Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 09-15-2013, 8:34 PM

Default New Rifle/ Carbine Match @ Raahague's 1-19-2014

PHANTOM STRIKE
RIFLE/CARBINE TACTICAL MATCH

WHEN?:
SUNDAY, January 19, 2014

WHERE?:
RAAHAGUE SHOOTING ENTERPRISES
14995 RIVER RD CORONA CA

Price?:
$40 MATCH FEE

WHAT?:
6 EXCITING COURSES OF FIRE
CQB RANGE AND UP TO 100 YARDS

RIFLE, PISTOL AND RIMFIRE CALIBER DIVISIONS
PREBAN AND CA LEGAL CLASSES
(OPTIC AND IRON SIGHT SUB-CLASSES)

NEW SHOOTERS ARE ENCOURAGED AND WELCOMED

NO MATCH EXPERIENCE REQUIRED, MUST BE FAMILIAR WITH
BASIC FIREARM SAFETY

WHAT YOU NEED:
EQUIPMENT PREREQUISITES:
•A SAFE AND PROPERLY OPERATING RIFLE / CARBINE
•EYE AND EAR PROTECTION
•MAGAZINES (MINIMUM 3)
•AMMO (Bring 200 or more)
•MATCH ROUND COUNT MINIMUM 120 ROUNDS
•NO STEEL CORE AMMO (MAGNET CHECK WILL BE ENFORCED AT SIGN UP)

Here's the Divisions
  • Pre-ban Optic
  • Pre-ban Irons
  • Cal-Legal Optic
  • Cal-Legal Irons
Within these Divisions, we will split between the 3 calibers:
  • Rifle
  • Rimfire
  • Pistol Cartridge Carbine (9mm, 40, 45ACP chambered carbines)

COLD RANGE , CHAMBER FLAGS REQUIRED
Or.
After clearing, between stages, BAG or Case your rifle/carbine.

Example of chamber flag. Good deal too!
http://www.mfgservs.com/chamber_flags.php
Please pass it on...

Thank you

Rudy Project Shooting Pro Team

Last edited by gun fu; 01-06-2014 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: New date
Old 09-15-2013, 8:35 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Oh yes, dig it!
Old 09-15-2013, 8:56 PM
CGN Contributor

Woot woot! Just shot there today at a match (SSA Steel Madness).

Point of clarification, title says "rifle/carbine", but body of post notes pistols as well. Please kindly clarify.

Paper, steel or combination of those targets?

Definitely will pass the word around. Thx.
Old 09-15-2013, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdruff2 View Post
Woot woot! Just shot there today at a match (SSA Steel Madness).

Point of clarification, title says "rifle/carbine", but body of post notes pistols as well. Please kindly clarify.

Paper, steel or combination of those targets?

Definitely will pass the word around. Thx.
Good question!

Carbines included, Pistol caliber carbines. 9mm(AR style) 40 s&W , 45 ACP (IE: Kriss) and the like.

Paper, steel and clay (Precision shots)

Old 09-15-2013, 9:04 PM
CGN Contributor

Duh - pistol caliber...missed that on the initial read. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 AM

Failed to add: Chamber flags required. COLD Range.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 PM

Looks like a blast. I'll be there!!!

Pistols and rifles and shotguns, oh my!
Old 09-19-2013, 6:09 PM

Very cool! I'd really like to try to make it out there for my first rifle match. =)

Just to be clear, I'm assuming there's going to be about 20 targets per stage? (20 targets x 6 stages = 120 rounds). Are there any rules about mag pouches for those using 10 round magazines?
Old 09-19-2013, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethemouse View Post
Very cool! I'd really like to try to make it out there for my first rifle match. =)

Just to be clear, I'm assuming there's going to be about 20 targets per stage? (20 targets x 6 stages = 120 rounds). Are there any rules about mag pouches for those using 10 round magazines?
Awesome, WE look forward to having you join us!

Run what you like, and you can use the following as a guide regarding equipment divisions:

http://uspsa.org/RifleShotgunMultigu...-2013final.pdf

http://smm3gun.com/Rules/IMA-SMM3G%2...0in%20red).pdf

The rules are based on either of these since the Match Director is an accomplished multi-gunner/ 3gun competitor.

