Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-10-2013, 9:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach
Default Tech Sights Owners - Sight Alignment Issues

I ordered the new rail mounted Tech Sights several months ago for my Ruger 10/22 in preparation for participating in Appleseeds in the future.

After getting a laser bore sight and sighting in my rifle I have found that the rear sight windage is nearly all the way over to the right when on target. This is with my front sight centered per TS instructions.

I know its just a preference, but this sight picture is driving me crazy. Anyone else have this issue with their Tech Sights?

Any suggestions?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 09-10-2013, 9:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I'd verify that the barrel isn't crooked. Sometimes when you pound on it a lot it gets that way.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 PM
The recruiter lied to me!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Republicans are using guns to defend against Democrats.
Smile

Does the MK1 eyeball agree with the laser? Pull the barrel and find a steady rest of some kind. Look through the barrel and find a small target at about 100 yards, reflectors work well. Are the Tech sights still all Marty Feldman when on target? It should be really obvious what part of the equation is off.

There aren't that many good 22LR boresights out there, are you using one of them thingies that dangles out the end of the barrel?

On the dessert tray of politics Hillary Clinton is a brand of ice cream that I wouldn't eat after a prison rape with a Presidential pardon at the bottom of the bowl.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
I'd verify that the barrel isn't crooked. Sometimes when you pound on it a lot it gets that way.
I never pounded on the barrel and wouldn't! 30 year old original front sight came off very easy with a punch and 2 fairly easy whacks, and it was well supported on a wood bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Does the MK1 eyeball agree with the laser? Pull the barrel and find a steady rest of some kind. Look through the barrel and find a small target at about 100 yards, reflectors work well. Are the Tech sights still all Marty Feldman when on target? It should be really obvious what part of the equation is off.

There aren't that many good 22LR boresights out there, are you using one of them thingies that dangles out the end of the barrel?
It's a Laserlyte boresight, I suspected the boresight but when I put it into a rifle that was known to be dead on, the laser co-witnessed with the iron sights on that gun. So my thinking is the boresight is fine.

I am thinking that maybe the front dovetail isn't lined up properly on the barrel. If you know the 10/22 tech sights you know that the front sight is secured to the front dovetail via 2 set screws, one on either side of the dovetail. So my thought is to get the rear sight centered and then I will adjust the front until its lines up with the laser.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

Last edited by Darryl Licht; 09-10-2013 at 10:42 PM..
Old 09-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Still, if the barrel was a bit lose, it might pop over. I'd check anyway, just for funzies.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Still, if the barrel was a bit lose, it might pop over. I'd check anyway, just for funzies.
Nope, barrel is fully tight and secured to receiver via the barrel block and bolt.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 09-11-2013, 6:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Can't do that. Tech sights rear mounts on the receiver.
Old 09-11-2013, 7:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannicus View Post
Can't do that. Tech sights rear mounts on the receiver.
Yeah... I noticed that last night. Even though the title of thread says Tech Sights Owners. He must not have them, or doesn't have them on a 10/22.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 09-11-2013, 7:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Nope, barrel is fully tight and secured to receiver via the barrel block and bolt.
Then possibly the top of the 10/22 is not flat and the sights are at a bit of an angle. I'd just recheck all with a bubble level.
Old 09-11-2013, 8:11 AM

One of my 10-22' s with Tech's was so far off that I had to reset the barrel using a level, and a Gunsmither block to secure the barrel. Centered up nicely.
Old 09-11-2013, 8:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Then possibly the top of the 10/22 is not flat and the sights are at a bit of an angle. I'd just recheck all with a bubble level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
One of my 10-22' s with Tech's was so far off that I had to reset the barrel using a level, and a Gunsmither block to secure the barrel. Centered up nicely.
Sorry for my ignorance here, but where would I put the level? I'm assuming gun in vise, but level what to what here?

Also, I thought the 10/22 Gunsmither blocks were to cure barrel droop which would be an elevation adjustment error in my sights and not a windage adjustment... right, or wrong?

PS - asking questions not to be a smart*****, but to gain knowledge!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 09-11-2013, 11:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

--- UPDATE ---

I took it all down and loosened the two hex bolts holding the V-Block and was amazed at the amount of play in that design. Never thought it could or would do that with the V-block!

I tightened the V-block just tight enough that I could still rotate the barrel a lil bit from L to R. Then setup the boresight to help me align it from left to right, tightened it all down and now I have rear sight centered L to R! After a little fiddling according to boresight Im on target. Time to go to Steele Peak and confirm!

Thanks everyone for all your help!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 09-11-2013, 1:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Awesome! I put my level on the top of the rear sight and the front sight.
Old 09-11-2013, 2:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Awesome! I put my level on the top of the rear sight and the front sight.
Just to clarify & comment on your method...

