Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Did I hear right??

Did the full assembly just pass a block of bills including all of the anti 2A bills in one sweep without a vote or was that just a reading of all the bills they were gonna hear? I had 3 conversations going at the same time and couldn't tune into it. They suddenly jumped to item 137 on their list bypassing a bunch of other bills.

Thordo
Old 09-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Your livelihood is in danger. UBBT will be moot as BB no longer a locking mechanism and FRS-15 is moot as featureless no longer safe (all semi-auto centerfire detachable mag long guns will be AWs). I wish you the best of luck in making any necessary adjustments.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 09-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSICK View Post
Your livelihood is in danger. UBBT will be moot as BB no longer a locking mechanism and FRS-15 is moot as featureless no longer safe (all semi-auto centerfire detachable mag long guns will be AWs). I wish you the best of luck in making any necessary adjustments.
Yes. I'm beginning to know what Stag, Magpul, and a bunch of other manufacturers are feeling now that they can't sell to citizens of their home states. All hopes rest on Brown now.

Thordo
Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordo View Post
Yes. I'm beginning to know what Stag, Magpul, and a bunch of other manufacturers are feeling now that they can't sell to citizens of their home states. All hopes rest on Brown now.

Thordo
I can only imagine what that feels like. Give this link out to everyone you know to keep the pressure on Brown. www.DemandRights.org

-Cisco
Old 09-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

I thought I heard her say that items 3 through 58 were up for a vote tomorrow. I could me mistaken, they were moving pretty fast.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
I thought I heard her say that items 3 through 58 were up for a vote tomorrow. I could me mistaken, they were moving pretty fast.
I'll check the daily file tomorrow AM. I'm pretty sure I heard PASS.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleofthesun View Post
I can only imagine what that feels like. Give this link out to everyone you know to keep the pressure on Brown. www.DemandRights.org

-Cisco
Thanks for the link. I sent my letters several weeks ago and will send again. I posted this link on our east coast forums several weeks ago and the response I got was "let Cali slide into the ocean....

It is not a good day.

Thordo
Old 09-03-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I sent my letters several weeks ago and will send again. I posted this link on our east coast forums several weeks ago and the response I got was "let Cali slide into the ocean....

It is not a good day.

Thordo
I've been told the same thing from other people in other states. Sucks man.

-Cisco
Old 09-03-2013, 12:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

It is not a good day.

Thordo
Except now we can say......."but look at Colorado.....it can come to your home state just as quick."

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 09-03-2013, 12:43 PM

According to today's Assembly daily file, all of the 2A-related bills are on the second reading, and so thus can't be voted on today. After today though, if they are read, they will be on 3rd reading and up for a vote at any time.

Edit: I'm not sure if bills can be read multiple times in one day. Off to read the constitution to find out, I guess.

Edit 2: Article 4, Section 8(b):
Quote:
The Legislature may make no law except by statute and may
enact no statute except by bill. No bill may be passed unless it is
read by title on 3 days in each house except that the house may
dispense with this requirement by rollcall vote entered in the
journal, two thirds of the membership concurring.
So, no, they can't pass them today unless they get a 2/3rds vote. But they can pass them any time starting tomorrow.

Last edited by prometa; 09-03-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Old 09-03-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
Except now we can say......."but look at Colorado.....it can come to your home state just as quick."
thats because its taking "too long" to slide into the ocean. If we would just hurry up and slide away then bad policy could no longer escape our borders

*spoken of course from an out of state, California is dragging down the whole of America, point of view
Old 09-03-2013, 1:14 PM
Veteran Member

Either way the bills have to pass both houses by Sept 13th. Not sure which house you were referring to but I'm assuming the Senate. So my understanding is if they pass the Senate they will then need to pass the Assembly.
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Old 09-03-2013, 1:16 PM

Quote:
That's because they don't think what's happening in CA would happen to them. Needless to say, they are dead wrong. CA and NY are the front line, testing ground for anti-2a bills. If anti-2a effort success here, they will certainly move on and begin to do the same for all other states.

Old 09-03-2013, 1:21 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometa View Post
According to today's Assembly daily file, all of the 2A-related bills are on the second reading, and so thus can't be voted on today. After today though, if they are read, they will be on 3rd reading and up for a vote at any time.

Edit: I'm not sure if bills can be read multiple times in one day. Off to read the constitution to find out, I guess.

Edit 2: Article 4, Section 8(b):

So, no, they can't pass them today unless they get a 2/3rds vote. But they can pass them any time starting tomorrow.
They didn't actually read them. So I'm assuming that what I heard was that they were declared as having been read a second time and can move onto the third reading and vote?

