Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-12-2013, 7:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Butler Creek scope caps?

I trying to figure out which size I need for my nikon p-223 3x32 scope. If someone could help me find out i'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-12-2013, 7:57 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

you need to measure the outer diameter of the optical and objective lenses... calipers are best (decent ones can be found cheap at local hardware store)... or even a metric ruler (measure in millimeters)...

Then look up the size on their site: http://www.butler-creek.com/products...flip_open.html (click the link towards the bottom that says "model options")

Or you can do a Google search to see what others have used - but I advise against that... I've bought caps for about a dozen optics and learned a long time ago that some people aren't as accurate as necessary for perfect fit - so I always just measure myself and look up the size.

I've found that Primary Arms has a good selection of sizes at good prices... otherwise Amazon (those are the only two places I buy from - best pricing).

Good luck - sorry I didn't have the exact answer - but even if I did, you should measure and confirm

ETA: often you will find that they don't have the "exact size" and your options are slightly smaller or slightly bigger... there are two rules of thought - some people prefer slightly bigger and wrap electrical tape around the optic for tight fit... others (including me) choose slightly smaller and have a very snug fit... I've never found a size that was more than a millimeter or so off.

Hope that made sense... good luck
Old 09-12-2013, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
you need to measure the outer diameter of the optical and objective lenses... calipers are best (decent ones can be found cheap at local hardware store)... or even a metric ruler (measure in millimeters)...

Then look up the size on their site: http://www.butler-creek.com/products...flip_open.html (click the link towards the bottom that says "model options")

Or you can do a Google search to see what others have used - but I advise against that... I've bought caps for about a dozen optics and learned a long time ago that some people aren't as accurate as necessary for perfect fit - so I always just measure myself and look up the size.

I've found that Primary Arms has a good selection of sizes at good prices... otherwise Amazon (those are the only two places I buy from - best pricing).

Good luck - sorry I didn't have the exact answer - but even if I did, you should measure and confirm

ETA: often you will find that they don't have the "exact size" and your options are slightly smaller or slightly bigger... there are two rules of thought - some people prefer slightly bigger and wrap electrical tape around the optic for tight fit... others (including me) choose slightly smaller and have a very snug fit... I've never found a size that was more than a millimeter or so off.

Hope that made sense... good luck
Right on, thanks for the advice. I looked at the tech specs of the scope and went to the butler creek size chart and picked a size that was closed to the tech specs.
Old 09-12-2013, 8:10 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNP'R View Post
Right on, thanks for the advice. I looked at the tech specs of the scope and went to the butler creek size chart and picked a size that was closed to the tech specs.
that should be more accurate than general users info... but I'm too anal, and don't even trust the specs

You should be good to go though
Old 09-12-2013, 8:14 PM

take it to a gun shop and they can help you out.
Old 09-12-2013, 8:18 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt05deluxe View Post
take it to a gun shop and they can help you out.

that's not necessary... and the ones I go to never have enough variety to fit on most scopes.
Old 09-12-2013, 8:27 PM

Not to thread jack but I have a scope with an eye diameter of 1.3560 and they don't really have a size close to it. They have 1.341 and 1.388. Which would work better if at all?
Old 09-12-2013, 8:42 PM
Veteran Member

I got some butler creek flip open caps,for my Leupold VX-R. I used the spec off the BC site, they didn't fit as well as I would have liked,but worked I guess..
I emailed Leupold for info and order some of theirs,much nicer and much less bulky after thought looking,perfect fit.

Maybe an option for you,or try emailing Nikon for their input.
Old 09-12-2013, 8:51 PM
Lurker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNP'R View Post
I trying to figure out which size I need for my nikon p-223 3x32 scope. If someone could help me find out i'd greatly appreciate it.
Butler Creek's Flip-open scope covers: 13/14 and 13/15

I have the same scope.

"Saying we don't need guns because we have cops is like saying we don't need fire extinguishers because we have firefighters"

"My lemonade stand was robbed once by two thieves. I shot them both. No more robberies."

"Went to the Giants game yesterday. For opsec reasons I said I was going next week. Can never be to careful."

