Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-11-2013, 12:19 PM

Default Calling All Sub MOA Shooters And Others: Next Match 10 days Away

Although I would love to see the sub MOA shooters come out and play with us, we donít discriminate and everyone is invited to the next Sac Valley Military Silhouette Match on the 21st.

For those that had never done this match, it is lots of fun for everyone involved. If youíve been thinking about it donít think about it any longer and just jump right in and join us. If for whatever reason you are not ready, just come out and watch and learn. You will have a great time just watching the incredible shooters like Paul, Vern, Nick, Steve M. etc in action. These folks do incredible things with iron sighted vintage rifles.

There will be lots of nice vintage rifles coming out to this match and play including rare and high dollar rifles like Bobís ZFK-55, Gerryís 03-A4 clone, Finn M28-76 etc. Iím sure there will be a few sporterized ex military rifles and target rifles with aperture sights as well.

Hope to see new and old shooters on the 21st.
Old 09-11-2013, 1:52 PM
Veteran Member

Waiting on Moisons, AK's and SKS shooters to attend our match with their tacticool rifles.
Old 09-11-2013, 2:58 PM

Only bolt action? No Garands?
Old 09-11-2013, 3:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmintl View Post
Waiting on Moisons, AK's and SKS shooters to attend our match with their tacticool rifles.
Why not shoot one of those? I started shooting smallbore with a stock, beat to scat, Winchester 1906 with iron sights. I soon upgraded to a $75 Mossberg 42A with a $150 Simmons 6.5-20x though. That combo held its own against +$3000 single shot .22s with custom Leupold glass.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 09-11-2013, 3:16 PM
Veteran Member

Do I need to bring a shooting teammate/spotter, or can I come solo? The only thing I have that I would trust would be a heavy barreled M1 Garand with match sights, would that be allowed?

grips for sale: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=819159
Old 09-11-2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmintl View Post
Frank they are a shy bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqbdude View Post
Only bolt action? No Garands?
All milsupr from WWII design and earlier will qualify. You can bring your Garand and I'm sure it will hold its own with other semi auto but against a bolt gun it is much tougher. Not saying it can not be done, all I'm saying is you will have a harder time beating a bolt gun with a Garand.

The couple of years I've been shooting this match I've only seen one time a Garand winning the match. Most match winners are shooting Swedish Mausers, Swiss straight pulls and 03-A3s. (sorry never seen a sub MOA rifle winning the match).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurac View Post
Do I need to bring a shooting teammate/spotter, or can I come solo? The only thing I have that I would trust would be a heavy barreled M1 Garand with match sights, would that be allowed?
Yes you can come solo as you will be paired with another shooter. If you have a scope, stand and mat bring them along with about 75 rounds of steel safe ammo.

Yes your match Garand is allowed but since it is not as issued, you will have to shoot in the "match sights" class dominated by the Swedish CG-63s & CG-80s target rifles which will put you at a severe handicap on beating the Swedes. You will still have fun though so come along.

Last edited by pro-nra; 09-11-2013 at 9:14 PM..
Old 09-11-2013, 7:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
we don’t discriminate
Last time I was there my friend was turned away because he had an AR but at the same time, there were M1As on the line.

It didn't affect me since I have plenty of bolt guns to keep me busy. I just thought it was BS when one post war design was OK but another one wasn't. Both are semi-auto, so what's the big deal?

I'm not angry nor do I want to start **** as I enjoy these matches whether it's with my Swede or M-1 or whatever.

If I make it up next time, I'll probably bring a Finn or a 91/30.

And thanks again Juanito for helping me with my M96 sights.

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
Old 09-12-2013, 6:35 AM
Veteran Member

I'm never going to have a grudge match (AK's/SKS) against the Swede boys
Unless my Comrades step up.
Old 09-12-2013, 7:53 AM

Son of Garand OK. Son of Stoner, semi-auto shoot. Got to call it somewhere and I can see that the M1A is really a Garand with a magazine, the ARs are sumptin" very different. But as said, it doesn't matter because there are enough choices and all are a kick in the backside.

I am thinking of trying my SMLE MK 111. Small sight radius, notch sight, and light barrel but it does radiate vibrations of WWI and II as you shoot. Hell, I ain't going to win anyway so I, and some of my buddies, will shoot anything - - even those MOA Mosins [if we could find one].

Also, if I shoot one rifle all the time, I might think I am actually serious.
Old 09-12-2013, 8:06 AM

Rojo, the vintage military match is restricted to pre 1951 designs (I think that is the year) and although we allow M1As, they must compete in the match sights class. If you want to shoot an AR platform come up for the "gas gun" match, any military style semi is welcome. The rules are posted, no reason to be upset about not being allowed to shoot yiur AR
Old 09-13-2013, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

Any update on FMJ ammo being allowed on the silhouette range now?
Old 09-13-2013, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Any update on FMJ ammo being allowed on the silhouette range now?
It's still no

Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match
Old 09-13-2013, 6:28 PM

So does a CMP garand with a cmp replacement stock and a recrowned barrel not count as an as issued garand?
Old 09-13-2013, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff213 View Post
So does a CMP garand with a cmp replacement stock and a recrowned barrel not count as an as issued garand?
Jeff, I'm not the match director (Tom is) but AFAIK you are GTG as your Garand is still in its original configuration. No one expect you to have original WWII furniture as most were beat to hell and replaced. Recorowning is no big deal. When you start changing/working on trigger, installing Alley sights, would definately put your rifle out of the as issued class.
Old 09-13-2013, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

Jeff213

Its good to go.
Old 09-13-2013, 7:08 PM

Cool, I will be testing a load this weekend with a soft point, maybe I can make it out there next week.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-M-42 View Post
Rojo, the vintage military match is restricted to pre 1951 designs (I think that is the year) and although we allow M1As, they must compete in the match sights class. If you want to shoot an AR platform come up for the "gas gun" match, any military style semi is welcome. The rules are posted, no reason to be upset about not being allowed to shoot yiur AR
I just think it's lame that the M1A gets the pass anyway.