What really gets me is that, aside from the anti 2A bills, there were some MAJOR appropriations bills that were bundled into that mass declaration of bills read.
Old 09-03-2013, 1:23 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Mass View Post
Either way the bills have to pass both houses by Sept 13th. Not sure which house you were referring to but I'm assuming the Senate. So my understanding is if they pass the Senate they will then need to pass the Assembly.
We' re talking assembly, but the senate has some pretty bad ones going through too.
Old 09-03-2013, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm_ View Post
That's because they don't think what's happening in CA would happen to them. Needless to say, they are dead wrong. CA and NY are the front line, testing ground for anti-2a bills. If anti-2a effort success here, they will certainly move on and begin to do the same for all other states.

I think Colorado was their next test. Ca and NY are their foundation. They should help us take the foundation out from under them.

-Cisco
Old 09-03-2013, 1:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

CA and NY are not a "testing ground" anymore. we are in the center of the anti gunners camp. CO is the new "testing ground", depending how the recalls go will shape the future of gun control efforts in other states. and the 2014 elections will shape the future of any national gun control effort.

Old 09-03-2013, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
CA and NY are not a "testing ground" anymore. we are in the center of the anti gunners camp. CO is the new "testing ground", depending how the recalls go will shape the future of gun control efforts in other states. and the 2014 elections will shape the future of any national gun control effort.
this is precisely it. We need to be sending our $$ and mobilizing Colorado for the recalls. We need to totally crush them there to stop the spread. Fail there and all the states will fall one by one.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 09-03-2013, 1:45 PM

Quote:
That's because they don't think what's happening in CA would happen to them. Needless to say, they are dead wrong.
No, they're not. California gun laws are not seeping into Kansas.
Old 09-03-2013, 1:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrass View Post
No, they're not. California gun laws are not seeping into Kansas.
Unless the Dems gain more ground on the Federal level. I love how free-staters always seem to conveniently forget the 10yrs of Fed. AWB that affected everyone.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 09-03-2013, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
Unless the Dems gain more ground on the Federal level. I love how free-staters always seem to conveniently forget the 10yrs of Fed. AWB that affected everyone.
Bush took office on 2001. The law lapsed in 2004. Did he repeal the law or order his BATF not to enforce it? Nah, Congress just let it sunset.

How many of the thousands of gun laws did Bush repeal?

How many DOJ pro-gun court cases did he order his Attorney General to bring against cities and states?
Old 09-03-2013, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Succession?: http://www.actionnewsnow.com/content...gtF6nRRqg.cspx

Move to the new state of Cali? I could do that...
Old 09-03-2013, 2:40 PM

Quote:
They didn't actually read them. So I'm assuming that what I heard was that they were declared as having been read a second time and can move onto the third reading and vote?

What really gets me is that, aside from the anti 2A bills, there were some MAJOR appropriations bills that were bundled into that mass declaration of bills read.
Well, now I'm just speculating, but I suspect the requirement of three readings came from a pre-computer era when it was difficult to track bills going through. They need only to read the title of bill, I believe, and they can probably, with consent, skip even reading that these days. It doesn't serve much purpose to sit there and read the titles of 180 bills.

But, at least they are still only accelerating a single reading at a time, instead of saying they read it three times today let's vote.
Old 09-03-2013, 2:51 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
T
Yes, I am also wondering where they are expecting to find the money for all of the items they are unanimously passing.

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 09-03-2013, 3:29 PM

Quote:

I can tell you that we in WA are very concerned about northward migration of the laws and attitudes. Personally, I feel for you guys and may have to move to CA. I'm sending letters, too, even though I seriously doubt their effectiveness.
Old 09-03-2013, 4:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes, I am also wondering where they are expecting to find the money for all of the items they are unanimously passing.
Well to be fair, if you mean dems, then yes, unanimously( I think we are spelling this wrong).
Old 09-03-2013, 4:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometa View Post
Well, now I'm just speculating, but I suspect the requirement of three readings came from a pre-computer era when it was difficult to track bills going through. They need only to read the title of bill, I believe, and they can probably, with consent, skip even reading that these days. It doesn't serve much purpose to sit there and read the titles of 180 bills.

But, at least they are still only accelerating a single reading at a time, instead of saying they read it three times today let's vote.
I'd say you're pretty spot on. They only read the bill numbers, not even the entire title. The clerk was reading them so fast he must be an auctioneer in his second job.
Old 09-03-2013, 4:37 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertjosh View Post
Well to be fair, if you mean dems, then yes, unanimously( I think we are spelling this wrong).
u·nan·i·mous·ly correct on the spelling.

