Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pete View Post
We all realize we are on the same team.

I think the main point is how under the radar these new laws are. Just take a look at main yahoo page & you will see what they think interests the masses.

Yep, the media doesn't eactly want to point out to the public what is happening.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

While it's frustrating, we must welcome all allies with open arms.

The ones we really need to show the light to are the ones that post things like 'will the new bills affect my [insert gun type/hunting/etc here]?' because they clearly are in the 'I don't care if it doesn't affect me' boat.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 09-05-2013, 11:59 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
Now that all of these draconian laws are passing in California, I find it pathetic that everyone is coming out of the shadows.

I am seeing a constant stream of posts about how a particular law will impact their C&R, or their magazine for a specific rifle/pistol or a shotgun etc.

It is pathetic that now they hear some rumbling that some law may impact their firearm, NOW they come and express anger and wonder what we can do to fight it.

Day late dollar short folks. Where were these people 6 months ago?

Jumping off my soap box.
It's no different than those losers that reply that they already have theirs, or they have stocked more than they'll ever need, etc...
Old 09-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pete View Post
We all realize we are on the same team.

I think the main point is how under the radar these new laws are. Just take a look at main yahoo page & you will see what they think interests the masses.

Sad but true.

Also, you do realize how confusing these laws are? Not just 1 to worry about but multiple.

Big question should be how to we get the message out to the masses who would vote and help our cause?
The masses are great at watching dancing with the stars while Rome burns. But yes, gun law is obscenely confusing. Owning a gun in CA is remarkably complicated. Not sure how to motivate the gun owning masses at this point. Most seem to be oblivious to laws until they are passed, and then everyone is blindsided and in an uproar.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoff31 View Post
Not sure about 6 mos ago, but prior to that many of those people were voting for the politicians who promised to pass the laws they are now whining about. Some of those same people will vote for those same politicians again.
THIS is the problem. Exactly.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’
Old 09-05-2013, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoologan View Post
QFT.
I 2nd that motion.
sucks to see that we are so critical of people who are only now realizing these laws are coming. More people opening their eyes the better. We all have to start somewhere. Although, I do understand the frustration.
Old 09-05-2013, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk1 View Post
It's no different than those losers that reply that they already have theirs, or they have stocked more than they'll ever need, etc...
Still cant stand it when they say that.....you know whom I am talking about
Old 09-05-2013, 4:41 PM

What I find even more frustrating is the gunnies I have contacted who have told me...oh I don't care about that political stuff. SAY WHAT ??? With some folks you just cannot win no matter what you do.
Old 09-05-2013, 4:45 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
Nasty thread.

Your allies are your allies whether found early or found late. Not good to attack them.

If we didn't find and enlist them earlier, then that may be as much our fault as theirs.

Welcome your friends and disparage your enemies. If they will fight alongside us they are our friends no matter when they found us (or we found them).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^He speaks the truth

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading
Old 09-05-2013, 4:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Now that all of these draconian laws are passing in California, I find it pathetic that everyone is coming out of the shadows.

I am seeing a constant stream of posts about how a particular law will impact their C&R, or their magazine for a specific rifle/pistol or a shotgun etc.

It is pathetic that now they hear some rumbling that some law may impact their firearm, NOW they come and express anger and wonder what we can do to fight it.

Day late dollar short folks. Where were these people 6 months ago?

Jumping off my soap box.
While I appreciate your sentiment, I sincerly doubt that even had all of those "in the shadows" been calling/faxing/emailing along with the rest of us that it would have made one bit of difference. The CA politicians have been waiting for this opportunity and they would never have backed down no matter how many more calls/emails, etc. they received.

Look at all of the statements like those from Senator Yee stating , "99% of them don't even come from my district". If it's against their position, it is automatically "someone else's constitutent" and they just ignore it. Even IF they credit it as their voter, they feel confident in reelection so they will just ignore our opinions.

This has been brewing for a long time. Our only hope is whether any judges actually still have ANY integrity these days. I think that most will just continue their political hack appointee sessions...
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Anton Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
Old 09-05-2013, 4:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
Ugh.. we bemoan that not enough people are taking action, up to speed and aware, getting involved or even know what is going on and then when they attempt to, even if "newbies" people poo on them. You think you would be happy they are now attempting to get involved or up to speed. But noooo...
Agreed. Many people simply weren't being informed and some just didn't care as long has they could keep their over under shottie or C&R. Some may have even thought the NRA had it all covered. The fact that it took some this long to join the fight is sad but it's human nature. Some people don't care till it effects them.

The fact that they're at least joining the fight now is a good opposed to still doing nothing. The fact that there are newbs joining en masse is a great thing.