Stage design is a bit more complicated than that, you will love the challenge!
The 120 rounds is the total minimum round count combined. Each stage will vary amount and will be indicated on each stage description. However, it does not take in account each shooter's ability how many shots needed to make the hit. In short, double the amount just in case for make-up shots.

Best advice... Know your gear inside and out and D.O.P.E. (Data of Previous Engagement or Data On Personal Equipment)

Most of all, get out there and have fun....

Last edited by gun fu; 09-19-2013 at 11:27 PM..
Old 09-22-2013, 3:13 PM

Default Need clarification for Assault weapon exceptions

26 California Penal Code 30665 PC -- Manufacturing, selling, lending, and/or possessing assault weapons or .50 BMG rifles - Sections 30600, 30605, and 30610 shall not apply to the possession and importation of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle into this state by a nonresident if all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The person is attending or going directly to or coming directly from an organized competitive match or league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle.
(b) The competition or match is conducted on the premises of one of the following:
(1) A target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(2) A target range of a public or private club or organization that is organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(c) The match or competition is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by, a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(d) The assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is transported in accordance with Section 25610 or Article 3 (commencing with Section 25505) of Chapter 2 of Division 5.
(e) The person is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms by virtue of Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 29800) or Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 29900) of Division 9 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.

Does this match fall under these exemptions? I'm not sure as to the direct letter of the law, as it says nothing about actually attending the match. Can someone with 3 gun experience and California clarify this? Also, how does this work for residents?

Circumstances under which you may lawfully possess an assault weapon in California
You may legally possess an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle if:

You hold a valid permit to possess an assault weapon specifically (as opposed to a concealed firearms permit, which does not cover assault weapons),

You lawfully possessed the firearm before it was classified as an assault weapon,

You are the executor or administrator of an estate that lawfully holds such firearms,2

You are engaged in lawful target shooting and/or law enforcement approved firearm exhibitions, or

You are a non-California resident travelling to/from an organized competitive match or league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon.

Also, I found this list on http://www.shouselaw.com/pc12280.html

Circumstances under which you may lawfully possess an assault weapon in California

You hold a valid permit to possess an assault weapon specifically (as opposed to a concealed firearms permit, which does not cover assault weapons),

You lawfully possessed the firearm before it was classified as an assault weapon,

You are the executor or administrator of an estate that lawfully holds such firearms,2

You are engaged in lawful target shooting and/or law enforcement approved firearm exhibitions, or

You are a non-California resident travelling to/from an organized competitive match or league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon.

The above list is not comprehensive.

Is this accurate?

Last edited by slowhands89; 09-22-2013 at 3:20 PM..
Old 09-22-2013, 4:51 PM

I'm a little confused about the divisions at PHANTOM STRIKE. Will PHANTOM STRIKE have standard AR caliber division?
Or is PHANTOM STRIKE just for pistol calibers and rimfire?

I just want to make sure I understand before I sign up for PHANTOM STRIKE

Thanks! I'm looking forward to PHANTOM STRIKE
Old 09-22-2013, 5:13 PM
CGN Contributor

No one is really excited about PHANTOM STRIKE
Old 09-22-2013, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhands89 View Post
26 California Penal Code 30665 PC -- Manufacturing, selling, lending, and/or possessing assault weapons or .50 BMG rifles - Sections 30600, 30605, and 30610 shall not apply to the possession and importation of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle into this state by a nonresident if all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The person is attending or going directly to or coming directly from an organized competitive match or league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle.
(b) The competition or match is conducted on the premises of one of the following:
(1) A target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(2) A target range of a public or private club or organization that is organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(c) The match or competition is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by, a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(d) The assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is transported in accordance with Section 25610 or Article 3 (commencing with Section 25505) of Chapter 2 of Division 5.
(e) The person is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms by virtue of Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 29800) or Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 29900) of Division 9 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.

Does this match fall under these exemptions? I'm not sure as to the direct letter of the law, as it says nothing about actually attending the match. Can someone with 3 gun experience and California clarify this? Also, how does this work for residents?

Also, I found this list on http://www.shouselaw.com/pc12280.html

The above list is not comprehensive.

Is this accurate?
Great question....

I think you are inquiring if there is such thing as "competition exemption"
To my knowledge no. We are not attorneys and can not advise you on California law.

I live in CA and follow the current laws as best I can.. personally, I'm going to run a Rimfire..

Old 09-22-2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofatactical View Post
I'm a little confused about the divisions at PHANTOM STRIKE. Will PHANTOM STRIKE have standard AR caliber division?
Or is PHANTOM STRIKE just for pistol calibers and rimfire?

I just want to make sure I understand before I sign up for PHANTOM STRIKE

Thanks! I'm looking forward to PHANTOM STRIKE
Sofa,

Funny!

Here's the Divisions
  • Pre-ban Optic
  • Pre-ban Irons
  • Cal-Legal Optic
  • Cal-Legal Irons

• Rifle
  • Rimfire
  • Pistol Cartridge Carbine

Questions: Info@jvindustries.net

This is a Pilot rifle/carbine club match offered by match director of Norco Running Gun.

He is a 20+ year accomplished competitor in pistol and multigun/ 3gun, and well versed in Match Directing and stage design.

Since many of the CG community are interested in carbine/rifle. It sounded like a perfect time to try a rifle only match.

Last edited by gun fu; 09-23-2013 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Updated Divisions
Old 09-23-2013, 6:30 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdruff2 View Post
No one is really excited about PHANTOM STRIKE
Speak for yourself, I'm stoked about PHANTOM STRIKE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun fu View Post
He is a 20+ year accomplished competitor in pistol and multigun/ 3gun, and well versed in Match Directing and stage design.

Since many of the CG community are interested in carbine/rifle. It sounded like a perfect time to try a rifle only match.
Appreciate the clarification as I had the same question. Who's the match director for PHANTOM STRIKE?
Old 09-23-2013, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
Speak for yourself, I'm stoked about PHANTOM STRIKE.

Appreciate the clarification as I had the same question. Who's the match director for PHANTOM STRIKE?

Sorry, I wasn't clear about the divisions. Since this match is unique and a pilot program, he said just follow what we know using 3G established rules and principles.

The MD is Jojo Vidanes.

Thanks

Old 09-23-2013, 8:22 AM

I am excited for the match! But I have a question, will we be doing 'Tactical Magpul' type things? I am concerned because I do not know if my old brittle knees can take it. I fall in the Low-Speed High-Drag division so to speak. Regardless I am looking forward to actually using my rifle, rather than shooting long distances while sitting at a bench.

We should make this a CalGuns shoot or something, so we can show the State of California that guns(mainly AR15s) can be used for something other than massacres. It would increase morale for gun owners and serve to educate others during this shameful, dark political time. I am personally encouraging everyone I know with a firearm to go out and shoot, anything from indoor, long range, competitions, anything. Just to show that we are still here and still shooting. We are a large diverse group of people, that need to be represented in the light we deserve, not the light they have given us.

Go shoot,
Be safe,
Have fun.

See you guys at the P.S. match

Last edited by Hung.A; 09-23-2013 at 8:31 AM..
Old 09-23-2013, 8:55 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hung.A View Post
I am excited for the match! But I have a question, will we be doing 'Tactical Magpul' type things? I am concerned because I do not know if my old brittle knees can take it. I fall in the Low-Speed High-Drag division so to speak. Regardless I am looking forward to actually using my rifle, rather than shooting long distances while sitting at a bench.
YouTube 'West End Tactical Rifle' and you'll see what PHANTOM STRIKE will resemble.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:07 AM

Does Tac Limited allow a red dot zero magnification ?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Does Tac Limited allow a red dot zero magnification ?
Sofatactical:

We updated the divisions for clarity and simplicity.

Divisions:
Pre-ban Optic
Pre-ban Irons
Cal-Legal 10 Optic
Cal-Legal 10 Irons

Rifle
Rimfire
Pistol Cartridge Carbine

So yes, Red dot will be optic. Shooter decides why type of optic they want 1x to 6 x .. and be in the Optic division.

Last edited by gun fu; 09-23-2013 at 12:44 PM..
Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99b5j186e1...h%20091513.pdf

Here's the flyer.

Thanks

Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 AM

So then does Cal-Legal include featureless rifle, using standard capacity mags?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
So then does Cal-Legal include featureless rifle, using standard capacity mags?
I would abide to the current CAL laws shown here on CG to be part of the Cal-legal Division

It is the competitor's responsibility to know and abide by the rules of the shooting range and also state laws if applicable.