Last edited by fishhoppa; 09-12-2013 at 8:56 PM.. Reason: added
Old 09-12-2013, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhoppa View Post
Butler Creek's Flip-open scope covers: 13/14 and 13/15

I have the same scope.
Nice just ordered some.
Old 09-12-2013, 9:27 PM
Banned

When those butler creeks break.....

See if vortex has some that will fit. I have old bc's that are great. I hear over and over the new ones suck. The vortex is pretty cheap- I hadnt heard much about them yet- but all the people complaining about new bc's breaking all the time... I'll try them when I need new ones.

No, I dont know for sure if they have them in sizes you need... but I'd check if I were you if/when those bc's snap. (apparently they changed their plastic and the new ones are very brittle and breakage prone- My old ones are still fine after 8+ years)
Old 09-12-2013, 9:43 PM
Banned

#31 #19
Old 09-12-2013, 9:44 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kielbasavw View Post
Not to thread jack but I have a scope with an eye diameter of 1.3560 and they don't really have a size close to it. They have 1.341 and 1.388. Which would work better if at all?
I would use the 1.388 (01 eye) it's only .38 mm smaller - should fit snug (as long as 1.356 is accurate)
Old 09-12-2013, 9:51 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
When those butler creeks break.....

See if vortex has some that will fit. I have old bc's that are great. I hear over and over the new ones suck. The vortex is pretty cheap- I hadnt heard much about them yet- but all the people complaining about new bc's breaking all the time... I'll try them when I need new ones.

No, I dont know for sure if they have them in sizes you need... but I'd check if I were you if/when those bc's snap. (apparently they changed their plastic and the new ones are very brittle and breakage prone- My old ones are still fine after 8+ years)
Yes the BC can snap ( I broke one at the hinge)... But Vortex don't close very well (at least not the two sets of Strikefire covers I have) - I actually replaced them with BC.

Some manufacturers do have decent caps though... Bushnell Zoom Dot actually has good caps (stout rds too!)... Aimpoint also have good caps... But I don't know of anyone that has the variety that BC has, so sizing might be difficult.
Old 09-13-2013, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes the BC can snap ( I broke one at the hinge)... But Vortex don't close very well (at least not the two sets of Strikefire covers I have) - I actually replaced them with BC.

Some manufacturers do have decent caps though... Bushnell Zoom Dot actually has good caps (stout rds too!)... Aimpoint also have good caps... But I don't know of anyone that has the variety that BC has, so sizing might be difficult.
Yep, I have a strike fire to and the caps on them suck hard. I leave them open because its such a pain to close them and keep them closed.
Old 09-18-2013, 8:50 AM

Yeah BC covers are junk for high-end users. I don't like them. Try others. But if you're just an occasional user, it'll work. But you still have to be gentle with them. They tend to snap off and don't lend well to hyperextension.
Old 09-18-2013, 9:44 AM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Dmedic View Post
Yeah BC covers are junk for high-end users. I don't like them. Try others. But if you're just an occasional user, it'll work. But you still have to be gentle with them. They tend to snap off and don't lend well to hyperextension.
What others are there? I'd love to have alternative option...
Old 09-18-2013, 9:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What others are there? I'd love to have alternative option...
Leupold has covers for some of their scopes(and they're actually nice), I think Vortex makes some for theirs, Tenebraex makes caps for some trijicon, NF, S&B, and other high end scopes(not many though), GG&G, and a few other manufacturers have caps for some of their own scopes. I think I've also seen some weaver brand caps that looked like the butler creeks.

Unless your scope manufacturer happens to also make some decent flip caps, you're probably going to be stuck with butler creek, a bikini cover, or one of those scope coat things.
Old 09-18-2013, 2:23 PM
Banned

Pretty much what Merc said...

However, the leupold and tenebraex are both highly rated...

The loopy is a bit pricey- They call them "alumina".

If you think the loopy is pricey... the tenebraex are about twice as much... They have them for the bushnell elites as well as other highline scopes...

Euro optic carries the tenebraex.
Old 09-18-2013, 6:16 PM

Alaska has good ones. Check out scopeshieldalaska.com. They are amazing...even in the field with snow. No Shiite!

