Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 PM
Head Janitor

Default Want to put a pro-2A Assembly person in office?

Today was the election for Assembly District 45 and it looks like there will be a run off election.
The top two vote getters were:
Matt Dababneh (D) - 24.6%
Susan Shelley (R) - 21.4%
Quote:
A runoff may be held on 11/19/2013 between the top 2 candidates who received the most votes if neither receives a majority. If one candidate receives a majority of votes in this election, that candidate wins and no runoff will be held.
This means that on 11/19/2013 Shelley and Dababneh will face each other in the run off.
I sent an email with eight questions to all the candidates in this election, Dababneh did not respond, I'm not too surprised since he is Congressman Brad Sherman's Chief Deputy he likely shares his anti-2A views.
Shelley did. These are her answers:
Quote:
Hi, Paul,

Thanks for the note. Answers to your questions are below, in the copy of your e-mail to me.

I'm a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights. In general, I'm opposed to any law that restricts the rights of law-abiding citizens as a reflexive response to a tragic or criminal act.

I support the right of law abiding citizens to purchase and own firearms and to carry them. I oppose the assault weapons ban.

It's my view that the Second Amendment confers a RIGHT, not a privilege that can be revoked at will by the government.

You might be interested in a book that I wrote about the history of the Supreme Court's interpretation of the Bill of Rights. Attached is an excerpt from it that relates to the Supreme Court's recent Second Amendment decisions.

Thanks again for writing. I'd be honored to have your support.

Best regards,

Susan Shelley
Republican candidate for California Assembly, District 45

1) Do you support the right of law abiding citizens to purchase and own firearms? YES.

2) Do you support the right of law abiding citizens to defend themselves and their families? YES

3) Do you support the right of law abiding citizens to carry a firearm to defend themselves and their families? YES

4) Do you support or oppose the use of legislation to deny law abiding citizens the ability to purchase and own legal firearms based solely on the firearm's appearance and/or the manufacturer's willingness to pay a 'fee' to have their products declared 'safe' by the State of California? I OPPOSE THE USE OF LEGISLATION TO DENY LAW ABIDING CITIZENS THE ABILITY TO PURCHASE AND OWN LEGAL FIREARMS.

5) Would you vote for shall issue with state preemption for California CCW? YES.

6) Would you vote for repealing the state safe gun registry based on constitutional, and common use, grounds? YES.

7) Would you vote for repealing the current assault weapons ban in California based on common use of standard style modern sporting rifles? YES.

8) Would you vote for repealing the ban on open carry of long rifles and hand guns? YES, ALTHOUGH I WOULD LISTEN TO AND CONSIDER THE LAW ENFORCEMENT COMMUNITY'S CONCERNS, IF ANY, IN MATTERS OF PUBLIC SAFETY.
Here are the numbers from today's election:
21656 people voted.
Dababneh got 5,318 votes.
Shelley got 4,637 votes.
The remaining 11,701 votes were split among 9 other candidates.
Party affiliation breakdown is:
Dem 13,277, Rep 7,996, Ind 383

District 45 consists of:
Calabasas
Hidden Hills
Canoga Park
Encino
Northridge
Reseda
Tarzana
West Hills
Winnetka
Woodland Hills
Bell Canyon

How many Calgunners live in these cities?
How many want to and are willing to take action to promote and support a pro-2A candidate for the Sate Assembly?

We have two months to get people to vote for Susan Shelley and send a message that 2A supporters can and will affect elections.
You want to make a difference, here's your chance.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CGF.

Last edited by Kestryll; 09-19-2013 at 9:51 AM..
Old 09-18-2013, 5:27 AM
Calguns Addict

This should be a sticky until the election.

NRA Life Member
SAF Life Member
Old 09-18-2013, 5:54 AM

I live one district to the west my ASM Gorrell voted against all of the anti-right-to-self-defense bills that I bothered to check.

I KNOW you guys can get that too!

