Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-07-2013, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Default CDCR Application complete? Correctional officer guidance.

So two weeks ago I applied online and completed my initial application for the CDCR.

Anyone go through the process lately? Any advice? Should I have gotten a confirmation email after I applied online?

I feel pretty confident that I will be able to pass all tests. I rushed through the sample test online late at night and only missed two. If I had taken my time on it I would have got a 100%.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by whlgun; 09-07-2013 at 1:32 PM..
Old 09-07-2013, 2:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Not sure anymore, but they used to do this way:
1) physical agility test (run around parking lot with kettle bell)
2) Written test
3) Medical exam
4) Meet with background investigator
Old 09-07-2013, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
Not sure anymore, but they used to do this way:
1) physical agility test (run around parking lot with kettle bell)
2) Written test
3) Medical exam
4) Meet with background investigator
That's still the process, roughly. In regards to the confirmation e-mail, it took me almost 3 months to get one.
Old 09-07-2013, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushstage2 View Post
That's still the process, roughly. In regards to the confirmation e-mail, it took me almost 3 months to get one.
Good to know.
Old 09-08-2013, 4:49 PM

Does CDCR try to place you at a facility close to your home, or do you get placed wherever they need you?
Old 09-08-2013, 6:10 PM

They will try to fill the vacancies first. Some institutions have more vacancies than others. Also, in the past, they will give you 3 offers before you will have to reapply. That's if you declined all offers. That being said, just talk to the person who calls with the offer, if its not where you want to go, they might call back the next day with the institution that you want to work at. BTW I'm a CO at CMF in Vacaville and we currently have approx 60 positions open. Other institutions have more, just depends on where you want to go.
Old 09-09-2013, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddytguns View Post
They will try to fill the vacancies first. Some institutions have more vacancies than others. Also, in the past, they will give you 3 offers before you will have to reapply. That's if you declined all offers. That being said, just talk to the person who calls with the offer, if its not where you want to go, they might call back the next day with the institution that you want to work at. BTW I'm a CO at CMF in Vacaville and we currently have approx 60 positions open. Other institutions have more, just depends on where you want to go.
Wow that is alot of openings. I guess that is good for me. Not good when I get a job and have to work in a prison short handed.
Old 09-10-2013, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

Got my confirmation today. It advised me that I will start testing in October. No specific date as of yet.
Old 09-11-2013, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whlgun View Post
Got my confirmation today. It advised me that I will start testing in October. No specific date as of yet.
I got the same email
Old 09-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whlgun View Post
Good to see they are going a lot quicker now!
Old 09-28-2013, 8:42 PM

I'm currently in the process. I applied back in April. Process was fitness test (I haven't ran in months but was able to pass. Just dig deep if you're not in shape or start conditioning) after passing fitness test then it's off to written exam. Then live scan. Then a background investigator will contact you for any missing or needed information. Get your application and initial packet ready to go the first time to save yourself time if you can. You'll have an initial background interview with your investigator just to go over your app nothing to worry about if your records clean. But I got word my background cleared a few days ago and am awaiting my medical exam. I'm really looking forward to this hopefully everything comes back gravy. Good luck to everyone who's applying. Maybe we will all meet in the near future.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:42 PM

Sorry for the thread jack but do any officers know if there is still talks of layoffs. I work for county probation and we have seen some parole agents looking to get picked up here. Are institutions hiring less? Or did they just cut from the field? Thanks for the input.
Old 09-29-2013, 9:14 AM
Veteran Member

What I've been told thus far in the academy is that all institutions are short, so I doubt they are hiring less, especially with the amount of people that are going to be coming through the academy in the next several months/year. That is, of course, strictly speaking from the CO side of things.
Old 10-04-2013, 8:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It is now a 12 Week academy....There are shortages at all institutions. Overtime is being mandated to officers in many institutions. This is even though there was talk from the State HR that there would be 15 waves of layoffs due to AB109 (decreasing prison population). The math is this...Every year there approx. 1800 CO's and other Peace Officer Catagories in the prison who retire, quit or layed off or fired. There has not been an academy in two years. So doing the math there are 3600 positions that we are short, plus staffing a new prison with over 600 officers. This equates to over 4200 positions. Just imagine the overtime being paid for this shortage. Also imagine being held over (MANDATED) for the next watch, when you expect to go home....When you do go home and come back to work the next day and get held again for another 16 hours because you don't have seniority...There are even people who have top seniority being held over.....So even if they were able to start an academy it would be at least two years before they could catch up enough to reduce the overtime....

Thomas Jefferson

NRA Benefactor Member

California Rifle Pistol Association Life Member