But Aluminas are also g2g.
Old 09-18-2013, 6:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

If you think the loopy is pricey... the tenebraex are about twice as much... They have them for the bushnell elites as well as other highline scopes...

You'd think a company could come up with something like the butler creeks(except not being crap) and be able to sell 'em for $40-50 a set.
Old 09-18-2013, 7:00 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Leupold has covers for some of their scopes(and they're actually nice), I think Vortex makes some for theirs, Tenebraex makes caps for some trijicon, NF, S&B, and other high end scopes(not many though), GG&G, and a few other manufacturers have caps for some of their own scopes. I think I've also seen some weaver brand caps that looked like the butler creeks.

Unless your scope manufacturer happens to also make some decent flip caps, you're probably going to be stuck with butler creek, a bikini cover, or one of those scope coat things.
Quote:

thanks for the references... I vaguely remember looking into the Alumina caps a while back - I like the fact that they are aluminum.... I just had a bunch of parts for AR build Cerakote'd (including BC caps), the flex on the ring doesn't take the coating well - aluminum would be perfect! I just wish I could get 'em without the Leupold logo (might be able to work-around though)...

Do you guys know what material the Tenebrax is?... Also, on Leupold's site, they have the sizes listed - but is that based on the lens size or outer diameter of the bell?

I don't think I'd buy enough to replace all scopes - but a couple for sure if I can confirm sizes...

thanks again
Old 09-18-2013, 7:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The leupold caps are for leupold scopes. Basically unless they offer a rubber slip over fit like the Butler creeks, they're going to be model specific since they need to work with the threading at the end of the objective bell.

While there might be some models besides leupold scopes that their caps fit, it would be a rarity since they have to match the threads and diameter.
Old 09-18-2013, 8:27 PM
Made in the USA

^^^...

so now we're back to what started the exchange...
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...6&postcount=17
basically Butler Creek is the only option.
Old 09-19-2013, 1:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
^^^...

so now we're back to what started the exchange...
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...6&postcount=17
basically Butler Creek is the only option.
If BC is the only company that makes covers for your scope, pretty much. You didn't mention what scope you were looking for covers for, so I rattled off a few companies that make covers for their scopes.
Old 09-19-2013, 2:38 AM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
If BC is the only company that makes covers for your scope, pretty much. You didn't mention what scope you were looking for covers for, so I rattled off a few companies that make covers for their scopes.
A couple Bushnell Elite Tacticals, a Weaver Tactical, a Vortex Viper PST and a Bushnell PLC (on order)... And future scopes...

I realize there are model specific covers ( I mentioned some in earlier post as well)... But aside from BC I don't think there's a manufacturer that makes various size universal caps... I wish there were though.
Old 09-19-2013, 2:45 PM
Banned

I believe the tenebraex are screw in as well- just like alumina, but they have models for different brands to match the threads.

I dont remember- I looked into them a few months back.. and it was about$100-120 to do one scope... They do have them for the bushnells though.
Old 09-21-2013, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

So I just got my Butler Creek Scope caps in the Eye piece works great but the Objective scope cap keeps flipping up. Its as annoying as the vortex strike fire's caps.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Vendor/Retailer

kielbasavw, Butler Creek recommends using the smaller of the two sizes if your measurement falls between sizes. I find the Multi-Flex works the best with this approach, as it has more "give" than the standard Flip-Up caps.

Every set of Blizzard caps I have owned has had the transparent window fall out - not a fan of the Blizzard.

Mark H.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 09-27-2013, 8:15 PM

Has anybody tried the Quake Bushwhackers?

http://www.quakeinc.com/store.php?sh...Optic%20Covers

I'm looking for caps too, and have heard about the low quality of the Butler Creek caps. This was an alternative I came across on the net. I like these because the caps fold nearly flat on top of the scope.
Old 09-27-2013, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

Haven't read all the replies but simply put, Butler Creek... since it was sold... has turned to absolute ****. It doesn't get worse. Save yourself the $12 or $24 for the set. You will break them within months.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce