Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-16-2013, 6:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Harbor Freight 60mm spotting scope sucks! Web purchase, can I return it to store?

Not that I expected much, but image was blurry, and color was phased, like rainbow-colors @ 100yd, hard to see...
I didn't expect it to be THAT bad, but it was. I really just expected to see where my groups were out at 100 yd, as I usually shoot iron sights via my AR.

I bought it via their Internet site, can I return it to a local-store?

Last edited by the86d; 09-16-2013 at 7:05 AM..
Old 09-16-2013, 7:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Take it back. Usually you get exactly what you pay for at Harbor Freight
Old 09-16-2013, 7:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
GOT ONLINE RETURNS?
TAKE THEM TO ANY HARBOR FREIGHT STORE! If you purchased an item through harborfreight.com, you can return it to any Harbor Freight store for an exchange or refund within 90 days of your purchase! Just bring the item and a copy of the order invoice and we will gladly exchange or refund the purchase, no questions asked. Buy it online—return it at the store—just one more way Harbor Freight is working to improve your customer experience!
http://www.harborfreight.com/return-policy

Seems you lucked out.

Now if you want a low end spotting scope that's actually usable for something other than giving you a headache, the konuspot 80 would be something to consider.
Old 09-16-2013, 7:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
http://www.harborfreight.com/return-policy

Seems you lucked out.

Now if you want a low end spotting scope that's actually usable for something other than giving you a headache, the konuspot 80 would be something to consider.
Nice! Thank you for the info.
I hit their FAQ, but didn't see the "return to store"...

$200 for a spotting scope out to 100yd is a bit out of my budget, hence the trial of the cheapie 1st. I might see what Leapers has out, as I have been really happy with their low-cost scopes for my rifles (again only out to 100yd anyways). I AM TRYING to get out of debt, so I can possibly start fresh in a Liberty-friendly state.

Last edited by the86d; 09-16-2013 at 7:30 AM..
Old 09-16-2013, 7:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Nice! Thank you for the info.
I hit their FAQ, but didn't see the "return to store"...

$200 for a spotting scope out to 100yd is a bit out of my budget, hence the trial of the cheapie 1st. I might see what Leapers has out, as I have been really happy with their low-cost scopes for my rifles (again only out to 100yd anyways).
They're still gonna be crap, and this is from personal experience(my own $100 price range spotter, and others that belong to different people I know). The problem with the junk scopes(aside from general build quality... busted a lens cap off of someones with a brake on 5.56 rifle. Not because it fell over from the blast, but because the blast just broke it). So while you'll be able to see a target at 100 yards and see the holes in it, you'll still have all the weird chromatic abberations, fuzzy image, annoying eye relief, and everything else that makes crappy optics tiresome and headache inducing to look through.

I'm not gonna say you need a kowa, vortex, leupold, or some other $500+ spotting scope. But with leapers/barska/etc. you're still scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Also keep in mind that at 100 yards, you probably don't need as much magnification as you think you do, to see holes in the target.
Old 09-16-2013, 7:45 AM

Laughable that the OP thought a spotting scope from HF would be useable. Chinese crap. You want quality, buy German glass, cry once.
Old 09-16-2013, 7:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggles View Post
Laughable that the OP thought a spotting scope from HF would be useable. Chinese crap. You want quality, buy German glass, cry once.
Heh. I kinda through the Big 5 sporting goods and similar optics were scraping the bottom of the barrel. Buying your optics from HF is more like turning the barrel over, looking underneath, finding nothing and then digging a hole to china.
Old 09-16-2013, 8:48 AM
Banned

Glass has come a long way in value for price,
don't knock some of the lower priced glass, some of it is fantastik for the price these days,
methinks the quality control isn't great, so you tend to find a defect now and then
Old 09-16-2013, 8:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

FYI - I see many nice scopes on eBay!!!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 09-16-2013, 1:34 PM
Banned

How about taking the spotting scope back....

And instead of some different junk spotting scope... Maybe think about buying the cheapest nikon riflescope you can find that gets to about 18x?

My guess is, it wouldnt cost very much, and work fine for checking your target.

Just a thought....
Old 09-16-2013, 1:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
How about taking the spotting scope back....

And instead of some different junk spotting scope... Maybe think about buying the cheapest nikon riflescope you can find that gets to about 18x?

My guess is, it wouldnt cost very much, and work fine for checking your target.

Just a thought....
Aside from that, I'd argue buying another junk spotting scope is a terrible idea especially on a budget.

Low cost high value, great. Low cost garbage quality? That's just wasting money since you'll eventually be upgrading later. Turning what will likely be a $180-$220 spotting scope into a $280-$320 spotting scope once you include the cost of the previous junk that you might not be able to return later. It really would be better to just do without since it's really only a matter of convenience, than to buy crap.
Old 09-18-2013, 8:40 AM

I don't know. I bought that 60x scope from HF with ZERO expectations. We all know that HF has the reputation for disposable one-time use tools. I got the scope and I was pleasantly surprised. Treating it with kid gloves and using common sense, I used it for a year...until I got careless and let a buddy be a spotter. He looked away and the flimsy tripod toppled over and the scope was in three pieces. I screwed the objective back on and it worked good enough to walk me into the target.

But HF has a lifetime warranty so I took it back and got a new one. And I put it on a short stubby tripod and it works awesome. Just BE CAREFUL and know how to handle it. You'll be fine with it.

It was $39 plus 20% off. Worth every penny. I have replaced it twice (for free with warranty) and it does the job. I'll save my cash for high end rifle optics.

If you're on a tighter budget, (just an idea)try using your long range rifle (if you have one) to see the target. Or buy a cheap tasco 3-9x12 scope ($29) to spot with. Plus you can mount it on a .22 rifle when you buy another rifle in the future. You know you're going to. Or at least you want to.

...just my $.02
Old 09-18-2013, 8:47 AM

I have the same scope. The tri-pod that it comes with is USELESS. I had a decent camera tripod that it bolts right up to. Scope works great. Eye relief isn't great (I have to take off my glasses) but otherwise works well.

The reality is that much of this cheap chinese crap is made at the same places, by the same folks using the same parts, just with different labels on them. So the low end scopes at big5, or wherever, are likely the same cheap crap. Save a few $$ at HF.

Just get a better tri-pod.

YMMV

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2013, 9:51 AM

Quote:
can I return it to a local-store?
Crazy thought here...

Call the store???
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 09-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Calguns Addict

I thought for the price, I'd try it out. I really don't need 20-60x zoom, but my my 3-9x on the other rifle isn't cutting it when the sun comes around and starts glaring off the white paper plates.

I really enjoy the Iron sights on my AR, it reminds me of simpler times... It's just kind of hard to spot the holes with those @ 100yd.

Last edited by the86d; 09-19-2013 at 10:25 AM..