And once we do, we can oust Pavley (Senate) in the next election together.
Old 09-18-2013, 7:22 AM
CGN Life Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I don't live in that district, but who cares! I sent Susan Shelley some money. Hope it helps.
Old 09-18-2013, 7:31 AM
Calguns Addict

You skipped over Tarzana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Today was the election for Assembly District 45 and it looks like there will be a run off election.
The top two vote getters were:
Matt Dababneh (D) - 24.6%
Susan Shelley (R) - 21.4%

This means that on 11/19/2013 Shelley and Dababneh will face each other in the run off.
I sent an email with eight questions to all the candidates in this election, Dababneh did not respond, I'm not too surprised since he is Congressman Brad Sherman's Chief Deputy he likely shares his anti-2A views.
Shelley did. These are her answers:

Here are the numbers from today's election:
21656 people voted.
Dababneh got 5,318 votes.
Shelley got 4,637 votes.
The remaining 11,701 votes were split among 9 other candidates.
Party affiliation breakdown is:
Dem 13,277, Rep 7,996, Ind 383

District 45 consists of:
Calabasas
Hidden Hills
Canoga Park
Encino
Northridge
Reseda
West Hills
Winnetka
Woodland Hills
Bell Canyon

How many Calgunners live in these cities?
How many want to and are willing to take action to promote and support a pro-2A candidate for the Sate Assembly?

We have two months to get people to vote for Susan Shelley and send a message that 2A supporters can and will affect elections.
You want to make a difference, here's your chance.
Old 09-18-2013, 7:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Well there we have it folks, a crystal clear better choice for assembly. Lets get on her good side and help out as best we can. Last we need is another gun banning (D)
Old 09-18-2013, 8:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Is there a link to contribute to Susan Shelley's campaine as there was for Andy Vidaks?
I can usually find a fin to help a progunner.
Old 09-18-2013, 8:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Manuel Martin is running for District 9 and is also Pro 2nd Amendment, he's also been speaking at events with Tim Donnelly. I've been meaning to discuss introducing himself to the Calguns Foundation, Cal-FFL etc...

http://manuelforassembly.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Manue...81666708615670

Last edited by Shenaniguns; 09-21-2013 at 10:14 PM..
Old 09-18-2013, 8:40 AM

How can we help Shelley, besides voting for her obviously.
Old 09-18-2013, 9:24 AM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

I wish I could vote for her. We need pro-2A candidates in the legislature in the worst way.
Old 09-18-2013, 9:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Paul Leon is going against an Anti next week in the Pomona, Chino, Ontaro area.. get the word out. Paul is very Pro 2A

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788
Old 09-18-2013, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

Any info Paul Leon website?
Old 09-18-2013, 9:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting this. I'm not in that district, but I think efforts like these are imperative to preserving our rights. Thanks for your efforts! (bump)
Old 09-18-2013, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzavc View Post
How can we help Shelley, besides voting for her obviously.
Make a contribution to her campaign. It's dollars that fuel campaigns, and just like the Basic Freedom Defense Fund that helped recall Morse and Giron in Colorado, every cent helps. Even if Ms. Shelley is not in your district, her vote in the assembly will represent you too.

If everyone here chipped in $20 for this run-off the effect would probably be very beneficial. Open your wallets and check books. Go here to make it happen:

https://secure.piryx.com/donate/lyjr...-for-Assembly/

Last edited by sofbak; 09-19-2013 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: updated link
Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 AM

I agree, we need more 2A supporters in office. It shouldn't matter where they are from. I have sent her some money. I encourage all calgunners to do the same. The simple truth is that it takes $$$ to get public office.

Also sent out an email to several of my 2A friends.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org

Last edited by diverwcw; 09-18-2013 at 10:46 AM..
Old 09-18-2013, 10:06 AM

Excellent.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:44 AM

Thanks for this information !!

