont seem to like being fed from the magazine. when stripping the round out of the magazine, the rim of the case binds on the face of the bolt, preventing the round from aligning to the chamber, creating the issue. If not fed from the magazine, they chamber and eject without problem.

I tried my google-fu on this and turned up only a few related discussions on mausers of all types seeming to have this issue, but no solutions.

Has anyone encountered this with their swede, or other mauser that has found a solution? Any input on fixing this is MUCH appreciated!
You lucky dog. Where did you find a Swede packed in cosmo? that is a legendary find. Do tell more!

Old 09-18-2013, 11:07 PM

I kind of had a feeding issue with mine as well, carbine version though. Basically, when you load the cartridges, make sure you insert the round all the way back were the bolt stops, just a little forward and feeding issues start.
Old 09-19-2013, 5:01 AM

Extractor go/no-go gauge for the Swedish Mauser. Measurement should be 1.8mm to 1.9mm. The 2.00mm is excessive. Bottom gauge is firing pin protrusion.

Old 09-19-2013, 6:24 AM

To danodog, found it on GB, I didn't think it was a Cosmo rifle but it sure was, my friend bought one off GB And his was also in Cosmo.
Mine is '13 Carl Gustafson, all matching except for cleaning rod, it was good find indeed, just need to be patient
Old 09-19-2013, 6:55 AM
Veteran Member

only feed problems I've ever had is with the follower getting a little tweaked, usually when loading it. if you don't notice sometimes it doesn't want to feed. my 0.02
Old 09-19-2013, 1:18 PM

Quote:
To danodog, found it on GB, I didn't think it was a Cosmo rifle but it sure was, my friend bought one off GB And his was also in Cosmo.
Mine is '13 Carl Gustafson, all matching except for cleaning rod, it was good find indeed, just need to be patient
Who is this friend and where did such info come from?

I have also checked my Swede with dummy rounds and from what I can recall during my recent trip to shoot the Swede I didn't seem to have the same issue to the same degree but I did notice some slight marking on the rims of the cases I shot, possibly from the extractor.
Old 09-19-2013, 6:29 PM

Geeze, is finding a Cosmo packed rifle that rare??? We both bought ours off gun broker about a week a part from each other. Wasn't looking for one in particularly, just happened that way, lucky I guess??

EDIT: DANGIT BRIAN!!!! i love your avatar btw....

Last edited by ducky_0811; 09-19-2013 at 7:34 PM..
Old 09-19-2013, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Geeze, is finding an Cosmo packed rifle that rare??? We both bought ours off gun broker about a week a part from each other. Wasn't looking for one in particularly, just happened that way, lucky I guess??

EDIT: DANGIT BRIAN!!!! i love your avatar btw....
Haha!! Seriously though, get that thing running, the Swede is an amazing rifle.

I rock that avatar because it's like me, a boss.
Old 09-19-2013, 8:29 PM

ducky 0811:

From what your describing, it sounds like you may be a little confused about what is being suggested to help fix your feeding problem. PRO-NRA said: "a little metal removal from the FRONT of the extractor to change the angle usually fix this."
Then TRAP55 said: "the bottom edge of the extractor needs a bevel stoned on it to fix the feeding issue." It sounds like what your trying to do is grind on the back side of the extractor face to increase the clearance between the extractor and the bolt. If you do this, the extractor may let go of the empty casing on extraction before it gets to the ejector.
What they were trying to tell you was to change the front bottom edge of the extractor. If the bottom edge is a sharp corner, it can catch on the cartridge as it is stripped from the magazine. If you make a rounded contour on the front bottom edge, it should improve your feeding. There is a beveled angle along the edge of the extractor. If you stone a rounded edge on the bottom corner of the extractor, you will also need to make this bevel on the rounded portion.
Also, you said that the rifle was coated with cosmoline. Did you remove the floorplate and clean out any cosmoline inside the magazine well? It sounds like you've got a really good rifle. With just a little bit of tinkering, it should be working great.
Old 09-19-2013, 8:58 PM

Lots of good suggestions from smart people (except for me). Don't remove any metal from the back of the extractor as Toxic Shock mentioned, this can create its own issues.

If you still are having feeding issues my offer to send you a good extractor, dummy Norma and Lapua rounds and if needed a good bolt body with extractor for you to try.
Old 09-19-2013, 9:10 PM

I appreciate all the advise, thats why I ask you guys! I'm not removing any metal from the back of the extractor hook, the clearance between the rim and the extractor is fine, I've dealt with a similar issue on my mosin (no pro-nra, i dont profess it to be sub-moa, save yourself the typing) where i needed to take a little off the edge to improve feeding reliability.
with that being said, I take your advice to remove all the cosmo with a grain of salt, I am a US Marine, and know how to clean a rifle, I stripped that rifle down to the trigger group retaining pins and cleaned it THOROUGHLY. believe me when I say, there is no cosmo left on that rifle, or in the stock as i sweated that for a couple days too

I'm new to swede's but not to working on my rifles, I'm no gunsmith and dont profess to be, but I'm capable of performing safe work. I'll be working on it this weekend, I'll report back after I get it running again
Old 09-20-2013, 7:12 AM

Quote:
(no pro-nra, i dont profess it to be sub-moa, save yourself the typing)
Get with this guy Josh Smith as from what I gather, he is a master class shooter and can make a $89 Mosin into a sub MOA rifle with just some burlap and shims (and maybe some snake oil too?). I'm sure Josh Smith can do his magic on your rifle as well. He is a vendor on this site so get with him to help you out. I just wish I had such a rifle for to shoot matches with.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 AM

Lol I will admit I do have his adjustable front sight on my mosin, and it does help, but only minute of soda can at 100yds
Old 09-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

I don't recall ever seeing a Swede packed in cosmo. What's the importers mark, and WTH are the pics?
Old 09-20-2013, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-nra View Post
Get with this guy Josh Smith as from what I gather, he is a master class shooter and can make a $89 Mosin into a sub MOA rifle with just some burlap and shims (and maybe some snake oil too?). I'm sure Josh Smith can do his magic on your rifle as well. He is a vendor on this site so get with him to help you out. I just wish I had such a rifle for to shoot matches with.
no need to be a wiseass, most of these rifles will shoot MOA with the right shooter, even mosins. unless you've gone to the trouble to try it, more than once, you're just being a *****. my swede is a sub-moa rifle, just not usually when I shoot it, lol. watch MAG30th on youtube. he shoots a 91 carcano at over a thousand yards so nobody can talk trash about certain rifles being "inaccurate". shooter is the main game, and there's some rifles I have that I can shoot, and some that I can't. doesn't mean they aren't accurate.