1. That would require a 3 or 4 foot level
2. How would that assist with windage check?
3. Your technique would never work on a Tech Sight or any sight with large hood or side blades as the sight itself is lower and inside of those...

Perhaps you do not own any Tech Sights?
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 09-11-2013, 3:41 PM

I chucked my leveled fore to aft barreled action up in a padded machine vise, put a level across the ears on the rear ears making sure they were leveled left to right, and put a level on the front of the barrel, on the dovetail to check left to right. When both were level, I locked the barrel down with the Gunsmither block. It worked just fine, owing to the precision of the Tech Sights machining. I own one Tech and two Nodaks, here's the proof...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 'ol shooter; 09-11-2013 at 3:45 PM..
Old 09-11-2013, 3:44 PM

Smile

Quote:
Yeah... I noticed that last night. Even though the title of thread says Tech Sights Owners. He must not have them, or doesn't have them on a 10/22.
I've actually got them mounted on a 10/22 Fungun build from Ojisan. It's a neat looking kit but the sights leave something to be desired. Tech Sight to the rescue. I had to loctite the front sight to a thread protector and install the rear sight between the ears of the Fungun rear sight.

http://www.1022fungun.com/store/pc/home.asp

I just have so many 10/22s that it is hard to keep track.

On the dessert tray of politics Hillary Clinton is a brand of ice cream that I wouldn't eat after a prison rape with a Presidential pardon at the bottom of the bowl.
Old 09-11-2013, 4:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I've actually got them mounted on a 10/22 Fungun build from Ojisan. It's a neat looking kit but the sights leave something to be desired. Tech Sight to the rescue. I had to loctite the front sight to a thread protector and install the rear sight between the ears of the Fungun rear sight.

http://www.1022fungun.com/store/pc/home.asp

I just have so many 10/22s that it is hard to keep track.
My bad... but how would you do the eyeball test you described below on a 10/22 with tech sights?? When the rear sight is mounted to the receiver and not the barrel?

Quote:
Pull the barrel and find a steady rest of some kind. Look through the barrel and find a small target at about 100 yards, reflectors work well. Are the Tech sights still all Marty Feldman when on target? It should be really obvious what part of the equation is off.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 09-11-2013, 4:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I chucked my leveled fore to aft barreled action up in a padded machine vise, put a level across the ears on the rear ears making sure they were leveled left to right, and put a level on the front of the barrel, on the dovetail to check left to right. When both were level, I locked the barrel down with the Gunsmither block. It worked just fine, owing to the precision of the Tech Sights machining. I own one Tech and two Nodaks, here's the proof...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I CAN SEE YOU LOVE HOGUE STOCKS!!!
Also are you sure you didn't mean one Nodak and two Tech Sights? <--- I see two Tech Sight front sights in your photo. LOL!

So you put gun in on its side and once you establish the gun is level then you checked the ears front to back for level?

Either way I got it sorted out... the V-block needed to be loosened and then it was easy to get on target with the boresighter. Tightened it all back up and now I'm ready for the range!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 09-11-2013, 6:41 PM

Hogues just on the trainers, laminate or walnut on all the others (lots more than I should have). Yeah, one of the sights is a hybrid, Tech in front and Nodak in back, works good except that even with the taller NM post the Tech won't sight closer than 50 yards. I bought the Nodak for it and am going to buy the new rail mount Tech for a Compact stocked build for the dimensionally challenged Appleseeder's and will use the Tech front on it. I like the Hogues for trainers and field rifle, they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.
Old 09-11-2013, 7:00 PM

I guess I'm not a very good explainer. I put the barreled action in a machinists vise, sitting straight up, like shooting position, level the receiver front to back. Then, lay a level across the rear sight ears, left to right, and make sure the receiver is level in that direction. Lay a level across the front dovetail, left to right. Turn the barrel as required to level the front. When both bubbles are centered, the sights will be aligned when it is all assembled. Hope I did better this time. I should take pictures.
Old 09-11-2013, 7:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I guess I'm not a very good explainer. I put the barreled action in a machinists vise, sitting straight up, like shooting position, level the receiver front to back. Then, lay a level across the rear sight ears, left to right, and make sure the receiver is level in that direction. Lay a level across the front dovetail, left to right. Turn the barrel as required to level the front. When both bubbles are centered, the sights will be aligned when it is all assembled. Hope I did better this time. I should take pictures.
That's what I thought, thanks for 'splaining it to me!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 09-13-2013, 9:55 PM

Smile

Quote:
My bad... but how would you do the eyeball test you described below on a 10/22 with tech sights?? When the rear sight is mounted to the receiver and not the barrel?
I've drilled a hole in the back of a few 10/22receivers so I can clean them from the correct end without disassembling the whole works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ2zxnMzhTk

It's a common mod and I've just taken to mounting the barreled action in a vise for the rough bore-sight. Fine-tuning is done at an indoor range so when I miss in the wild it's all me.