People come here to learn what is going on and what they can do to stop it. Our ranks need to continue to grow. And it would be nice if more cgners would create a welcoming environment to proliferate newb membership. Isn't that what all the banners at the ranges are for?
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Old 09-05-2013, 5:13 PM

Quote:
...Jumping off my soap box.
Get off my lawn!!
Old 09-05-2013, 5:15 PM

I would like to say in all the whiners defense.

I have enjoyed guns all my life. I served in the Marines for 10 years. have been involved in martial arts and introduce to the use and types of weapons of all kinds.

Until I joined this board a few years back I didn't know crap about gun laws for the most part. As a matter of fact I thought California gun laws were the same laws all over the United States. I had no idea there was an federal assault weapon ban and when it expired California still had theirs but other states didn't.

I had no idea it was perfectly legal in some states to own fully automatic weapons. I didn't know you could purchase and own armored vehicles.

I have lived in California most of my life and just thought this was how the entire US was.

This board is the ONLY reason I have become so knowledgeable about firearms laws, whats at stake, how other states are way more free than California.

A lot of people have lives that do not exist on the internet. They work all day, come home to family, drink beer, watch TV. the internet is really not on their radar. And unless you are on the internet a lot, you are not going to hear crap about these laws from the news media.

So yeah, it sucks there are so many uninformed people, but I get it, I understand. That's why I try to talk to as many co-workers and family and friends as I can about issues, because if I don't tell them they are not going to find out anywhere else.
1 Peter 3:15

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect

2 Corinthians 3:3
You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.
Old 09-05-2013, 5:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
Nasty thread.

Your allies are your allies whether found early or found late. Not good to attack them.

If we didn't find and enlist them earlier, then that may be as much our fault as theirs.

Welcome your friends and disparage your enemies. If they will fight alongside us they are our friends no matter when they found us (or we found them).
My post should not be taken as an attack, but rather a good "wake up" shake

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 09-05-2013, 5:44 PM

Educate them, recruit them, don't push them away.

Simple.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastureofmuppets View Post

Simple.
+1

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
- Thomas Paine, The Crisis
Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastureofmuppets View Post

Simple.
^^^^ This!

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
- Thomas Paine, The Crisis
Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I look at all the threads people are posting and it makes me angry actually. I have been fighting the fight for years now and these idiots did not show up. Now that their specific interest will be impacted, they come here and post about the stuff they are hearing at the LGS or from their friends. The sad part is these folks will disappear as quickly as they came.
Just go look in the rimfire forum. When SB347 included rimfires everyone there was up in arms that their 10/22's were going to be considered assault weapons. Now that 347 specifies only centerfire rifles they've all gone back to worrying about which scope to put on their CZ or is a 10/22 better than a 15-22 and have completely quit following impending legislation. They just don't seem to understand that they are going to be the target in the next legislative session.

-Ruskie
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed - where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-Hon. Alex Kozinski (Silvera v Lockyer, 2003)
Old 09-06-2013, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoff31 View Post
Not sure about 6 mos ago, but prior to that many of those people were voting for the politicians who promised to pass the laws they are now whining about. Some of those same people will vote for those same politicians again.
Some but not all will vote the same. I've been speaking to many local democrats in my district about whats going and they are infuriated by it. I ask them if they voted along party lines in the last election.

They say yes, and I explain that the senator they voted for has authored some of the bills. They're in shock. I then explain that it's time to cross party lines or push their dem delegates to nominate a purple dem. Everyone I've talked to gets it. I also let them know I'll be bugging them around election time.

It's about informing people. It's something everyone of us can do. We have a force of over 155,000+ members with over 30,000 regularly active. That's a large number to help get the word out.

The minority women (especially my asian friends) I speak with get really pissed when I repeat Yee's comment about investigating minority women who buy ammo. Even liberal women get pissed at that comment and tell me "I don't buy ammo but who is this guy to tell me I can't if I decide too." These politicians hang themselves with their rhetoric. We just need to let people know.
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate

Last edited by 2nd Mass; 09-06-2013 at 3:21 PM..
Old 09-06-2013, 3:39 PM

I agree it's frustrating, but we need as many people in the fight as we can get. I'd wager we all were new at some point or turned on to the fight for some reason or another. I was luck enough to have a very aware father who wrote letters to politicians before emails and faxes. He actually bought stamps and sent letters in the mail to fight stuff back in the day...

But if they want to fight with us, hand 'em an NRA coffee mug and welcome them.

Old 09-06-2013, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

This is precisely why the most effective thing I can do personally, is to get new shooters into the sport.