Last edited by gun fu; 09-23-2013 at 10:32 AM..
Old 09-23-2013, 11:12 AM

I'm not asking about laws , I'm asking whether or not a CA compliant featureless rifle will be allowed in the CA division. Or are you limiting it to 10 rd bullet button rifles?
Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Gun fu - as a suggestion, I'd stick to the Divisions that you mentioned and linked earlier for SMM3G and USPSA 3Gun.
Tac Scope, Tac Limited and Heavy Metal. You can add Rimfire and CA-10 class, if you want as well. Red dots and irons compete in Tac Limited.
Featureless rifles run in the same Division as regular ARs (Tac Scope or Tac Limited, depending on optic). Bullet buttons run in CA-10.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not asking about laws , I'm asking whether or not a CA compliant featureless rifle will be allowed in the CA division. Or are you limiting it to 10 rd bullet button rifles?
I believe CA Division refers to rifles with bullet buttons attached limited to 10rds, since you are using 30rd pre-ban magazines it should be considered pre-ban division.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hung.A View Post
I believe CA Division refers to rifles with bullet buttons attached limited to 10rds, since you are using 30rd pre-ban magazines it should be considered pre-ban division.
Correct

Old 09-23-2013, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
Gun fu - as a suggestion, I'd stick to the Divisions that you mentioned and linked earlier for SMM3G and USPSA 3Gun.
Tac Scope, Tac Limited and Heavy Metal. You can add Rimfire and CA-10 class, if you want as well. Red dots and irons compete in Tac Limited.
Featureless rifles run in the same Division as regular ARs (Tac Scope or Tac Limited, depending on optic). Bullet buttons run in CA-10.
Good feedback Superset....

I'm reviewing with the MD

Old 09-24-2013, 7:11 PM

Is bi-metal ammo ok ?
Old 09-24-2013, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodsworthy View Post
Is bi-metal ammo ok ?
I would try the magnet test before you bring it.

If the cartridge can be suspended by the bullet. No bueno.

Old 09-24-2013, 9:10 PM

I'm looking forward to this. I like the way nrg run things. I'll try my best to go.
Old 09-25-2013, 8:46 AM

gun fu: since this is a tactical match, can we work in two-man-teams and can we "sweep the leg" if we miss center mass?
Old 09-27-2013, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear about the divisions. Since this match is unique and a pilot program, he said just follow what we know using 3G established rules and principles.

The MD is Jojo Vidanes.

Thanks
Jojo Vidanes? You mean this guy?

http://youtu.be/SYl_iMYbIQg?t=5m47s
Old 09-27-2013, 4:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethemouse View Post
Jojo Vidanes? You mean this guy?
Yes, 20 years ago, here is Jojo last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2RMM...LQYR6fwwBaGbmg
Old 10-02-2013, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK35 View Post
gun fu: since this is a tactical match, can we work in two-man-teams and can we "sweep the leg" if we miss center mass?
Haha! Saw that vid.. awesome..

Sorry, Slow reply, was at USPSA Nationals..

BTW, here's a flyer for the match, Share when you can. Thanks

Old 10-02-2013, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Haha! Saw that vid.. awesome..

Sorry, Slow reply, was at USPSA Nationals..

BTW, here's a flyer for the match, Share when you can. Thanks

No worries. I'm sure Nationals were fun.

I'm planning to be at the match, family schedule permiting.

Last edited by HK35; 10-09-2013 at 3:04 PM..
Old 10-10-2013, 9:10 PM

Can't wait! Less than 2 weeks away
Old 10-15-2013, 3:22 PM

Sounds like a great event! What time are sign-ups/ shooting begins?

Whoops.. Nevermind should downloaded the flyer first.

Last edited by aktach; 10-15-2013 at 3:24 PM..
Old 10-15-2013, 3:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

This was also posted on their FB page:
"0745 to 0845 sign up and 0900 Mandatory Shooter's meeting.. Sorry, no late sign ups.."

Enjoy the PHANTOM STRIKE!
Old 10-15-2013, 6:14 PM
CGN Contributor

Taking off work early this Friday to zero my rifles (Colt 6920LE and M&P 15-22) for the match. Very psyched - first rifle match.