The only reason I only bring this up is because my buddy who had the AR, that's the only he has and we both came a long way to shoot this match. Hell, I only go a few times a year. I doubt he would return again. It would have been cool if they let it slide that one time.

As for me, I know there is a 90% chance I'll be working the third saturday of the month, but I got some Mosins I want to try out.

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
Old 09-16-2013, 7:21 AM

Well the match is this Saturday only 5 days away. If you have not done this match before, go ahead and just do it. You will have a blast for sure. Much better than shooting paper targets...instant gratification when you hear that "clang" on the steel and the target falls or grief if the you hear silence and the target still standing (most of the time my case). Hurry up and load some ammo.
Old 09-19-2013, 1:50 PM

Loaded a 100 303s. Ready to go WWI. Wish I had sight settings. duuu.

Last edited by Mutant; 09-19-2013 at 1:53 PM..
Old 09-19-2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
I just think it's lame that the M1A gets the pass anyway.

The only reason I only bring this up is because my buddy who had the AR, that's the only he has and we both came a long way to shoot this match. Hell, I only go a few times a year. I doubt he would return again. It would have been cool if they let it slide that one time.

As for me, I know there is a 90% chance I'll be working the third saturday of the month, but I got some Mosins I want to try out.
Rojo, the M1A gets a "pass" because its conception was in 1945, well before our cutoff date. Eugene Stoner didn't come up with the AR concept until after 1954. You've shot our match, the rules are posted so your friend has no reason to be upset. Calling it "lame" because we follow our rules really isn't fair to those of us who work to make the match successful.
Old 09-19-2013, 6:21 PM

Got to pass on this months match. Got to visit my eye Doctor. See ya at the next one.

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Rojo, the M1A gets a "pass" because its conception was in 1945, well before our cutoff date. Eugene Stoner didn't come up with the AR concept until after 1954. You've shot our match, the rules are posted so your friend has no reason to be upset. Calling it "lame" because we follow our rules really isn't fair to those of us who work to make the match successful.

I just thought it would have been nice if they would have let a first time shooter slide for one match considering that was the only rifle he owned. Doubt he'd ever come back. That's *all*. I mean, this isn't Camp Perry or something super serious. Anyway, I'm done talking about that.

I won't make it to this match this time, but see y'all next time I can.

Old 09-20-2013, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0321jarhead View Post
Got to pass on this months match. Got to visit my eye Doctor. See ya at the next one.
Darn you will miss this match? I was exited to sport my new pirate eye patch thanks to you. I've tried it and it really help me relax...doubt it if it will help my score but boy do I look good wearing it.

Well about 75 rounds loaded for my M96 in the as issued class and 75 more to go for the CG-80 for the match sights class.

I hope no one is too mad about not letting the AR shoot this match. As mentioned there is another match just for semi auto that an AR can shoot.

See you all bright and early in the morning. Got yo go load some ammo.
Old 09-20-2013, 8:44 PM

The eye patch. That was what we used as we were learning how to stay focused and breathing control and other ways to properly fire an M16A1 back in the 70's.

Nice to hear that it is working for you. See ya at next months match.

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 09-21-2013, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

How was the weather at the match today?
Old 09-21-2013, 8:21 PM

Terrible! Tom had to call off the match due to lightning after the third bank of targets. The wind was so strong from that storm coming from left on that last relay that I maxed out my windage and was still shooting the turkey to the right of my intended target. Where where you today?

Have to wait till November match as October is the veterans match.
Old 09-22-2013, 1:22 PM

Never seen the place clear out faster than Sat.
Old 09-22-2013, 1:34 PM

Ford, while I was out at the Pig Line resetting before Tom called the match, you could feel the electricity in the air....I'm surprised we didn't have any strikes close by. Good call by Tom to close it down, 30 guys walking around with vintage lightning rods probably would have been a bad idea!
Old 09-22-2013, 2:06 PM

I know all that Bob ------ but what a way to go, for old dismembered pharts
Old 09-22-2013, 2:11 PM

You would have turned your wheelie rig into an impromptu electric chair!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 2:13 PM

Me and Arnie was the last person to leave range 6 and by the time we left, the rain had almost stopped.

Lightning did strike a distance away at 10 o'clock from the turkey line when I was resetting the turkeys. I could feel the hair on my body stood up and indication of electricity in the air like Bob mentioned. Besides the vintage lightning rods, we have lots of ammo next to our face.

If it was just rain without lighting we could have finished the match with wet score sheets.

Despite the bad weather, couple of the top shooters like Nick and Vern posted a high 20 scores with just three relays.
Old 09-22-2013, 2:41 PM

Sorry. I only shoot sub MOA when nobody is looking.
Old 09-22-2013, 3:36 PM

I only shoot sub MOA on the last bank. And Janito, I left just before you and Arnie. PS_ I am not questioning the call - at all - I just noticed a disembarkation of rapidity matched by none others.
Old 09-22-2013, 3:49 PM

Quote:
You would have turned your wheelie rig into an impromptu electric chair!!!
But, lightning from the back, down the old Lee-Enfield barrel, light up, turbo charged wheelchair, lift off towards the targets, flaming ball climbing into the air, over the pigs, into the ram bank, explosion, 50 rams fall down, two flame charred lifted arms in clenched fist, thumbs up, what a way to go (except for the dying part for the PC).

Last edited by Mutant; 09-22-2013 at 4:07 PM..