CGF/SAF/FPC Supporter

"There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Turns out my co-worker has family in her district. I told him about this, and he has two parents, a sister and a brother-in-law in District 45, so Ms Shelly just got herself 4 more votes.

Let the politicians know that taking a stance against our rights is a career-limiting move!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

I just donated. My rep is an awful person and cannot be defeated, and when he is termed out he will be replaced by someone just as bad, but I can donate to anyone I want to. I donated once now and set it up for a 2nd donation a month later.

This is not just about gun issues, but also Prop 13. Anyone who is a property owner in California should be donating to Susan Shelley. Once they have a supermajority they are going to do everything possible to repeal Prop 13. When that happens, property values will drop, tax revenue will not increase, and it will create a ripple effect that none of us will like (hello Detroit).

Exposing Leftists
Zomblog
The future of California?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
Let the politicians know that taking a stance against our rights is a career-limiting move!
This part is crucial, donating is a great way to help but she needs to know that it is coming from us.
I'm in this District and am going to reach out to her on behalf of CGN and CGSSA and talk to her about the 2A community supporting her.

When you donate or assist please note that you are doing so in connection to the Calguns effort. This way they know who we are and other elected officials know we are engaging.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CGF.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
When you donate or assist please note that you are doing so in connection to the Calguns effort. This way they know who we are and other elected officials know we are engaging.
I did that. I donated and sent her a short email saying, "I'm donating because of your support for the RKBA, especially shall-issue reform."

Exposing Leftists
Zomblog
The future of California?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM

I just contributed to Susan Shelly's campaign. I don't even live in her district. With a vote this tight, Gun owners should be able to make the difference IF EVERYONE TAKES THIS AS A PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY TO SUPPORT AND DOESN'T JUST ASSUME EVERYONE ELSE WILL DO IT FOR THEM.

I also did leave a note saying that I'm a lifelong democrat and social liberal that is donating money for someone outside my district because my (2A) civil rights matter and we need better balance than the "one party" system we have in CA.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Last edited by broofy; 09-18-2013 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: added text
Old 09-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks Kestryll, nice work & very promising post...

Going to thank her now...
Old 09-18-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
This part is crucial, donating is a great way to help but she needs to know that it is coming from us.
I'm in this District and am going to reach out to her on behalf of CGN and CGSSA and talk to her about the 2A community supporting her.

Ooops! I donated too soon....I indicated that I was trying to help a pro-2A representative get elected, but didn't mention CGN. Maybe they will figure it out.....
Old 09-18-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broofy View Post
I just contributed to Susan Shelly's campaign. I don't even live in her district. With a vote this tight, Gun owners should be able to make the difference IF EVERYONE TAKES THIS AS A PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY TO SUPPORT AND DOESN'T JUST ASSUME EVERYONE ELSE WILL DO IT FOR THEM.

I also did leave a note saying that I'm a lifelong democrat and social liberal that is donating money for someone outside my district because my (2A) civil rights matter and we need better balance than the "one party" system we have in CA.

Put your money where your mouth is.
well said. i'm chipping in too. Every special election in every district should be stickied like this with first post listing link to pro 2A candidates page for contributions.
Old 09-18-2013, 1:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I donated but missed the chance to credit CALGUNS . Maybe the timing of the contributions coming in will credit CALGUNS . I hope so !
Old 09-18-2013, 2:04 PM

Kes - Thank you for posting this.

My wife spoke to her personally over the phone and said she was extremely nice and the response she got to her questions was in line with the email she sent to you.

We have her lawn sign up and will support her through the run-off.