Based upon the votes I watched, there were very few "no" votes. An almost universally "green screen" as the votes were cast. There was some opposition to a few of the bills, but numerically, it was minuscule.

Old 09-03-2013, 4:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There's an app for that: http://www.sacbee.com/insider/
Old 09-03-2013, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
u·nan·i·mous·ly correct on the spelling.

Based upon the votes I watched, there were very few "no" votes. An almost universally "green screen" as the votes were cast. There was some opposition to a few of the bills, but numerically, it was minuscule.
Ok, sweet. I suck at spelling and dont run autocorrect on my phone cause it bugs me. And yes, very few votes against, but I think they should be praised for it anyways.
Old 09-03-2013, 6:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodell View Post
I can tell you that we in WA are very concerned about northward migration of the laws and attitudes. Personally, I feel for you guys and may have to move to CA. I'm sending letters, too, even though I seriously doubt their effectiveness.
Bless you, madam/sir. I don't know what else to do, except to keep sending letters and contribute to the recall in Colorado, and keep talking to the people around me. Nevertheless I do believe we shall overcome some day.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I'm getting tired of hearing that. Some in other states actually suggest dropping nuclear weapons on us. They say we deserve it because "we" voted these nutbar gun grabbers into office.

It never seems to occur to these types that we're not all gun-grabbing, kook-fringe leftists out here. That some parts of the state are actually quite conservative; there just aren't enough people living in those districts to make much of an impact in Sacramento.

In fact, I wonder if the reason other states are "red" is because the population isn't all packed into a handful of great big cities; it's more evenly distributed in states like Tennessee. Back there, you don't have "blue" population centers hogging all the seats down at the statehouse.
Old 09-04-2013, 7:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylarz View Post
I'm getting tired of hearing that. Some in other states actually suggest dropping nuclear weapons on us. They say we deserve it because "we" voted these nutbar gun grabbers into office.

It never seems to occur to these types that we're not all gun-grabbing, kook-fringe leftists out here. That some parts of the state are actually quite conservative; there just aren't enough people living in those districts to make much of an impact in Sacramento.

In fact, I wonder if the reason other states are "red" is because the population isn't all packed into a handful of great big cities; it's more evenly distributed in states like Tennessee. Back there, you don't have "blue" population centers hogging all the seats down at the statehouse.
Thing thing is, even most members here on this forum would be out of place out of state on the scale of conservative vs liberal. So from their perspective most of us are quite liberal and disruptive culturally. The only places that trend our way are either democrat territory or cali expat territory.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 09-05-2013, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
Thing thing is, even most members here on this forum would be out of place out of state on the scale of conservative vs liberal. So from their perspective most of us are quite liberal and disruptive culturally.
Why, because a lot of us like GLBTs and weed?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaded Claymore View Post
Why, because a lot of us like GLBTs and weed?
Because alot of us put up with the laws, talk about change, scream molon labe, then not publicly protest when new laws are passed............

Old 09-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Calls/emails/faxes to Brown will accomplish nothing.

The ONLY thing these political hacks listen to are the unions.

You want vetoes...?

Harass the crap out of the unions until they tell Brown what to do....
Old 09-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
Because alot of us put up with the laws, talk about change, scream molon labe, then not publicly protest when new laws are passed............
Were you at the freaking Capitol a couple of months ago? Did you see that protest? It was huge.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaded Claymore View Post
Were you at the freaking Capitol a couple of months ago? Did you see that protest? It was huge.
Compared to the last Brady gathering maybe. There are 38 million people in California, get 8 to 10% of them out there you may have a chance. Less then 1/2% isn't huge, it is a waste of gasoline.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylarz View Post
I'm getting tired of hearing that. Some in other states actually suggest dropping nuclear weapons on us.
Hate to say this, but sometimes I can't help but think its time for a "danger close" airstrike...

-Ruskie
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed - where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-Hon. Alex Kozinski (Silvera v Lockyer, 2003)
Old 09-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
Thing thing is, even most members here on this forum would be out of place out of state on the scale of conservative vs liberal. So from their perspective most of us are quite liberal and disruptive culturally. The only places that trend our way are either democrat territory or cali expat territory.
I agree with that about a bunch of the membership here and it really sickens me.

“In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.”
Publius Cornelius Scipio

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem
"I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery"
Count Palatine of Posen