Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-07-2013, 9:43 PM

Default Question about buying C&R on Gunbroker

Having a c&r license, If I purchase a c&r rifle from somebody out of state can they send it to my home address?
Old 09-07-2013, 9:58 PM

Yes, you need send copy of c&r license and ID.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the confirmation, how about next year?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavelek View Post
Thanks for the confirmation, how about next year?
So far - No.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Yes, you will be able to do the same next year with an FFL03 + COE. You will have to report it to the DOJ though and pay an extortion fee.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading
Old 09-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Right now as a C&R FFL you can have C&R long guns that are over 50 years old shipped to you in California.

Starting next year you will also need a COE, but you will be able to have C&R long guns of any age shipped to you in California.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 09-08-2013, 4:22 AM

Waiting for my COE, thanks for all the info
Old 09-08-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
Right now as a C&R FFL you can have C&R long guns that are over 50 years old shipped to you in California.

Starting next year you will also need a COE, but you will be able to have C&R long guns of any age shipped to you in California.
I am interested in obtaining a C&R, but never really got one because I always preferred purchasing in person. So, does that mean I can purchase a modern long, have it shipped to my house and I just have to then fill out some forms for the DOJ? How would this exactly work?
Old 09-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvil91 View Post
I am interested in obtaining a C&R, but never really got one because I always preferred purchasing in person. So, does that mean I can purchase a modern long, have it shipped to my house and I just have to then fill out some forms for the DOJ? How would this exactly work?
What do you mean by "modern long"? Are you asking about non-C&R long guns or are you asking about C&R long guns that are less than 50 years old?

Old 09-08-2013, 2:19 PM
klaatu barada nikto!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The C&R license on only for those firearms that are 50+ year old. Less than that it needs to goto a FFL01 for transfer.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 09-08-2013, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Yup, until next year. Then it get's rid of the 50+ rule but you need your FFL03+COE.
Old 09-08-2013, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
What do you mean by "modern long"? Are you asking about non-C&R long guns or are you asking about C&R long guns that are less than 50 years old?
I was confused...you said C&R but the year rule doesn't apply...Isn't a C&R, long, a firearm that the DOJ or AFT, don't remember which one, considers and it has to be over 50 years old? Thanks for the reply btw!
Old 09-08-2013, 7:51 PM

Hey guys, I have my question answered thank you
Old 09-08-2013, 9:29 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
I was confused...you said C&R but the year rule doesn't apply...Isn't a C&R, long, a firearm that the DOJ or AFT, don't remember which one, considers and it has to be over 50 years old? Thanks for the reply btw!
C&R status for certain firearms was created by federal law in the 1968 Gun Control Act. There are two ways for a firearm to become C&R...
- Once a firearm is 50 years old it is automatically C&R.

- ATF can make a determination that a firearm is rare or collectible enough to be C&R before it is 50 years old. They did this with the Yugo SKS and the CZ82 for example.
California C&R FFLs who want C&R firearms shipped to them have to follow California law as well as federal law. Right now California law says most firearms transfers have to go through a California licensed dealer, but it exempts 50+ year old C&R long guns from this requirement. This exemption even applies to people without a C&R FFL. Starting next year all C&R long guns will be exempt from California's dealer transfer requirement, but only if the buyer is a C&R FFL with a COE.

Old 09-16-2013, 8:03 PM

Yeah, just got my COE, thanks for all the feedback
Old 09-16-2013, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavelek View Post
Yeah, just got my COE, thanks for all the feedback
Now you can also buy a C&R handgun at your local LGS and take it home the same day. Comes in handy when buying a C&R handgun from Gunbroker.
Old 09-19-2013, 3:18 AM

Confusion abounds.

I have my C&R but not COE yet. I bought a long gun online from an FFL who says that C&R transfers WITHIN CA still require DROS and background (and 10 day wait because of no COE). And, that there is no shipping, only face to face. Long guns shipped from OUTSIDE CA only require C&R, ID and can be shipped directly. Do i have this right?

Starting January, the FFL says the law is still fluid and people have to wait and see exactly what happens. But that said, if you have a long gun shipped from OUTSIDE CA, is it still the same rule except that you also have to fill YOUR OWN paperwork for registration and send it to DOJ within a specified time, with fees? And, that the COE is required because YOU wont be holding your own gun for a 10-day wait? Do I have this right?

And that said, it appears then that having a C&R for transfers WITHIN CA offer no advantage. I thought that face to face was all that was needed, no dros/fees/background check.

Is the FFL right or wrong?

Last edited by CharlesV; 09-19-2013 at 3:22 AM..
Old 09-19-2013, 5:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
Confusion abounds.

I have my C&R but not COE yet. I bought a long gun online from an FFL who says that C&R transfers WITHIN CA still require DROS and background (and 10 day wait because of no COE). And, that there is no shipping, only face to face. Long guns shipped from OUTSIDE CA only require C&R, ID and can be shipped directly. Do i have this right?

Starting January, the FFL says the law is still fluid and people have to wait and see exactly what happens. But that said, if you have a long gun shipped from OUTSIDE CA, is it still the same rule except that you also have to fill YOUR OWN paperwork for registration and send it to DOJ within a specified time, with fees? And, that the COE is required because YOU wont be holding your own gun for a 10-day wait? Do I have this right?

And that said, it appears then that having a C&R for transfers WITHIN CA offer no advantage. I thought that face to face was all that was needed, no dros/fees/background check.

Is the FFL right or wrong?
He is correct.

WTB: Double Action Revolver in .327 Federal Magnum

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 09-19-2013, 9:50 AM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
...And that said, it appears then that having a C&R for transfers WITHIN CA offer no advantage. I thought that face to face was all that was needed, no dros/fees/background check.
Right now having a C&R FFL in California doesn't offer any advantage for buying C&R firearms from private parties inside California. You can buy 50+ year old C&R long guns from a private party in California even if you don't have a C&R FFL.

But starting next year the 50+ year old C&R long gun exemption to California's dealer transfer requirement goes away. It will be replaced with a C&R long gun of any age exemption, but you will have to have a C&R FFL and a COE to take advantage of it.