Lets put some power behind this election!
Old 09-18-2013, 2:15 PM

don't forget this guy-Manuel Martin. I have no idea what his chances are but look at this "issues page" from his website:

http://manuelforassembly.com/gun-rights-2/

I put him on my "donee" list too...........
Old 09-18-2013, 2:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Tagged
Old 09-18-2013, 4:29 PM

I live in the area, and I will vote for sure!!
"Our Democracy is self-destructing because it abused the right of freedom and equality, because it taught it's citizens to consider rudeness as a right, breaking the law as a freedom, audacity as equality, and anarchy as blissfulness" Isocratis (436 BC - 338 BC)

FNH SCAR 17S, HK MR556, Arsenal AK47, GSG-5, Rem 870 Express 18"
HK45, HK45 Tactical, HK45C, HK P30L, HK P30, Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II, FN 5.7 USG, Glock 22, Derringer .38 Special
Old 09-18-2013, 4:53 PM
In Memoriam

Can we compile a list of all firearm and similar store in the district and surrounding area? With that we can urge them to display posters and distribute flyers. At the least her official campaign materials, and hopefully some material specifically addressing Shelly's stand on 2A issues.

As 11/19 approaches we should also arrange for info tables in high foot traffic areas, shopping malls etc.
Old 09-18-2013, 5:01 PM

Don't forget to use social media to spread the word as well.
For those that have Twitter her handle is
@Susan_Shelley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Follow me on Twitter @2ACivilRights
Old 09-18-2013, 7:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just donated $25 for her campaign

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 09-18-2013, 8:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg33 View Post
Any info Paul Leon website?
https://www.facebook.com/#!/LeonForSenate?hc_location=

http://leonforsenate.com/

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788
Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

I wish there were someone to vote for here in the 13th district, but...
So, trapped behind enemy lines, I shall contribute to the fight elsewhere.
Old 09-19-2013, 6:38 AM

Donations and money don't necessarily guarantee results, just ask Bloomberg. What does win elections is grassroots activism and campaigning. During the CO recall, it was door-to-door and face-to-face campaigning that kicked out Morse and Giron, even in her heavily Democratic district. Instrumental in that recall was the Buckeye Firearms Association, a pro-2A PAC from Ohio. Even though it wasn't their fight, or their district, or even their state, they sent people to CO to man phone banks and canvass door-to-door. They swayed voters and urged them to vote. The result was Giron was sent packing back to her "Dem safe" district.

Why can't we do the same with District 45? I can donate a few bucks, but I can also donate some time if CalGuns or some other group organizes a grassroots campaign.

Last edited by BBJohnnyT; 09-19-2013 at 6:41 AM..
Old 09-19-2013, 7:11 AM

Default This

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJohnnyT View Post
Donations and money don't necessarily guarantee results, just ask Bloomberg. What does win elections is grassroots activism and campaigning. During the CO recall, it was door-to-door and face-to-face campaigning that kicked out Morse and Giron, even in her heavily Democratic district. Instrumental in that recall was the Buckeye Firearms Association, a pro-2A PAC from Ohio. Even though it wasn't their fight, or their district, or even their state, they sent people to CO to man phone banks and canvass door-to-door. They swayed voters and urged them to vote. The result was Giron was sent packing back to her "Dem safe" district.

Why can't we do the same with District 45? I can donate a few bucks, but I can also donate some time if CalGuns or some other group organizes a grassroots campaign.
I live in San Diego and would be willing to participate in something like this. Is CalGuns willing to set up something?

Old 09-19-2013, 8:47 AM

I'm about 20 miles to the south, but hopefully my $25 I just sent will help a bit.

Old 09-19-2013, 8:55 AM

Default Response from Susan Shelley

I sent an email directly to Susan Shelly telling her I had contributed to her campaign. This is the response I got:

Thank you so much writing and for your generous donation to the campaign. I'm honored to have your support, and I look forward to standing up for the rights of law-abiding gun owners as the representative of the 45th Assembly District.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Susan Shelley
Republican nominee for the California Assembly, District 45
20121 Ventura Blvd., Suite 206
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
818-22-SUSAN
www.SusanShelley.com

Old 09-19-2013, 8:58 AM

$50 sent along with a note saying it was based on her support of 2A.

-Ruskie
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed - where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-Hon. Alex Kozinski (Silvera v Lockyer, 2003)